California Getting a Jump on Black Friday Shopping

Harrison Bergeron

IMG_0139.thumb.jpeg.adb548a51921c7596911293d56c18c06.jpeg

Just swung by here because I was flying out of Oakland.  Did not get crimed (although everyone knows to put your shit in the trunk if leaving vehicle).

I will say that for an In and Out, the access is terrible.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Just swung by here because I was flying out of Oakland.  Did not get crimed (although everyone knows to put your shit in the trunk if leaving vehicle).

lol, from Chronicle:

The In-N-Out, a convenient pit stop for travelers headed to Oakland International Airport and a buzzy hangout after A’s games at the Coliseum, has become the epicenter for crime in a city grappling with a surge in violence and theft. Since 2019, police have logged 1,335 incidents in the vicinity of the diner on 8300 Oakport St. — more than any other location in Oakland.

That number includes nine robberies, two commercial burglaries, four domestic violence incidents and 1,174 car break-ins, according to Oakland police data. Chaotic scenes unfold daily. Sean Crawford, who works in a building around the corner from the diner, said he’s watched robbery crews bust doors of work vans and heard In-N-Out customers loudly confronting burglars.

In one instance last year, Crawford and some co-workers were driving by the diner when they saw a car pull up to the drive-thru line. Two people jumped out and methodically went from vehicle to vehicle, robbing people at gunpoint, Crawford said. Representatives of In-N-Out did not respond to an email seeking comment about the incident.

2 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

In one instance last year, Crawford and some co-workers were driving by the diner when they saw a car pull up to the drive-thru line. Two people jumped out and methodically went from vehicle to vehicle, robbing people at gunpoint, Crawford said. Representatives of In-N-Out did not respond to an email seeking comment about the incident.

Lol?

armed robbery is funny?

• Hook 'Em 1

I tried telling the guy who opened a Jimmy John’s here in town he’s going to get crimed out of business but somehow people keep going in there and paying for sandwiches.  

He will get his soon, I told him people on internet are saying California is crime infested.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

to get back to the important shit:

pizza hut in hempstead went retro and it's spectacular:

960x0.png.70ba16ff271a0383b8d25bf28cd52dcc.png

960x02.png.35b2980eae675b011cf3d23e55001373.png

ratio3x2_960.png.620778ea00cf1cffc04099028e26082b.png

ratio3x2_9602.png.f97bdab5314f397190026faf76800dec.png

960x04.png.eb6bb4c5ea8c6b923c24103385a785d7.png

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/pizza-hut-classic-hempstead-texas-18598725.php

are we sure that’s retro?  it might just be 1985 in hempstead still. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

are we sure that’s retro?  it might just be 1985 in hempstead still. 

I just assume any Texas city smaller than 10k people is still in the 80s.  10k to 20k, the 90s. 20k to 50k - watch out, here comes Y2K! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, elfenix said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/pizza-hut-classic-hempstead-texas-18598725.php

Can I still get a free personal pizza from there if I read books during the summer? 

And they better have the tabletop Pac Man game. 

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

to get a handle on the anecdotal nature of this thread, austin violent crime rate is 430-450 / 100k people.  oakland is 480-500.  so there you go -- about 10-20% more crime there.

https://cde.ucr.cjis.gov/LATEST/webapp/#/pages/explorer/crime/crime-trend

Just now, HornOnTheBayou said:

Can I still get a free personal pizza from there if I read books during the summer? 

. . . if I tell them I read books . . . 

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

to get a handle on the anecdotal nature of this thread, austin violent crime rate is 430-450 / 100k people.  oakland is 480-500.  so there you go -- about 10-20% more crime there.

https://cde.ucr.cjis.gov/LATEST/webapp/#/pages/explorer/crime/crime-trend

. . . if I tell them I read books . . . 

Oakland was 1500/100k last year, triple Austin.  East and West Oakland are wild, all this outrage is sort of stupid because that area is worse than that around Hobby Airport. Awesome tacos tho. 

csb/ My buddy who produces the NFL draft every year.  He's shuttling back and forth to Detroit to prepare for the event in April.  We were chatting and he was telling me how some owners were in town basically just to discuss the rotation of the draft while seeing how it's all put together.  Just a boys club trip essentially.  The NFL is rotating it around, as you've likely noticed, to appease ownership groups who can't get a Super Bowl or Pro Bowl but want to garner attention.  Next year is Green Bay for example.  Anyway, he was co-hosting a dinner for them and some of them were moaning on and on about how crime-ridden and filthy Detroit has become under BIden's American Hellscape.  And we laughed like, "What the fuck did you think Detroit was like before?  It's been like that since the Nixon administration."  But he was genuinely shocked that if this is what extremely wealthy, well-educated people think...no wonder the stupids think shoplifting or theft in Detroit and Cleveland and Oakland just started under Biden.  

• Rage+1 2

I too am worried about violence.  That is why I am concerned that the liberal hellscape that is.....Wyoming....has a gun death rate of 26.1 per 100,000.  Whereas the SUPER liberal hellscape that is California has a gun death rate of.....9 per 100,000.

Sure, the bulk of the gun deaths in Wyoming are suicides, but a bullet through the brain is a bullet through the brain.

In fact, of the TOP 10 states ranked by rate of gun deaths, 9 of them are solidly liberal.  Wait, correct that -- 9 out of 10 are solidly REPUBLICAN, and have been Republican for a long-ass time.  If one is super-worried about crime and deaths by violence, tackle the Top 10.  You won't get to score as many "hurr durr, look at me own tha libz!" points, but you'll actually be addressing, you know, the problem you claim to care about.

• Hook 'Em 5

19 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

0c2d3ded-a659-4d2c-a659-9b673afc4240_text.gif

22 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I really don't think that is true.   I bet the vast majority of Pizza Hut pizzas are sold through delivery or pickup.  And...  Drive through small town America.  Those ubiquitous Pizza Huts that used to be in every decent sized small town are now out of business or morphed into some other small restaurant.   

I did a little checking and you are correct, that Pizza Hut is transitioning away from dine in stores. Ironically, they actually added more than they closed in 2023, but The trend is downward. But they do still have over 1000 dine in restaurants, and several hundred in California, and the truth remains that having in-house delivery drivers for those locations is a loser.

On 1/22/2024 at 8:50 PM, We’reTexas said:

Do you actually care about crime in Oakland?

Since you quoted @Incredulity, I feel obliged to say that all crime is bad, but not all crimes are equally bad. Some crimes are a minuscule threat to societal good compared to certain acts that are legal. Armed robbery, for example, is not a threat to our Republic, unlike his voting choices.

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, YGIFS said:

csb/ My buddy who produces the NFL draft every year.  He's shuttling back and forth to Detroit to prepare for the event in April.  We were chatting and he was telling me how some owners were in town basically just to discuss the rotation of the draft while seeing how it's all put together.  Just a boys club trip essentially.  The NFL is rotating it around, as you've likely noticed, to appease ownership groups who can't get a Super Bowl or Pro Bowl but want to garner attention.  Next year is Green Bay for example.  Anyway, he was co-hosting a dinner for them and some of them were moaning on and on about how crime-ridden and filthy Detroit has become under BIden's American Hellscape.  And we laughed like, "What the fuck did you think Detroit was like before?  It's been like that since the Nixon administration."  But he was genuinely shocked that if this is what extremely wealthy, well-educated people think...no wonder the stupids think shoplifting or theft in Detroit and Cleveland and Oakland just started under Biden.  

Extremely wealthy people also thought that the average home in Brooklyn could be bought for less than $100k.  In like 2021.  The wealthy in this country have no idea what is going on in the real world.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Good point.  His takeaway after doing this for several years is basically---the NFL is the one major pro sports product of the big 5 that tries the hardest to reach out to the working man and so elegantly toes the line with fucking with them while taking all their fucking money and making them smile in gratitude afterwards.  It's a really interesting balancing act when you look at it.  The draft being just another example.  It used to just be this televised thing, and then fans would follow it online, and then the owners in the north were like, "Hey, what if these blue collar dipshits up here who don't know how to vote their own interests...what if we threw them a bone and held a draft in Philly or Detroit and made 'em dole out even more cash in person?"  And it's working, brilliantly.  

And he was telling me tales of how the NFL production team counterparts to his team are trying to circumvent union workers at every turn in the production staging.  And he's like, "It's fucking Detroit.  It's literally where Unions were invented."  They only this week backed down like, "Oh the stupids still want a fair wage.  Dammit.  Did not see that coming!"  

• Rage+1 1

On 1/22/2024 at 7:10 PM, elfenix said:

We used to do once a week family dinner at one of those old school PHs way back in the day.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

We used to do once a week family dinner at one of those old school PHs way back in the day.

It's also where our family went after our Southern Baptist church service in my small West Texas town was over when I was a kid.

My dad didn't care for it too much when I'd put "Grease" or "Staying Alive" on the jukebox, but fuck him. Those songs were groovy, and I wanted to get down.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Extremely wealthy people also thought that the average home in Brooklyn could be bought for less than $100k.  In like 2021.  The wealthy in this country have no idea what is going on in the real world.

BBCF5B4A-094D-4C10-946D-BB4F610F591E.png.4799fb3c72fd0342521399fb971886b0.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Gov. Gavin Newsom has gone viral for shoplifting at Target. Well, sort of.

The governor didn’t actually steal anything. But as he tells it, he did witness someone blatantly walking out of a Sacramento-area store with an armload of stolen stuff, presumably right in front of his own intimidating-looking security detail. And when Newsom asked why no one was taking action, the clerk told him it was the governor’s fault.

Newsom has made it too easy to steal, he said the clerk told him — before realizing who he was and freaking out.

Newsom, who was Christmas shopping with one of his children at the time, said he was outraged. It’s just not true, he said he told the clerk. California has the tenth-toughest laws against retail theft in the nation, he lectured — in a way that must have seemed super weird until she deduced his identity.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I said: ‘Why didn’t you stop him?’ ” Newsom said he asked the clerk.

“She goes, ’Oh, the governor’ ” — he broke off — “swear to God, true story, on my mom’s grave.” He added that the clerk had the temerity to tell him: “The governor lowered the threshold, there’s no accountability. … We don’t stop them because of the governor.”

Newsom told the story this week to a group of mayors from around the state who had gathered on Zoom for a news conference on his mental health initiative, Proposition 1. He and the mayors were chatting among themselves while waiting for San Francisco’s London Breed and San Diego’s Todd Gloria to log on. After relating the anecdote, the governor added that he hoped the two mayors weren’t the only ones not yet signed into the Zoom. “Hopefully, all the reporters weren’t on,” he said.

Too late. The exchange, posted on X (formerly known as Twitter) and then picked up by television and print outlets around the state, quickly went viral — catnip in the heated debate about retail theft and Proposition 47, which reduced some thefts and drug offenses to misdemeanors to reduce mass incarceration. Some critics have blamed Proposition 47 for the rise in thefts.

Newsom himself came out last month calling for legislation to crack down on “professional thieves” without amending Proposition 47, noting that one of the wine stores he owns in San Francisco was robbed at least three times in 2021. He pointed out that Texas’ threshold for felony theft is among those that is higher than California’s.

But those points did little to calm the viral story. The chairwoman of the state Republican Party, Jessica Millan Patterson, quickly jumped into the fray, writing on X: “Shout-out to this store clerk for saying to the governor’s face what every Californian has wanted to say: that he and his radical @CA_Dem buddies are to blame for CA’s surging crime. Sadly, Newsom still didn’t seem to take the hint.”

Newsom’s office declined to identify which Target the encounter occurred at, to keep the media from mobbing the store. They did say the encounter took place in the Sacramento area, around Christmastime, while the governor was shopping with one of his children.

The exchange, the governor said, ended with an attempt at a photo-op.

As the governor was explaining how strict California’s retail theft laws actually are, the clerk, he said, “looks at me, twice. She freaks out. She calls everyone over, wants to take photos.”

“I said, no, I’m not taking a photo,” Newsom said. “We’re having a conversation. Where’s your manager? How are you blaming the governor?”

He added: “Why am I spending $380? Everyone can walk the hell right out.”

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

The governor didn’t actually steal anything. But as he tells it, he did witness someone blatantly walking out of a Sacramento-area store with an armload of stolen stuff, presumably right in front of his own intimidating-looking security detail. And when Newsom asked why no one was taking action, the clerk told him it was the governor’s fault.

Newsom has made it too easy to steal, he said the clerk told him — before realizing who he was and freaking out.

Newsom, who was Christmas shopping with one of his children at the time, said he was outraged. It’s just not true, he said he told the clerk. California has the tenth-toughest laws against retail theft in the nation, he lectured — in a way that must have seemed super weird until she deduced his identity.

ADVERTISEMENT

“She goes, ’Oh, the governor’ ” — he broke off — “swear to God, true story, on my mom’s grave.” He added that the clerk had the temerity to tell him: “The governor lowered the threshold, there’s no accountability. … We don’t stop them because of the governor.”

Newsom told the story this week to a group of mayors from around the state who had gathered on Zoom for a news conference on his mental health initiative, Proposition 1. He and the mayors were chatting among themselves while waiting for San Francisco’s London Breed and San Diego’s Todd Gloria to log on. After relating the anecdote, the governor added that he hoped the two mayors weren’t the only ones not yet signed into the Zoom. “Hopefully, all the reporters weren’t on,” he said.

Too late. The exchange, posted on X (formerly known as Twitter) and then picked up by television and print outlets around the state, quickly went viral — catnip in the heated debate about retail theft and Proposition 47, which reduced some thefts and drug offenses to misdemeanors to reduce mass incarceration. Some critics have blamed Proposition 47 for the rise in thefts.

Newsom himself came out last month calling for legislation to crack down on “professional thieves” without amending Proposition 47, noting that one of the wine stores he owns in San Francisco was robbed at least three times in 2021. He pointed out that Texas’ threshold for felony theft is among those that is higher than California’s.

But those points did little to calm the viral story. The chairwoman of the state Republican Party, Jessica Millan Patterson, quickly jumped into the fray, writing on X: “Shout-out to this store clerk for saying to the governor’s face what every Californian has wanted to say: that he and his radical @CA_Dem buddies are to blame for CA’s surging crime. Sadly, Newsom still didn’t seem to take the hint.”

Newsom’s office declined to identify which Target the encounter occurred at, to keep the media from mobbing the store. They did say the encounter took place in the Sacramento area, around Christmastime, while the governor was shopping with one of his children.

As the governor was explaining how strict California’s retail theft laws actually are, the clerk, he said, “looks at me, twice. She freaks out. She calls everyone over, wants to take photos.”

“I said, no, I’m not taking a photo,” Newsom said. “We’re having a conversation. Where’s your manager? How are you blaming the governor?”

Having worked retail as a kid, frontline employees have always been instructed not to confront a thief. It's a safety issue and the corporations do not want to be liable to anything happening to either party.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Having worked retail as a kid, frontline employees have always been instructed not to confront a thief. It's a safety issue and the corporations do not want to be liable to anything happening to either party.

I was in that OfficeMax at 5th & Lamar a few weeks ago.  I have no fucking idea how they afford that rent since nobody ever shops in there and half the square footage is dedicated to showcasing furniture nobody buys.  So that pen/marker/pencil station on the end-cap.  I get a phone call and grabbed one to jot something down on a piece of paper I had on me because I can't type on my phone for shit with my giant hands and carry on a conversation at the same time.  Anyway, I'm old now and must have just dropped the thing in my pocket.  So I skip the shopping I needed to do and started heading outside to the car to get back to work to deal with this issue raised on the call.  And this tiny female cashier literally boxes me out with her hand on her earbud and other hand on her hip with a "Can I help you sir?  Ready to check out sir?"  And her really snarky tone caught me off guard.  And I realized they must have had some 'eye in the sky' monitoring camera and I must've kept the pencil I was writing with a moment earlier.  So rather than cause a scene, I just walked back deep into the store and noticed I did have a pencil in my pocket so I just dropped it in the stacks and walked back out.  I just plain forgot and didn't give fuck one but it was a pretty baffling move by her manager to tell her to confront me over a fucking $1 pencil.  I'm 6'1" with extremely broad shoulders and those massive hands that are bigger than her fucking head.  i would never, ever physically confront a woman but her and her manager don't fucking know that.  To radio her to stop me over a fucking pencil, that's just irresponsible.  If you want to show off your loss prevention prowess, shut the fucking $40/foot NNN storefront for starters.   

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Huh, I was told shoplifting wasn’t happening.  Weird.

dude, you're the reason we had to put those big plastic handlebar things on cassette tapes 40 years ago. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

ADVERTISEMENT

26 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Huh, I was told shoplifting wasn’t happening.  Weird.

image.jpeg

Fortunately a citizen came forward to arrest the perpetrator.  Here's a photo from the incident as caught on camera by Bay Area Eyewitness 10 News:

Spoiler

image.jpeg

Edited by Bullneck
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Really? By who?

A lot of people.  People straight out of central casting with tears in their eyes.  Some of them may be rocking back and forth on their heels while whistling Dixie; or so I was led to believe.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I was in that OfficeMax at 5th & Lamar a few weeks ago.  I have no fucking idea how they afford that rent since nobody ever shops in there and half the square footage is dedicated to showcasing furniture nobody buys.  So that pen/marker/pencil station on the end-cap.  I get a phone call and grabbed one to jot something down on a piece of paper I had on me because I can't type on my phone for shit with my giant hands and carry on a conversation at the same time.  Anyway, I'm old now and must have just dropped the thing in my pocket.  So I skip the shopping I needed to do and started heading outside to the car to get back to work to deal with this issue raised on the call.  And this tiny female cashier literally boxes me out with her hand on her earbud and other hand on her hip with a "Can I help you sir?  Ready to check out sir?"  And her really snarky tone caught me off guard.  And I realized they must have had some 'eye in the sky' monitoring camera and I must've kept the pencil I was writing with a moment earlier.  So rather than cause a scene, I just walked back deep into the store and noticed I did have a pencil in my pocket so I just dropped it in the stacks and walked back out.  I just plain forgot and didn't give fuck one but it was a pretty baffling move by her manager to tell her to confront me over a fucking $1 pencil.  I'm 6'1" with extremely broad shoulders and those massive hands that are bigger than her fucking head.  i would never, ever physically confront a woman but her and her manager don't fucking know that.  To radio her to stop me over a fucking pencil, that's just irresponsible.  If you want to show off your loss prevention prowess, shut the fucking $40/foot NNN storefront for starters.   

dude, you're the reason we had to put those big plastic handlebar things on cassette tapes 40 years ago. ;) 

Your fanfiction is getting further and further afield.