Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

3 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Only on surly can someone turn Riley leaving Oklahoma into a bad thing for Texas. Perfection.

The only bad thing for Texas is if/when OU replaces Riley with someone better. They seem pretty pissed and emotional about the way things went down and that may lead to them trying something pretty drastic. Don't see them just taking it rolling over and settling for a Matt Campbell type hire at this point. They're bound to be circling the wagons (so to speak) pretty hard right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

The only bad thing for Texas is if/when OU replaces Riley with someone better. They seem pretty pissed and emotional about the way things went down and that may lead to them trying something pretty drastic. Don't see them just taking it rolling over and settling for a Matt Campbell type hire at this point. They're bound to be circling the wagons (so to speak) pretty hard right now.

Riley really was regressing.  All the numbers show it.  OU is methodical in the way they hire.  They don’t listen to outsiders and feel the need to make a splash unlike some other programs.  Texas should always be worried about OU, that’s the sad truth.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Xminus6 said:

Hahaha. We sold our house in Manhattan Beach 8 years ago when we moved. We sold for $1.3m. A house that was torn down and rebuilt across street from it on shitty side of the street (backing onto a tire store on Sepulveda) just sold for $5mm. That guy’s cracking me up with his concerns about LRs home appreciation “issues” he’ll experience in awful LA. 

You want to get your mind blown: during the depths of the Great Recession, the early agents on Million Dollar Listing:LA could not give away homes in the Hollywood Hills for 850K. Mid Century Homes with views would sit on the market for weeks.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Riley really was regressing.  All the numbers show it.  OU is methodical in the way they hire.  They don’t listen to outsiders and feel the need to make a splash unlike some other programs.  Texas should always be worried about OU, that’s the sad truth.  

The fact that there isn't a clear answer floating around is what concerns me.  Urban Meyer is a no from both sides, likely, and who else carries the weight to come in and save two years of recruiting AND prepare for an SEC move?

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He was going to have a ton of players returning off a 10-2 team with a stud QB having almost a full year in his system.  The set of positive outcomes relative to what you were looking at next year has to be extremely small.  If your AD gets a guy who keeps the train running full steam I will be truly impressed..

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

The fact that there isn't a clear answer floating around is what concerns me.  Urban Meyer is a no from both sides, likely, and who else carries the weight to come in and save two years of recruiting AND prepare for an SEC move?

I’m not sure urban has the stomach to coach in the sec again

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

No idea what to make of the next OU hire. It's been over twenty years since they've done a coaching search. Stoops can do the bowl game, but he's gained 30+ pounds and has been enjoying the good life. He's made his money, & can't imagine him wanting to jump back into the grind, long term. There's not a slam dunk hire out there. It's a dangerous time for the Sooners. 

2 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

If we are stuck in the 12 nobody is gonna let you win a title anyways.  That was pretty brutal in Stillwater.  And yes, OU got LOTS of ref help in the past.  Point is, take your medicine and make the right hire.  Nobody cares about this class.  But if you want a feel good fix it all, Cristobol could be that guy.  Again, Joe has earned the right to get his guy and we all trust him.  How the hell did he get Moser to OU for hoops?  Just chill…

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

OU is methodical in the way they hire.  They don’t listen to outsiders and feel the need to make a splash unlike some other programs.

Yeah, but circumstances are different this round. 1) you just got punked in the eyes of the entire college football world, and 2) this hire has to take you into the SEC. It's more important than previous hires from my perspective.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Agree with all that. But what makes this an interesting situation is the next OU coach is not coming into an ideal situation. You're replacing a coach who is averaging 11 wins a season with multiple trips to the playoffs in a 5 year span. SEC probably starts in 2023. Losing 3-4 games a year is a seriously possibility. Managing the fanbase's  expectations will be tough. 

It's also looks like OU was completely blindsided here, which surprises me a little bit. There have been NFL rumors with Riley for a couple of years. I hate OU but respect their athletic department. I think they'll make a smart hire, but let's see. If they hire someone like Leach or Kiffin that is extremely risky. 

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He was going to have a ton of players returning off a 10-2 team with a stud QB having almost a full year in his system.  The set of positive outcomes relative to what you were looking at next year has to be extremely small.  If your AD gets a guy who keeps the train running full steam I will be truly impressed..

See above post.  I’m ready for a couple years to get prepped as we hit the SEC.  I do agree in a short term drop off.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The more I think about it and read about it, Riley is really smart with this move. The move to the SEC is bad for OU and Texas, and I fully recognize that our conference is kind of crummy.

16 teams -- with about half of them that like to think of themselves as major football schools -- is too much. All it takes is 3-4 years of not winning a conference title and people will start to get restless given the success he's had at OU. Given how high of a bar he has set, there will be no maintaining that success with the move. The only direction is down. Instead, he can jump to USC and has the potential to dominate again like he has at Oklahoma.

As someone said, wish we could go back to the conferences in 1998 when the BCS began. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if we (Texas) don't win another conference title in 20 years. Having to go through Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma every year (even if we don't directly play each of them in a season) -- plus other schools like Arkansas and A&M is going to be fucking hard. 

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The more I think about it and read about it, Riley is really smart with this move. The move to the SEC is bad for OU and Texas, and I fully recognize that our conference is kind of crummy.

16 teams -- with about half of them that like to think of themselves as major football schools -- is too much. All it takes is 3-4 years of not winning a conference title and people will start to get restless given the success he's had at OU. Given how high of a bar he has set, there will be no maintaining that success with the move. The only direction is down. Instead, he can jump to USC and has the potential to dominate again like he has at Oklahoma.

As someone said, wish we could go back to the conferences in 1998 when the BCS began. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if we (Texas) don't win another conference title in 20 years. Having to go through Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma every year (even if we don't directly play each of them in a season) -- plus other schools like Arkansas and A&M is going to be fucking hard. 

USC is definitely an easier path.  No doubt about that

I don't know if anyone has already said it, but my thought is the best thing OU could do right now is try to lure Stoops out of retirement.  When they announced he would be coaching the bowl game that's the thought that immediately came to mind.  It would be the most seamless thing they could do - he's already plugged into the program.  He's a proven winner.  Owns a NC.  Could do no better, IMO.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Honestly I think thats the safe bet at this point, but OU fans in particular seem to overglorify Stoops performance in the back half of his career. I wouldnt say there was a dropoff at all from Stoops to Riley, there just wasnt an improvement. And if you aren't getting better it feels like you're getting worse. 

image.thumb.png.c5d7962d8525508d6dac03c104a2b58a.png

Texas fans would be stabbing grandmas to have that level of performance. Chitown is relieved they can move on. My guess is that Bob will probably  hover around the same level at best, and we'll see who they can lineup next. 

Yeah - the drop off happened before Stoops hired Riley in 2015. Riley saved Stoops from averaging 3.5 losses a year until he went the way of Mack/Bowden.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

This, in the short term.  Longer term, though, all of this conference realignment is going to end up changing the way the playoff is structured. The SEC with TX and OU is going to warp the gravity in CFB.  The new SEC is going to have as many (or more) quality teams as the other "Power 5" conferences combined.  Long term, I see an advantage to getting into the playoff by being in the SEC, which will get 2-3 schools in every year, versus each of the other three conferences getting 1, maybe 2.

But for Riley, only the short term matters.  What's the average tenure of a coach at the FCS level, anyway?  3-4 years?

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

He 100% is

Yep. It’s why if I was an OU fan I’d be cool with him gone. Not the way he left but shit if you don’t want to coach in the SEC might as well leave now. I’m way more concerned about what we got—

Also a lot of tough guy posturing in this thread lol. So what if a goofy looking 38 year old is getting a once in a lifetime chance to try and bring USC to prominence? Lol.

21 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I don't know if anyone has already said it, but my thought is the best thing OU could do right now is try to lure Stoops out of retirement.  When they announced he would be coaching the bowl game that's the thought that immediately came to mind.  It would be the most seamless thing they could do - he's already plugged into the program.  He's a proven winner.  Owns a NC.  Could do no better, IMO.

He hasn't recruited in years.  Only way that would possibly work is if he could lure someone like Lebby on offense and tag a HCIW title on him to try to stabilize program and hand it back over in a few years.  That is a model I could actually see working.  But Bob actually just being "the guy" and building a new staff from scratch and working his ass off like he did in his 40's?  Just don't see that as realistic.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Most college coaches are snakes. Clay travis, who’s loved around these parts, was making good talking points yesterday that college coaches are the only profession that doesn’t have a non-compete in their contract.

The coach of the Timberwolves just can’t go coach the Knicks or lakers if they come calling. But college coaches can cut bait and bail if the right opportunity calls.

Really turns me off for my love of college football.

That and the money they and their coordinators make.

Colleges will also kick your ass out in a hurry in a way other sports won’t. Firing coaches mid season is Al Davis behavior in the league but increasingly business as usual in college.

I don’t think the college coaches are any happier with this state of affairs. It seemed like Bowden, Spurrier, Beamer, etc liked being coaches. You look at Saban or Urban, it seems they aren’t happy a day in their lives. It’s not an exaggeration that the fan base will be calling for heads after a couple bad series, let alone a loss.

I would love to see real five year binding contracts with firing only for cause and non-competes. But the first school who made that kind of move is Going to be crucified. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

He'll coach the bowl game.  If they win, I could see the admin giving him a year deal to "keep the ship righted" while they do a search. 

It's not "late" in the coaching search game in a normal year, but it's not even December 1 and 3 of the bigger open jobs (TCU, USC and Florida) are already filled.  Once LSU is filled (potentially this week), OU has to hire internally, take a chance on someone, try to lure a big name out of college or wait until Jan/Feb for an NFL name. 

If I was OU, I just let Bob be "interim," kick the tires after NFL season on some coaches and if I don't find anyone, keep Stoops on for 2022 and be the main driver of the coaching market next year. 

This is absolutely what OU should do. Trot Bob out to tell recruits and everyone that he’s staying as long as it takes to get OU the right guy. “I love OU, I’ll be here as long as they need me.” 

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I would just like to point out the dynamic of stoops and ou handing Riley a very well run program on a silver platter. That doesn’t happen very often in CFB.

And what did he do? He stuck it up their ass and nuked the whole thing by taking the whole staff to a different school with apparently zero notice.

That’s some heartless shit. I’m sure they’ll be fine but it makes me smile.

USC flopped their nuts on the table. There weren’t a bunch of screaming corn dogs eagerly leaking shit all over creation because the head coach at LSU is literally the most important thing in Louisiana. They just got the right rich people in a room and did what they do. Night and day in terms of professionalism.