Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

Some of you get it.

We’ve been there. We had a coach winning all the damn time, had a title, a couple conference titles, and a ton of player hardware. We ran him out of town, said he sucked and have been playing UTEP level ball for more than a decade now.

Yep.  If Sark ever does turn it around and has some good seasons, winning a bunch, then having some shitty season after, we need to fucking chill and realize this shit is normal.  Look at places like Michigan.  People were ready to run Harbaugh out of town after like year 2.  Now theyre probably headed to the CFP.  

We gotta learn to love the P word around here.  And no I dont mean pussy.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, freyguy said:

If it's true that Matt Campbell initially turned down USC, then he's a dumbass...

He just fired out a 7-5 with a top 10 defense and Brock Purdy, Breece Hall and Charlie Kolar on offense…. So… yeah he may actually be a dumbass.

Of course he did beat us, but crushing our dreams in the middle of a really good year is not that hard.

1 hour ago, orangebird said:

True story -- a cousin of my dad's once owned a restaurant outside of Paris, Texas, coincidentally also named the Dinner Bell.  They served much the same kind of fare as this, as I recall.  Then the whole thing completely burned to the ground about 25 or 30 years ago.  We always kind of suspected arson in the back of our minds, as the cousin was a bit of a shady character -- but apparently the investigators could not ever prove anything, so nothing ever happened to him.

James McMurtry's "Choctaw Bingo" always hits a little too close to home when it comes to parts of my extended family, LOL.

Trust me I know the feeling. I've got family spread all over Oklahoma and Texas and that song just rings true lol though I prefer the Ray Wylie Hubbard version a bit more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Money is all young Texas fans have. There reaches a point in your life where you cross a line of demarcation, and the currency that is the most valuable goes from being money to time. The old cigar boosters with the deep pockets at all of these schools know they have a very limited number of football seasons left to enjoy. I salute them for taking their shot. Last year, I wish we had done a dynamic move like what we are seeing now. But we didn't. As usual, we acted like we are Washington State or Purdue. Many of us on this board will most likely never see another Texas national title in football. If I had serious bank, I would be on the horn with CDC. Alas, my broke ass will have to root against ou and aggie winning a title before I die. 

I meant that the attitude toward money - celebrating being #1 in revenue (my team takes my money better than yours takes yours!), the whole "we're the joneses we can money whip whoever" outlook - is all Texas fans have because there sure as shit hasn't been anything worthwhile on the field for a while.

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Hell no.  I actually met Bob fairly early on in Austin and never claimed to be a UT grad.  I actually came to troll when the statues thread popped up...then I realized, there's some witty MF's on here and decided to stick around.  UT site or not, it's the best around (by orders of magnitude!).  

Bob Wheeler?

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The guy who owns the drive thru snow cone places.  That's the guy, right?

Different guy.  I don’t know the current overlords of this site, and did not know one of them was named Bob.  Consider it a quirk of the UT intertrons that two of the site owners over the years have both been named Bob.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:38 PM, quigley said:

Specifically about Haselwood, there were rumblings about him portaling last year after the season. The thought this year was that he'd go the draft if he had a good year or the portal if he had a bad year. He had on 23 catches in 3 years at OU. He was a willing and good blocker at the WR position but not irreplaceable.

He under achieved . Nothing special . Tells you much about 4 and 5 stars . They don’t alway pan out .

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

could you please pay your band to play a 2nd diddy, something, anything.   fumble?  boomer sooner.  touchdown?  boomer sooner.  give up a pick six?  boomer sooner.  it makes aggy look..... competent.

Same song, played over and over and over again?

Riley will feel right at home at USC. 

Edited by flatdawgs

15 hours ago, Sarks Personal Bartender said:

From a boomer FB friend (I don’t care enough to fact check):

Nothing but facts:
Clay Helton fired Sept 13th. 
Sept 19th the 1st of 7 recruiting visits to the state of California (7) I said
October 23rd shut out first half in Kansas 
November 5th on bye week canceled film sessions with players and coaches.
November 6th another trip to the LA area.
November 8th the week of Baylor canceled practice for personal matter.
November 13th first loss to baylor 27-14. 
November 25th first article and tweet of Riley to LSU
November 26th Riley meets with media and coaches and says no he is not going to LSU.
November 27th OSU wins bedlam.
November 28th meets with team for 2 minutes total to say he loves them and he is leaving.
November 29th AT 5AM Riley and 5 coaches are at airport and on the way to USC. 
This was not 12 hours on a whim this is a process that included planning and TANKING.
Riley to USC happened September 14th.

Tanking?

lol ok

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, orangebird said:

True story -- a cousin of my dad's once owned a restaurant outside of Paris, Texas, coincidentally also named the Dinner Bell.  They served much the same kind of fare as this, as I recall.  Then the whole thing completely burned to the ground about 25 or 30 years ago.  We always kind of suspected arson in the back of our minds, as the cousin was a bit of a shady character -- but apparently the investigators could not ever prove anything, so nothing ever happened to him.

James McMurtry's "Choctaw Bingo" always hits a little too close to home when it comes to parts of my extended family, LOL.

that's called a friction fire

Spoiler

when the insurance policy rubs up against the bank note

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Different guy.  I don’t know the current overlords of this site, and did not know one of them was named Bob.  Consider it a quirk of the UT intertrons that two of the site owners over the years have both been named Bob.

Look for the aggy that looks like hobo Jesus. You’ve found the best of what we’ve got to lead us. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

riley is doing what he can to stab OU in the back.

Eh, I think backstabbing is a bit too much based on what we know.  He left for a traditional powerhouse in a recruiting hotbed and weaker conference than the SEC, and is getting a significant payraise.  All in a college football atmosphere where nobody's job is truly secure.  Big deal.

The tanking allegations seem like bullshit.  They're a muffed punt away from playing in yet another conference championship game, and both of their close losses are to the teams playing in that game. 

And of course the California recruits are going to decommit and move to USC.  Playing in their home state with Lincoln Riley as coach instead of Clay Helton over ??? at OU seems like a nobrainer.  I don't see anything to suggest Riley is badmouthing OU on the way out the door, to recruits or anyone else. 

Hard for me to stick up for an OU coach, but the uproar over him leaving is a big nothing burger. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Eh, I think backstabbing is a bit too much based on what we know.  He left for a traditional powerhouse in a recruiting hotbed and weaker conference than the SEC, and is getting a significant payraise.  All in a college football atmosphere where nobody's job is truly secure.  Big deal.

The tanking allegations seem like bullshit.  They're a muffed punt away from playing in yet another conference championship game, and both of their close losses are to the teams playing in that game. 

And of course the California recruits are going to decommit and move to USC.  Playing in their home state with Lincoln Riley as coach instead of Clay Helton over ??? at OU seems like a nobrainer.  I don't see anything to suggest Riley is badmouthing OU on the way out the door, to recruits or anyone else. 

Hard for me to stick up for an OU coach, but the uproar over him leaving is a big nothing burger. 

Well you do have Roy Manning recruiting for USC while employed at OU. 

• Hook 'Em 1