Herschel Walker catch-all thread

Gil Bang

Early voting starts Monday. I’ve seen ads targeting Kemp voters pushing the Walker character issue. Something like, “I’m a republican and proudly voted for Kemp, but character matters so I’m voting for Warnock.” Here’s hoping it pulls some over.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/24/2022 at 12:20 PM, Mole said:

Early voting starts Monday. I’ve seen ads targeting Kemp voters pushing the Walker character issue. Something like, “I’m a republican and proudly voted for Kemp, but character matters so I’m voting for Warnock.” Here’s hoping it pulls some over.

Won’t need to. We already saw that Kemp had 200k more votes than Walker (basically the same number of people who voted for Loeffler in the 2021 runoff), which means that 200k people aren’t even going to bother showing up to vote for him…but that number will be even bigger because a lot of people who pulled the lever for Walker did so because “I’m really just here for Kemp, but while I’m at it…” The people who did that aren’t going to show up either, and this revelation about the primary residence being in Texas will turn off a lot of them. There’s also the fact that the D’s already captured the senate, so a lot of those “I voted for Walker because I want the senate majority” types won’t bother either because “what’s the point, we already lost.” 

Multiple reasons to expect a depressed Walker turnout, and little if any reason to suspect Warnock suffers those kinds of setbacks.

• Like 1

Early voting started today. I’ve never gone on day one before, but was surprised how busy it was.

Regarding the ad with people reacting to Walker’s speeches, I’m not a fan of it. It probably plays differently in different communities, but from a rural perspective, it looks like more city folk dunking on a country bumpkin rather than highlighting the ridiculous things Herschel says.

Herschel is completely without substance when he speaks, but I’m not sure if this actually highlights this. If you live in a rural area, you get used to people talking down to you. This ad conjures up a similar experience — people who don’t talk like anyone from around here making fun of someone from the country for saying dumb things. The fact that he’s actually saying dumb things can get lost when the focus is on the mockery.

I hope I’m wrong. Maybe it doesn’t matter or maybe condescension plays well with the masses. Surely they’ve tested these ads and studied them, but this is issue that could hide in a huge blind spot depending on your bubble.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I kind of agree with you on the tone, but I doubt ad's are going to change any voter's mind at this late stage. The point is probably just to keep the runoff election fresh in everyone's mind and make sure that EVERYBODY who voted for Warnock, shows up for the runoff.

Emphasizing the fact that Herschel is dumber than a pile of shit and has no business sitting in Congress is as good a message as any. If it's a new ad, people are probably more likely to listen to it than older ads they have heard many times. I doubt anyone that voted for Warnock a few weeks ago is going to switch over to Walker based on that ad. But they all need to show up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

^

Solid take-Mole.  Something fell flat about that ad to me as well, not quite what you articulated so well but maybe it was part of it.  Yeah, if you just showed me their reactions without telling it was about Herschel and GA Senate, almost none of them sounded like they are from the South/Georgia.  Then when you slap on the Herschel audio, there is an element of condescension.  And they used some of the least outlandish Walker clips out there.  I dunno.  

Walker is just 48 hours away from being asked about the Vampire/Werewolf speech and replying:

"There's people out here talking about those Vampires.  And Vampires is cool, is they not?  I could be a vampire, they energy independent not using any of that solar nonsense.  Deep in my heart, I love wood-fired steaks with garlic on they.  Plus I watch those shows, they be having all kinda sex and I like that part of it, you know?  Sometimes, I get sick of running for Senate...maybe I could fly for Senate.  But at night, like they be doin'.  Also, I not even supposed to be in Georgia, but they just invited me right on in which 'cording to Vampire Law, mean I can stay and do Senate things.  If Doc Oz knew about vampires, he mighta won Transylvania, who knows you know?  I had something here from my staff 'bout blood and abortions, but I gotta go.  Y'all be cool, don't be doin' no werewolf stuff up in here."      

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mole said:

Early voting started today. I’ve never gone on day one before, but was surprised how busy it was.

Regarding the ad with people reacting to Walker’s speeches, I’m not a fan of it. It probably plays differently in different communities, but from a rural perspective, it looks like more city folk dunking on a country bumpkin rather than highlighting the ridiculous things Herschel says.

Herschel is completely without substance when he speaks, but I’m not sure if this actually highlights this. If you live in a rural area, you get used to people talking down to you. This ad conjures up a similar experience — people who don’t talk like anyone from around here making fun of someone from the country for saying dumb things. The fact that he’s actually saying dumb things can get lost when the focus is on the mockery.

I hope I’m wrong. Maybe it doesn’t matter or maybe condescension plays well with the masses. Surely they’ve tested these ads and studied them, but this is issue that could hide in a huge blind spot depending on your bubble.

I could maybe agree with you, but Walker hasn't lived out in the sticks for 40 years. And that's only if you consider Athens as way out in the country. Hell, the dude even danced in a big city ballet at one point.

23 hours ago, Mole said:

but from a rural perspective, it looks like more city folk dunking on a country bumpkin rather than highlighting the ridiculous things Herschel says.

What the fuck ever. It has nothing to do with country vs city. No one knows what the fuck he’s talking about! It’s not because of a manner of speaking or some accent. It’s because he’s saying crazy shit. To act like he’s being judged because of bias is fucking insanity 

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

What the fuck ever. It has nothing to do with country vs city. No one knows what the fuck he’s talking about! It’s not because of a manner of speaking or some accent. It’s because he’s saying crazy shit. To act like he’s being judged because of bias is fucking insanity 

Fair, but the bumpkins are definitely going to notice the conspicuous lack of drawl among the people on that commercial.  I think it would have gone over better if there had been a few Bubbas in overalls pointing out that Herschel sounded insane to them as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The dumb things he’s saying are correctly being judged as dumb, but that presentation — filled with people who talk nothing like anyone around here making snarky comments about Herschel‘s least outlandish statements — recalls the experience of everyone who’s ever lived in a rural community.

The focus of the ad is the condescension, not the dumb things he says. It probably doesn’t matter since I think Warnock will win, but that ad plays into everything the Herschel voter thinks about the other side.

To be fair, if they had used people from around my community to comment, it would have sounded like authentic frontier gibberish to the rest of the country. There’s a fine line between drawl and a mouth full of marbles.

• Like 1

Republicans should be ashamed of themselves:

Herschel Walker, the scandal-plagued Republican candidate in a closely watched Senate runoff election in Georgia, said he lives in Texas in a newly unearthed recording.

In a January speech to the University of Georgia’s College Republicans, the former football star stated plainly, “I live in Texas,” despite competing against Democrat Raphael Warnock for Georgia’s US Senate seat.

“Everyone asks me, why did I decide to run for a Senate seat? Because to be honest with you, this is never something I ever, ever, ever thought in my life I’d ever do,” Mr Walker told the club, according to a report from CNN’s KFILE.

And that’s the honest truth. As I was sitting in my home in Texas, I was sitting in my home in Texas, and I was seeing what was going on in this country,” he continued. “I was seeing what was going on in this country with how they were trying to divide people.”

The investigation further found that during media appearances and campaign events, Mr Walker appeared from his Texas home at least four times. Prior to announcing his campaign, the former Dallas Cowboys running back made 20 such appearances from the Lone Star State.

This is why I think polls are arguably becoming less and less predictive of actual electoral outcomes... because (like Trump) Walker is brutally and undeniably unqualified for public office in every way.  

And a lot of *R* voters responding to polls understand that fact.  But, you know, party over country, party over faith, party over morality, party over domestic violence, party over raising your children, party over a functional level of intelligence, party over grade-school-level command of the English language... 

And then after misrepresenting their intentions, they'll celebrate when Walker outperforms the polls, because "fuck the experts, amirite?" 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

This is why I think polls are arguably becoming less and less predictive of actual electoral outcomes... because (like Trump) Walker is brutally and undeniably unqualified for public office in every way.  

And a lot of *R* voters responding to polls understand that fact.  But, you know, party over country, party over faith, party over morality, party over domestic violence, party over raising your children, party over a functional level of intelligence, party over grade-school-level command of the English language... 

And then after misrepresenting their intentions, they'll celebrate when Walker outperforms the polls, because "fuck the experts, amirite?" 

polls are inaccurate because their methodology is outdated and inaccurate. I don't think it's any more complicate than that.

• Hook 'Em 3

• Gil Bang changed the title to Herschel Walker catch-all thread