Graphic. Guy shoots neighbors pit which looked like it was going to attack.

crash_davis

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckingVideos/comments/se0txg/dog_attack_stopped_with_deadly_force/

Warning Graphic. It shows a dude shooting a few shots into what looks to be a pit bull, or some such. Lots of questions with the first being, is the shooting justified? Second question is, who the fuck goes outside of his house to smoke with a handgun on his belt? There's no context but looks like the shooter walked out front to smoke, dog attacks, and he just happens to have his sidearm ready and waiting. Was he hoping for the dog to attack? Who the fuck sits in his house with his gun on his belt? And the owner never really bothers to check on the dog. He even calls for the dog to get and let's go. Dog is like "Motherfucker, I just got shot 4 times!"

Crazy.

Props to the two guys for not escalating it further. Obviously emotions running high on both sides the entire video, but they are able to keep from making things worse with each other.

Shooter is on is his property, backing up and the dog is going for him and barking. Especially if it's a pit, I'd be scared shitless if I was in his shoes.

Looks like everyone's day is ruined because the dog wasn't kept contained.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Can't watch a vid of a dog getting shot. But either way, leash laws exist for a reason. Bad owner. Tragedy. Lucky the dog didn't hurt a kid or anyone else.

But also yeah, who the fuck is strapped 24/7 and open carrying it around like that lol. 

Someone that lives in a neighborhood where there could be free range pit bulls? I had no trouble watching it. Those dogs are trash. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Can't watch a vid of a dog getting shot. But either way, leash laws exist for a reason. Bad owner. Tragedy. Lucky the dog didn't hurt a kid or anyone else.

But also yeah, who the fuck is strapped 24/7 and open carrying it around like that lol. 

Did not watch.

I would guess more than you think these days, particularly in a neighborhood like that.
But so what?

I'd guess that this guy has had problems with his neighbor allowing an aggressive pit bull to roam free in the neighborhood. And he was probably anticipating (hoping?) the dog would make an aggressive move on him on his own property. Probably an overreaction, but you can't have a dog like that off leash in a neighborhood with kids probably running around and playing. 

I got nothing against pit bulls, btw. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'd guess that this guy has had problems with his neighbor allowing an aggressive pit bull to roam free in the neighborhood. And he was probably anticipating (hoping?) the dog would make an aggressive move on him on his own property. Probably an overreaction, but you can't have a dog like that off leash in a neighborhood with kids probably running around and playing. 

Sounds like the dog was tethered and it came undone, per the owner.  He talks about how his mother had tied it up, and it failed.  Shooter was like dude how tf was I supposed to know it wasn't going to bite me?  But I agree, if you are going to have an animal tethered, make sure it stays. Sad deal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

yeah - that's what I thought about.  What if the dog attacked a little kid instead of him? 

• Hook 'Em 2

Not gonna watch it, but I sure as hell won't categorically say "man, he shouldn't shoot a dog," because I once had a bead on a similar dog and came a fraction of a second from pulling the trigger.

Out hunting in S. Texas, round a corner, and a pit-ish dog sees me and comes barreling at me, snarling and barking in aggressive mode.  Not our dog, shouldn't have been on our land.  I yell at it, it keeps coming.  I shoulder my 12 gauge, and tell myself that if he crosses that prickly pear 10 feet in front of me, I have to shoot to stop him.  Thankfully, he stopped a couple of feet shy of it, barked at me some more, and I yelled at him enough to make him turn around and walk away.

Keep your fucking dogs secured -- that's a good practice, folks.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Not gonna watch it, but I sure as hell won't categorically say "man, he shouldn't shoot a dog," because I once had a bead on a similar dog and came a fraction of a second from pulling the trigger.

Out hunting in S. Texas, round a corner, and a pit-ish dog sees me and comes barreling at me, snarling and barking in aggressive mode.  Not our dog, shouldn't have been on our land.  I yell at it, it keeps coming.  I shoulder my 12 gauge, and tell myself that if he crosses that prickly pear 10 feet in front of me, I have to shoot to stop him.  Thankfully, he stopped a couple of feet shy of it, barked at me some more, and I yelled at him enough to make him turn around and walk away.

Wild dog on rural land with is a "SSS" situation 99% of the time:  shoot, shovel, shaddup.

Wild dogs in packs = 100% of the time.  There are pretty graphic videos out there of what a pack of dogs can do to livestock.  They're f-ing little wolves and don't go for any type of instant kill.  They rip the animal open and eat it alive.

This instance is the definition of fuck around and find out.  Control your GD dog.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Dog owner did a better job at deescalating than the shooter, imo.  Not a bad shoot.

Absolutely, and that seemed to rub off on the shooter. Of course, if I was in an argument with someone with a gun, I'd try to cool things down too.

But I liked how toward they end they were both yelling at each other, but also saying "I understand" when each made their argument.

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Wild dog on rural land with is a "SSS" situation 99% of the time:  shoot, shovel, shaddup.

Yeah....I was maybe 17.  The idea of killing a dog made me sick to my stomach, and I really really really didn't want to pull that trigger.  I'm sure that if I had, the area would be better off because it doesn't need a shitty dog running all over other people's land causing mayhem.  But man....I just don't wanna shoot a dog.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....I was maybe 17.  The idea of killing a dog made me sick to my stomach, and I really really really didn't want to pull that trigger.  I'm sure that if I had, the area would be better off because it doesn't need a shitty dog running all over other people's land causing mayhem.  But man....I just don't wanna shoot a dog.

Nobody "wants" to, but feral dogs are a HUGE problem in many ranching areas and can cause a ridiculous amount of damage.  

In Texas alone, it is estimated that over $5 million in damage to livestock annually can be attributed to feral dogs. We reviewed national statistics on feral dog damage reported to USDA, APHIS, Wildlife Services for a 10-year period from 1997 through 2006.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Who the fuck sits in his house with his gun on his belt? 

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Can't imagine just strappin a nine in the waist belt to go have a cigarette.  

have y'all met surly posters??

😄

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Sounds like the dog was tethered and it came undone, per the owner.  He talks about how his mother had tied it up, and it failed.  Shooter was like dude how tf was I supposed to know it wasn't going to bite me?  But I agree, if you are going to have an animal tethered, make sure it stays. Sad deal. 

Don't fucking keep your dog tied up in the front yard. 1) Everyone in the video was wearing winter jackets. Pit bulls are not labs. They don't like the cold. Don't be an asshole to your dog. 2) This is why you don't chain them up in the front yard. Chains break. Especially when being constantly strained by an 80lb ball of muscle. Keep your dog in the house or in the backyard. If you can't do that, don't have a dog.

There's a sad situation around the corner from me. A lady is living in one of those campers that sits on top of the bed of a pickup in a neighbor's driveway. I feel bad for her because she's clearly not in the best situation. But she, and the owners of the house that she's crashing in, lets her big-ass pitbull roam free and untethered in the front yard. It's super sweet, but it doesn't like skateboards or bikes and sometimes it runs toward/barks at kids and people on bikes and skateboards. It can be kinda scary if you don't know that the dog is sweet. I want to go over there and talk to the homeowners, but I also don't want to fuck with a lady that lives in the bed of a pickup truck. It's easy enough to just avoid going over there. But they live at the bottom of a hill and my kids used to like to bomb it on their skateboards and now they can't. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Feral dogs out in the country are not uncommon from what I have read over the years.

Edited by Armybrat
Just saw Baba’s post
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Feral dogs out in the country are not uncommon from what I have read over the years.

An ex GF's dad used to farm in western KS and he said every couple of years he would have to shoot some random dogs messing with his cattle. According to him people in the city (5k towns) would just drive their dogs out to the country and let them go if they couldn't take care of them since there were no shelters around etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Why keep a pet that will attack humans when untethered?

curious about these feral dogs that kill and maim livestock.   Is there a huge variety of breeds or the usual aggressive ones?

Edited by closetohumping

That was one hell of a bad dog owner. If nothing else, go render some help to the dog while the pooch was still living and suffering. 

we have too many yahoos encouraging aggressive behavior and signaling in dogs.

That was a good shoot but totally preventable, if the owner gave a damn about his pup. 

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, closetohumping said:
2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Why keep a pet that will attack humans when untethered?

Me either. Shit I’ve got a fat sweetheart lab. That was a good shoot imo. 

29 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

curious about these feral dogs that kill and maim livestock.   Is there a huge variety of breeds or the usual aggressive ones?

All kinds of large dog. They get into a pack and get that mentality.  I’ve told this story before but friend of mines dad warned his neighbors like 4-5 times.  Dogs killed 2 calves in a week.  He took 5 (empty) collars back and left them on the front porch. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

There was a dog pack that roamed when I lived near Evergreen (mountain suburb of Denver). The old timers* said the dogs came from city people dropping off unwanted pets in the foothills.

* “old timers” are the reason why some people think of Colorado as the Appalachia of West, so take my source’s conclusion regarding the source of animals for wild dogs with more than a modicum of skepticism

• Hook 'Em 1

Someone that lives in a neighborhood where there could be free range pit bulls? I had no trouble watching it. Those dogs are trash. 

Didn’t watch, but found another Rex sock or one of his ball lickers like the 4doors douche.

This is extremely simple. Dog owner didn’t control his dog. Weirdo smoking while armed shot dog he perceived as a threat on his own property. Nothing to see here. And that comes from someone who loves dogs and especially loves bully breeds (own a boxer and an American bulldog). I would have reacted differently, but he was within his right. Dog owner shouldn’t be tethering his/her dog.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

All kinds of large dog. They get into a pack and get that mentality.  I’ve told this story before but friend of mines dad warned his neighbors like 4-5 times.  Dogs killed 2 calves in a week.  He took 5 (empty) collars back and left them on the front porch. 

So fuck dem dogs but fuck the people that abandoned them harder

An ex GF's dad used to farm in western KS and he said every couple of years he would have to shoot some random dogs messing with his cattle. According to him people in the city (5k towns) would just drive their dogs out to the country and let them go if they couldn't take care of them since there were no shelters around etc. 

People would drop off pets on my grandparents’ road all the time. I don’t think they ever owned a dog that hadn’t been abandoned by someone near their land. I can’t even count the number of strays my grandpa had to put down over the years.

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Been there done that, when they got into the hog pen. One of them was my own.

58 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

People would drop off pets on my grandparents’ road all the time. I don’t think they ever owned a dog that hadn’t been abandoned by someone near their land. I can’t even count the number of strays my grandpa had to put down over the years.

This is absolutely true. Every dog I owned from jr. high through high school was a throwaway.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw this pop up. Dogs. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-dog-walker-permanently-disfigured-bloodthirsty-attack-2-dogs-law-rcna13852

A Texas college student working as a dog walker was permanently disfigured last month when two dogs pounced on her in a “bloodthirsty” attack, a civil lawsuit alleges.

Jacqueline Claire Durand, 22, of Coppell, had just opened a home's front door on Dec. 23 to walk Lucy, a German shepherd mix breed, and Bender, a mixed-breed pit bull, according to the lawsuit filed Tuesday in Dallas County.

The animals were not in kennels and rushed at Durand, violently attacking her, the lawsuit said. Durand has undergone multiple operations since the mauling, the lawsuit said.

“The Dogs knocked Jacqueline off balance, causing her to fall and drop her cell phone. Then, the Dogs violently attacked her head and face — mauling her catastrophically. The Dogs were so violent and bloodthirsty that they pulled all of Jacqueline’s clothes off, including her blue jeans,” the lawsuit said.

The dogs tore off and ate her ears and most of her face below her eyes, according the lawsuit.

It alleges negligence and premise liability by the dogs’ owners, Ashley Jo Bishop and Dr. Justin Avery Bishop. It also names them as defendants in their capacities as trustees in a family trust.

The Bishops were not immediately reached for comment Thursday afternoon.

Durand, an avid dog lover who worked as a dog sitter and walker while she was at the University of Texas at Dallas, never envisioned how her fondness for the animals would “cost her so much,” the lawsuit said.

The day of the attack was the first time Durand had been hired to walk the animals, although she had previously met the dogs when she discussed the job with Ashley Bishop, according to the lawsuit.

The Bishops were aware their pets had violent tendencies, the lawsuit said, and the dogs were out of the kennels they were usually kept in.

The defendants also knew their dogs were aggressive toward people who approached the front door, according to the suit.

The lawsuit cited a sign by the Bishops’ home entrance that read: “Crazy Dogs. Please Don’t Knock or Ring the Bell. Call or Text Instead.” The sign also urged visitors to leave packages by the door, according to the lawsuit.

The dogs were captured and placed in the care of the City of Coppell before a municipal judge decided this month that both animals should be euthanized, according to NBC Dallas-Fort Worth.

Durand's attorneys have appealed the judge’s order to give them time to inspect the animals, the station reported.

Chip Brooker, an attorney representing Durand, said Thursday he's "amazed by her strength."

“It’s a day-by-day journey for Jacqueline right now,” Brooker said.

The Bishops have not apologized to her, he said.

Durand seeks a jury trial and compensation of more than $1 million, the lawsuit said.

The smoker walks out facing that direction. He is gathering information. He looks back at his Ring Doorbell twice to make sure it is recording..

Having said that, I've been working around a lot of other peoples' dogs. This dog was coming with intent to get within a foot or so. I doubt he would have latched on, but who knows? And the guy in his front yard doesn't have to find out. But go have a cigarette in your backyard.

Edited by JohnnyRage

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Pits get a very bad rep because of shitty owners.  I say this with my pit mix laying on my feet.  The worst this you have to worry about with him is being licked to death

Why do pit bulls have such shitty owners that they stand out so much?

Pits are terrible. Would never let one around any of my kids. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, RPM said:

Chain up your fucking dog.

I don’t have a dog, but I would check in to the new Texas legislation passed. I do have protection.

My recommendation to have a cigarette in a safer place is not limited to the threat of a dog. We don’t need more guns, we need smarter people.

Edited by JohnnyRage