Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

We likely have treaties with Russia allowing each other to enter territorial waters to monitor each others' military to prevent mistaken war. 

I think it's hysteria to think the world will doubt America's solidarity with Ukraine and Europe based on this single issue. I'm fine with closing down their access if it doesn't make nuclear war more likely for the reasons speculated about above.

This issue does not qualify as a critical moment. The critical moment was Biden's speech and follow through on devastating economic sanctions. 

Follow up…

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

https://www.axios.com/zelensky-assassination-plot-foiled-7bea049b-2308-4801-b75a-93104c17b82b.html

Ukrainian National Security and Defense Council chief Oleksiy Danilov announced during a briefing Tuesday that Ukrainian forces had foiled an assassination plot against President Volodymyr Zelensky, according to a Telegram post from Ukrainian authorities.

Why it matters: Zelensky has said since the start of Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukrainethat he would be a prime target for assassination. Last Thursday, he warned that Russian "sabotage groups" had entered Kyiv and were hunting for him and his family.

The big picture: According to the Telegram message, Danilov said that a unit of elite Chechen special forces, known as Kadyrovites, had been behind the plot and had subsequently been "eliminated."

We are well aware of the special operation that was to take place directly by the Kadyrovites to eliminate our president," Danilov said, per the post.

Ukrainian authorities had been tipped off about the plot by members of Russia's Federal Security Service who do not support the war, he added.

Danilov elaborated that the Kadyrovite group had been divided into two, with one being destroyed in Gostomel and the other "under fire."

• Hook 'Em 7

43 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Oh fuck.  If this is real, I'm gonna find a flabby, pimply, doughy geek and buy him a handjob at a massage parlor

takeaway - if you were mean to nerds in high school, you will eventually lose control over your own spy satellites.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

The language in that statement sounds strangely familiar. "Fake news, don't trust what you're seeing with your eyes" etc. 

It's has the moronic value of Trump, mixed in with the Rudy Guilani's constant bleating about 9/11 (or in this case WW2 Nazi's)

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Sad if true 

Fifteen percent of Israel speaks Russian currently. Many families there trace their origins back to Russia. So a sizeable minority of people there probably have Russian sympathies and are active in the Israeli government.

19 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It appears Vlad has totally screwed the pooch. He has two options 1) a massive bloodbath and the slaughter of many innocent civilians resulting from the fact that he's going to have to completely destroy Ukraines infrastructure in order to win ---- assuming that is even possible or 2) a humiliating retreat that results in nothing but showing the world that Russia is am impotent power in decline, depleting Russian cash reserves, destroying their economy, and leaving them isolated from the world for the foreseeable future. 

What a fuckup.

I fear a massive civilian bloodbath. When you rule by fear and strength showing weakness is basically a death sentence.

3 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

1056914693_oface.gif.3f65381ff461ccad341fe64356f09005.gif

Kewl a bunch of kids with no idea re: mission are dead...

Yeah, I feel bad for the Russian invaders.  They're mostly kids who didn't start this and probably would rather not be there.  And they're just following orders and they have moms and dads, too.  I get it.

But I don't understand how anyone who's watched this isn't rooting hard for Ukraine.  A dead invading Russian soldier bothers me a little less than a Ukrainian civilian who didn't ask for this shit.

Edited by TexArcher

55 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Seems like Putin trying to assassinate the head of a sovereign nation is opening himself up to fucking around and finding out. 

This was my thought as well.  Yesterday it was pointed out that assassinating world leaders is a no go for obvious reasons.  Well if one asshole tries it, then said asshole should be fair game.

33 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

What we need is more heavily edited "gotcha" recordings from the alt-right and more posting and snickering about it.  

The people you support are mature enough to be in charge of anything.

I thought the Breaking News tweet was actually quite good. I mean, when you're dealing with the part of the population that sinks their own rally boats, thinks that no testing means no virus, you really need to keep it simple. So kudos to the VP for reaching across the aisle with information.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Jhawkmvp said:

Fifteen percent of Israel speaks Russian currently. Many families there trace their origins back to Russia. So a sizeable minority of people there probably have Russian sympathies and are active in the Israeli government.

I fear a massive civilian bloodbath. When you rule by fear and strength showing weakness is basically a death sentence.

I can understand that fear, but I don't think the Russian army on the ground will stand for that long.  It's not the same Red Menace that Stalin had.    Even with using missiles and other weaponry of mass destruction, if enough enlisted/conscripted walk off, it will be much harder to complete said atrocities.  He is not controlling the message now, and that is going to do him in at home and in his troops. 

7 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

spacer.png

How many times have we heard how corrupt Ukraine is?  Burisma?  Hunter Biden?   They have nothing on Abbott and his band of grifters.  But hey, Biden should care as much about Texas' borders as Ukraine's.  Right...right.

Yeah, I feel bad for the Russian invaders.  They're mostly kids who didn't start this and probably would rather not be there.  And they're just following orders and they have moms and dads, too.  I get it.
But I don't understand how anyone who's watched this isn't rooting hard for Ukraine.  A dead invading Russian soldier bothers me a little less than a Ukrainian civilian who didn't ask for this shit.
Oh I'm for Ukraine, but the wrong Russsians are getting blown up.

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:
5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Oh I'm for Ukraine, but the wrong Russsians are getting blown up.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that you're not, personally.  I think just about everyone in the world is except for a misguided minority in Russia and, bizarrely, in America.

But rooting for Ukraine means rooting against Russia.  I don't want those young Russians to die in those caravans; I want those caravans to turn around.  But, since they won't, I'm glad they won't make it to their mission.  Lesser of two evils, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

If someone has a Purple Sharpie handy, that triangle over Brazos County needs enlarging.

I'm surprised they didn't include it in this list of things coming soon to prove how up and coming they are.

spacer.png

As much optimism there seems to be on social media, this war is beginning to remind me of Syria where the West has no realistic chance of victory and our further intervention will only serve to escalate the conflict resulting in further destruction of the country. 

In the final analysis, imo, the only chance the West had of keeping Russia out of Kiev was to have Kiev tread a much more delicate and neutral path towards Russia following 2014. They simply bit off more than they could chew and we encouraged it at every step along the way. 

6 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

the final analysis, imo, the only chance the West had of keeping Russia out of Kiev was to have Kiev tread a much more delicate and neutral path towards Russia following 2014.

I’m sorry but this is bullshit.  Putin was invading Ukraine because of his failure there in 2014. Perhaps we could have done more to deter Russia from invading, maybe.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

As much optimism there seems to be on social media, this war is beginning to remind me of Syria where the West has no realistic chance of victory and our further intervention will only serve to escalate the conflict resulting in further destruction of the country. 

You are not understanding what "victory" is.  The whole world has changed 180 degrees since WW II or whatever Putin thinks "victory  will be.

Putin/Russia may end up holding territory for a brief while, though I don't believe even that is true.  They are going to have to level/annhiliate Ukraine in order to "win"  but that victory is a chimera: they will eventually have to go home but only after showing the entire world how vacuous and immoral their leadership is.

I feel a tad bit of sadness for the ordinary Russian who's just trapped in this and unable to do anything to change it.  But that's just the way it goes. They put up with a madman for way too long, he ended up doing madman things, and  now they'll pay the price for that terrible choice.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1