Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I believe that is a FSB leak and, if so ... wow. Putin is bigtime bigtime fucked.

The part at the end about not knowing if the nuclear arsenal will even work if called upon strikes me as being absolutely true.  I think the Russian nuclear arsenal is suspect.  I didn't know you have to switch plutonium loads every 10 years. I'd bet they haven't done so.  There are some bureaucrats somewhere who write a report that it got done and meanwhile they're trying to sell the plutonium on the black market.  Russia is and has been so corrupt for its entire history. Corruption is a way of doing business there.

Obviously don't know if this is "real" or not but I do believe one line from the doc: for Russia, there is no victory in this, only permutations of losses. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Russia is and has been so corrupt for its entire history. Corruption is a way of doing business there.

And this is why Trump loves putin and Russia so much

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

How does anyone know for sure the plutonium has to be changed every 10 years? Has anyone tried letting it go 20 then detonating a test? 30? 

Part of that reads as probable, especially the logistics fuck ups and yes men aspect of the whole thing. We've seen it first hand in their military's capabilities and sloppiness. Parts read as hopeful fan fiction. Who knows at this point. 

If Putin's daughters really are in Switzerland they need to be arrested and deported immediately. Putin needs to know they go down with him if he takes things nuclear. 

15 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If Putin's daughters really are in Switzerland they need to be arrested and deported immediately. Putin needs to know they go down with him if he takes things nuclear. 

I'd keep them real close.

2 minutes ago, Bookman said:

I'd keep them real close.

You can deport them to another European country or the US and really make the statement but I'm sure that would be seen as escalation by holding Putin's daughters hostage as collateral against nuclear war. Either way they need to not be allowed to escape catastrophe should Putin initiate it. 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They should be “detained.”

I wonder if that’s the same mistress that once vacationed with Ivanka.

dengmurdochtrump.png?itok=1-0J7geG
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/291465-ivanka-trump-vacationing-with-putins-rumored-girlfriend

Come on Putin…. If you’re gonna have a sugar baby that you are gonna hole up in a Swiss chalet, you gotta do a whole lot better than that or the whole world is gonna know you are a beta!

22 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Come on Putin…. If you’re gonna have a sugar baby that you are gonna hole up in a Swiss chalet, you gotta do a whole lot better than that or the whole world is gonna know you are a beta!

No shit.  The richest dude on earth, who has access to nukes and this is the best he can do?  She's a beard. 

• Hook 'Em 3

https://news.yahoo.com/kremlin-says-russian-military-action-115703035.html

Russia has told Ukraine it is ready to halt military operations "in a moment" if Kyiv meets a list of conditions, the Kremlin spokesman said on Monday.

Dmitry Peskov said Moscow was demanding that Ukraine cease military action, change its constitution to enshrine neutrality, acknowledge Crimea as Russian territory, and recognise the separatist republics of Donetsk and Lugansk as independent states.

----

My response would be I would allow Donetsk and Lugansk to vote, overseen by a third party country like Sweden, to determine if they want to be independent or stay in Ukraine.  For neutrality, only with the conditions that any invasion by Russia results in immediate NATO membership and an arms purchasing agreement with the US.  Don't know about Crimea.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Russia has told Ukraine it is ready to halt military operations "in a moment" if Kyiv meets a list of conditions, the Kremlin spokesman said on Monday.

Dmitry Peskov said Moscow was demanding that Ukraine cease military action, change its constitution to enshrine neutrality, acknowledge Crimea as Russian territory, and recognise the separatist republics of Donetsk and Lugansk as independent states.

----

My response would be I would allow Donetsk and Lugansk to vote, overseen by a third party country like Sweden, to determine if they want to be independent or stay in Ukraine.  For neutrality, only with the conditions that any invasion by Russia results in immediate NATO membership and an arms purchasing agreement with the US.  Don't know about Crimea.

What change in its constitution would "enshrine neutrality"? But, honestly, we know Putin doesn't mean it. He'll require Ukraine to disarm so that his next "police action" doesn't suffer any resistance. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/4/2022 at 2:14 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Point of order, non-US citizens are still entitled to due process.  

I support the seizure of such assets, despite my opposition to, inter alia, civil asset forfeiture.  But I am a bit curious about the legal basis for it and what sort of "procedure" will be applied after the seizure.

And, I am not comparing oligarchs to Japanese-Americans, but I think it is worth considering that "wartime zeal" is what gets you shit like Korematsu.

Only when such non-citizen is physically within the U.S. 

Unfortunate little caveat for drone targets, GITMO detainees, and Russian oligarchs.

• Hook 'Em 1

----

Ha. No.

The one thing that I wondered about last night was if the US legal moves to secure and freeze Russian assets in the US begins to show a pattern of inflated transactions with the GOP's former dear leader (trump) that accidentally builds a money laundering case?

5 minutes ago, horn4life said:

The one thing that I wondered about last night was if the US legal moves to secure and freeze Russian assets in the US begins to show a pattern of inflated transactions with the GOP's former dear leader (trump) that accidentally builds a money laundering case?

You'd probably need a forensic accounting to find something like that, and I doubt they dig into the transaction history too much in the seizure process.

31 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

You'd probably need a forensic accounting to find something like that, and I doubt they dig into the transaction history too much in the seizure process.

Yeah, but all the Trump business cards in those Yachts probably raise some questions.  

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Nope.  Putin doesn't get rewarded for invasion.  Foreign powers can't just divvy up the country into voting blocks they think are favorable to them and then call it democracy. 

In the end, it's Ukraine's decision, but that's a candy coated bullshit offer. 

• Hook 'Em 5

The Evacuation Route from Mariupol is Mined, Corridors Lead to Russia and Belarus

The evacuation route from Mariupol was mined. That's according to Dominik Stillhart, director of operations for the International Committee of the Red Cross. He spoke to BBC Radio 4 Today about the problems with the so-called humanitarian corridors for the evacuation of civilians from bombed-out Ukrainian cities.

The Red Cross talked for days with both sides, but the result was only agreements in principle, which were violated immediately because the roads were not precisely defined, nor who could cross them. He illustrates his words with an example. Officials of the International Red Cross, who were trying to leave Mariupol on Sunday on the approved route, realized that the road was actually mined.

It also turns out that some of the humanitarian corridors opened by the Russian military allow people to enter only the territory of Belarus or Russia, the Russian edition of BBC. The evacuation routes, published by the Russian news agency RIA Novosti, show that the corridor from Kyiv includes people leaving for Belarus, and from Kharkiv - only a corridor leading to Russia.

The corridors from Mariupol and Sumy provide access to both Ukrainian cities and Russia, AFP reported.

A spokesman for Volodymyr Zelensky called it “immoral” and British Minister James Cleverly called it “cynical to infinity”.

French President Emmanuel Macron also reacted by saying he did not want corridors to Russia, the French channel BFMTV reported.

“The President of the Republic neither wanted nor received corridors to Russia after his conversation with Vladimir Putin,” the Elysee Presidential Palace told BFMTV.

“The president of the republic insists on allowing the civilian population to leave the country and to allow the transportation of aid,” they added.

There is still no independent information on whether the evacuation has begun.

This is the second large-scale opening of roads for the evacuation of the civilian population after the first attempt on Saturday failed under fire from the Russian military.

https://www.novinite.com/articles/214142/The+Evacuation+Route+from+Mariupol+is+Mined%2C+Corridors+Lead+to+Russia+and+Belarus

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

----

I tell Putin that at this rate his own people are going to murder him before long. He's completely ruined all of their lives and they will revolt. He knows that and we know that. 

So the deal is he can turn himself in and we'll let him choose between life imprisonment or death by manner of his choosing. Combined with that his family will be unharmed and allowed to live free.

If he doesn't accept then we'll encourage and aid his people in murdering him in most torturous and gruesome way possible then once he's overthrown we take his family and torture them too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

53 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Nope.  Putin doesn't get rewarded for invasion.  Foreign powers can't just divvy up the country into voting blocks they think are favorable to them and then call it democracy. 

In the end, it's Ukraine's decision, but that's a candy coated bullshit offer. 

I think there is still a lot of belief that Ukraine cannot win longterm. I would want to be sure that anyone in those regions who don't want to be Russian are let out and are accepted in Ukraine. I hate any idea of letting Putin win anything, but it sounds like this is far less than he wanted before, and as we've seen throughout history, a "promise" of neutrality is just that, a promise that can be broken. I imagine the terms would change drastically once Putin is in the grave. I hope Ukraine can hold out and force Russia back and into international isolation. I would absolutely hate to be the one having to make these decisions.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think there is still a lot of belief that Ukraine cannot win longterm. I would want to be sure that anyone in those regions who don't want to be Russian are let out and are accepted in Ukraine. I hate any idea of letting Putin win anything, but it sounds like this is far less than he wanted before, and as we've seen throughout history, a "promise" of neutrality is just that, a promise that can be broken. I imagine the terms would change drastically once Putin is in the grave. I hope Ukraine can hold out and force Russia back and into international isolation. I would absolutely hate to be the one having to make these decisions.

An alternative is to give any Ukrainian, who wants to join Russia, free passage to Russia. Throw in some Rubles on their way out the door with an offer to buy any property at fair market value.  Just hand in your Ukrainian passport when you cross the border.  If it's truly not a land grab, let Putin prove it by happily welcoming these Russian patriots home.

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I tell Putin that at this rate his own people are going to murder him before long. He's completely ruined all of their lives and they will revolt. He knows that and we know that. 

It won't be for lack of trying, but by all accounts Putin is an extraordinarily paranoid man, and he's insulated by a very few and very loyal men on his side.  Outside of some sort of mass casualty event, it would probably be necessary to flip one of his loyalists, and that is unlikely.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It won't be for lack of trying, but by all accounts Putin is an extraordinarily paranoid man, and he's insulated by a very few and very loyal men on his side.  Outside of some sort of mass casualty event, it would probably be necessary to flip one of his loyalists, and that is unlikely.

All it takes is for the many in the military to tell him and his small group to get fucked and if you have a problem with that step out here and tell us about it. As soon as they realize this and get organized it will happen. The hurdle is they're scared to get organized because you don't know who will turn you in to Putin. 

Well, the more they starve and the more desperate they get that fear turns to anger and will get louder until they realize they're all on the same side and that side is killing Putin and his sycophants 

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

----

Damn nice of Putin not to insist that Ukraine depose their ebil Jewish Nazi leader. He also didn't insist that Ukraine farmers stop hauling away his tanks and armored vehicles.

Russia was running a very effective war by other means. My understanding is that the whole point was to make the West believe their governments were about the same as Russia's, and there was nothing they can do about it. 

Putin has blundered that all away with a converntional invasion against a sovereign country conducted with such brutality and so little provocation that the world can't help but see the difference between his autocracy and the West. The post above about Putin being the best thing for NATO ever is shiningly true.

He may even do us the favor of discrediting and exposing the GЯP as traitors. 

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Damn nice of Putin not to insist that Ukraine depose their ebil Jewish Nazi leader. He also didn't insist that Ukraine farmers stop hauling away his tanks and armored vehicles.

Russia was running a very effective war by other means. My understanding is that the whole point was to make the West believe their governments were about the same as Russia's, and there was nothing they can do about it. 

Putin has blundered that all away with a converntional invasion against a sovereign country conducted with such brutality and so little provocation that the world can't help but see the difference between his autocracy and the West. The post above about Putin being the best thing for NATO ever is shiningly true.

He may even do us the favor of discrediting and exposing the GЯP as traitors. 

If you cannot see that they were traitors before 2022, than you never will.  

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

No, I'm sorry but unless they're surrounded by friends at Ralph's on the Boulevard Saint-Germain with food and a couple of  bottles of wine, the French always have that expression.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
le spelling

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

----

Russia don't give a shit about agreements. 

In 1994, the Ukrainian government signed a memorandum that brought its country into the global Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty while formally relinquishing its status as a nuclear state. The text of that agreement stated that in exchange for the step, the “Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

seems legit

250 MBs of ram is an astonishingly small amount, even for 14 years ago. Window's Vista came out in 2007 and its minimum requirement was 512 MB of ram. You'd have to go back to like 2002 for 250 MBs to be acceptable.