Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

11 hours ago, South Austin said:

Didn’t watch any of this last night, but reading the thread is a reminder of how fucked up Hollywood can be. These actors–the ones like Will Smith who are the blockbuster stars making millions—are living a life where every day people are telling them how great they are and throwing money at them, while working on a massive movie set where everyone is so painfully serious about playing pretend. So much of their waking life is literally make believe. It’s such a huge detachment from reality. It makes it tough for even seemingly good guys like Tom Hanks from staying grounded.

I say this as someone who still loves the movies.

I agree with it as someone who is hugely detached from reality.

38 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

I’ve seen a lot of African American celebrities and entertainers tweets today, and the multitude of them seem to have at least appreciated, if not outright enjoyed and celebrated in, the slap.

Granted it was via listicles that collated for that specific consumption, but this thread’s demographic doesn’t live on that side of culture, but I can assure you this isn’t as one-sided of an L for Will Smith as this huge thread (sans dbeasy) would lead you to believe, out in the real world.

So in other words you found some author with an agenda who scrolled the internet to find nonsense to support that argument, with the most "famous" person tweeting in support of Will Smith being Tiffany Haddish.

Just now, Sbbruin said:

For those who don't Insta

Verified
Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive. My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally.

I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.  

I would also like to apologize to the Academy, the producers of the show, all the attendees and everyone watching around the world. I would like to apologize to the Williams Family and my King Richard Family. I deeply regret that my behavior has stained what has been an otherwise gorgeous journey for all of us.

I am a work in progress.

Sincerely,

Will
26m
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

"Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally."

Translation: it was totally justified but I need to mea culpa to salvage my career.  Got it.

yep.  the big whatever dude...

10 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

It was a slap not a punch and not one of those slaps you see in the Russian slap contests….  I’ve seen plenty people get punch in the face and not move their mouth or jaw around, cause they don’t want to act like a little bitch.  

Will didn’t get his hips into it

image.gif.8af87e7e70a84fda897197c3ad4ac186.gif

i'm not watching fox news to verify but i'm sure it will be shared in the CR if their prime time hosts go this route. which would surprise exactly nobody. 
also, regarding Haddish's take... i'm not black but i am female. there was a clip posted in another thread of a man threatening a much smaller woman on a crowded subway, yelling at her, inches from her face, verbally and physically threatening her, her man stood right next to her and did not even respond after the other man literally punched her in the face! (which she took even better than Rock, btw)
that man on the subway should have physically stepped in and i would have lost all respect for him as a mate when he didn't. even though he probably would have gotten his ass kicked. 
last night isn't even in the ballpark.. hell it ain't even the same game! in Jada's position i feel like i would have been absolutely furious at what he did, mortified to the point i'm not sure i would have remained sitting with him. i mean i get mad when my husband goes all road-ragey lol.
i respect her perspective but i would strongly disagree. 

It’s really easy to volunteer someone else for a fight.

It is harder to know what is going on it that persons life who stood by. None of that tough guy shit matters to a kid who is fatherless or to your widow.

I think GOLL touched on this seeming being set off by Jada. Women volunteering men to fight for them is abusive. Smith is a bitch of a man. Jada is a cunt. The fact that she didn’t have the dignity to leave or advise Smith to leave might indicate her callousness to Smith and tacit approval of the incident.

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I go on about this at too much length because the event is very troubling to me. Just how far are people willing to push simple civility and tolerance out of our lives? The audience at the show were still applauding and laughing after Smith returned to his seat and shouted the first time. It just seems like a perfect little scene depicting the threads of civility wearing out. Not important on it's own but indicative of something I'm concerned about.

This is where I'm at on this.  I can be obnoxious and a cretin as much as the next guy (I"m on here) but it just feels like the line of civility and rational reactions are getting pushed farther and farther down the path.  This stage jumping bullshit started with Kanye at the Grammys, became digested into the entertainment world as 'haha, what a weirdo', and spits out Smith jumping up at the Oscars and hitting someone.  What the fuck is next.

Not sure what the answer is to this dismal tide.

• Like 2

Just now, Mach 1 said:

This is where I'm at on this.  I can be obnoxious and a cretin as much as the next guy (I"m on here) but it just feels like the line of civility and rational reactions are getting pushed farther and farther down the path.  This stage jumping bullshit started with Kanye at the Grammys, became digested into the entertainment world as 'haha, what a weirdo', and spits out Smith jumping up at the Oscars and hitting someone.  What the fuck is next.

Not sure what the answer is to this dismal tide.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Well, Jada got some August Alsina dick which is 21 years younger than her so she was fine.  I’m sure she took that trade fairly easily.

Name me one “African American celebrities or entertainer” who appreciated this. (Who talks like that?)

Offset, Cardi B, Tiffany Haddish, 50 Cent, and much much more. I can dig up the list of tweets I guess, this just off the top of my head.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Well, this should shut up the stupid-ass conspiracy theorists on this thread. Academy is condemns Smith's actinos, is investigating and "strongly considered" removing Smith from the telecast after slapping Rock and before winning Best Actor.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/28/entertainment/academy-members-discuss-will-smith-oscars-slap/index.html

I have the documents!

1648507397279-pol.jpg

• Haha 1

Scene: Academy Awards Presentation

[Dolby Theater, Interior-Evening]

[Will Smith, Best Actor Nominee Slaps presenter, Chris Rock]

Javier Bardem, nominee/Being The Ricardos  (seated, thinking) Helloooo, are we revisiting the Ricardos? I need another drink.

Benedict Cumberbatch, nominee/ The Power Of The Dog (seated, thinking) I went two months without a bath, learned a lousy American accent, and lost my Sexiest Man Alive title when I could've just stayed on as wacky Sherlock or making bank as The-Doctor-Will-See-You-Now-Ladies-Strange? I need another drink.

Denzel Washington, nominee/ The Tragedy Of Macbeth (seated, thinking) There is tragedy and there is comedy. I can't tell which is which here. What's done cannot be undone. I need another drink.

Andrew Garfield, nominee/ Tick, Tick...Boom! (seated, thinking) You know, the Tony Awards might be more my speed. I need another drink and then I'mma call my agent.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It’s really easy to volunteer someone else for a fight.

It is harder to know what is going on it that persons life who stood by. None of that tough guy shit matters to a kid who is fatherless or to your widow.

I think GOLL touched on this seeming being set off by Jada. Women volunteering men to fight for them is abusive. Smith is a bitch of a man. Jada is a cunt. The fact that she didn’t have the dignity to leave or advise Smith to leave might indicate her callousness to Smith and tacit approval of the incident.

I know that as a young man, I was certainly volunteered for fights by various girls.  For the most part, I obliged.  But there was definitely once that I thought "are you out of your fucking mind?".  And you're exactly right--it is abusive.

We've been subjected to a lot of talk over the past few years about "toxic masculinity."  But at some point, we need to talk about toxic femininity.  Because sitting there and encouraging violence without bearing any of the consequences of that violence is some serious bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Stern hasn't left his house in like 2 years lmao dude is more out of touch than Will Smith.

howard-sterns-house.jpg

Heck of a house but what percentage you use with two people and some cats?

This is the bang on Will Smith like a kettle drum thread.  Go bitch about Stern on the Stern thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

in response to seth, i don't think everyone in the audience just said ok and went along with it.  i think they were part stunned and part, "hey, this is a bit, right...right??"  in fact, one of the symptoms of it being 'real' was the weird vibe and tone in the room for the minutes following.  it was audible.  it was uncomfortable.

yes, they applauded when he won, out of reflex and muscle memory.  but most of them were probably like we need to get the f out of h and find out what happened.  not sure what would've satisfied macfarlane, but nobody would ever run over to smith post-slap and get in his face, not on tv.  what he did was so shocking because it was on tv in front of millions, i don't blame people for sitting on their hands.

shit, denzel and tyler perry (and their reps) ran over to them during the commercial break, so i wouldn't say everyone just went along with it.  there really wasn't much choice. 

blame smith, blame jada, shit, blame rock if you want to be incorrect on the whole deal, but don't just say this is hollywood being sheep and self-congratulatory and smelling its own farts just to throw yet another opinion into the fray.  it was an awkward, unexpected moment, and that's how everyone acted.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

in response to seth, i don't think everyone in the audience just said ok and went along with it.  i think they were part stunned and part, "hey, this is a bit, right...right??"  in fact, one of the symptoms of it being 'real' was the weird vibe and tone in the room for the minutes following.  it was audible.  it was uncomfortable.

yes, they applauded when he won, out of reflex and muscle memory.  but most of them were probably like we need to get the f out of h and find out what happened.  not sure what would've satisfied macfarlane, but nobody would ever run over to smith post-slap and get in his face, not on tv.  what he did was so shocking because it was on tv in front of millions, i don't blame people for sitting on their hands.

shit, denzel and tyler perry (and their reps) ran over to them during the commercial break, so i wouldn't say everyone just went along with it.  there really wasn't much choice. 

blame smith, blame jada, shit, blame rock if you want to be incorrect on the whole deal, but don't just say this is hollywood being sheep and self-congratulatory and smelling its own farts just to throw yet another opinion into the fray.  it was an awkward, unexpected moment, and that's how everyone acted.

I don't think it's out of line for McFarlane or anyone else to criticize Hollywood behavior in general, or specifically in this case.  Unfair or not, the criticism is 100% legit, afforded by the fact that a clearly unhinged A-list star was allowed to remain seated, accept an award, and give an acceptance speech after striking a fellow performer on stage.  The reaction by the crowd to his acceptance speech was robotic - that's what he's getting at.  What - you can't boo?  Even a little?   It's simply a deeply flawed community cowed by pwoerful people with horrible influences and bottom of the barrel values.  

The perception is you can get away with anything in Hollywood.  And while that's changing in some respects, it's still largely true.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

"Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally."

Translation: it was totally justified but I need to mea culpa to salvage my career.  Got it.

Yeah, here was his initial "emotional reaction" to Rock's joke about his wife.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Chris Rock’s statement regarding last night’s Academy Awards #Oscars

“As a comedian it can be difficult to understand which lines are to be crossed and which ones aren’t. Last night I crossed a line that I shouldn’t have and paid the enormous price of my reputation as a renown comedian. Comedy is never about poking fun at or making lite of people with major ordeals happening in their lives. Comedy is about using real life circumstances to create laughter and bring light to an otherwise dark world. With that said, I sincerely apologize to my friend’s Jada Pinkett-Smith, Will Smith, and the rest of the Smith family for the disrespect and disregard I displayed which was unfortunately broadcast for the world to see. I hope that, with time, forgiveness can come of this situation and we can all be better, more considerate people in the end.” - Chris Rock

Just now, BigDHornfan said:

“As a comedian it can be difficult to understand which lines are to be crossed and which ones aren’t. Last night I crossed a line that I shouldn’t have and paid the enormous price of my reputation as a renown comedian. Comedy is never about poking fun at or making lite of people with major ordeals happening in their lives. Comedy is about using real life circumstances to create laughter and bring light to an otherwise dark world. With that said, I sincerely apologize to my friend’s Jada Pinkett-Smith, Will Smith, and the rest of the Smith family for the disrespect and disregard I displayed which was unfortunately broadcast for the world to see. I hope that, with time, forgiveness can come of this situation and we can all be better, more considerate people in the end.” - Chris Rock

Never apologize chris. You'll never be able to stop

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Was Jada's alopecia a thing of common knowledge as friends reporting Chris didn't know she suffered from it. I never knew about it, but I also don't stalk the Hollywood scene.  It would explain Rocks demeanor when Smith jumped on stage like he just made fun of his wife's haircut.

Haven't read through the entire thread so it's probably been mentioned, but this has absolutely nothing to do with Jada's hair loss.

Jada fucked around on Will with one of her sons friends way back when and left Will.  They got back together but have an "open" relationship.  To add more fuel to the fire, Jada now has a talk show or some shit where she tells the world about her and Will's open relationship and how she cucked him before that with HER SON'S FRIEND.  A guy who was a junkie, suicidal, etc., to make it even worse.  That's gotta fucking sting for a guy like Will Smith.

Oh, and it's a rather open secret in Hollywood that Will Smith bats for the other team like Travolta. 

Hair had nothing to do with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Good God that's weak. 

• Hook 'Em 4