Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

46 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

I have friends and relatives bombarding me with texts telling me how Texas is the bad guy and how we have fucked everyone in the conference over. Can someone provide me a brief and factual retort to this that will shut them up? 

They just want you to agree with them. 

Tell them this and they will probably be thrown off a bit:

1BE54192-4EDA-47AD-B830-91B483BB4744.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Gerry H- "Was told about 30 minutes ago that Houston and Cincinnati are expecting to be invited to the Big 12. That is coming from the Houston basketball side. We shall see."

About as much as they can do but does that stop Kansas/ISU from jumping to the B1G? Hell no (if they're smart). We're basically talking AAC vs B1G at that point.

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Doesn't do much of anything to make the Big 12 viable in the long term so I'm skeptical but we'll see.

Out of curiosity though, what are the rules for adding teams to the Big 12? Do they need TX/OU 'yes' votes to get them in considering we currently have to posture that we'll be in the conference until the GOR expire in 2025? Is playing ball with adding members something can use to leverage our earlier release at a smaller payout?

I would guess the latter.  Hey, your GOR shortened/buy out is lowered if you approve adding these teams

20 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

is this Cincinatti's attention grabber to try to get in to the remainder of the Big12?

Welp, just when we thought the movement ot SEC was gaining traction, the schools sign a 9 year GoR's and add:

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, I lived in Houston for many years.  The idea that aggy outnumber Longhorns there is fiction.

yeah but try finding UT stuff in a store.  wildly outstocked by Aggy stuff and that's not because Aggy stuff doesn't sell.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

52 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

I have friends and relatives bombarding me with texts telling me how Texas is the bad guy and how we have fucked everyone in the conference over. Can someone provide me a brief and factual retort to this that will shut them up? 

top-image3.jpg

"It’s a problem you think we need to explain ourselves. Don’t. To anyone."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Doesn't do much of anything to make the Big 12 viable in the long term so I'm skeptical but we'll see.

Out of curiosity though, what are the rules for adding teams to the Big 12? Do they need TX/OU 'yes' votes to get them in considering we currently have to posture that we'll be in the conference until the GOR expire in 2025? Is playing ball with adding members something can use to leverage our earlier release at a smaller payout?

It would be funny as shit for TX and OU to veto new members and just explode the conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yeah, leaving prior to the GoR being termed is painful.   They keep quoting $80m, but that's just the withdraw penalty.   The rights to all T1/2 broadcasts are held by the Big 12 until 2025, that's the real kicker.  So, imagine $80m, plus no game revenue for 4 years, even if moved sooner.

That being said, I cannot imagine a scenario where you play out 4 years.   Everyone likes to say "fuck off" here, but its in the best interests of everyone to get Tech and OkSt (and likely KU/ISU) a good home.  At that point you could vote to dissolve and eradicate the buyout and the GoR.

Dates of note:

2022 - NFL Deals expire

2023 - SEC T1 moves from CBS to ESPN

2024 - Pac/B1G deals expire

2025 - B12 deals expire

2032 - SEC T2/3 deals expire

2036 - ACC deal expires

Don't forget 2023 is when the college football playoff likely expands to 12 teams.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:31 PM, TKthunder2 said:

So reading some of these boards and insiders, it seems like Texas and Oklahoma will both get the $50 million/year that the SEC was already going to get (WITHOUT cutting into the existing members slice of the pie) and will give everyone in the SEC an ADDITIONAL $10 million/year.  If you do that math that means these two Big 12 schools are worth $260 million/year.

Texas got $15 million form the LHN and Oklahoma was getting $10 million from Fox Sports for third tier rights, remove that from the $260 million and you have an estimated market rate for their 1st/2nd tier rights which is $235 million a year.

The Big 12 1st/2nd tier TV deal was distributing ~$38 million a year each of its schools which is $380 million total.  If you subtract UT/OU’s $235 million the rest of the Big 12’s TV rights would only be worth ~$145 million/year.  $145 divide by the 8 remaining school averages out to just over $18 million per school.  (Ever wonder how all the Big12 schools “found” enough money to completely renovate their old ass stadiums?)

Even considering that the best of the 8 remaining school likely pull in a few million more over lower conference members it’s still likely less than the average $28 million/year the PAC12 is currently receiving.  Thus expansion with any of the leftover Big12 schools will directly cut into the amount of revenue the PAC12 is getting.

The only reason for the PAC12 to expand is for fear of being left out of the CFP deal and while that may be enough for Utah/WSU/Oregon State, it’s not a worry for USC/Oregon who would just leave and join another conference.

So according to this article, the remaining 8 are only worth $9 million a year (ouch) which is half my estimate $18 million I wrote above.  FYI The American (UH, Cincy, UCF) is worth $7 million a year.  This would mean Texas and Oklahoma’s Tier 1&2 TV rights are worth $290 million a year and the remains 8 are worth $72 million.  I was close.  Adding in Tier 3 Texas and Oklahoma’s TV rights are worth $315 million a year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-realignment-fallout-whats-next-with-texas-oklahoma-stating-intent-to-leave-big-12-for-sec/

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I mean if we had a viable conference we would be loyal to it. We were all in on the old Big 12 before Nebraska bailed.

Yeah, blame Nebraska, Mizzou, CU and aggy.  We've kept this scotch taped together for a decade.  Thank us for that 10 years of revenue, ingrate.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think this guy is an ISU fan - what did he expect??? That Texas would have a deep-seated love for the institution of Iowa State University?

Seems like a reasonable response towards the 5th and 6th schools to transfer out of his team's conference.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

She was just hired a few months ago. That wouldn’t be a good look. A&M is mentioned in the same breath as UH or Sam at the community college I teach at and our focus groups show it’s because they know they don’t need very high grades to get accepted to any of those 3 universities.

UH is actually tougher to get into than almost any public school in the SEC.  Georgia and Florida are a little tougher.  A&M same category.  The joke is that you can sneeze on the application and get into Bama--and they are better than the schools to the west of them.

PAC 12 will never do this but if they want eyes…get all 8. 

that adds eyes. Something they desperately fucking need. Yet so snobby about the value of our remaining 8. It only really matters what ESPN/Fox thinks…but they will have more eyes than they do now. Or they could just join the B1G whatever…

• Hook 'Em 2

When looking up UT's record vs. Ole Miss I got curious and checked the all-time record vs. the rest of the conference. We have a winning record against every school except two, anyone know who those two are? Probably not who you think:

Edited by UncleSonny
winning record against everyone except 3*. Losing record against 2.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think this guy is an ISU fan - what did he expect??? That Texas would have a deep-seated love for the institution of Iowa State University?

Eat a dick and you’re welcome for the last 10 years. You can keep the couch and TV.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, theBigHen said:

Well we are not the only bad guy. OU is also bad. We are evil partners in crime.

The other schools are so thoroughly screwed there is really no good way to spin it. I can only hope they all end up in a decent place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

When looking up UT's record vs. Ole Miss I got curious and checked the all-time record vs. the rest of the conference. We have a winning record against every school except two, anyone know who those two are? Probably not who you think:

Reveal hidden contents

God those two losses to MSU sucked.