Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

This sounds like a great deal when compared to, checks notes, Jimbo’s contract. For ~$50m we are out of the B12 and start future revenue offsets sooner. For ~$80-90m the aggies can cancel a contract only to duplicate that cost over its original duration. And this isn’t to shit on aggie although I enjoy doing so.  Our exit fee would be on the high but not outlandish cost of a coaching change in todays market. We probably nearly hit that figure between Strong and Herman. 

I am interested in seeing a detailed breakdown of that price tag.  Isn’t most of it future conference payouts forfeited, and how does that number compare to the payouts you would be walking away from leaving in 25?  Then, start adding back SEC conference payouts (just shy of $50M per school this year, announced this week) and who knows what kind of boost in ticket sales, merch sales, etc.  I’m guessing the business decision wasn’t a very hard one.

6 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

I am interested in seeing a detailed breakdown of that price tag.  Isn’t most of it future conference payouts forfeited, and how does that number compare to the payouts you would be walking away from leaving in 25?  Then, start adding back SEC conference payouts (just shy of $50M per school this year, announced this week) and who knows what kind of boost in ticket sales, merch sales, etc.  I’m guessing the business decision wasn’t a very hard one.

It’s like a divorce.    Pay to get out early

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

The refs may be kinder to us if we beat Bama week 2 and have a legit shot at the playoff. Big 12 would want a cut of that revenue too. 

You talk about a dilemma for the Big 12.. Have to either accept that we win the conference and they get paid or keep us out and cut their payout to make sure we don't win the last real B12 title

1 hour ago, SurlyGator said:

SEC Tshirt sales will easily cover all the costs. 

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Officials  are going to screw us bad this season.   There will be some Okie State 2015/2022  like crap I’m certain in at least one game. Especially if it’s a game where we find ourselves on a roll and real possibility to make the Big 12 title game.   

Imagine a whole season of Grant Teaff Baylor final games.  

• Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, SurlyGator said:

Yes it is basically forfeiting a percent of revenue for this and next summer.   The only check I've heard being sent is $20m to Fox, along with the scheduling change to get both Michigan/Texas games in lue of the 2024 River.

It all makes sense, the buyout was always going to be the buyout, now the remaining 8 are even for the cut they were taking to let in the new four.   Its all basically a wash, aligning everything with the CFB Playoff going to 12.   As someone mentioned earlier, $25m isn't exactly a rounding error, but its basically the profit the AD ran last year.  Not devastating.

This looks like it was purely Fox wanting its eight games in 2024.

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the vote was close enough to speculate about first presidency payouts to 9 key voters that swung the polls

why would the church corporation need to stoop to such lows?

in order to be ordained (pun intended) champion with both the writers and coaches, you had to win all your games, which you did, while also overcoming the following:

- you beat 1 ranked team, preseason #3 pitt

- after you opened at pitt, winning 20-14, pitt lost their first 4 and started 1-7-1 before finishing 3-7-1

- the next week, in the same stadium, 0u destroyed pitt, 42-10

- you beat pitt by 6; 0u beat pitt by 32 - this is important - we'll come back to 0u later

- no one in your conference finished with fewer than 4 losses - there's all kinds of comedy gold in your conference foes' out-of-conference results, but let's keep moving

- you remain the only team in history to 'win' a title and play your last game that season in december

- in that last game, you defeated 6-5 unranked michigan, the worst record ever held by a team that lost to the 'national champion' in the 'national champion's' last game that year

- 7 teams declined Holiday Bowl invitations to play you

- 1 of those teams was 0u

- many thought 1-loss oregon should have been crowned; the 10-1 ducks beat 9-1-1 0u by 2 scores, 28-17

- does the transitive property matter?  barry switzer's shit-eating-grin during the 2008 bcs selection show answers your question

+++

aggy would gladly put that title on the wall at pyle.   so there you have it.

you've bested aggy.

abracadabra.

It's real and it's spectacular.

btw, First Presidency payouts? hahahaha so dumb

trophy 2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Saint Austin said:

He entire account is a bit

Yeah, he's so obvious about it not sure how people don't pick up it sooner.  Though to be fair, it did take me a couple weeks to figure out Nick Adams (who basically does the same thing with less obvious humor) was also doing the same schtick.

Still, we have to acknowledge going in that we are entering a conference made up of schools, states, and people that represent the absolute lowest common denominator of the United States.  These states rank frighteningly low in very important metrics across the board.  Their values aren't values, they're the "flexes" of the stupidest people our country can manage to produce.  The on-the-field/court/diamond experience will be fantastic, but we are otherwise in bed with American Garbage.  If you don't think the company you keep as a university is important, you haven't heard of the Big 10, Ivy League, or at its peak-the Pac12.  It's not a make or break factor, but we are about to be literally, in league, with a shitheap of people I wouldn't let my dog piss on.  But I get it, it was necessary for TV.  Trailer Park satellite ain't gonna pay for itself, I get it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, he's so obvious about it not sure how people don't pick up it sooner.  Though to be fair, it did take me a couple weeks to figure out Nick Adams (who basically does the same thing with less obvious humor) was also doing the same schtick.

Still, we have to acknowledge going in that we are entering a conference made up of schools, states, and people that represent the absolute lowest common denominator of the United States.  These states rank frighteningly low in very important metrics across the board.  Their values aren't values, they're the "flexes" of the stupidest people our country can manage to produce.  The on-the-field/court/diamond experience will be fantastic, but we are otherwise in bed with American Garbage.  If you don't think the company you keep as a university is important, you haven't heard of the Big 10, Ivy League, or at its peak-the Pac12.  It's not a make or break factor, but we are about to be literally, in league, with a shitheap of people I wouldn't let my dog piss on.  But I get it, it was necessary for TV.  Trailer Park satellite ain't gonna pay for itself, I get it.

all true, but we've been tuning up with 0u and aggy for more than 100 years so i think we are ready for the ruff tuff real stuff

• Hook 'Em 1

True, we have been fraternizing with some rather questionable institutions for nearly 30 years.  Just that thing where "They're backwards morons, but they were our backwards morons."  Now we got to step across the hall in the events space at Golden Corral to see what other treasures await in Ballroom C.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3979344

Also, fuck you man. Baylor isn't our standard. Neither is Cougar high. The rig12 can go fuck itself. 

Edited by Zeus

1 minute ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Big 12 hunting prey out West. With the PAC contract expiring, it was critical that the Big 12 rid themselves of Texas/OU after this season. I think we'll see movement before the start of the 2023 season.

Yeah.  The longer this goes on, the more likely it seems that the Big 12 will gut the PAC.  Replacing Texas and Oklahoma with Washington and Oregon isn't close to even, but it's a much better consolation prize than anyone expected in July of 2021.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Yeah.  The longer this goes on, the more likely it seems that the Big 12 will gut the PAC.  Replacing Texas and Oklahoma with Washington and Oregon isn't close to even, but it's a much better consolation prize than anyone expected in July of 2021.  

Washington and Oregon don't want anything to do with the B12, but they may have no choice if the B12 can poach the 4 corner schools. I am sure some provision would be made to say that the second the B1G calls, they are gone. The PAC at it's absolute best would become a G5 conference, but most likely disband entirely. 

Edited by Vertigo

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Washington and Oregon don't want anything to do with the B12, but they may have no choice if the B12 can poach the 4 corner schools. I am sure some provision would be made to say that the second the B1G calls, they are gone. The PAC at it's absolute best would become a G5 conference, but most likely disband entirely. 

If the Four Corners leave and the Big Ten won't invite them immediately, then Washington and Oregon would have very little leverage to make demands.  They'd either have to make a back-filled PAC work or they'd have to sign whatever the Big 12 and its media partners told them to sign.  

image.thumb.png.1025ffc2afa9bc8d440ac77d1ba3f98c.png

This graphic is from Navigate and reflects their projections done last year for conference revenue. If the ballpark is correct, the delta between playing for a power 2 conference and another of the old power 5 is $40M- $50M per annum by 2028. As the revenue bell cows of the other 3 flee to the power 2, this effect could be exacerbated beyond what is already projected. Paying $50M once to get in on $50M annually is such a no-brainer that I have to wonder about people who ask where we'll get the money or whether it will be worth it. What do you call the Big 12 5 years after Texas and OU leave? The C-USA AAC Big Nothing (CUSAAACB0). They will still get an autobid for March Madness, nor will they need it-- they will play some great basketball. They will send in 10-12 seeds to the 12-team CFP with regularity. Tech can't sell out its own stadium against teams not named Texas or OU, let alone draw a national audience to support a rich TV contract. And they are one of the relative big boys in the CUSAAACB0. The Pac 12 refugees could add some credibility to the league, but the truth is that the LA schools gave their old league the lion's share of what value it had. The four corners schools will be leaving a sinking ship to get on a floating barge. Good riddance to the league, and good luck to the orphans of fate (e.g. ISU).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/9/2023 at 9:12 PM, 936horn said:

Miss the Big 12? Lmao fuck the Big 12, it’s shitty refs, and all the second rate schools and programs that thought they were even in the same hemisphere as us the last 30-odd years. 

I miss the Big 12 1.0, when CU and NU were good, BU was Kansas bad, KSU had Bill Snyder 1.0 and we had an offensive line, Ricky, Major, VY and Colt.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 11:23 PM, ButtFumble said:

I think it has to do with the fact that the new TV contract has not fully kicked in yet or the dumb fucks in the SEC SEC SEC like aggy have already spent their full share for next year and will have to borrow more from academics if they do not get the full share

Its either not true or it has something to do with Fox.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

And it’s not like Texas could’ve walked away without paying anything even in 2025, right?

I haven’t followed the numbers super closely because no one was going to ask for my advice, but it’s my understanding that this amount is lower than the contractual amount owed in 2025. Obviously, that was subject to negotiation, as well, but still.

If I have the numbers wrong, I’m hopeful someone can post or link to them. 

Sounds like the $20 million to Fox ($10 apiece) is all we are paying to get out early.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Sounds like projection to me.  That's a mirror you are looking into, not a window.

• Hook 'Em 2