[News/Updates] Mass Shooting at Robb Elementary Uvalde - 5/24/2022

Ghost of LL

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep. Here the google map view of this school. Each of these buildings must have at least 2 entry/exit points not counting windows that could be turned into an entry point. It must be a challenge to simultaneously protect students from a potential intruder but also protect them from the more realistic situation of needing to escape a fire (and escape from a shooter.) 

I doubt there is a perfect answer when you're constrained by budgets.

Elem - Copy.JPG

Oh, there's a perfect answer, and it has nothing to do with budgets unless you're talking about campaign budgets. But yeah, it isn't about re-designing schools. 

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep. Here the google map view of this school. Each of these buildings must have at least 2 entry/exit points not counting windows that could be turned into an entry point. It must be a challenge to simultaneously protect students from a potential intruder but also protect them from the more realistic situation of needing to escape a fire (and escape from a shooter.) 

I doubt there is a perfect answer when you're constrained by budgets.

Elem - Copy.JPG

Oh, there's a perfect answer, and it has nothing to do with budgets unless you're talking about campaign budgets. But yeah, it isn't about re-designing schools. 

30 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

My daughters elem was like that. But they had a big fence that only allowed access through the office.

Probably wouldn’t have been too hard to show up with a ladder for the fence.

I've been assured that a big fence would keep all immigrants out of America and that ladders don't work on fences.

Boom. Problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

i genuinely wish i had some magical power to make it such that every single person in this country was required to do nothing but look at those pictures for the next week.  over and over and over.  maybe the scum that populate k street and the corridors of every state and federal legislative and judicial building would discover some humanity.  i wish those pictures were everywhere.

despair is too easy a word.  i can't contemplate a society that could possibly tolerate this.  and yet, here i am.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

that picture of jailah silguero haunts me.  all of them do but i cannot help but lose complete control looking at that picture.

there can genuinely be no justice in the world in which these children had to endure that terror...that the last day of their lives are over and the beauty throughout them all and every one of those pictures has been extinguished.  that suffering and fear that they undoubtedly felt.

• Hook 'Em 1

Beautiful kids, all those pictures capture the joy and happiness of that age. the smiles and pride of their uniforms !!!!  The happiness of making the honor roll !!!  The funny tshirts. 

hopefully they can Rest In Peace after being taken way too early. May their families and the town find peace this summer. A summer all those kids were looking towards, but will never experience 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperSport said:

Watching the presser live, NBC News did.

CNN hasn’t. But they also haven’t cut from the press conference yet either. And apparently it was the mayor of uvalde that cussed him out and demanded he leave. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

7 hours ago, Balcones said:

Uvalde is a town of 16,000 people.

The school district has its own police department.

https://www.ucisd.net/Page/2120

The primary goal for the Uvalde CISD Police Department is to maintain a safe and secure environment for our future leaders to learn and our current leaders to educate while forming partnerships with students, teachers, parents, and the community while enforcing laws and reducing fears. We are committed to supporting the district's mission, to the highest level of professionalism, integrity and improve the quality of work by providing employees with effective leadership, supervision, and training.

Color me shocked

This is the news thread right?  Right?

I still haven't seen anything released on motive, has that been hinted at anywhere yet other than the history of him shooting his grandmother for an unknown reason?  I did see on reddit (a neighbor maybe) considered the kid a loner.

6 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Dear people who do an essential and thankless job that I'm too lazy and unqualified to do,

Enjoy this shit pay so we all have the peace of mind knowing you're doing this for the "right reasons." Hope you don't get killed by a lunatic acting as a human shield protecting my kid. Enjoy being poor.

Sincerely, 

Braff Zacklin

If you're going to willfully misinterpret what is stated, then at least have the courtesy to sign your own name.

I had wonderful teachers. Still remember most by name, even though I'm approaching 50. They were unquestionably underpaid, but I don't believe they were undervalued ... at least, not by my peers and their parents.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

If you're going to willfully misinterpret what is stated, then at least have the courtesy to sign your own name.

I had wonderful teachers. Still remember most by name, even though I'm approaching 50. They were unquestionably underpaid, but I don't believe they were undervalued ... at least, not by my peers and their parents.

Oh, you see, that was parody. I was pretending to be you and making fun of the stupid thing you said - "No question that educators are underpaid.... in a way, it's a good thing because it ensures that those who teach do so for the right reasons." That's what you said. That incredibly fucking shitty thing about it being a good thing teachers are underpaid. Then you double down in the above post by talking about how valued teachers are. Try paying for groceries with "value". 

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Oh, you see, that was parody. I was pretending to be you and making fun of the stupid thing you said - "No question that educators are underpaid.... in a way, it's a good thing because it ensures that those who teach do so for the right reasons." That's what you said. That incredibly fucking shitty thing about it being a good thing teachers are underpaid. Then you double down in the above post by talking about how valued teachers are. Try paying for groceries with "value". 

To me, it's stupid that you keep twisting it that way, but this is an emotionally charged topic and you're apparently looking for a pound of flesh, so I guess I understand.

Can we agree that most of those who become educators don't do so for financial enrichment? Something else draws them to the occupation.

Most teachers I know as an adult (and knew as a youth) are selfless, patient types who make tremendous personal sacrifices for the greater good. They're some of the most idealistic, altruistic people I know.

Would you agree with those sentiments? If so, do you still feel that sort of person would be the norm for the profession if the base pay were, say, $100K/year?

In other words, teachers' pay may be shitty, but their motivations are not. That's a good thing, in my view. It's unfortunate you feel otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Would you agree with those sentiments? If so, do you still feel that sort of person would be the norm for the profession if the base pay were, say, $100K/year?

You serious Clark? If teacher base pay were $100k, it would IMPROVE the quality of teaching/teachers. I'm sure there are scores of people who would make excellent teachers that can't do it for financial reasons. You'd increase the pool of candidates and schools could be more selective of who they hire/fire based on that instead of now where they are forced to take anyone that received their teaching certificate and can fog a mirror. 

Edited by Hmbre97

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I understand you think you were praising teachers. And yes, it is a good thing that teachers are motivated despite their low pay. we collectively "value" their dedication to a job that pays little with almost zero opportunity for meaningful salary increase over the course of a career. You see that as some sort of altruistic sacrifice they are making for the greater good.

I am praising teachers, even if you feel I'm not simply because I don't fly into a condescending rage when someone mentions how underpaid they are.

Nowhere have I said I don't feel they deserve more pay, or that I'd be opposed to across-the-board pay raises for educators. I'm behind all of that ... but I will disagree with you and @Hmbre97 that the quality of teachers would be improved if base pay were, say, doubled.

Anyway, one thing we can agree on is that we've derailed this enough, so my apologies for contributing. You or anyone else is welcome to message me privately or neg me publicly if you feel further scolding is warranted.

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

This is the news thread right?  Right?

I still haven't seen anything released on motive, has that been hinted at anywhere yet other than the history of him shooting his grandmother for an unknown reason?  I did see on reddit (a neighbor maybe) considered the kid a loner.

Apparently economically challenged and possibly a cross dresser?  Not sure how that works in south Texas but seems like it wouldn't be fun.  Also, Chicago:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/uvalde-shooting-texas-abbott-says-chicago-nyc-crime-gun-laws-not-solution?fbclid=IwAR0Mex9epdArkWYOoL_CuSBUPKRUuVI6pUMO6ucPu4M-oj2nB_sI4xJlmH8

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Apparently economically challenged and possibly a cross dresser?  Not sure how that works in south Texas but seems like it wouldn't be fun.  Also, Chicago:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/uvalde-shooting-texas-abbott-says-chicago-nyc-crime-gun-laws-not-solution?fbclid=IwAR0Mex9epdArkWYOoL_CuSBUPKRUuVI6pUMO6ucPu4M-oj2nB_sI4xJlmH8

I believe the cross dresser rumor is false.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

If it's false information it should be pointed out in the News/Information thread which is this thread.

The person in those photos already came forward and said he is in fact, not the dead shooter. 

here is the link

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 2