Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

I started going through a ranking system and it was pretty fucking hard to do.

Cruz #1 and then a big tie for #2

I sorta think of them as the Voltron of assholes. Individually, they are plenty powerful assholes. but together, they form a mighty, hemmhoroid-plagued super-asshole the likes this world has never seen. it's becoming unstoppable 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

I’m glad Beto did that even if it was political. Abbot, Patrick and all those other fat idiots sitting there with him just looked stupid. This is same o, same o. They’ll set there and mark time off and do nothing as they continue to do. This is on them and they should be called out. They should get on a plane and fly to Cancun with Cruz because they are useless. 

You are too jaded.  Beto did it because he fucking cares.  He wants the attention as a call to action.   Meanwhile the GQP just held a press conference with all of their cronies parroting the same message and committing to doing nothing.   If we want the will of the people, than we have to vote for the people that respect the will of the people and there is only one party that gives a shit about that.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

A citizen of legal age purchased a gun legally.

Not 'a gun' - two semi-automatic rifles with laser sight and three days apart.

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

But how can anyone predict human behavior? That's impossible.

Except it's not impossible, right?  I mean, there are many people across the country whose entire careers are based on trying to predict human behavior.  It's not 100%, it's not definite, but a lot of strong and reliable predictions can be made and a lot of crimes get prevented due to that every day.  

What is driving you to minimize this?

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

all of the stupid people i know are talking about metal detectors and security guards today - is that a talking point from tucker or some shit?

It's an astonishing perspective.  Two UPD cops couldn't stop this guy from getting in the school, barricading himself, and killing 21 people, but a metal detector is somehow the answer?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's an astonishing perspective.  Two UPD cops couldn't stop this guy from getting in the school, barricading himself, and killing 21 people, but a metal detector is somehow the answer?

kinda debunks that whole "good guy with a gun" bullshit, huh? GGWAG would have also been dead.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I am a gun nut myself, but we can't have pimple faced Call of Duty loving 18 year old losers buying AR15's. Hell, they can't buy pistols until 21. Bump the damn age up to 25 as a start. I'm also ok with requiring background checks on private sales. I would require one if I ever decided to sell a gun, which I don't do.

One has to be 25 in order to rent a car. That should be the floor for purchasing military style weapons.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, used2b said:

The Chicago card is racist dog whistling.

In addition to being completely irrational as well.  A bunch of black people kill each other in Chicago too every year so we shouldn't try to do anything at all to address gun violence in the rest of the country.  WUT?

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

In addition to being completely irrational as well.  A bunch of black people kill each other in Chicago too every year so we shouldn't try to do anything at all to address gun violence in the rest of the country.  WUT?

"they" don't mind "those" dead people.  

The Chicago card is racist dog whistling.

Chicago is 28th on the list for deaths per capita in the US. Chattanooga, TN is 29. Chicago is a big city with big city problems and it’s bullshit when it’s brought up. I believe Cleveland is #1 and Cinci is #2.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

There it is. "We'll keep making more and worse school shootings inevitable until you people decide to eliminate public schools."

What about grocery store shootings, do they make the case for online shopping?  How about church shootings, do they make the case for worshiping online?  The fuckstain at the Federalist who wrote that needs to EABOD and DIAF.

Edited by The Royal We
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 4

49 minutes ago, Red Five said:

A high school student purchased semi-automatic rifles and a shitload of ammo. "No way we could have seen this coming."

It would be interesting to see the trend in popularity of the AR-15 and other semi-automatic rifles having a high capacity.  Never been a big gun person but growing up in Texas have of course known many gun owners.  When I was a kid friends families would have rifles/shotguns for hunting and/or handguns for home defense.  Now practically every person I know who owns a gun owns at least one AR-15 or something like it.  

Edited by Starfleet Command

2 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

What about grocery store shootings, do they make the case for online shopping?  How about church shootings, do they make the case for worshiping online?  The fuckstain at the Federalist who wrote that needs to EABOD and DIAF.

The fascists would love for us to decide to "harden" every public space. We'd be preparing the country for their control. There's a reason the nazi fuck has been championing exactly this in one of the DT threads.

• Rage+1 2

"Senator Ted Cruz says in a Tweet that he and his wife are 'fervently lifting up in prayer the children and families in the horrific shooting in Uvalde'"

Probably the same thing he said in all the other mass shootings that have happened the last 10 years. Same statement different city. Yeah, you do that Ted. What else you got? Because you're not doing a damn thing to stop it.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

The fascists would love for us to decide to "harden" every public space. We'd be preparing the country for their control. There's a reason the nazi fuck has been championing exactly this in one of the DT threads.

Which nazi fuck? We have a lot here

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Beto's outburst was nothing more than political grandstanding at probably the wrong place and the wrong time.

That said.... I think we are past anything being the wrong place or wrong time for gun control. Hot wheels up there pretending he gives a shit is an insult to anyone and everyone. Whatever needs to happen for serious gun control dialog and action to happen, Abbott has done the exact opposite. He can't have it both ways. Not here, not now.

Not really.  He's saying what needs to be said to who needs to hear it.  Not Abbott, but everyone else who is tired of this.  

If you're going to be elected and serve you have to symbolize something.  Anything less that what he's said won't get him elected or get it done.

Beto hit it out of the park.  

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, B00M said:

I mean the solution is always more violence, right? 

So looking at constraints:

If we can't raise the age of semi-auto possession from 18 to 21 for males (9th circuit noped)

If we can't take all the guns (Half a billion or more guns and at least 100M owners. Even if all the laws were passed, and we some how strip people of the knowledge or means to build 100 year old technology, collection would take decades and the violence would escalate)

If we can't address mental health issues (stigma, lack of funding, parental refusal to acknowledge, etc)

If we can't pass a law banning the publishing of the shooter's name (1st amendment I'm sure)

The only remotely feasible option I'm seeing is federal funding to harden schools. I know we've reached this conclusion before and people hate it too. But what alternative is there? 

I do think @burntorangebongoshad an interesting thought... Hold the families responsible for failing to address mental health issues. The details of that are messy but at least it might be constitutional..?

Treat gun sellers like bartenders and make them liable.

Treat guns like cars. Must pass a test to operate one, must register and pay insurance every year per firearm.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

There it is. "We'll keep making more and worse school shootings inevitable until you people decide to eliminate public schools."

Bingo -- if you think that utter destruction of every institution, like making elementary schools kill zones, is not PART of the GQP policy plan, you haven't been paying attention.  They want to abolish public schools.  Ensuring that they function as free-fire kill zones serves that goal.

Republicans don't take a single step to reduce the number of school shootings because.....and follow me here, it's SUPER complicated.....they don't WANT to reduce the number of school shootings.  Every dead child serves their purpose.  Don't believe me?  Just ask them -- and read the linked piece.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

It all boils down to guns vs. lives. Choose.

Ummm.....we have chosen.  What you are seeing are the shattered, 9 year old, bullet-ridden, blood-soaked results of that choice.  Uvalde is not a policy failure.  It is a policy SUCCESS.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

"Senator Ted Cruz says in a Tweet that he and his wife are 'fervently lifting up in prayer the children and families in the horrific shooting in Uvalde'"

Fervently lifting up in prayer.

God:

e60d2fb4-ebcb-45ee-8d3e-82a4f5262e19_tex

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

His little girl was murdered by a boy with a gun yesterday.

7192c72286ce88e6511ede62f4905685.jpg
dc7f1335092761883d54ad1c3e2efee8.jpg

It's a machismo thing.  You will find thousands of this same guy all over the valley.  imo, I bet this guy was a good father and is probably a nice enough person to know, but has never put much of any thought into politics and is more or less a product of his environment.  It's an identity.  

Edited by Starfleet Command
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

His little girl was murdered by a boy with a gun yesterday.

7192c72286ce88e6511ede62f4905685.jpg
dc7f1335092761883d54ad1c3e2efee8.jpg

That's incredibly sad, as are all these families stories. The only thing I feel for this guy now is total anguish with what he has to live with.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread