Kids thrust upon us because parent’s connections

Brendan Gleeson. Excellent. Domhnall Gleeson. Sucks. 

Will Smith.  Decent.  Jayden Smith.  Sucks. 

Denzel. Excellent.  John David Washington.  Below average.  

Stellan Skarsgaard. Excellent.  Alexander Skarsgaard.  Very good.  

Closest I’ve come to an improvement so far is: Jerry Stiller. Excellent. Ben Stiller.  Excellent.  

Edited by BehoId, The Underminer!
  • Hook 'Em 3

Ethan Hawke AND Uma Thurman - Maya Thurman Hawke

Goldie Hawn - Kate Hudson and Wyatt Russell (Kurt Russell) and Oliver Hudson

Dennis Quad and Meg Ryan - Jack Quaid

Leslie Mann and Judd APatow - Maude Apatow

Eric Roberts - Emma Roberts

Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick - Sosie Bacon

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ethan Hawke AND Uma Thurman - Maya Thurman Hawke

Goldie Hawn - Kate Hudson and Wyatt Russell (Kurt Russell) and Oliver Hudson

Dennis Quad and Meg Ryan - Jack Quaid

Leslie Mann and Judd APatow - Maude Apatow

Eric Roberts - Emma Roberts

Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick - Sosie Bacon

I was about to post this one.  She's been great in Stranger Things.  

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Tom Hanks excellent, Colin Hanks has potential

Rosemary Clooney excellent George Clooney excellent 

59 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Rosemary Clooney is a good one where they are both excellent. 

I would note, Rosemary is George's aunt, not mother.

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Meh, it really comes down to being rich and connected. The ability to get into the arts with no worry about failure/money counts for a lot.

https://collider.com/galleries/celebrities-rich-before-they-were-famous/

Humans are inherently social and tribal animals.  We tend to work and socialize with people we already know and are connected too.  Hollywood is a smaller community than you think.  People tend to "know a guy" and that self perpetuates. DC is no different, except everyone is ugly.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

i do not understand the appeal of ben stiller. his funniest roles were heavyweights and Dodgeball, but everything else he's done pretty mediocre-terrible, especially with him as the lead. the guy just isn't funny when he's not playing a one-note, angry, spastic character. zoolander is just not a funny movie. along came polly has maybe two funny lines the entire movie, both given by PSH. meet the parents/fockers are both essentially devoid of laughs, save the volleyball scene. he's just one of those guys who everyone else agrees is pretty great, but i just don't get it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i do not understand the appeal of ben stiller. his funniest roles were heavyweights and Dodgeball, but everything else he's done pretty mediocre-terrible, especially with him as the lead. the guy just isn't funny when he's not playing a one-note, angry, spastic character. zoolander is just not a funny movie. along came polly has maybe two funny lines the entire movie, both given by PSH. meet the parents/fockers are both essentially devoid of laughs, save the volleyball scene. he's just one of those guys who everyone else agrees is pretty great, but i just don't get it.

Royal Tenenbaums, Tropic Thunder, Night at the Museum. Starsky and Hutch is alright. 

His cameo in Anchorman is funny. 

I get not liking Stiller, but you're missing some entries. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Royal Tenenbaums, Tropic Thunder, Night at the Museum. Starsky and Hutch is alright. 

His cameo in Anchorman is funny. 

I get not liking Stiller, but you're missing some entries. 

Can't believe both of you missed Something About Mary.

I like Stiller, but agree he's overrated.  He has very little range, but he's one of the best at the awkward, uncomfortable, crawling-out-of-your-skin moments.

Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was alright. He does play awkward dudes with a sympathetic air quite well and that is a good thing. Not every guy out there is Joe Cool.

Emma Stone did not have a Hollywood background and she is a hard working talented artist. Love all of her SNL skits, too.

50 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Ben Stiller is just a big talent in general as a writer, director, producer, and actor.  He's very clearly an A lister in multiple aspects of Hollywood and he's not hanging on his dad's last name to do it.  I don't think you have to caveat his talent.

Yeah, he directed Reality Bites, Zoolander, Tropic Thunder and Severance.  

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

What?

Meet the Parents

Heartbreak Kid

Dodgeball

Zoolander

Along Came Polly

Tropic Thunder

Night at the Museum

All solid and very funny movies (and there are more than just this list).  Maybe you just don't like funny movies?

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I just recenlty stumbled on the fact the Jason Schwartzmann is Talia Shire's(Coppola) son.

He fits the thread

No doubt and I had that one typed out but hard to just put those two in without mentioning Francis Ford, Sophia, Nic Cage...

6 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Brendan Gleeson. Excellent. Domhnall Gleeson. Sucks. 

Will Smith.  Decent.  Jayden Smith.  Sucks. 

Denzel. Excellent.  John David Washington.  Below average.  

Stellan Skarsgaard. Excellent.  Alexander Skarsgaard.  Very good.  

Closest I’ve come to an improvement so far is: Jerry Stiller. Excellent. Ben Stiller.  Excellent.  

Left off the other skarsgard spawn.

Tbd. 

3 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Humans are inherently social and tribal animals.  We tend to work and socialize with people we already know and are connected too.  Hollywood is a smaller community than you think.  People tend to "know a guy" and that self perpetuates. DC is no different, except everyone is ugly.

Well in Hollywood, choosing among unknown actors for secondary roles probably becomes pretty damned arbitrary, so add in the hook of familial fame and power and that can be strong stuff. 

And then add on currying favor with mom or dad and maybe being able to suck them into a project and turn it into a blockbuster on star power alone and you have some kind of sinister things going on. 

DC is not much different I'm sure, but it's not just social affinity. 

Drew Barrymore of the Barrymore clan has done alright.

James Caan is a hard act to follow, so Scott Caan may have a ways to go.

Matthew Broderick I'd say is better than his father, James, but I haven't seen much of anything his father has done except Dog Day Afternoon and Alice's Restaurant because they're classics.

Obviously everyone has forgotten Ivanka trump and Donald Trump Jr. 

And Ben Stiller is not ha ha funny, but produces, directs, writes, and acts well in tons of great funny movies. Once you remind yourself that Zoolander is just a dumb movie, it’s funny. 

44 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

What?

Meet the Parents

Heartbreak Kid

Dodgeball

Zoolander

Along Came Polly

Tropic Thunder

Night at the Museum

All solid and very funny movies (and there are more than just this list).  Maybe you just don't like funny movies?

Don’t forget The Royal Tenenbaums. 

• Hook 'Em 1