2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

On 8/19/2022 at 10:41 AM, 40acredropout said:

Dear god.

He skipped his senior year of high school and enrolled two weeks before camp at Ohio State.  The guy he was "unable to beat" was a Heisman finalist.  Are you surprised?  Vince Young, Trevor Lawerence, Jesus Christ himself would not have been "able" to win that starting job.  

And here we are today.  He is effectively an early enrollee, true freshman QB who didn't play his senior year of high school.  I don't know if you know this but that profile very fucking rarely comes in and starts day 1.  And when they do, they almost always fucking suck.

It should not surprise anyone that he hasn't yet been heads and shoulders above another highly ranked QB who has 1) two years on campus, 2) an extra year in the current offensive system with actual meaningful playing time (shit on performance all you want).

Quinn not being day 1 starter is not part of some meaningful "pattern."  The only pattern is stupid lazy takes in this fucking thread.

I think I tried to say this months ago.

13 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Is there anyone who gets paid to cover UT sports that actually likes UT sports?  It shouldn’t be a job requirement, but one would think that the job would attract people who enjoy being around the UT sports scene.

Not exactly paid to cover UT sports but Bob Ballou (CBS Austin) loves UT sports. He’d also fit right in on this board.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I'm not saying he's going to do anything. UT boards think he sucks as a prospect. They also thin he's slow. Neither is true, regardless of what he does or doesn't do on the field. There's some really bad evaluations these days. Fans bite way too hard for what the online journalists have to say and don't do their own homework. Many of our commits at this position over the years are much worse than him, yet, we blame the coaches for development when they don't hit. It's not development, it's recruiting and evaluation.

I've been saying this for 10 years... 

People think the coaches came here and forgot how to coach... You don't coach your way to 5 wins and losses to supposedly inferior teams.  

As we saw last season, no QB, no wins.

David Ash and Sam Ehlinger were the best QBs we've had, followed by Thompson, Buechele, and Heard.   Think about that.

We've had about 5 real good OL in 10 years.  Another 5 were slightly above average in one way or another.

I can't name a TE other than Swaim (there had to be one, tho, right?)

Someone else can do the defense.

It looks like we will improve on talent infusion alone...

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

FaYrcUjXoAMbQgk?format=jpg&name=medium

Had to go and find it.. you're not wrong.

10 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Not the D1 physique you'd expect, eh?

#DoughOnePhysique

9 hours ago, runthebone said:

Texas logo symmetry pays off in this pic.  Suck it, Nike!

Did tag pic, but maybe we’re considering becoming a Polo school.

(hat… and fuck Quidditch)

8 hours ago, Tex Long said:

He looked too Washingtonian. Made those phenomenal catches, dropped the routine ones too often. The bottom line in the definition of Receiver is: Catch. The. Fucking. Ball.

Nothing else matters if you don't catch the fucking ball.

“WR Blocking Matters!”

-J. Bo Fisher, probably 

10 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

If those ints are on down field bombs then they are like punts….

Too much is made of ints. A 3 & out is a turnover too. Any drive that doesn’t score is a turnover.

My sarcasm senses are tingling...

Not serious, right?

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

People think the coaches came here and forgot how to coach... You don't coach your way to 5 wins and losses to supposedly inferior teams.  

David Ash and Sam Ehlinger were the best QBs we've had, followed by Thompson, Buechele, and Heard.   Think about that.

We've had about 5 real good OL in 10 years.  Another 5 were slightly above average in one way or another.

Swoops, Chris Warren 

🙎‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

some dude on the reddit. makes sense.

Okay here are my thoughts/timeline on what happened behind the scenes which led to Quinn Ewers being announced as QB1 on Friday. I have no proof but it’s fun to speculate.

Thursday Evening:

Sark when asked if he could name the starting QB: he told the media that he thinks he knows who the starter is but wants to let them compete a little longer. At this point he knows that he plans to announce Ewers as the QB1.

OB after hearing this and other things from their sources decided that it was enough to report that it must be Hudson Card. Their sources probably heard that Card seemed to be the better player through the camp and was potentially the better QB at the moment. OB took it and ran with it, and incorrectly reported that Card would be announced as the starter.

Friday Morning:

All the major media start hearing the same thing that OB heard the night before. Desperate to compete with OB and get their own stories out, they also reported that Card would be the starter.

Longhorn Twitter goes crazy

Sark here’s about this during the morning practice. He’s frustrated because at this point he knows it to be false. He knows that the QB1 is going to be Ewers because he has know for awhile. He was going to wait to announce QB1 until after the Saturday Scrimmage but he knows that the media/Twitter/reports will make its way to the team somehow. He wants to avoid this. It could lead to controversy and he wants to protect Card as much as possible. He decides to quickly make a change of plans and announce Ewers as that starter at the end of practice to the team and tell Bianco to report it to the media so there are no leaks. Hence the reason for the announcements seeming so strange. It’s because it wasn’t planned to go down that way.

Friday Afternoon

OB is claiming that their story had a direct impact on the announcement of QB1. Which isn’t entirely wrong.... since they incorrectly reported a rumor, Sark was forced to report QB1 earlier than intended to hopefully create a safer place for the team and Card.

Overall

I don’t think Sark would purposely leak this to OB because that would be a really cruel thing to do to Hudson Card and his family. To claim he’s the starter and potentially get his hopes falsely up just to burn out a rat?? I don’t think so.... and if he did do that, that’s kind of messed up. And I don’t think the boosters made Sark choose Ewers over Card. They don’t have THAT much power.... and it’s obviously always been Ewer’s job to lose.

Again I have no proof of this but it seems like a much more plausible scenario rather than what we’ve been seeing on Twitter.

Really curious to hear yalls thoughts though! Do you think this is possible? Any other theories?

Thank you and Hook ‘em!

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, Gidnik said:

None of this stuff makes much sense. If Sark on day 1 of spring ball and again on day 1 of summer and day 1 of fall camp didn't reiterate to the team that no one outside the coaching staff (and in many instances like starting QB outside of Sark himself) knows fuck all about anything regarding the team and depth chart then what the fuck is Sark doing? It should be made so clear to them to not listen to any media reporting about anything. If anything Sark should have 2 or 3 designated staffers below the coaching staff who's responsibility it is to be the "sources" and tell the 9.95s exactly what Sark tells them to say. 

Card and no other player on the team should be influenced at all about what fat fuck Ketch or dumb fuck Nahlin say. That should have been established immediately last year from the beginning. 

6 hours ago, Slacks said:

Whoof this is some revisionist history... David Ash is up there with Sam for you? Based on what? Pass completion? Passer rating? 

Both players had their best years as sophomores.

David Ash went 19TD/8INT with 2 rushing TDs. 

Sam Ehlinger went 25TD/5INT with *checks notes* 16 rushing TDs. 

That was a bad take and you should feel bad. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

Whoof this is some revisionist history... David Ash is up there with Sam for you? Based on what? Pass completion? Passer rating? 

I think he meant to say those are the only two that are even worth mentioning though I’d argue buechele was decent.  Nobody else starts for most D1 programs

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think he meant to say those are the only two that are even worth mentioning though I’d argue buechele was decent.  Nobody else starts for most D1 programs

I don't see why anyone would cite David Ash at all. He had a handful of serviceable games but most notably couldn't shake Derp until the latter graduated. 

38 minutes ago, immamac said:

This makes so little sense it would fit in our now satirical Twitter timeline. Be better. 

Also Surly (collectively) has the most insider access out of all the sites, we have the most relationships directly into the program and we have the most reliable sources. Yet, we aren't in the "business" of breaking stories so we never do.  

70FE1CE2-23C2-4B3D-8593-6AA9204CE85D.gif.0fdae7bc943da0aef6884e9a233d4bbc.gif

44 minutes ago, Nope said:

Kinda weird that the “insiders” all collectively ignored Quinn’s tweet, I guess they had already decided on a narrative at that point

The gamblers tweet?   Idk if that meant anything.  I checked out Cards Twitter. Either I’m doing it wrong or he hasn’t been active for like a year

it’s been obvious that it’s Quinn’s job to lose for a while.   And I look forward to it.  Card may have performed better but just watching them throw it’s very clear who the more talented guy is

• Hook 'Em 2

Why does the Texas AD and Bianco allow FCB and that fat fuck Ketch and Anwar at media sessions.  Those guys need to be banned yesterday.  Let them report whatever the fuck they want but being banned from media sessions would 100% publicly show their subscribers they are full of shit.

Card was never going to be the starter.  Whether you like it or not, the players read these reports and I can definitely see Sark being frustrated.  The way he announced QB1 without telling the team first tells me it was a big fuck you to the 9.95ers.  Sark has a responsibility to coach and develop Card and I’m sure he probably felt it was unfair to Card and the team.

In short, fuck ketch, Anwar, Chip, and even Mike Roach.  Nahlin can fuck right off too.  Those guys don’t know jack shit.  The only people you should feel confident in are Gerry and Bobby.  Although, I will say that TFB tend to be the first to break a lot of news and tend to be right as well.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I’m pretty sick of the Card, Ewers controversy. I think it was pretty obvious last year that Sark was looking for a new QB. So when Ewers was brought in, it was pretty much a forgone conclusion. 

to be honest, I’m much more interested in learning what is going on with the Oline than listening to the $9.95ers bloviate about how they got things so wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I’m pretty sick of the Card, Ewers controversy. I think it was pretty obvious last year that Sark was looking for a new QB. So when Ewers was brought in, it was pretty much a forgone conclusion. 

to be honest, I’m much more interested in learning what is going on with the Oline than listening to the $9.95ers bloviate about how they got things so wrong. 

Not to mention that in 2028 Ketch will be posting whining rants about 2011 and getting it wrong with Card/Ewers

18 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't think there's any way he's a superstar on his own but having a connection with your QB can elevate guys' production on the field. I know he was a much higher rated recruit, but Billy Pittman was a star while running a 4.9 his whole career because VY trusted him and had a connection with him (meaning he knew Pittman's speed downfield and in and out of breaks perfectly so always put the ball where Pittman needed it). If Ewers has that with Cain then he can be productive while never getting a sniff from an NFL scout.

This is correct, especially when there is a legitimate superstar n the other side of the field in Worthy. Your #2 and #3 guys will rarely be drawing double teams or added defensive focus; their rapport with the QB is honestly more important than measurables.

Now, I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's ass about Cain. This is probably $9.95 fan fic because that's what this kind of thing almost always is. But if he's got the hands (remember, literally no one outside of Worthy could catch shit last year) and has clicked with Ewers, it's plausible he could be a big plus. 

17 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

nfl-peyton-manning.gif.cbb0e17e5ad7ace2ef46d6f9546c788d.gif

Still the best SNL skit ever, IMO.

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

lol holy overreaction batman

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, victory88 said:

The way he announced QB1 without telling the team first tells me it was a big fuck you to the 9.95ers.  Sark has a responsibility to coach and develop Card and I’m sure he probably felt it was unfair to Card and the team.

Per Burton, Sark told the team and then had John Bianco make the announcement shortly after.

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I don't see why anyone would cite David Ash at all. He had a handful of serviceable games but most notably couldn't shake Derp until the latter graduated. 

In 2012 Ash started every game he was healthy and was firmly the starter and played well.

But in 2012 the defense regressed badly. And so it was a 4-loss team.

Then 2013 Ash was hurt badly and a promising career was set back.
  • Hook 'Em 4

This makes so little sense it would fit in our now satirical Twitter timeline. Be better. 
Also Surly (collectively) has the most insider access out of all the sites, we have the most relationships directly into the program and we have the most reliable sources. Yet, we aren't in the "business" of breaking stories so we never do.  

We’re one degree away from a scat site. Surly reputation management’s gonna be challenging

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

The gamblers tweet?   Idk if that meant anything.  I checked out Cards Twitter. Either I’m doing it wrong or he hasn’t been active for like a year

it’s been obvious that it’s Quinn’s job to lose for a while.   And I look forward to it.  Card may have performed better but just watching them throw it’s very clear who the more talented guy is

Credit to humping here for prompt settlement of the bet on QB. Good to see folks can live up to their word on Surly. 

38 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Why does the Texas AD and Bianco allow FCB and that fat fuck Ketch and Anwar at media sessions.  Those guys need to be banned yesterday.  Let them report whatever the fuck they want but being banned from media sessions would 100% publicly show their subscribers they are full of shit.

Card was never going to be the starter.  Whether you like it or not, the players read these reports and I can definitely see Sark being frustrated.  The way he announced QB1 without telling the team first tells me it was a big fuck you to the 9.95ers.  Sark has a responsibility to coach and develop Card and I’m sure he probably felt it was unfair to Card and the team.

In short, fuck ketch, Anwar, Chip, and even Mike Roach.  Nahlin can fuck right off too.  Those guys don’t know jack shit.  The only people you should feel confident in are Gerry and Bobby.  Although, I will say that TFB tend to be the first to break a lot of news and tend to be right as well.  

I get what you’re saying about TFB, but weren’t they also wrong on the QB front and pimping alleged player support for Card? I don’t know if I am misremembering or not, so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Bobby and Gerry are shit too. 

As for Bianco? Kepp your enemies closer I guess

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Credit to humping here for prompt settlement of the bet on QB. Good to see folks can live up to their word on Surly. 

I get what you’re saying about TFB, but weren’t they also wrong on the QB front and pimping alleged player support for Card? I don’t know if I am misremembering or not, so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. 

I didn’t see anything like that but hell I have an awful memory and maybe I even posted soemthing from them about Quinn being less than studious.   What I do remember is like a month ago they said Quinn was leading big time.  

I’ve been having fun with this but the moment Quinn visited campus I knew this bet was a loss.  Quinn is just that much better.  Did I have some hope over the last couple days?  Maybe. But not really cuz if fat ketch though I will say surely this fucker isn’t dumb enough to post fake qb shit after the swoopes debacle.   I know a lot of people that have left OB because of him and only him 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Gidnik said:

I do like this theory, even if it is fiction. It basically says Sark woke up and saw the OB report and said FCB. This is always the right answer and gives me hope on Sark 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3