2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From IT's scrimmage notes yesterday.

Interesting. We’ll see. If they want to use 12 personnel and effectively run the ball then they are going to want to be using Helm.

I’ve always envisioned Billingsly as more of a speciality player than someone who will stay on the field for a significant amounts of snaps.

Edited by Hookem2147

53 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ewers. Not even close.

Not really a fair comp... Whomever is at NU is going to struggle. They have fallen to a depth we can only hope to not achieve... Kansas would beat them by 2TDs.

(in the 2 or 3 games I watched NU... they were traaaaaaaashboat.)

15 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

People might be more appreciative of LBer play if the DBs would clean up like they’re supposed to do. Or the edge, which occasionally was the DBs, consistently held containment. Or interior guys commanded double teams occasionally.

But it’d be too much to expect any realistic expectations of them. They have the hardest jobs so they need help no matter how good they are. But yeah at the same time they need to improve in each area. They won’t be the most physical group. Probably not the fastest. But those guys that can run with Deuce Vaughan, run with WRs on crossing routes, get sideline to sideline and consistently hammer an olineman are rare commodities if they exist at all. Spare me the bullshit funneling everything to the LBers. You ain’t funneling shit when you lose contain or dance around a block.

We’ll get good play out of them play this year. Part of that will be those around them doing their jobs better.

Man, hol up... U right, but...

When shit was blocked up right by the DL, last seasons LBs were either late to the hole, or in the wrong hole (insert joke) or just ran themselves into the wash... It was like they didn't even know how to play LB, except for the really  slow dude (that's why he was effective in the pass game, he couldn't even get tricked fast by PA...)

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You're a funny guy, Slacks. I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last.

Thanks.... I understand.

13 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Not really a fair comp... Whomever is at NU is going to struggle. They have fallen to a depth we can only hope to not achieve... Kansas would beat them by 2TDs.

(in the 2 or 3 games I watched NU... they were traaaaaaaashboat.)

Whoever...  Grammar, bro.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Billingsley is still viewed as a draft pick despite blowing his last year at Alabama.  PFF has him as the number 4 TE this year.   Something went very wrong if he transferred here only to sit on the bench, especially as we gravitate toward 12 personnel because our WR room was decimated.  

We will play two future NFL TEs this year who are both receiving threats.  That hasn’t happened here since Scaife and David Thomas in 03/04.

Fuck it. Show me a kiss 

On 8/20/2022 at 1:53 PM, Valmy77 said:

Ewers can suck for a bit if he has the talent to be great. I have been patient for 12 years now, I can be patient for a few games more while he gets his shit together.

Besides all we need to do is beat UTSA and ULM to start the season. 

It's going to take more than a few games for a freshman QB to get his shit together behind an OL comprised of 2 true freshmen (maybe more), a true sophomore, and 2 RS sophomores

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Interesting. We’ll see. If they want to use 12 personnel and effectively run the ball then they are going to want to be using Helm.

I’ve always envisioned Billingsly as more of a speciality player than someone who will stay on the field for a significant amounts of snaps.

When they posted those insider notes that card was leading the qb battle you told us to listen to the facts being reported and that we were wanting Ewers so bad it was fucking up our common sense. Now you think we shouldn’t listen to it? Somehow you’re sure helm is our chance to run the ball effectively? Anybody lined up by banks helping with a double team is going be just fine I’m pretty sure. Billingsley is a matchup nightmare for defenses out of a two tightened set. You plant your flag in strange places lmao. 

Man, hol up... U right, but...
When shit was blocked up right by the DL, last seasons LBs were either late to the hole, or in the wrong hole (insert joke) or just ran themselves into the wash... It was like they didn't even know how to play LB, except for the really  slow dude (that's why he was effective in the pass game, he couldn't even get tricked fast by PA...)

I’m acting as the counter to everyone when discussing the defense. I just give more grace.

DMO didn’t even get the spring in the system. And really his experience is limited at the position. A walk on has probably been doing walk on things with limited game experience. Ford limited game experience. And they hadn’t worked together much either. A new scheme. A new coaching philosophy. After already being in different schemes.

None of us know how much our lightish LBers have to contend with linemen relative to other teams. I’d wager it’s more often than most and when that occurs it changes all of what you say. You will get blocked. You will undercut the play. You’ll probably overrun some plays.

I’d say this group plays the hardest and that can pay dividends.

3 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

When they posted those insider notes that card was leading the qb battle you told us to listen to the facts being reported and that we were wanting Ewers so bad it was fucking up our common sense. Now you think we shouldn’t listen to it? Somehow you’re sure helm is our chance to run the ball effectively? Anybody lined up by banks helping with a double team is going be just fine I’m pretty sure. Billingsley is a matchup nightmare for defenses out of a two tightened set. You plant your flag in strange places lmao. 

Jfc all I said is Helm is a better run blocker than Billingsly, who didn’t transfer to Texas to help chip defensive ends next to Kelvin Banks. Settle down.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

It's going to take more than a few games for a freshman QB to get his shit together behind an OL comprised of 2 true freshmen (maybe more), a true sophomore, and 2 RS sophomores

Such a lazy comment for an industry guy. How many more games and season do you suggest it'll take Card? QE & that OL is what we have, that's what you go with. No one is expecting a title run. 

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

They aren’t exactly the same player. If you’re hoping for that receiving production from Sanders, that’d be outstanding. We need Sanders to be a more willing blocker. If he’s not way more physical, there’s something wrong. I don’t think he could match JMikes quickness. If so and he wants it, looks out.

JMike was special. I saw Sanders single-handedly obliterate my HS team - as an X receiver. He was extremely athletic in HS, and top line speed was there. With his big body I just don’t know about the quickness. 

When we are in 12 personnel? Sanders and Helm.

Sark and Flood used Billingsley in 12 for the entire second half of the season when he was only a second year player and had the best offense in the country. 

• Hook 'Em 3

LB at top 30 is biggest stretch to me.  PFF player grade ranks (Big 12 and National):
Overshown:  29/31, 384/422
Brock:  31/31, 421/422 (!)
Ford: 17/31, 256/422
I’ve seen ppl shit all over PFF player grades but this doesn’t feel that off from the eyeball test.
Can’t imagine an off-season plus a 5’9 FCS transfer is going to elevate performance to top 30 level.  Maybe top 50 if things go really well?  

For fuck sake! Of course its a stretch, because it was an opinion about the best case scenario. “upside”. Exactly like a stretch.

Ford-Overshown-Tucker could be a top 30 unit. You clean up what they see in front of them, improve safety and corner play behind them, then maybe they can do their jobs and then a switch turns on.

Maybe, in a best case scenario-that is their ceiling or upside.

Its like I’m taking crazy pills!
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Thread cleanse. I just want to point out how great Jamaal freakin' Charles was against Ohio State on this one play in 2005.

Watch closely. Vince drops back to pass but the protection breaks down. Vince is in trouble. Suddenly he sees Jamaal and tries to throw it to him but misses pretty badly on account of the Ohio State player draped all over him. A.J. Hawk intercepts. Jamaal dives at Hawk's feet and misses the tackle. At that exact moment it looked like Hawk would score. But Jamaal picks himself off the carpet in a split second and gives chase. He winds his way through traffic, HURDLES a guy, and takes Hawk down at the 17.  The intended target ended up making the tackle 23 yards down the field. The defense did its job and Ohio State had to settle for a field goal after that huge momentum swing. Jamaal was a freshman. It was his second game and it was at Ohio State. The shoe. At night.

You can't teach what Jamaal does here. It's all instinct and it happens so fast. I'll bet Jamaal didn't even have time to think about it while it was happening.

Only game we played that year where the outcome was in doubt.

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I was taking about Gerry. Bobby is one of the main conmen..

If Gerry was that good of a talent evaluator he'd be legitimate and respected on a top staff not scamming bored idiots out of their SS checks

Star Trek Bones GIF

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

For fuck sake! Of course its a stretch, because it was an opinion about the best case scenario. “upside”. Exactly like a stretch.

Ford-Overshown-Tucker could be a top 30 unit. You clean up what they see in front of them, improve safety and corner play behind them, then maybe they can do their jobs and then a switch turns on.

Maybe, in a best case scenario-that is their ceiling or upside.

Its like I’m taking crazy pills!

For fuck sake!  Using those PFF metrics above, Overshown belongs on the 118th ranked LB unit (384/422x130) and Ford would be on 79th ranked unit.  And you’re adding an undersized FCS linebacker.  

Acting like top 30 production out of that group is a reasonable best-case scenario is like me claiming that fucking Sydney Sweeney is a best-case scenario for my weekend.  

Edited by 40acredropout
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

For fuck sake!  Using those PFF metrics above, Overshown belongs on the 118th ranked LB unit (384/422x130) and Ford would be on 79th ranked unit.  And you’re adding an undersized FCS linebacker.  

Acting like top 30 production out of that group is a reasonable best-case scenario is like me claiming that fucking Sydney Sweeney is a best-case scenario outcome.  

This is correct. I understood the premise as well and in universe is the defense coming within striking distance of those defensive “best case scenarios”. 

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Overshown has atrocious eye disciple and has not shown the ability to read the triangle at this point of his career. 

I don’t mean to brag, but I have a tremendous ability to read the triangle. Unfortunately, it’s usually not saying what I want it to say. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sark and Flood used Billingsley in 12 for the entire second half of the season when he was only a second year player and had the best offense in the country. 

Yes but he regressed last year (NEVERMIND that that was in the first year with that dipshit BoB instead of Sark) so no way he can pull that off again. 

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I’m acting as the counter to everyone when discussing the defense. I just give more grace.

DMO didn’t even get the spring in the system. And really his experience is limited at the position. A walk on has probably been doing walk on things with limited game experience. Ford limited game experience. And they hadn’t worked together much either. A new scheme. A new coaching philosophy. After already being in different schemes.

None of us know how much our lightish LBers have to contend with linemen relative to other teams. I’d wager it’s more often than most and when that occurs it changes all of what you say. You will get blocked. You will undercut the play. You’ll probably overrun some plays.

I’d say this group plays the hardest and that can pay dividends.

I want to believe...

But I will agree on playing hard.  The LBs weren't quitters or half-assers.

2 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

The Tech game really is going to be the barometer game for the season. 1st road game, hostile environment, a lot of youth on offense. Defense and Robinson need to control that game. Win that game and 8+ wins are very attainable, and likely going to have a shot the conference championship game with 2nd half Big 12 schedule tilts against OSU and Baylor.

5 hours ago, Slacks said:

Strong was brought in to get rid of people... Allegedly.

I was told Steve Patterson was hired because he was willing to get rid of people in the AD and I believe at least a few of them are still on the 40...

BTW, I noticed there was another firing for good ol' Steve. He couldn't cut it as the CEO of the mighty Arizona Coyotes.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/2018/07/canzano_ex-blazers_ex-texas_ex.html