Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

He can’t be both HC/OC (basically it’s like Andy Reid and a handful of others) plus he cannot work with what he has on hand. He needs to have his team built perfectly. If he watches the tape from Rice he will see what he needs to do to play to QE’s strengths and will scheme around it. The problem is Sark is incredibly stubborn and stubborn people even if moderately successful tend to do the same thing over and over expecting different results. Maybe in practice it looks different but we’ve seen what happens when the pocket collapses. We see what happens when Sark gets locked into his game plan and squats like he’s popping a hernia out his asshole and can’t make adjustments. We have seen it. Hopefully he won’t be the impediment Saturday. 

Games like Kansas, Baylor, and ISU make me wonder what games Sark was stubborn. Hell, even TCU Sark spread it out late (too late), but still changed his game plan. I do think Sark suffers from what most high profile play callers suffer from. They all want to score lots of points and make it look pretty. Anyone remember Strong showing 5 man boxes to Kingsbury and Mahomes still thew it 40-50 times? Sark is a big game hunter. He cant help himself to go for some big shots. Lot of these guys just get bored, if the mundane works. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

He can’t be both HC/OC (basically it’s like Andy Reid and a handful of others) plus he cannot work with what he has on hand. He needs to have his team built perfectly. If he watches the tape from Rice he will see what he needs to do to play to QE’s strengths and will scheme around it. The problem is Sark is incredibly stubborn and stubborn people even if moderately successful tend to do the same thing over and over expecting different results. Maybe in practice it looks different but we’ve seen what happens when the pocket collapses. We see what happens when Sark gets locked into his game plan and squats like he’s popping a hernia out his asshole and can’t make adjustments. We have seen it. Hopefully he won’t be the impediment Saturday. 

He/they tweaked at halftime and Texas scored three straight TDs coming out from halftime. Or no?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We see what happens when Sark gets locked into his game plan and squats like he’s popping a hernia out his asshole and can’t make adjustments. We have seen it.

This reminds me of Herman with the gum chewing. The wad would get bigger and bigger as more shit kept going wrong. Sark does the same thing by squatting lower and lower to the ground. 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

if reports are true and Sark spent less time in off-season focusing on QBs and offense and more time on program stuff, then that might be coming back to bite him.  Coaches can't play whack a mole.  They have to do what they do best and hire competent coaches to handle what they don't do best.   Those will then be hired away.  that's why you always be collecting names.  

I thought the reports said he spent more time around the facility/team during a point in the offseason where most coaches are on vacation? I don't recall reading or hearing anything about him putting off offseason gameplanning or film work. 

Edited by Hookem2147

3 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I think Ewers is a good QB and that Sark is a good coach. The problem is that Ewers can't throw a deep ball and Sark can't stop calling for deep balls. 

Just stop chasing the fucking dragon and call plays that work. 

That's because the deep ball is paramount for opening up the underneath stuff in his offense.  If we can't hit the deep ball, the safeties will be able to move up and take away the intermediate throws.  

27 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

He/they tweaked at halftime and Texas scored three straight TDs coming out from halftime. Or no?

Sorry I type fast bc was dealing with a time constraint. I’m not going to say I was misunderstood and I get what you and other posters have said re-quoting me. I do not believe a HC can be successful calling plays and winning elite signature games and CFP type stuff. I’d feel better if he were UP in the booth if he wants to call plays. That’s me. I’d be ecstatic if he hired a young up and coming wizard on OC and handled the HC thing. I see problems in game and again just my opinion with the two talented RBs we had last year we should have had a better record or at least 2 more wins. My opinion. If Sark wants to do both sit in the booth so he can see everything. I don’t think my opinion is out of line with what other criticisms of Sark have been. As far as Quinn I think yes, many things can be tweaked, but can Sark play to QE’s stengths right now? 

Edited by Nicole44

8 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I think Ewers is a good QB and that Sark is a good coach. The problem is that Ewers can't throw a deep ball and Sark can't stop calling for deep balls. 

Just stop chasing the fucking dragon and call plays that work. 

An immobile QB that can’t throw deep is not a good QB

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

How about some more deep slants and deep outs? 

Ewers' best throws last year were with guys running across the field. 

That's the thing. Colt had no deep ball, either, and we went to the mnc on the short/ intermediate passing game. I don't see why we can't do the same with Quinn, a better oline, better TEs, and better RBs.

Edited by Mikey4
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I'm not sure if Sark tweaked anything.

Sanders TD looked like blown coverage by Rice. No one covered Sanders coming off the line. No sure anything special was called or designed.

Mitchell TD was more of a "fucking finally!" than something creative. Mitchell had 1v1 coverage for most of the day. I'm hoping there were others but that was the one slant that remember him running ran all day. Crazy enough it was off an RPO which froze the LB underneath. In a another thread, I expressed amazement we didn't call more RPOs. Mitchell is lightning in a bottle. That we hardly featured him when he was 1v1, especially in the first half, is either on purpose or flat out stupidity. In the first half, Mitchell was pissed. I'm hoping Sark saved all those Mitchell RPO slants for Bama. Cause if not, Sark should relinquish play calling duties.

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

An immobile QB that can’t throw deep is not a good QB

He ran for first downs on I think 3 3rd and longs. He's mobile enough.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Sorry I type fast bc was dealing with a time constraint. I’m not going to say I was misunderstood and I get what you and other posters have said requiring me. I do not believe a HC can be successful calling plays and winning elite signature games and CFP type stuff. I’d feel better if he were UP in the booth if he wants to call plays. That’s me. I’d be ecstatic if he hired a young up and coming wizard on OC and handled the HC thing. I see problems in game and again just my opinion with the two talented RBs we had last year we should have had a better record or at least 2 more wins. My opinion. If Sark wants to do both sit in the booth so he can see everything. I don’t think my opinion is out of line with what other criticisms of Sark have been. As far as Quinn I think yes, many things can be tweaked, but can Sark play to QE’s stengths right now? 

I’d prefer that Sarkisian either get someone basically to run the sideline as game day head coach or, less optimally, get an OC. His strength is his offensive approach, imo, and handing that off doesn’t seem like a net win. 

An offense is going to have a hard time operating full time like it’s constrained by the end line as in red zone offense. The defense needs to be attacked at all three levels, sideline to sideline, imo. Even if the offense can operate super efficiently up to the intermediate level, the inability to stretch the defense will ultimately undo it. The question isn’t getting by without the deep ball, it’s how to give Ewers a better chance to make those connections. I feel like something along the line of posts and post corners or something that doesn’t have the sideline as a constraint would work better, but if I knew WTF would work, I’d be cashing my fat checks and prepping my team for its game this weekend. 

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I'm not sure if Sark tweaked anything.

Fair enough. Sarkisian is a liar on top of being incompetent, then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

In the first half, Mitchell was pissed. I'm hoping Sark saved all those Mitchell RPO slants for Bama. Cause if not, Sark should relinquish play calling duties.

Was he pissed on the first series when his laziness caused a turnover on downs? I’m hoping Sark lit into Mitchell and embarrassed him in front of the entire team. 

How about we stop bitching about play calling against Fucking Rice.  Sark was never concerned about losing this game.  He just called what he wanted to call.  There is still plenty to bitch about but scheme and play calling against Rice isn't one of them.  I think we get a much better feel for how much Sark trusts Ewers and this offense and how he wants to call games this year starting this week.  That is of course if our interior OL gives us a chance to actually run an offense.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Was he pissed on the first series when his laziness caused a turnover on downs? I’m hoping Sark lit into Mitchell and embarrassed him in front of the entire team. 

Probably. His demeanor in the 2nd half seemed much better. He looked over and interacted more with the sideline/coaches.

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

How about we stop bitching about play calling against Fucking Rice.  Sark was never concerned about losing this game.  He just called what he wanted to call.  There is still plenty to bitch about but scheme and play calling against Rice isn't one of them.  I think we get a much better feel for how much Sark trusts Ewers and this offense and how he wants to call games this year starting this week.  That is of course if our interior OL gives us a chance to actually run an offense.

There were days not too long ago when we would have crawled over broken glass to have 425 total yards in 3 quarters against any opponent with a pulse.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, troph said:

He’s late, he’s inaccurate, he gets too much air under it, his footwork sucks, it’s tecmo bowl looking. Take your shots but call the game to his strengths, let the guy toss the ball around to 4-5 guys 25 yards and less and go score some fucking points. 

This, and also 4-5 loss of down plays a game really hurt under the new,  fewer possessions clock rules.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

That's because the deep ball is paramount for opening up the underneath stuff in his offense.  If we can't hit the deep ball, the safeties will be able to move up and take away the intermediate throws.  

like what happened against Rice. Texas was 0-6 on deep balls and Sark went RPO heavy and they rolled off 3 TDs.. oh wait

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Skipper said:

How about we stop bitching about play calling against Fucking Rice.  Sark was never concerned about losing this game.  He just called what he wanted to call.  There is still plenty to bitch about but scheme and play calling against Rice isn't one of them.  

This isn't MLB. We don't play 162 games. Every game matters, especially the week before going to Alabama. It would have been nice for our offense to get more reps on plays that our QB can actually execute. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My sincere hope is that this game lights a fire under some asses. It should definitely be a wakeup call to several players and even one entire position group. I don't know, maybe that's one of the benefits of running a vanilla offense and playing with a hand tied behind our back. Shows the players that they can't get complacent. 

1 hour ago, Josef Pwag said:

This isn't MLB. We don't play 162 games. Every game matters, especially the week before going to Alabama. It would have been nice for our offense to get more reps on plays that our QB can actually execute. 

there is literally no single game i have cared less about in the last decade+, than Game 1 of the 2023 season.

huge expectations for this season, from inside and outside the program. home game vs Rice of all teams. playing @ Alabama in Game 2.

...the only goals you have as a coaching staff and as players for that game is to 1) win and 2) get out of it healthy

the starters on defense played like 20 snaps! the third string RB played like 20 snaps! Whittington played like 30 snaps. Keilan Robinson had 2 touches. SAVION RED got snaps at RB. Juan Davis and DeAndre Moore played. the walk on TE got snaps. Ryan Niblett got snaps.

...Are you worried because Jahde Barron only played 14 snaps, Jalen Catalon played 18, Ryan Watts played 22 and Anthony Hill didn't blitz on defense? come on dude.

they were playing Rice, currently the #121 team in FEI. they are getting better reps in practice when the 1s play vs the 1s. and they are playing more than 20 snaps of that too.

Come On Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

this isn't complicated! don't worry about the numbers! game 1 vs Rice doesn't matter!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Josef Pwag said:

Sure every game matters.  Some matter more than others.  All that "mattered" against Rice when you play Bama week 2 is winning with minimal injuries while getting game reps and hopefully experience for younger players.

I'm sure Sark fully expected the team to execute the base offense he ran.   And I'm sure he wasn't happy with first half execution at times. But neither Texas nor Bama showed either shit Saturday.   Both teams are probably looking at Saturday's game tape for personnel and flaws but no doubt most scout team work will be based on last years film.   

That's just the nature of football when your schedule has an elite opponent week 2.  If we had OU's schedule and didn't play a top 25 team until the Cotton Bowl, then you have a little more of a luxury to run the entire offense.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Jesus. Let’s not dissect anything then. 

6 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I dissected a fetal pig as a freshman in highschool, but I don't know why you're calling me out

6 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Why did you not help out Clemson last night? Dabo said it was God’s team. That’s pretty shitty Jesus. 

IMG_7032.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

No way, I just rewatched it an Worthy's foot lands at least a foot out of bounds, not even close.

What's worse is he had his man beat by 2 yards running about 3 yards from the sideline.  So, not only does Worthy have to wait for the ball, but Quinn threw him outside.  

There was no safety help, so Quinn should have lead him inside.  It was simply a horrible throw.

In fact, the only decent ball he threw over 25 yards was the one to Sanders that JW broke up in the endzone.  

1st throw to Worthy was a beat too late & should have been a TD & should have been Pass Interference at the least.

2nd throw was an absolute dime while rolling right with a defender bearing down on him. That's an elite throw and only Whittington being Mr. Hustle & bringing his defender with him stopped that from being a highlight throw & catch.

3rd throw was high & would have killed JT against P5 competition. Should have thrown it right as he passed the LB but waited too long & threw into traffic

4th throw had too much air under it & was, again, about a second too late. Play-by-play guy said it got caught in the breeze. No clue if that's correct but, if it is, Ewers should have known that & thrown it with even less air. That was a pop-fly of a pass

5th throw he got blasted with pressure up the gut immediately from the OL. Let it go super early & Mitchell broke to the inside instead of the outside

6th throw again with pressure up the middle after the play action & threw off his back foot. With how open AD was he probably could have thrown it as soon as he turned around- should have been a TD, should have definitely been Pass Interference.

All in all his deep shots weren't ATROCIOUS & only throwing 6 of them the entire game (one of them an improvisation) isn't nearly as bad as some of y'all make it out to be. His most common problem seems to be waiting a beat too long to let it fly - especially to Worthy who's fast enough to track it down normally. That's the opposite of what he was doing at times last year where he was throwing it so early the WR hadn't even turned around yet & had no idea QE had even thrown it to them. He certainly needs to hit on 1/2 of them if we have any hope of having as successful of a year as we're all hoping to, but just in reference to that game I'm much more concerned with how dogshit our OL looked. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

That's the thing. Colt had no deep ball, either, and we went to the mnc on the short/ intermediate passing game. I don't see why we can't do the same with Quinn, a better oline, better TEs, and better RBs.

Colt was able to hit WRs in the numbers and in stride with his passes. He didn’t make receivers jump high to reach the ball like Quinn does.

Colt played with no hesitation and had good footwork. Watch this crappy quality Colt highlight video and you can clearly see the difference between Colt and Quinn’s skill level. 

Everything before 1:47 is Colt’s freshman season. I know the scenarios are completely different. Colt was playing with starters from the 2005 season while Quinn is playing with a very young team and inexperienced OL. I’m just saying to compare the raw talent. Some of Colt’s highlights are him making an amazing play when shit broke down and he had to react quickly. I don’t see this from Quinn where he can make something happen if everything doesn’t go perfectly. This is not something you can teach.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

I don't know, maybe that's one of the benefits of running a vanilla offense and playing with a hand tied behind our back. Shows the players that they can't get complacen

I saw an interview with Bill Parcells where he said he did that for some games. 

Not sure Sark did that but maybe he did.  

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

Colt was able to hit WRs in the numbers and in stride with his passes. He didn’t make receivers jump high to reach the ball like Quinn does.

Colt played with no hesitation and had good footwork. Watch this crappy quality Colt highlight video and you can clearly see the difference between Colt and Quinn’s skill level. 

That vid reminds me just how good McCoy was as a freshman, at the time I could not have been more impressed.

It just occurred to me that, while it is obvious he wouldn't recruit him as a serious threat to start, I also feel like Sarkisian would not have the slightest idea what to do with a Colt McCoy if he somehow found himself forced to play him. In this hypothetical I think they could absolutely be a winning QB/Coach combination, but I think Sark would have to see it on the field to believe it.

I should have prefaced that with "I'm an idiot but" so I'll leave it here instead.

6 hours ago, DixonHur said:

No way, I just rewatched it an Worthy's foot lands at least a foot out of bounds, not even close.

What's worse is he had his man beat by 2 yards running about 3 yards from the sideline.  So, not only does Worthy have to wait for the ball, but Quinn threw him outside.  

There was no safety help, so Quinn should have lead him inside.  It was simply a horrible throw.

In fact, the only decent ball he threw over 25 yards was the one to Sanders that JW broke up in the endzone.  

What really jumps out at me in that vid is he is more accurate when his feet aren't set. In contrast, the clean-pocket happy-feet airmail balls remind me of the yips where the pitcher can't get it within 10 feet of his first baseman.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

That pass to Worthy against Bama last year was a thing of beauty. I wish we saw more of that from him.

Throw to Sanders against OU where he dropped it between 3 defenders was one of my favorites from last year.  I don't know what to expect against Bama as I don't think he's going to have a ton of time back there.  Hopefully Sark can scheme him some easy throws.  But I still think he'll put it together this year and have a good season.

• Hook 'Em 2

There is no denying the arm talent/ability.  Ewers was one of those guys blessed by the gods where he can flick his arm and make some ridiculous throws. It's gotten him to where he is probably without a lot of effort.  Note I'm not saying he doesn't work. More that there has never been a struggle or something he just HAD to fix when his arm could take care of it all.  And certainly, nobody ever doubted him growing up.

He's like the guy who can pump 95mph in HS baseball so location and off-speed stuff wasn't that big a deal when you could just blow dudes away.  But get to college or the pros and they will hit that middle/middle shit all day.

It's not a coincidence in the QB ranks that many of the all-time greats at the college/pro level had to struggle, scrap, be seriously doubted somewhere along the way.  

Yeah, you have to have skill, and a lot of it at this level....but more importantly, ya gotta have will.  

Guess we will find out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GringoSalado said:

That vid reminds me just how good McCoy was as a freshman, at the time I could not have been more impressed.

I think people forget that we went into the K-State game where Colt got hurt with serious national championship potential. Had Colt not gotten hurt against K-State, then played injured vs Aggy, and we won out, we'd have made the title game. Because going into that K-State game, everything had fallen into place where Texas was going to be ranked #3 with Michigan and Ohio State ahead of us as #1 and #2 on a collision course the following week. And this was before the BCS started letting conference opponents make the title game.

Colt had us seriously in the national championship hunt every year he was at Texas except maybe his sophomore year. The literal sophomore slump, his worst year at Texas.

23 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Colt was literally the most accurate passer in football history when he played. His 2008 completion percentage was 76.7%. That is fucking nuts. He connected on more than 3/4 of his pass attempts. And his passes were on the numbers in stride, that dude could fucking sling it.

I guess my point is that comparing Quinn Ewers to Colt is as silly as comparing Sam Ehlinger to Vince Young. Colt wasn't just good, he was one of the single best players in college football history. That he didn't win a heisman is a fucking travesty. It's not like Colt was merely good. Colt McCoy was all-time great.

Colt was insanely good. Mix in Quan Cosby and Jordan Shipley and it's the greatest passing attack Texas has ever seen.

Have people gone back and rewatched the 1st half possessions carefully? Most of the blame is on missed blocking assignments. I think ewers is getting a bad shake on this board. We had 7 possession in the first half.

1: ewers tripped, low throw to sanders on 4th down. This TOD is on ewers.

2: brooks long screen for a td

3: 1st deep ball should have been dpi, 0 gain Baxter run, OL failed on 3rd down - QE should have stepped up and thrown but tried to squeeze through and run and was tackled.

4: 2nd deep not even close to ad made irrelevant from a defensive offsides, nice slant to worthy to get into red zone: then bad run, followed by ewers bootleg out of bounds, and a dropped td by brooks-fg

5:long cb4 run, got to 21yd line then: bad run, good throw to JT in end zone almost a great td (great deep ball by ewers here), false start on 52 followed by a 3rd & forever deep middle throw that sailed and went incomplete-fg

6:worthy stepped oob cost us a 1st down, good brooks run, followed by brooks stopped on 3rd up the middle, 4th&1or2 run but ad missed block and rb was stuffed . TOD

7:get the ball on the 3yd line with 4:25 and somehow run out of time…two bad missed deep shots in this possession. Bunch of missed blocks. Fg

Good analysis. A few add ons.

1. The tod was a freshman rb missing a key block forcing Ewers into a quick throw. Plus punting was also an acceptable option there.

3. Spot on. This isn’t on the line. The pocket was fine. Quinn decided to run
In that same series, AD wiffs on two blocks on the Baxter run. O line was fine.

Add on penalties for us, ignored for them, and it adds up quickly.

After rewatching, I overreacted to a poor 1st half where I wanted bludgeoned puppies.

25 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I guess my point is that comparing Quinn Ewers to Colt is as silly as comparing Sam Ehlinger to Vince Young

Why is this a silly comparison? Quinn and Sam played QB at Texas. So did Colt and Vince. I want to go back to playing football with a Colt and Vince type of QB. It should not be silly to compare any Texas QB to Colt and Vince. This is a level of football we should always expect from our QBs.

11 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Why is this a silly comparison? Quinn and Sam played QB at Texas. So did Colt and Vince. I want to go back to playing football with a Colt and Vince type of QB. It should not be silly to compare any Texas QB to Colt and Vince. This is a level of football we should always expect from our QBs.

Because Colt didn't really become team-lifting great until his junior season. Colt was great his freshman season, but he was also playing with the national championship squad. Colt had a dip his sophomore season when he left. Then he had that south america jesus trip he took between his sophomore and junior seasons when he went down mexico way and rubbed some Tijuana-magic on his bicepts and became other-worldly.

And also because Colt and Vince aren't our standards, they're literally the best we ever had. Like, it's super cute and all to go out there and demand every QB that comes through is literally the best ever, but that's not realistic and will just lead to you having angry diarrhea on saturday nights.

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Colt was insanely good. Mix in Quan Cosby and Jordan Shipley and it's the greatest passing attack Texas has ever seen.

Clutch on 3rd downs, too. It made them basically unbeatable because whenever they needed an improbable catch, they'd get it. That's what made the OU game so great, OU was actually firing on all cylinders for most of the game. That meant every possession for Colt was do-or-die, and he came through on every drive after Shipley's kickoff return. That game was magical for Colt McCoy, the absolute best he ever was.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If you think every QB should play like the 2 best to ever do it at your school you’re going to be very disappointed as a fan no matter the school you root for. Dumb. 

Now should a 1.000 recruit play up to a higher standard? Probably, but Ewers didn’t grade himself with that made up 9.95 number.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet