Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

Just watched the final four plays again on DVR. Here's my summation:

1st-and-10 @ WASH 12: Either a terrible play-call or worse check-down (given the situation) by Ewers results in flat pass to Blue for a loss of 1 yard

2nd-and-11 @ WASH 13: Ewers air-mails a pass to Mitchell out of the back of endzone, don't know if he was throwing it away or what but the ball wasn't remotely catchable

3rd-and-11 @ WASH 13: Ewers is immediately pressured from the outside and throws the ball out of bounds (looks like a big fuck up by Banks)

4th-and-11 @ WASH 13: Ewers lobs it to the outside and corner of end zone to Mitchell and the Wash defender swipes it away, not the throw I'd call or make -- actually watching the replay, Mitchell is open for a lower, driven throw, not the lob ball that Ewers seems to prefer; that said, Mitchell is open and his first move is to the inside before turning back outside, maybe if his first move is outside he can better adjust and shield off the defender???

I just think I'd prefer four passes with players criss-crossing in the end-zone than the four plays Sark called there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

1st-and-10 @ WASH 12: Either a terrible play-call or worse check-down (given the situation) by Ewers results in flat pass to Blue for a loss of 1 yard

2nd-and-11 @ WASH 13: Ewers air-mails a pass to Mitchell out of the back of endzone, don't know if he was throwing it away or what but the ball wasn't remotely catchable

3rd-and-11 @ WASH 13: Ewers is immediately pressured from the outside and throws the ball out of bounds (looks like a big fuck up by Banks)

4th-and-11 @ WASH 13: Ewers lobs it to the outside and corner of end zone to Mitchell and the Wash defender swipes it away, not the throw I'd call or make -- actually watching the replay, Mitchell is open for a lower, driven throw, not the lob ball that Ewers seems to prefer; that said, Mitchell is open and his first move is to the inside before turning back outside, maybe if his first move is outside he can better adjust and shield off the defender???

I just think I'd prefer four passes with players criss-crossing in the end-zone than the four plays Sark called there.

Actually sounds like it starts with Flood and his group. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:

If Quinn was in year 6 of CFB like Penix I think the game tonight goes much better for us. Wasn't all on him though.

Now to chug some water and hope my hangover tomorrow isn't too heinous.

This is part of it. I'm really looking forward to getting all of those guys like Penix and Nix out of college football. Penix has played six seasons and Nix has like 60 starts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

At that point, there’s limited benefit to releasing your back. You basically have 4 total plays. Leave him to help pass pro.

Whatever it was, that was as poor an attempt as you’ll see in that situation. Awful.
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

At that point, there’s limited benefit to releasing your back. You basically have 4 total plays. Leave him to help pass pro.

Whatever it was, that was as poor an attempt as you’ll see in that situation. Awful.

Agreed

I didn’t like the final throw (should have been thrown like a deep out, on a line) but Quinn was far FAR down the list of issues last night.

DBs getting torched.

DL with very limited pressure.

fumbles by Texas.

WRs never seeing the well thrown ball.

OL giving up pressure consistently.

And Quinn still had Texas in a position to have 4 chances at tying the ball game from the 15.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Derka: "y’all can yell at me all you want."  "you can insult me all you want"

Favorite parts from this previous post...

Hell of a season -- surprised to see Texas get in the CFP.   

Hook'em 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Block is an effective tool. 

But I've never laughed as hard as I laughed with what LTX fan quoted in his last post.  Every thread gets Derkad then when poeple do exactly what is quoted he says we are all just taking it out on him and picking on him.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I really want to see arch next year but will Quinn come back if he thinks he will get passed up by arch? 

If he gets passed up by Arch then he should think about a career in something other than sports. There is no reason he shouldnt be able to improve his game enough to retain the job. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I really want to see arch next year but will Quinn come back if he thinks he will get passed up by arch? 

If he gets passed up by Arch then he should think about a career in something other than sports. There is no reason he shouldnt be able to improve his game enough to retain the job. 

Y’all ready for eight full months of this?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I can deny it. There's a good argument that Penix was robbed of the Heisman. He threw for 430 tonight in the second-best statistical performance by a quarterback in CFP history. Quinn probably beats him tonight if the CB doesn't make a great play on the ball at the end there, or if Jaydon Blue doesn't fumble, or the ball doesn't bounce off Muhammad's hands directly to Odunze. So lose the faux condescension and stop this sad attempt at a victory lap.

Penix played out of his mind. If he played like that all year the heisman should’ve won it. He was making insane throws. That wa slime lsu 19. Unreal. How were we even in this game and it wasn’t a blow out offense didn’t play great defense was shaky. But here we are a heart breaker. So damn proud of this team regardless. I feel for the players.

The play calling was suspect but red zone has been all year so what do we expect.
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I think he actually needs to be more of a gunslinger.  The arm talent is real, but he can get risk averse and robotic at times.  Both this year and last year there have been lots of plays where he throws too early before the WR gets their head around, or he goes from primary read straight to check down. He doesn’t throw on the move a lot when he has to leave the pocket - it’s usually just full run mode.

There is kind of a weird dearth of off schedule plays or throws like the one to Sanders in a tight window up the seam from the OU game last year, considering he actually does have the arm to hit those tight windows.  

Granted, the fact that we didn’t see him even attempt any bullets like that in 4 downs from the 12 when needing a TD might be unduly influencing my take.  But it’s still weird to see a rocket arm QB that doesn’t really ever gun it.

yeah my thoughts as well.  Have we ever seen him throw a ball with the speed and trajectory as Penix's 2nd quarter dart between the safeties?  I have never seen him throw a fastball.  It's weird that he can comfortably throw it 60+ yards but also not appear to be able (or at least never tries) to throw a frozen rope.  Might be his low throwing mechanics.

Edited by gurt

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

If you watched the post game presser, he sounded pretty damn sure that he's coming back. I'm sure he was lost in the emotions of being pissed on how we lost but unless something changes like a favorable draft grade, he's coming back. I want him back. A 3rd year Quinn is going to take us further than a RS Fresh Arch. 

Absolutely agree.

26 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

If Quinn comes back he’s going to be a bad motherfucker next year.

Lol how the fuck is he gonna go pro after that performance. He was getting his passes batted at the line. He had to run to move the ball. They aint gonna cut it in the NFL. He has to come back.  

22 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

If you watched the post game presser, he sounded pretty damn sure that he's coming back. I'm sure he was lost in the emotions of being pissed on how we lost but unless something changes like a favorable draft grade, he's coming back. I want him back. A 3rd year Quinn is going to take us further than a RS Fresh Arch. 

Agreed

8 hours ago, CoTex said:

What happened on that pass play to worthy that was a deep ball incompletion.  First half.

It looked like Worthy never even looked for the ball.  Just running down field with a defender and ball bounces on ground next to him.

Miscommunication?

Who is that on?

Just that one play?  Sheeeiiit, I counted half a dozen throws to nothing where the intended receiver only turned around when the ball went bouncing by him.  This entire team was just not ready last night.  Penalties, passes to nowhere, fumbles, DBs never turning around to find the ball, untouched DLinemen swarming our QB, on and on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Lol how the fuck is he gonna go pro after that performance. He was getting his passes batted at the line. He had to run to move the ball. They aint gonna cut it in the NFL. He has to come back.  

Agreed

I was thinking the same thing - especially when  you could see the passes Penix was completing in comparison.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Atticus said:

The OL really struggled to protect as well as we needed to run the plays we wanted to run.

I'm not sure why we didn't run more short passes to Worthy since they were playing like 7-10 yards off of him for much of the game.

We also didn't have the ball much.

Tough game.

I am not sure there is was an offensive player for Texas that I would say had a better, than a B game. Quinn is probably up there for best offensive players vs Washington. It was not on of the best performances by Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, ousux said:

If Quinn was in year 6 of CFB like Penix I think the game tonight goes much better for us. Wasn't all on him though.

Now to chug some water and hope my hangover tomorrow isn't too heinous.

This. Those extra years are HUGE for a QB. As some coaches have publicly said, it's fucking stupid that we have 6th/7th year QBs in college football these days. Such a big difference.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Agreed

Yep. I think Quinn is gone to the NFL as soon as he possibly can but I don't see how he's anything better than a 3rd Rounder at this point.

21 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Just that one play?  Sheeeiiit, I counted half a dozen throws to nothing where the intended receiver only turned around when the ball went bouncing by him.  This entire team was just not ready last night.  Penalties, passes to nowhere, fumbles, DBs never turning around to find the ball, untouched DLinemen swarming our QB, on and on.

We looked off-kilter from the absolute start last night with the jumpy penalties right out of the chute.

13 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Because they were coached to get their damn hands up!!!  How is this hard to figure out????

Because he's 6-2 and flings a lot of passes sidearm.

• Like 1

Quinn made very positive strides this year physically and mentally. 

From my amateur fan eyes/perspective, the biggest issue that needs to be worked on is a lack of urgency. His footwork and decision making can be sloppy and slow in the pocket. There are situations where he needs to rocket a ball in there instead of casually throwing with touch. 

I think it's all mental. He seems very calm and relaxed out there, which in general is a good thing. But the focus and urgency needs to be amped up. 

16 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Quinn made very positive strides this year physically and mentally. 

From my amateur fan eyes/perspective, the biggest issue that needs to be worked on is a lack of urgency. His footwork and decision making can be sloppy and slow in the pocket. There are situations where he needs to rocket a ball in there instead of casually throwing with touch. 

I think it's all mental. He seems very calm and relaxed out there, which in general is a good thing. But the focus and urgency needs to be amped up. 

Cleaning up his footwork is priority number one imo. All the other issues stem from that. It’s what causes him to self sack often and is the reason he struggles for accuracy. Get that fixed and he will be much more comfortable in the pocket 

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Final play from a different angle. 

Fuck me. He was breaking wide open for an easy pitch and catch. Looks like the DB was playing for back pylon fade. As the tweet says, Penix makes that pass with ease. That was a terrible throw and placement. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Final play from a different angle. 

It was so high and outside that if Adonai was able to catch it, I'm not convinced he'd be able to get a foot down, without getting pushed out while in the air.  Quinn had to give the receiver a better shot than that.

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest

It was a pretty simple pitch and catch. DB was way off playing the jump ball fade. QE waited too long and then throw a very low percentage throw. Not even sure where the second guessing is here. It was a poor throw and Penix absolutely makes the necessary play to win that game.

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Fuck me. He was breaking wide open for an easy pitch and catch. Looks like the DB was playing for back pylon fade. As the tweet says, Penix makes that pass with ease. That was a terrible throw and placement. 

Would have like to seen a ball on a rope… but im sitting in a chair typing this out so fuck me. Million other things should have went differently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

It was a pretty simple pitch and catch. DB was way off playing the jump ball fade. QE waited too long and then throw a very low percentage throw. Not even sure where the second guessing is here. It was a poor throw and Penix absolutely makes the necessary play to win that game.

It happens dude. The moment was too big for him and he fired off a dud. 

Just now, tokamak said:

I'm incredulous that anyone believes that Arch gives us a better chance to win next year than QE. Love Arch and his potential, but that is a wild take.

I think Arch needs a ton of snaps if he's going to develop