Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

1 hour ago, Hornsome said:

It doesn’t matter.  If Quinn goes down, we are in real trouble with QB2 or QB3.  The gap between Quinn and the others right now is huge especially at this level of play. This is the playoffs and you need your best playing.  

I wish Maalik the best and get why he has to make this move. It’s not selfish, it’s the situation.

Don't you Garret Gilbert my Manning.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

People have been saying that the portal and NIL was going to ruin college football. I didn't see why that had to be the case. I get it now. I used to love the NFL, but free agency pretty much has ruined it. The team doesn't mean anything. I saw Harvey Martin interviewed one time. They asked him about throwing a funeral wreath in the Redskin's locker room one time after they kicked their asses. He said he can't believe the way players laugh and hug the other teams players after games. He said back then the teams hated each other. That was great football. The NFL has become almost unwatchable now. I still love college football but it's headed the same direction.

OK, boomer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

People have been saying that the portal and NIL was going to ruin college football. I didn't see why that had to be the case. I get it now. I used to love the NFL, but free agency pretty much has ruined it. The team doesn't mean anything. I saw Harvey Martin interviewed one time. They asked him about throwing a funeral wreath in the Redskin's locker room one time after they kicked their asses. He said he can't believe the way players laugh and hug the other teams players after games. He said back then the teams hated each other. That was great football. The NFL has become almost unwatchable now. I still love college football but it's headed the same direction.

It was pretty fun in the 90's as a Cowboys fan when there wasn't a salary cap.  Fingers crossed that is the start of a similar era for UT.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Hyperbole is strong in this thread. I really hope he does well wherever he lands and he seemingly did everything the right way while he was here. He’s not a player who’s skills will be missed or who’s going to start at another program. That’s just all there is to it.

Early congrats on the Heisman, Maalik.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Can't blame the kid, at all. It's a bad situation all the way around, that he's just making the best of. 

With regard to his future prospects, I'd be less concerned about his limited on the field performance and more concerned about his ability to stay healthy. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but he was hurt in high school, then suffered a scooter injury at Texas that held kept him out for months, suffered some sort of unreported injury that held him out of practice and put one of his starts in jeopardy, and then somehow got hurt while standing on the sideline. My man is either injury prone or the most unlucky motherfucker I can remember. Good luck to him regardless. I will definitely be pulling for him wherever he ends up.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Daichee Bell said:

Sark is gonna help him find a spot to develop. There’s no animosity here. MM made a hard decision but the correct one.  He’s not gonna be out there flailing in the wind like 90% of these transfers. Hook ‘em, Maalik.

IMO, MM loves Texas but can read the writing on the wall and is doing what he can to maximize his football career. He, although very talented and confident is not an egotistical asshole that over values himself as so many are in today's college game. He is unselfishly doing the best thing for both The University and himself. He'll have a ton of Texas fans, teammates, and former coaches cheering him on every.freaking.Saturday. 

Kick ass big guy.(unless your playing us of course).

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I like him, but he has shown us absolutely nothing meaningful. He had a fair chance to be #2 on the depth chart and was #3 for a reason.
Reason being he is straight out of small high school football while Maalik already had a year in the system. Arch may never live up to the lofty expectations everyone has (including me) but I think by his second full year as a starter he will be a top 5 QB in the country. Just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Maalik did his job perfectly.  As the backup, he won the games that were needed and kept this season on track.  In the past, our backup would have tanked, and we'd be hoping to play in the Alamo Bowl.  

I'll be rooting for him to become a star, wherever he plays next season (except for ou).

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This tweet seems like a lot of shit... Manny sucks, don't think baylor new offense fits, Beavers have new coaches, jawja is more bench time.  Only Washington seems slightly realistic especially if they want more intel on the Longhorns offense before Jan 1st.

UDub would be the best fit. I wish him well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Why is it a bad thing that NFL players are at liberty to play where they want and get paid what they're worth? How is it a bad thing that college players are at liberty to transfer once without penalty in their 5 years of eligibility? They should have the right to play for the team that suits their needs and compensates them the best.

You're living under the delusion that every player on the team you love must loves the team as much as you. Many of the players that come to UT picked our team because our coaches can get them in the NFL or maybe they like the academic programs at UT Austin... maybe it was the on-campus talent that drew them here.

No NFL team is full of players that grew up rooting for them. The draft fucks that up. A fan-team relationship is asymmetric and transactional. You love the team, you give them money, they perform in the game for you. Most of the plays like the attention, but expecting the players to love your team like you do is like falling in love with a stripper.

You can still enjoy the show, but know what you're getting into foe fucks sake.

Edited by LonghornBreeder
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

It’s actually a lot less like the NFL and much more like MLB. There are teams that will never sniff the playoffs because of the massive resource differential. There’s that to an extent in the NFL but salary caps have a major impact on parity. NIL  is even more unregulated than MLB.

I totally get that he got stuck, and also fully understand that he wants to start and probably wont here.  But I really dont understand leaving before the CFP game, the transfer window is open until Jan 15.  Its not like he would gain any extra experience at a school over christmas break. 

we appreciate you helping us win this year MM... Good luck wherever you end up

20 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I totally get that he got stuck, and also fully understand that he wants to start and probably wont here.  But I really dont understand leaving before the CFP game, the transfer window is open until Jan 15.  Its not like he would gain any extra experience at a school over christmas break. 

we appreciate you helping us win this year MM... Good luck wherever you end up

Have you seen how many QBs have entered the portal? More are expected to enter as bowls come to a close. Portal closes shortly after bowl but reopens for 5 days for CFP teams. No way he can manage practice and visits in that market. It’s literally his best interest to do what he can now for his future. It sucks the schedule is what is but such is life. 

im really struggling to see why this is a difficult concept for some of yall to learn. 

he was a good student and representative for our program. Good luck in his future endeavors unless he is playing us. Hook Em

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I think we're going to see that here, simply because what I saw from the guy was a freshman having very typical freshman struggles in his first starts. I think he'll overcome those issues and do well. The only issue he has here is the depth chart in our QB room...

Nonsense. He struggled in his first ever collegiate starts. That means he sucks and we should go out of our way to insult him every chance we get. 

• Drool 1

11 hours ago, troph said:

It’s actually a lot less like the NFL and much more like MLB. There are teams that will never sniff the playoffs because of the massive resource differential. There’s that to an extent in the NFL but salary caps have a major impact on parity. NIL  is even more unregulated than MLB.

Do you even moneyball, bruh?

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I just don't understand why he's leaving the team before the CFP.

Probably because the teams who are after instant help at QB don't want to wait to see who he'll choose after CFP. They want to know who they have so they can recruit the rest of their needs on offense. I don't blame him. The schools that need QBs are going to get them right now. Four of the top 10 QBs in the portal have already transferred/committed.

2 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I think the transfer portal has a rule that you have to enter before the bowl season starts. 

No. CFP entrants have extra time. It's 100% because he wants to be in the early group and choose his new school rather than be limited to what's left.

Edited by AnotherLawyer
Clarity.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

He threw for 162 yards and a TD in the first quarter against K State.

You didn't see "IT" in that performance?!?

And had that performance not cratered after that 1st quarter, I might agree with you.  12 of 28 the rest of the game for 3yds per attempt allowing K-State to erase an early 27-7 deficit and take the game into OT which included one particularly bad interception if memory serves.

15 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I think the transfer portal has a rule that you have to enter before the bowl season starts. 

There is now a 5 day window after the playoffs. Sark also said he woudl let people that went into the portal participate in the playoffs, so this was his call not to play

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1