HBO orders pilot for Game of Thrones prequel

Michael Knight

Taking place thousands of years before the events of “Game of Thrones,” Goldman’s series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend–it’s not the story we think we know.

Goldman co-created the project with George R.R. Martin, whose “A Song of Ice and Fire” novel series serves as the basis for “Game of Thrones.” Goldman and Martin wrote the story, with Goldman writing the teleplay. She will also serve as showrunner. She and Martin will executive produce along with Daniel Zelman and “Game of Thrones” executive producer Vince Gerardis.

The exact nature of the plot of each project has been kept under tight wraps, though Martin has previously made clear that each project is a prequel rather than a spinoff and that none of the current main cast of the series will be involved. He has also ruled out fan theories that any of them will focus on his characters Ser Duncan the Tall and Aegon the Unlikely, or Dunk and Egg as they are popularly known. He has also said that Robert’s Rebellion will not be the subject of any of the prequels.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/game-of-thrones-prequel-series-jane-goldman-hbo-1202837883/

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Fuck that fat bastard.

Over the last year or so, I finally came to peace with the fact that the fat man will never finish the series.

5 hours ago, slorch said:

bring it.

It's as  good as anything else on TV...

Gagreed. I'll watch the shit out of it. RR, I don't think, has it in him to write any more novels, but his world and its stories are still in his head. If they can only come out on the screen now instead of on paper, I suppose I can live with that. I hope HBO milks his brain for whatever is left in there before he croaks. 

There won't be any books for Martin not to write yet hold out to the book fags like an imaginary bone, so there's that...... She's done some good work and some meh work but I'm encouraged.

She wrote both Kingsman movies as well as X-men First Class and Days of Future Past. And Kick-Ass. I’ll give it a shot.

• 4 months later...
On 10/31/2018 at 7:52 PM, kevwun said:

The Age of Heroes would be interesting.  Is that when it's set?

This is the rumor..... This is reportedly all that is known.

It chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

https://www.ign.com/articles/game-of-thrones-cancelled-prequel-even-after-spending-30-million-dollars-on-pilot

HBO Canceled Game of Thrones Prequel Even After Spending $30m on Pilot
The show was based on the Long Night and Age of Heroes.

HBO’s first run at a Game of Thrones prequel was ultimately canceled after they spent a staggering $30 million on a pilot episode. 

43 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/game-of-thrones-cancelled-prequel-even-after-spending-30-million-dollars-on-pilot

HBO Canceled Game of Thrones Prequel Even After Spending $30m on Pilot
The show was based on the Long Night and Age of Heroes.

HBO’s first run at a Game of Thrones prequel was ultimately canceled after they spent a staggering $30 million on a pilot episode. 

I'm glad they did so it could get the fuck out of the way of the prequal that was so obvious it was staring them in the face.  WTF were they thinking when they decided on that subject for the prequal.  When fans talk about GOT, I don't recall a lot of discussion on this era.  We want fucking dragons and shit!  I consider myself a pretty big fan of the whole series.  I've read the books, seen the show multiple times, spent way too much time online trying to learn who the fuck is who, what family is what, and why one group hated another.  I had zero interest in watching multiple seasons going back to the Long Night and the Age of Heroes.  Especially since it sounds like they knew it was not going to work.  Maybe a limited one season series on that era, but I'm sure the goal is another GOT, so that isn't what we were going to get.   

Bring on the incestuous, dragon riding albinos!  I've read Fire & Blood and there is almost no way this won't be kick ass.   

Edited by Go Pokes

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

This just sucks…I’ve been rewatching GOT this week to prepare and then since announcement emoji35.png

I was one of the biggest show fans ever and the way they completely crashed into the side of a mountain with the last season...there's no way I'll ever watch it again.  I still can't believe that happened.  It went from my favorite show ever to something I am ashamed of.  Fuck HBO and fuck those two fucks for phoning it in.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hozz said:

I was one of the biggest show fans ever and the way they completely crashed into the side of a mountain with the last season...there's no way I'll ever watch it again.  I still can't believe that happened.  It went from my favorite show ever to something I am ashamed of.  Fuck HBO and fuck those two fucks for phoning it in.

I've said it before in the GOT threads....the last season has to be the most unanimous shitty end of a series ever - especially for the build up.  I still come across lots of people of all backgrounds (nerds to casual viewers) that think the same.  My stepdad binged it all awhile back..his honest review "what the heck was that final season??"

I can't even push myself to rewatch the good seasons...bc I know how it ends.

• Hook 'Em 3