NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

21 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

They stopped the whole game to do like a presentation? The fuck? 😂

I was at the game at the Forum when Magic broke the assist record (at the time) and Gretzky with the goal scoring record.  They stopped both of those games.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

That’s all true, but it was all launched over a couple of guys in UWM that in college banged some girl that married a higher up at quicken then talked shut about her and passed around pictures. Like multi billion dollar companies making major decisions over fraternity drama and blow jobs from school. Pretty crazy. 

None of it ended up being true though. She was never at school with Ishbia and didn't know him. Casa ended up publicly apologizing. I forget what happened with the lawsuit did it get settled?

52 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

None of it ended up being true though. She was never at school with Ishbia and didn't know him. Casa ended up publicly apologizing. I forget what happened with the lawsuit did it get settled?

Don’t know. Didn’t even hear that- that’s an interesting turn. Really weird deal sounds even weirder. 

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Just to confirm, the allegation was totally false, unless Ishiba is a pedofile. I don't see any results for the case yet, it was filed in July 2020. 

"Casa has been a respected, hard-driving advocate for mortgage brokers. The Niemiecs do not personally know Casa, and the allegation of collegiate oral sex with Ishbia makes no sense since Theresa Niemiec was 11 years old at the time the act supposedly took place. So where did this all come from — and why has AIME not called for Casa’s resignation if, as Ishbia said, it about the broader broker community?"

https://morningconsult.com/opinions/is-this-any-way-to-do-business-a-case-of-misogyny-and-bullying-in-the-mortgage-industry/

12 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

If you aren't allowed to double team then you aren't going to stop Steph/KD one on one. And if you do try to double them then you're leaving their shooters open. And also if you are allowed to double team, then like i said, the Warriors are going to leave players like Rodman wide open and just double onto Jordan and Scottie, essentially making it 4on5. Also that Warriors team was a great defensive team as well. If they get running and gunning you have no chance. I think it would get out of hand quickly the moment either Jordan or Scottie has to take a blow.

Scottie would beat that twig KD into a shell of himself.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Lakers stopped caring after Bron did his thing.  AD got outplayed by both rookie Jalen Williams'.  Roster is such trash.

OKC has some really nice pieces.

If Giddey can continue to improve his 3 ball, they can be really really good in a couple years.  Houston fans probably would rather not revisit that whole Jalen Green vs Josh Giddey debate from earlier in the season.

And Jalen Williams is a player.  I wanted him to fall to Cleveland (but it turns out he would have been traded anyway so it didn’t matter).  I was all-in on him and Tari Eason before the draft and both those guys are looking like future stars.

38 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Scottie would beat that twig KD into a shell of himself.  

Reggie Miller dropped 44 on his head once so i mean im pretty sure one of the great scorers ever would be able to get his. You guys know there's highlights of this stuff right? Why do yall talk about these dudes as if they are some mythical creatures?

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

Reggie Miller dropped 44 on his head once so i mean im pretty sure one of the great scorers ever would be able to get his. You guys know there's highlights of this stuff right? Why do yall talk about these dudes as if they are some mythical creatures?

I read somewhere that if there was ever a 1 on 1 tournament of all time players, KD would probably win over MJ.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

Because they didn’t play in an era where breathing on a guy got you freebies.   Steph and KD wouldn’t last a season in the old NBA without getting hurt.  They’d have got theirs, but they’d have been hurt all the time.  

trying to say there wouldn’t be an answer for Draymond and forgetting about Rodman is almost as ignorant as thinking KD would just go Willy nilly on Pippen.   Rodman would literally beat the shit out of Draymond, and make him like it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Because they didn’t play in an era where breathing on a guy got you freebies.   Steph and KD wouldn’t last a season in the old NBA without getting hurt.  They’d have got theirs, but they’d have been hurt all the time.  

trying to say there wouldn’t be an answer for Draymond and forgetting about Rodman is almost as ignorant as thinking KD would just go Willy nilly on Pippen.   Rodman would literally beat the shit out of Draymond, and make him like it.  

Stop it. You weren't allowed to touch Jordan. He got plenty of soft calls too. The myth and legend has overtaken objectivity for people like you.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

I enjoy watching SGA. I just don't think OKC is great for him 

Are you referring to the city itself, the team/culture? They are gonna be a handful in a couple of years. Interesting fact, OKC has been a double digit underdog 6 times this year, and they have covered every time, winning 4 of those outright. They have wins against Boston, Cleveland, Memphis, Denver, Philly. Thats 5 out of the top 6 teams this year. They can play with anyone now, but are young as shit (23 yrs old average age).

I'm still skeptical about Holmgren, but even if he doesn't pan out they still have a shit ton of picks to construct a roster through the drafts and trades. Part of me wants to see Durant finish it all up with a series there, but then I realize it would give the people of Oklahoma something to feel good about other than meth and their sisters fat ass, so 

Fuck All That GIFs | Tenor

Stop it. You weren't allowed to touch Jordan. He got plenty of soft calls too. The myth and legend has overtaken objectivity for people like you.
Absolutely. It gets old to see how much Jordan gets propped up after the fact. No one is denying he's one of the best but it's so much mythology added to it these days, a lot of it by people who didn't even really grow up in that era.

You hit the nail on the head. Up until Jordan got the rules changed for him, he got abused by a ragdoll, especially by Detroit. I feel they changed the rules because they needed a star to promote and he was the one. Just as so many think Brady had his own rules.

Lebron at age 38 in his 20th year is still being asked to lead a team to the Finals and being judged on that metric.

9 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

They stopped the whole game to do like a presentation? The fuck? 😂

They stopped the game for Steph just last yr.   This is the biggest record the league has with its biggest star.  Of course they were going to stop the game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Blotto said:

I don't see a lot of them, but this okc squad is fun to watch

Fun to watch but awful to look at. They have the biggest collection of carnie looking people in the league. I don't know if they looked like that before they got to OKC or if that's just what OK does to you.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Here's the thing about MJ that will make him forever untouchable in my mind -- he would just straight up take over completely on both sides of the court and you just knew it was over. Bron is great and probably the better basketball player, but if I need one bucket to win a game I'm subbing him out for MJ 100% of the time. Bron's greatness over time is rivalled only by Kareem, so he definitely tops MJ there.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Fun to watch but awful to look at. They have the biggest collection of carnie looking people in the league. I don't know if they looked like that before they got to OKC or if that's just what OK does to you.

yeah man, both the jaylen's look like the wig mekhi phifer wore in 8 mile.    The light skinned Jaylen is especially peculiar looking as well.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

OKC has some really nice pieces.

If Giddey can continue to improve his 3 ball, they can be really really good in a couple years.  Houston fans probably would rather not revisit that whole Jalen Green vs Josh Giddey debate from earlier in the season.

And Jalen Williams is a player.  I wanted him to fall to Cleveland (but it turns out he would have been traded anyway so it didn’t matter).  I was all-in on him and Tari Eason before the draft and both those guys are looking like future stars.

It's interesting how they're building the team out.  Presti was always obsessed with position less basketball on defense but would end up with guys who had no offensive skills to speak of.  He's doing the same thing now but all of these guys can score.  (Maybe that's just a by product of everyone being able to shoot now.) With Chet next season and whoever else they get, they can have a 5 man lineup where everyone can easily play any position and shoot from anywhere and Giddey is an elite level passer.  Also, a roster with a lot of wingspan on defense.  

The '24 draft will be interesting for them because they have a lot of picks that should be good but they numerically can't use all of them.  Do they package them together this year or next?  Who knows.

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I watched Emmitt Smith break the rushing record live on TV and they stopped the game for a ceremony. It makes more sense to me to take a minute or two for a standing ovation then a ceremony after the game, but this seems to be the norm.

Aaron's 715. 

Any goat discussion that considers LeBron "bECuz PoiNts anD lonGevIty" but doesn't take into account his bitchassness and quitting on the court is a joke.

I grew up watching Jordan et al. and I don't recall a single time seeing or thinking or even vaguely considering that Jordan wasn't 100% determined to win from tip-off to whistle.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Any goat discussion that considers LeBron "bECuz PoiNts anD lonGevIty" but doesn't take into account his bitchassness and quitting on the court is a joke.

I grew up watching Jordan et al. and I don't recall a single time seeing or thinking or even vaguely considering that Jordan wasn't 100% determined to win from tip-off to whistle.

Jordan's team would have been afraid to lose the game where he set the scoring record.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was at a football game where Barry Sanders went over 2k yards and it's been a minute but if I recall correctly he went over on like a two yard run, they stopped the game and gave him the ball, the crowd have a standing O etc. Then they started the game again and he lost 4 yards on the next play. No one was sure what to do. Then a couple of plays later he broke a 60 yarder. Also the game where Reggie Brown almost died on the field. Weird game to witness.

Last night they told us about 20x they were going to stop the game unless it was within 3 and under a minute so not sure why anyone was surprised. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I watched Emmitt Smith break the rushing record live on TV and they stopped the game for a ceremony. It makes more sense to me to take a minute or two for a standing ovation then a ceremony after the game, but this seems to be the norm.

I was at the game when Emmitt broke the record and they 100% stopped the game for about 7-10 minutes.   He was able to hug his and Walter’s family that were there, Jerruh, Playmaker, and Moose who had come down from the broadcast booth to the sideline.   It was pretty incredible to watch with the energy.   

7 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Real good gotcha moment there!!!!  A Hall of Famer and one of the best players of his generations got over on another Hall of Famer and one of the best players of the same generation!! E-fucking-gads

I guess Dirk is a superior player to Lebron and D-Wade since he gaped their asses in the finals in '11.  

1 fucking data point.  1  

Nice try  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

No one is denying he's one of the best but it's so much mythology added to it these days, a lot of it by people who didn't even really grow up in that era.

I was grown up before both eras and have enjoyed watching the differing styles of each. Arguments can be made either way, particularly if we're talking one era's rules vs. another. But the highly driven top athlete of a bygone era would likely still be the same highly driven top athlete in the current era. The science has improved, but the rats are still the same.

But even with all of that, put the two teams on the court at Rucker and I'll take the Bulls 95/100 times.

• Like 2

I think there are arguments and points to be made that Jordan was better. He was the benchmark for a lot of players today. What we see currently is players wanting to emulate that style. But if your argument consists of "Jordan just wanted it more, had a killer instinct", shit like that, it's just asinine. That's Skip Bayless arguments right there. Nobody is trying to hear that.

Edited by Pam Cummings

2 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

MJ famously refused to shoot for a playoff game to prove a point to his coach

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I was at a football game where Barry Sanders went over 2k yards and it's been a minute but if I recall correctly he went over on like a two yard run, they stopped the game and gave him the ball, the crowd have a standing O etc. Then they started the game again and he lost 4 yards on the next play. No one was sure what to do. Then a couple of plays later he broke a 60 yarder. Also the game where Reggie Brown almost died on the field. Weird game to witness.

Last night they told us about 20x they were going to stop the game unless it was within 3 and under a minute so not sure why anyone was surprised. 

Yeah I was at that gm too.   They gave him the game ball and then he lost yds on the next play.   When he broke the long run on the next play the Dome went absolutely nuts!!!!

LeBron is the better talent but better all around player?  Does what's between your ears make no difference?  And I'm not a LeBron hater like many Jordan fans.  I just think overall when shit is hitting the fan, you go with Jordan, if nothing else, but for what he had going mentally.  He's a crazy person who channeled that shit pretty well on the court...and all of him was pretty awful when off the court. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1