Celebrity Death Pool -- 2023

Aqua Buddha

Saw an interview with Springer once.  He knew he was catering to the lowest common denominators of society.  He talked about one time how someone had a medical emergency during a taping.  He said he thought for a moment about asking "Is there a doctor in the house...?"  and he immediately corrected his inner dialogue with "What the hell are you thinking?"

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Did I read somewhere that they thought Jamie Foxx had suffered a stroke?

The family has not said what caused his illness/medical episode…but it’s certainly worrisome that today they are asking for prayers. About 10 days ago the reports from the family said he was steadily improving. They started filming the show he hosts today with someone else. Anyway reports coming out today said family asking everyone for their prayers. ❤️❤️🙏🏼

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Did I read somewhere that they thought Jamie Foxx had suffered a stroke?

All the major entertainment tabloids are just saying "medical emergency" or similar generic verbiage, but there are a ton of smaller site's I've never heard of that are saying stroke: 

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/666983-jamie-foxx-stroke-additional-details

https://www.latestly.com/socially/entertainment/hollywood/jamie-foxx-suffers-stroke-on-sets-and-had-to-be-revived-hes-lucky-to-be-alive-say-doctors-reports-5086356.html 

https://www.dmarge.com/jamie-foxx-lucky-to-be-alive-after-stroke-on-set

On 5/3/2023 at 8:54 PM, Deej said:

Rest in peace, Rosie. God only knows how many grape Nehis you served.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/msh-star-eileen-saki-dies-79-rcna82594

Following that link: I saw that Tori Bowie died at the age of 32. I was thinking "What would cause a 32 year old athlete to die - car wreck, shooting, suicide, drug overdose, steroids?" Nothing in the article. So after searching I found - Tori Bowie was found dead in her home after the cops were asked to do a wellness check on her. They further added that there were no suspicions of foul play. So apparent suicide. I don't know why that is hidden these days. It doesn't keep people from trying to figure it out.

Following that link: I saw that Tori Bowie died at the age of 32. I was thinking "What would cause a 32 year old athlete to die - car wreck, shooting, suicide, drug overdose, steroids?" Nothing in the article. So after searching I found - Tori Bowie was found dead in her home after the cops were asked to do a wellness check on her. They further added that there were no suspicions of foul play. So apparent suicide. I don't know why that is hidden these days. It doesn't keep people from trying to figure it out.

The usual suspects are pointing to it as “the COVID jab killed her!”, as they do with literally EVERY SINGLE DEATH that is not caused by obvious trauma like a car wreck. It’s pathetic.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The usual suspects are pointing to it as “the COVID jab killed her!”, as they do with literally EVERY SINGLE DEATH that is not caused by obvious trauma like a car wreck. It’s pathetic.

I think she was several months pregnant…or at least that was what a few articles said. No one really knows. Honestly, we will never know the full effects of COVID and/or the vaccine. That’s the truth. It shouldn’t be political. We will likely never know how Covid will impact us later on (those who got it—like me) and those who also got vaccinated (also —like me as soon as it was available) to say we will know that is also bullshit. Acting like we KNOW is what is bullshit. Jmo. I’m not getting any other shots or boosters or Paxlovid or any of that. It’s no longer a health crisis which we didn’t cause. Create or spread around the globe. But no one knows the long lasting impacts of getting acOVID and the vaccine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I think she was several months pregnant…or at least that was what a few articles said. No one really knows. Honestly, we will never know the full effects of COVID and/or the vaccine. That’s the truth. It shouldn’t be political. We will likely never know how Covid will impact us later on (those who got it—like me) and those who also got vaccinated (also —like me as soon as it was available) to say we will know that is also bullshit. Acting like we KNOW is what is bullshit. Jmo. I’m not getting any other shots or boosters or Paxlovid or any of that. It’s no longer a health crisis which we didn’t cause. Create or spread around the globe. But no one knows the long lasting impacts of getting acOVID and the vaccine. 

Thanks for that hot take.
So….we can’t know if a disease will fucking kill us/shorten our life span, but we also know, with dead certainty, that we shouldn’t get vaccinated or treated for it.
Clearly, being vaccinated killed her. And everyone else who has died in the past 4 years.
Dumbasses.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Thanks for that hot take.
So….we can’t know if a disease will fucking kill us/shorten our life span, but we also know, with dead certainty, that we shouldn’t get vaccinated or treated for it.
Clearly, being vaccinated killed her. And everyone else who has died in the past 4 years.
Dumbasses.

I never said that. I said that saying YOU KNOW what killed a person is bullshit. No one knows. I got vaccinated as soon as I could. But we don’t know what the long term or short term effects are of the Covid and we don’t know what the long or short term effects are of the vaccine. I guess I am fucked either way because I had Covid and I got vaccinated. Assuming we are fucked which no one knows. 

I am not trying to be difficult or political on this. It baffles me that it has become political. 

Edited by Nicole44

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I didn't know anything about the COVID angle. Personally, I think the random speculation is more harmful than the police speculation. Just state that there were no signs of trauma and there were pills, gun, noose, drugs, whatever found at the scene and that the initial theory is apparent suicide. I know some families don't want it out in public but quite frankly it is something that always eventually is made public when there are celebrity deaths. I've never seen a modern celebrity death without accompanying info. on the cause of death.

• Like 1

I never said that. I said that saying YOU KNOW what killed a person is bullshit. No one knows. I got vaccinated as soon as I could. But we don’t know what the long term or short term effects are of the Covid and we don’t know what the long or short term effects are of the vaccine. I guess I am fucked either way because I had Covid and I got vaccinated. Assuming we are fucked which no one knows. 

I am not trying to be difficult or political on this. It baffles me that it has become political. 

You are correct that I don’t know.

You are likely utterly incorrect that no one knows/will know as to this death. Like almost all deaths (including most all of the deaths jumped on by the antivax crowd), there will be a cause of death released. And it won’t be the vaccine.

That’s the fucking problem, and you’re a part of it. Stop.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I didn't know anything about the COVID angle. Personally, I think the random speculation is more harmful than the police speculation. Just state that there were no signs of trauma and there were pills, gun, noose, drugs, whatever found at the scene and that the initial theory is apparent suicide. I know some families don't want it out in public but quite frankly it is something that always eventually is made public when there are celebrity deaths. I've never seen a modern celebrity death without accompanying info. on the cause of death.

I have someone I can ask (and who knows this athlete) but I thought it was perhaps related to her potentially being several months pregnant. But that is just rumors and speculation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You are correct that I don’t know.

You are likely utterly incorrect that no one knows/will know as to this death. Like almost all deaths (including most all of the deaths jumped on by the antivax crowd), there will be a cause of death released. And it won’t be the vaccine.

That’s the fucking problem, and you’re a part of it. Stop.

You are treating me as though I am an anti-vaxxer and I am not. Part of the problem is people INSISTING that they know things. I am sure her cause of death will be figured out. I have no doubt. It was speculation that it could be vaccination which I reacted to which at this point no one knows…

acting as though there won’t be long term effects of either is bullshit. I wore my mask everywhere and avoided doing things in public for nearly six months. I got the vaccine as soon as it was available. I do not understand why you do not understand what I am saying. 

If you think you know what the long term and short term effects of both the COvid and the vaccine are might be I am here for your explanation. Acting as though either don’t have side effects is as dumb as asking the world to stop over and over. We don’t have enough data on this. We likely never will know (those of us who got Covid what will happen down the line) and the vast majority of us lost family and jobs and all kinds of shit for a year bc of trying to save people. You are just as much a part of the fucking problem as you believe I am. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Damn.   That run to the Elite 8 in 1990 was something else.  He transferred to McCullough (former The Woodlands HS) when I was an 8th grader and was amazing.  Terry Holland brought Olden Polynice with him on a recruiting trip to see Blanks play.   The coaches knew it was happening and they told the junior high coaches so all of us showed up early to see Olden.   It was very cool.   1990 NCAA tournament was my freshman year at Texas ans when we beat Xavier to get to Arkansas I thought we had a chance to move on.   The Hogs beat us by 3 to end the run.   I still hate Nolan Richardson.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

That is a shame? Not really. I think they deep frozen cardboard and try to convince people eating it works. 

It works if you don't eat the frozen pizza that was sitting on top of it. 

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:40 AM, Bevo said:

She was also 8 months pregnant.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:09 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Longhorn legend that is ignored too often. I started at UT in '88 which coincided with the Runnin' Horns beginning. Very few cared about UT basketball at the time. I know this by easily getting decent tickets to a game by walking over to the Erwin Center for Saturday games.

However Blanks, Mays and Wright & the others quickly elevated attention and wins.  Blanks and Mays didn't stick in the NBA for long as players but I remember seeing how Blanks succeeded in NBA scouting and exec mgmt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2023 at 11:45 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

A's pitching legend Vida Blue, aged 73.

Didn't really know anything about him, but I loved his name. Same with a guy who was a lineman for the Vikings, Milt Sunde.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Didn't really know anything about him, but I loved his name.

Vida Blue, Rollie Fingers, Catfish Hunter. Deadly in 1972. It was a helluva year and the start of a dynasty.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, RPM said:

Vida Blue, Rollie Fingers, Catfish Hunter. Deadly in 1972. It was a helluva year and the start of a dynasty.

It's funny - I liked all those guys. They must have been on TV a lot or I watched all of the World Series. I was very young and probably didn't even known where Oakland, CA was on a map.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

They must have been on TV a lot or I watched all of the World Series.

Both. Not sure why Oakland was on TV so much unless it was the West Coast start times, but they were on a lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I mean he was a terrible GM but that's okay. Still a great Longhorn. 

I would say that becoming an nba GM itself indicates being a success. Is the last guy on an nba bench a loser because he isn’t an all star? And there are fewer GMs than players. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would say that becoming an nba GM itself indicates being a success. Is the last guy on an nba bench a loser because he isn’t an all star? And there are fewer GMs than players. 

Yeah he could have stuck around doing other stuff. He was good enough at what he did for PHO to give him the big job. 

Hall of Fame men's basketball coach Denny Crum dies at 86

May 9, 2023, 12:55

Denny Crum, the Hall of Fame college basketball coach who led Louisville to two national championships in the 1980s, died Tuesday at the age of 86.

Crum played college basketball under John Wooden at UCLA in the late 1950s, then joined the Bruins' staff as an assistant under Wooden, helping the program to three national titles during his time there. Louisville hired the California native as its coach in 1971, and the program rose to national prominence under his watch.

Crum led the Cardinals to the Final Four six times -- winning national titles in 1980 and '86 -- and made the NCAA tournament 23 times in his 30 seasons. He oversaw Louisville's move from the Missouri Valley Conference to the Metro Conference to Conference USA, and his teams won 15 regular-season conference championships across the two different leagues.

In 1993, Crum became the second fastest coach to win 500 games. Nicknamed "Cool Hand Luke" for his calm demeanor, he had a 675-295 mark at Louisville before retiring in 2001.

"They don't make them like Coach any more. Coach Crum was the type of coach that everybody gravitated to," former Louisville star Darrell Griffith told WDRB in 2022. "He was just so personable. ... He opened up this program to the city. Everybody was welcome. People feel that."

Crum was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1994. Some 25 years later, he was one of six coaches to be honored with a commemorative bench around a statue of Dr. James Naismith outside the Springfield, Massachusetts-based hall. Naismith officials said the recognition was for a group that exemplified the values of the hall's namesake: teamwork, determination, self-respect, leadership, initiative and perseverance.

Upon retirement, Crum started the "Denny Crum Scholarship Fund," which awards scholarships to Louisville for students who show a "commitment to leadership and community service, academic achievement and volunteer involvement." Louisville's home court at the KFC Yum! Center is named after him.

Crum was hospitalized in 2017 after doctors said he suffered a mild stroke while fishing in Alaska. Two years later, he again was hospitalized after another stroke.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

Didn't really know anything about him, but I loved his name. Same with a guy who was a lineman for the Vikings, Milt Sunde.

When he pitched for the Royals in the 80's they also had Bud Black.   Fleer made a baseball card with them....   Black and Blue.  I think I might even still have that one.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

When he pitched for the Royals in the 80's they also had Bud Black.   Fleer made a baseball card with them....   Black and Blue.  I think I might even still have that one.

I had bad luck with memorabilia. I rode my bike when I was 5-6 to the Astrodome hotel before the superbowl between the Vikings and Dolphins and had both teams' players sign a Dolphins pennant. It had almost everybody's signature. I also had tons of baseball, basketball and football cards and even motorcycle cards. When my parents sold their house, they gave everything from the kids' rooms to goodwill. Someone cleaned up and made some pretty significant cash.

• Rage+1 3

My mother scored tickets through her work for Game 1  Reds v A's of '72 WS, so her and dad had made plans to go but being the brat I was, I didn't want my sister driving me to my Gray-Y football game and pitched a hissy fit so dad ended up taking me and mom and sis went to the game.  Vida Blue pitched in that game IIRC. He never held it against me but I still to this day kick myself of depriving him of that experience.  

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Hall of Fame men's basketball coach Denny Crum dies at 86

May 9, 2023, 12:55

Denny Crum, the Hall of Fame college basketball coach who led Louisville to two national championships in the 1980s, died Tuesday at the age of 86.

Crum played college basketball under John Wooden at UCLA in the late 1950s, then joined the Bruins' staff as an assistant under Wooden, helping the program to three national titles during his time there. Louisville hired the California native as its coach in 1971, and the program rose to national prominence under his watch.

Crum led the Cardinals to the Final Four six times -- winning national titles in 1980 and '86 -- and made the NCAA tournament 23 times in his 30 seasons. He oversaw Louisville's move from the Missouri Valley Conference to the Metro Conference to Conference USA, and his teams won 15 regular-season conference championships across the two different leagues.

In 1993, Crum became the second fastest coach to win 500 games. Nicknamed "Cool Hand Luke" for his calm demeanor, he had a 675-295 mark at Louisville before retiring in 2001.

"They don't make them like Coach any more. Coach Crum was the type of coach that everybody gravitated to," former Louisville star Darrell Griffith told WDRB in 2022. "He was just so personable. ... He opened up this program to the city. Everybody was welcome. People feel that."

Crum was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1994. Some 25 years later, he was one of six coaches to be honored with a commemorative bench around a statue of Dr. James Naismith outside the Springfield, Massachusetts-based hall. Naismith officials said the recognition was for a group that exemplified the values of the hall's namesake: teamwork, determination, self-respect, leadership, initiative and perseverance.

Upon retirement, Crum started the "Denny Crum Scholarship Fund," which awards scholarships to Louisville for students who show a "commitment to leadership and community service, academic achievement and volunteer involvement." Louisville's home court at the KFC Yum! Center is named after him.

Crum was hospitalized in 2017 after doctors said he suffered a mild stroke while fishing in Alaska. Two years later, he again was hospitalized after another stroke.

Posted in another thread/forum, very underappreciated Coach. His teams played an exciting style and the '83 NSF game with Houston is one of the more exciting non championship games played.