Celebrity Death Pool -- 2023

Aqua Buddha

29 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Posted in another thread/forum, very underappreciated Coach. His teams played an exciting style and the '83 NSF game with Houston is one of the more exciting non championship games played. 

He wasn't a great pro, but Darrell Griffith was fun to watch in college. I was also a big fan of Milt Wagner, Scooter McCray, and Rodney McCray. I followed them a lot because I had a lot of ties to the school. I knew most of the Houston Cougars because I went to Fonde some with Reid Gettys. So, I couldn't lose when they played each other.

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

When he pitched for the Royals in the 80's they also had Bud Black.   Fleer made a baseball card with them....   Black and Blue.  I think I might even still have that one.

When Bud Black pitched for the Giants, one of his catchers at the time was Steve Decker. The battery of Black & Decker was quite hilarious to many a baseball announcer. I was over it the second or third time I heard it. /csb

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Bevo said:

Didn't really know anything about him, but I loved his name. Same with a guy who was a lineman for the Vikings, Milt Sunde.

Back in the day, the name is what caught my attention.  Then I saw him pitch and holy crap I was on board. Those A's teams from the 70s were cooler than cool.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RPM said:

Vida Blue, Rollie Fingers, Catfish Hunter. Deadly in 1972. It was a helluva year and the start of a dynasty.

15 hours ago, Bevo said:

It's funny - I liked all those guys. They must have been on TV a lot or I watched all of the World Series. I was very young and probably didn't even known where Oakland, CA was on a map.

55 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Back in the day, the name is what caught my attention.  Then I saw him pitch and holy crap I was on board. Those A's teams from the 70s were cooler than cool.

13533304_1037908736258094_32853853405571

1974: Oakland A's Owner Charlie Finley poses with the core of his 3-time World Championship club: RP Rollie Fingers, LF Joe Rudi, P Vida Blue, RF Reggie Jackson, C-1B Gene Tenace, 3B Sal Bando, P Catfish Hunter, SS Bert Campaneris

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

13533304_1037908736258094_32853853405571

1974: Oakland A's Owner Charlie Finley poses with the core of his 3-time World Championship club: RP Rollie Fingers, LF Joe Rudi, P Vida Blue, RF Reggie Jackson, C-1B Gene Tenace, 3B Sal Bando, P Catfish Hunter, SS Bert Campaneris

The batboy on that team was MC Hammer.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

The batboy on that team was MC Hammer.

Oh My God Omg GIF

In the Oakland Coliseum parking lot the young Burrell would sell stray baseballs and dance accompanied by a beatboxer. Oakland Athletics team owner Charlie Finley saw the 11-year-old doing splits and hired him as a clubhouse assistant and batboy as a result of his energy and flair.[6][39] Burrell served as a "batboy" with the team from 1973 to 1980. In 2010, Hammer discussed his lifelong involvement with athletes on ESPN's First Take as well as explained that his brother Louis Burrell Jr. (who would later become Hammer's business manager)[40][41] was actually the batboy while his job was to take calls and do "play-by-plays" for the A's absentee owner during every summer game.[42] The colorful Finley, who lived in Chicago,[6] used the child as his "eyes and ears".[43] 

Reggie Jackson, in describing Burrell's role for Finley, took credit for his nickname:

Hell, our chief executive, the guy that ran our team, uh, that communicated [with] Charlie Finley, the top man there, was a 13-year old kid. I nicknamed him "Hammer" because he looked like Hank Aaron [whose nickname was "The Hammer"].[43]

Team players, including Milwaukee Brewers second baseman Pedro García, also dubbed Burrell "Little Hammer" due to his resemblance to Aaron.[6][38]Ron Bergman, at the time an Oakland Tribune writer who covered the A's, recalled that: He was an informant in the clubhouse, an informant for Charlie, and he got the nickname "Pipeline".[43]

According to Hammer: Charlie said, "I'm getting you a new hat. I don't want you to have a hat that says "A's" on it. I'm getting you a hat that says 'Ex VP,' that says 'Executive Vice President.' You're running the joint around here." ... Every time I come down to the clubhouse, you know, Rollie would yell out "Oh, everybody be quiet! Here comes Pipeline!"[43]

He acquired the nickname "M.C." for being a "master of ceremonies" which he used when he began performing at various clubs while on the road with the A's, and eventually in the military.[6] Hammer, who played second base in high school, dreamed of being a professional baseball player but did not make the final cut at a San Francisco Giants tryout.[6] However, he has been a participant/player in the annual Taco Bell All-Star Legends and Celebrity Softball Game wearing an A's cap to represent Oakland (American League).[44][45][46]

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

dang, this one will hurt when it happens.

Dolph Lundgren not quite dead yet, but admitted hes been given a terminal diagnosis

Dolph Lundgren, 65, perhaps best known to fans for his portrayal of Soviet-Russian boxer Ivan Drago in the Rocky film franchise, has admitted that he’s secretly been battling cancer for years.

The Swedish actor spoke candidly on his diagnosis for the first time yesterday, appearing to confirm that his condition is now terminal.

“[There was a] tumour in my kidney and they took it out in 2015 […] but then they did a biopsy and it was cancerous,” Lundgren explained on In Depth With Graham Bensinger.

Lundgren said he began to realize the grave nature of his situation when doctors found the second tumor growing in his liver in 2020, after years of clear scans.

It had initially been hoped that the tumor could be removed, as the first one had been, but the actor was told it had grown too big for surgery. Moreover, the cancer spread to his lungs, spine, liver and stomach, before Lundgren was eventually told the cancer was terminal.

“So I kinda asked him y’know ‘how long do you think I have got left?'” the 65-year-old recalled.

“I think he said two or three years but I could tell in his voice that he probably thought it was less.”

Lundgren revealed that he “felt sorry” for his loved ones more than anything else, including his fiancée Emma Krokdal, 25, and his two daughters Ida Lundgren, 26, and Greta Lundgren, 21.

hellova flex there at the end.   65 years old with a 25 year old fiance.

obligatory

rocky-drago-if-he-dies.gif

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

On 5/11/2023 at 10:59 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

“[There was a] tumour in my kidney and they took it out in 2015 […] but then they did a biopsy and it was cancerous,” Lundgren explained on In Depth With Graham Bensinger.

Lundgren said he began to realize the grave nature of his situation when doctors found the second tumor growing in his liver in 2020, after years of clear scans.

It had initially been hoped that the tumor could be removed, as the first one had been, but the actor was told it had grown too big for surgery. Moreover, the cancer spread to his lungs, spine, liver and stomach, before Lundgren was eventually told the cancer was terminal.

Clear scans, huh

On 5/9/2023 at 4:28 PM, Underdog said:

Posted in another thread/forum, very underappreciated Coach. His teams played an exciting style and the '83 NSF game with Houston is one of the more exciting non championship games played. 

The 83 semi-final game was the greatest display of pure athleticism I've ever seen in a college basketball game.  It felt like 80% of the game was played above the rim.

Benny Anders all up in your face.  This dunk was described as an in-air shark attack.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 9:39 AM, conVINCEd said:

Charlie Finley was an interesting dude.  I wasn’t alive, so it’s had for me to say if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but he certainly wasn’t boring.

I loved watching those A's teams. The matchups with the Orioles in the playoffs were always intense. I remember racing home after school to watch ALCS games in the afternoon. I'll never forget watching Bert Campaneris throw his bat at the pitcher in the ALCS after being hit by a pitch. Charlie Finley was an egomaniac of epic proportions. He couldn't or wouldn't share any credit for the team's success.  He broke up one of the best teams in the history of baseball to make a buck before Bowie Kuhn could order him to sell the team.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nothing against anyone else but Jim Brown is the all time best NFL player.  Brady is the best QB and most likely best player from the Super Bowl era but Brown was dominant at a different level.

This right here. Jim Brown was a bad mother shutyourmouth. Walked away from football because Art fucking Modell wouldn't give him time off to film The Dirty Dozen. RIP

• Like 3

The Modell Family. You have to remember they owned the Bengals, too.

Huh? Coach Paul Brown, one of the greatest coaches to ever lived, was fired by Modell and he began making plans to return to the NFL with a team either in Cincinnati or Columbus. The opportunity arose in Cincy with an AFL franchise. Paul Brown was the principal owner. He used the Brown orange as a fuck you to Modell.

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Read this at first as Ray Stevens and almost got really nostalgic and sad. 

Got even more sad that it was Ray Stevenson and not Ray Stevens.  No offense to Stevens - I have 'The Streak' still memorized to this, and love to toss out the 'Would Jesus Wear a Rolex' song to certain relatives, but I don't know that I've listened much to him outside of a few of his songs in years (and I know he's an amazing singer), but Stevenson still had a helluva career ahead of him. Ahsoka looks really good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Got even more sad that it was Ray Stevenson and not Ray Stevens.  No offense to Stevens - I have 'The Streak' still memorized to this, and love to toss out the 'Would Jesus Wear a Rolex' song to certain relatives, but I don't know that I've listened much to him outside of a few of his songs in years (and I know he's an amazing singer), but Stevenson still had a helluva career ahead of him. Ahsoka looks really good.

Man, just realized he played "Pullo"...one of my favorite characters ever.  RIP