Celebrity Death Pool -- 2023

Aqua Buddha

Tina Turner was a great talent who was able to reinvent herself after breaking from Ike.

Ike was a terrible abusive husband but he was a catalyst for rock n roll that never got his due. Rocket 88 is the first rock and roll song, recorded by Sam Philips in 1951, sold to Chess, and Ike and the band got $20 each on a hit that sold half a million copies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Tina Turner was a great talent who was able to reinvent herself after breaking from Ike.

Ike was a terrible abusive husband but he was a catalyst for rock n roll that never got his due. Rocket 88 is the first rock and roll song, recorded by Sam Philips in 1951, sold to Chess, and Ike and the band got $20 each on a hit that sold half a million copies.

Good job making 90% of your post about that piece of shit Ike. 

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Everything in this movie weirded me out, Tina included. But she played it well.

Was familiar with Proud Mary but Tommy/Acid Queen was my first real exposure to Tina.  That tune pops into my head every blue moon. 

3 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

First time I saw her was at the Homecoming concert at Wichita State in the early 70s. Black Oak Arkansas opened for them. She danced all over the stage sans panties and I was smitten. RIP Tina.

Black Oak Arkansas. wonder if Jim Dandy is still alive?

RIP Tina. Fuck Ike.

• Haha 1

I hadn’t seen that clip in decades.  The way He kinda physically sets up Carson by sort of hovering while Carson sharpens the axes.  It was beyond perfect to let it all marinade before Carson delivers the final line.  You can’t ever, ever learn that.  It’s in your bones.  RIP, Ed. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
Good job making 90% of your post about that piece of shit Ike. 

Ike was an out of control Coke addict whose controlling elements turned him into a criminally abusive monster. But he basically invented rock and roll in 51 with Sam Philips. There’s no shortage of assholes and douchebags in the music business, most of whom have there sins overlooked due to their music and money. Lots of folks who condemned Ike happily defended Michael Jackson, R Kelly, and other pieces of shit.

She made a remarkable recovery and comeback; that album in 84 is a rock masterpiece in every way. I saw her with Ike a couple times and later on her own. Her Memphis shows were always wild due to being from Nutbush, though she mostly grew up in St Louis. She’s in my lady singer Rushmore with Dinah Washington, Dolly Parton, and Karen Carpenter. I gotta squeeze Aretha in there too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Lots of folks who condemned Ike happily defended Michael Jackson, R Kelly, and other pieces of shit.

I defend Michael Jackson, but I honestly don't know the details of the events. My feeling is that he was a very weird dude. So, he was easy to extort money from because he could never win in a trial. And I guess to some extent he is guilty - even if he just sleeps in the same room or bed with a kid and doesn't do anything else, that could scar a kid for life. So, maybe I'm not really defending him but am unsure whether he physically touched kids.

22 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Ike was an out of control Coke addict whose controlling elements turned him into a criminally abusive monster. But he basically invented rock and roll in 51 with Sam Philips. There’s no shortage of assholes and douchebags in the music business, most of whom have there sins overlooked due to their music and money. Lots of folks who condemned Ike happily defended Michael Jackson, R Kelly, and other pieces of shit.

She made a remarkable recovery and comeback; that album in 84 is a rock masterpiece in every way. I saw her with Ike a couple times and later on her own. Her Memphis shows were always wild due to being from Nutbush, though she mostly grew up in St Louis. She’s in my lady singer Rushmore with Dinah Washington, Dolly Parton, and Karen Carpenter. I gotta squeeze Aretha in there too.

This is better.  Only ~50% of the post is about that piece of shit Ike Turner.

23 hours ago, Bevo said:

I defend Michael Jackson, but I honestly don't know the details of the events. My feeling is that he was a very weird dude. So, he was easy to extort money from because he could never win in a trial. And I guess to some extent he is guilty - even if he just sleeps in the same room or bed with a kid and doesn't do anything else, that could scar a kid for life. So, maybe I'm not really defending him but am unsure whether he physically touched kids.

image.png.bc775019a99cf9cb9550229b85059f35.png

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

image.png.bc775019a99cf9cb9550229b85059f35.png

I forgot about Harbaugh sleeping in the same room as a kid to get his signature. Who was the recruit? Did he end up being any good?

But, yeah, I've got to say that defending a child molester is a bold strategy, Cotton. It seems pretty much impossible. And no good can come from it.