2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

That hail in CP last night was no joke. It was one thing to hear it on the roof, but it was coming sideways and hitting windows on the north, west and east side of the house. Sounded like like mini rifle reports. Hail even ended up near the patio door after ricochetting off the patio beneath the 16' x 36' patio cover.

Seeing some stripped leaves this morning just looking out the windows. Wondering if a new roof is in the cards.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They were using the Apple weather app that replaced Dark Sky.

Man, the usually reliable Storm Prediction Center has been  . . .  somewhat erratic.

Dallas has been in moderate or enhanced most days this week, although with lower chances of storms.  Some days nothing, some days something, but not much.  

Crazy.

21 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Pop up hail storm in Hewitt.  Lot of T and L, wind and some rain.

We got right into the crux of that one trying to get to I35 to head to Dallas (via Chik-Fil-A for the kids).  Sat in the drive through for 35 minutes getting pelted with hail, sideways Hurricane rain and winds, and lightning hitting all around us.   Not fun.  

18 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

We got right into the crux of that one trying to get to I35 to head to Dallas (via Chik-Fil-A for the kids).  Sat in the drive through for 35 minutes getting pelted with hail, sideways Hurricane rain and winds, and lightning hitting all around us.   Not fun.  

Gonna need PDR?

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

We were meeting some friends at the George's in Hewitt and got into a big argument about dropping the wife off at the front as lightning that was in front of the storm was popping like crazy. 

Apparently my tone is horrible for suggesting she can't run in sandals and that me wanting her to avoid getting struck by lightning is ridiculous if it isn't raining yet.

Of course she was proven right when she didn't die, but there's always hope for next time.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Haha 3

TEXAS (KXAN) — A six-year-old Texas boy died last week after he and his father were struck by lightning in May, according to reporting from The Dallas Morning News.

The father went to pick up his two sons after they were dropped off by a school bus on May 15 in Bosque County, located northwest of Waco. The six-year-old boy was holding hands with his father when the dad was struck by lightning and the current passed through both him and his son.

The father was pronounced dead following the lightning strike. After a monthlong stay in the hospital, the son died on Friday.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

The last 3 evenings in NB we've had overcast with those mammatus clouds that usually indicate hail. But each time there's a storm around the FBG area that's just sitting there not moving. At sundown the storms peter out on radar and the clouds go away. Fucking cocktease. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

The last 3 evenings in NB we've had overcast with those mammatus clouds that usually indicate hail. But each time there's a storm around the FBG area that's just sitting there not moving. At sundown the storms peter out on radar and the clouds go away. Fucking cocktease. 

I thought I was seeing things with the mammatus clouds. Those things were at least 50 miles from the storm. Very strange. 

well whatever you do, don't send 'em that first photo where it literally looks like a horned monster is emerging from the embers of their burnt homestead. 

What in the fuck is going this month in weather & climate?  I honestly don't know, I got a C- in Troy Kimmel's class.  

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

well whatever you do, don't send 'em that first photo where it literally looks like a horned monster is emerging from the embers of their burnt homestead. 

What in the fuck is going this month in weather & climate?  I honestly don't know, I got a C- in Troy Kimmel's class.  

Yeah. Nobody saw this type of weather coming.

3 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Yeah. Nobody saw this type of weather coming.

I mean I know this shit happens in early summer.  But the last few incidents just seem angry, we got a way too early hurricane forming in the Caribbean, Troph's neighbor's homes are exploding, and OUR PETS ARE FALLING OFF!  

I was on a client call and it was so effing loud and I said wow that’s scary. Later I find out from my wife and son who showed up first and called 911 that that scary sound was lightening around the corner incinerating a house.