2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

49 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

My dad sent me this interactive map this AM.  People from all over the country can update their precip amounts so you can zoom in to see what everyone got.

https://maps.cocorahs.org/

that's pretty cool. Shows South Austin and West Austin (well West of Mopac) got pretty much nothing last night.

Edited by yoladu
  • Rage+1 1

Seeing pics of damage this morning, looks like the east side of Round Rock caught a break with only golf ball sized hail. My trucks windshield got cracked but nothing like some pictures of cars that looked like they got hit by cluster munitions.

Still though, all my vehicles are going to need a fuckload of PDR

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

An acquaintance who lives in the Cat Hollow neighborhood of Brushy Creek (78681)  said the two skylights on their house were broken along with the windows on one side. 
They left and stayed in a hotel overnight.

we have friends in Cat Hollow and they got hammered last night by this storm. 

Someone in The Oaklands had both cars totaled from hail damage. 

Round Rock posted pictures of the damage to several city vehicles including from the fire department and police:

image.thumb.png.c2f00847330ab35e229b9c8d8f9c5be6.png

image.thumb.png.7d2a10be1ab824421a4dd2a5670810f8.png

Edited by The Dog

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

we have friends in Cat Hollow and they got hammered last night by this storm. 

Someone in The Oaklands had both cars totaled from hail damage. 

Round Rock posted pictures of the damage to several city vehicles including from the fire department and police:

image.thumb.png.c2f00847330ab35e229b9c8d8f9c5be6.png

image.thumb.png.7d2a10be1ab824421a4dd2a5670810f8.png

Looks like my bronco after the 1995 Mayfest storm in Fort Worth.

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

that's pretty cool. Shows South Austin and West Austin (well West of Mopac) got pretty much nothing last night.

I don't get that map. We got 0.5 inches at our house by Love Field while we were in Oak Cliff for a concert last night and then another 0.5 inches starting around 12:30-1 this AM.

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I have a brand new metal roof (less than 2 months old), as does my neighbor.  He emailed a couple of pics this morning showing some dents from the hail, asking if he should have it repaired.  Now, am I crazy, or isn't that the point of a fucking metal roof?  

He doesn't love the sound of the hail on a tin roof on a hot September night?

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I have a brand new metal roof (less than 2 months old), as does my neighbor.  He emailed a couple of pics this morning showing some dents from the hail, asking if he should have it repaired.  Now, am I crazy, or isn't that the point of a fucking metal roof?  

Technically, yes. But there's a point where you can argue that it's structurally compromised if the damage is that bad. Also, many homeowners policies exclude cosmetic damage when it comes to hail damage to a metal roof. Up to the roofer and adjustor to determine what's "cosmetic" and what's actually damage.

I'm sure my neighbors were laughing as I ran outside in the golf ball sized hail wearing a bicycle helmet to throw some old rugs over my car. 
Who's laughing now?

Guy across the street came out half naked during the heavy stuff, grabbed a couch cushion and made it 5 feet before saying fuck it and going back inside.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Got a new roof this summer via insurance claim on hail from the spring. Went with an impact resistant shingle that's supposed to hold up to hail that's up to 2".

Who knows if it's legit or just marketing, but to my untrained eye, it looks good. We had dime/nickel sized hail with some pieces that were slightly larger. I don't see any damage.

19 hours ago, Hate said:

The people who can park their cars in their garage?

Wife and I stepped outside to watch it come down and she made a comment about how it's nice not to have to worry about the cars because they are in the garage.

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

New roof for me. Going to delay my ability to sell the home now, on top of the deductible coming out of pocket. 

How large is your deductible?  Unless it's huge, you should be able to work with your roofer to avoid anything out of pocket.

(Note: I am not a lawyer and the above does not constitute legal advice)