the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

This is really fun.  And the best part is, I don't see it ending anytime soon.

I actually think we're going to have a shutdown over the GQP's inability to act as a governing majority.  And that shutdown is probably going to last a while.  We could have Social Security recipients not getting their checks over the holidays.

And what's really funny is that these fuckers are in such an echo chamber that they don't even realize the damage that is being done to their party.  I mean, it's probably all fine right now.  But if this lasts long enough that people start missing Social Security checks when the credit card comes due after Black Friday, then look the fuck out.

Social Security checks still go out during government shutdowns.

However, the military not being paid would present a rather large PR crisis.

Edited by softlynow
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

This is really fun.  And the best part is, I don't see it ending anytime soon.

I actually think we're going to have a shutdown over the GQP's inability to act as a governing majority.  And that shutdown is probably going to last a while.  We could have Social Security recipients not getting their checks over the holidays.

And what's really funny is that these fuckers are in such an echo chamber that they don't even realize the damage that is being done to their party.  I mean, it's probably all fine right now.  But if this lasts long enough that people start missing Social Security checks when the credit card comes due after Black Friday, then look the fuck out.

While all that would be fun, they'll still just blame the democrats. Not sure if you've been paying attention, but this is all the fault of the Democrats. So will be them shutting down government to those voters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Dare we say it….he might lose The Villages!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

While all that would be fun, they'll still just blame the democrats. Not sure if you've been paying attention, but this is all the fault of the Democrats. So will be them shutting down government to those voters. 

The situation is that we're on the knife edge of relying on the electorate to correctly assign blame and the guy who dressed up as Pedo Bear at a Penn State game is having fun. We're all going to die. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

"This never would have happened if Trump were President."

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, yeah, the core lunatics will always blame the Democrats because that's what they're told, but at least this time around it looks like more of the middle group/undecideds isn't buying that line of bullshit, which is all that really matters in the coming election.  The Republicans seems to even be doing a great job of alienating some of their "moderates."  Maybe not to the point that they vote Democrat, but maybe they just don't vote in say, the presidential race during the general election. 

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

That just means that some stripper he actually married is now the third largest landowner in the state of Colorado.   Say that reminds me... I bought a house in Colorado yesterday.  Have I mentioned that I'm moving to Colorado?

No, why don't you tell us again?  Ass.

28 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Social Security checks still go out during government shutdowns.

However, the military not being paid would present a rather large PR crisis.

You're right.  My bad.

But WIC and SNAP would be cut, and there are plenty of Republican voters that avail themselves of those programs who would be impacted.  And, as you point out, federal workers, including the military, would not get paid.  So yeah--it'd be a fucking shitshow.

22 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

The situation is that we're on the knife edge of relying on the electorate to correctly assign blame and the guy who dressed up as Pedo Bear at a Penn State game is having fun. We're all going to die. 

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Emmer seems like the most sensible option you're going to get out of this Republican shitshow, why not give him the Dems votes and get this shit over with?  I know it's fun to watch from the sidelines, but is there any real gain to having this stalemate continue?  What's the benefit of keeping this going?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dutchrudder said:

Emmer seems like the most sensible option you're going to get out of this Republican shitshow, why not give him the Dems votes and get this shit over with?  I know it's fun to watch from the sidelines, but is there any real gain to having this stalemate continue?  What's the benefit of keeping this going?

This is where I am

He's the most tolerable and if there's only 26 hard no votes (10-12% of the conference), just do it and end this stalemate. He's sti;l supported by 90% of the conference.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is where I am

He's the most tolerable and if there's only 26 hard no votes (10-12% of the conference), just do it and end this stalemate. He's sti;l supported by 90% of the conference.

Sadly, he’s probably the best of the worst. 

Just now, Satchel said:

Sadly, he’s probably the best of the worst. 

Even if he's the best of the worst, he's still part of the worst. He may have voted to certify the election, but he's repeatedly tried to spread doubt about the legitimacy of the election, mail in votes and voter ID. 

Tom Emmer cast doubt on the 2020 election and supported lawsuit to throw election to Trump

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/23/politics/tom-emmer-2020-election-kfile/index.html

The ONLY chance the country has is to splinter the anti-democracy coalition, which they are in the middle of doing for us in full public view. 

If they aren't splintered, the GQP will shut down the country again, probably multiple times. All we can do is pick the time. Make them do it now when the facts are so clearly against them. 

They will take more shots at democracy until they kill it. Make them shoot now, before they have a chance to regroup, get on the same page and plan better. 

Do not interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake.

Let them burn their own party down around themselves. It's the only chance we have to stop them from burning the country down. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Twice now that the majority vote getter gets busted out of the race because of a vocal minority.

The GOP hates democracy so much, that they continue to demand minority rule even on the House floor.  A minority of voters elected Trump in 2016 and they somehow think 25 GOP reps will pick the next Speaker. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Twice now that the majority vote getter gets busted out of the race because of a vocal minority.

The GOP hates democracy so much, that they continue to demand minority rule even on the House floor.  A minority of voters elected Trump in 2016 and they somehow think 25 GOP reps will pick the next Speaker. 

Look forward to them getting told to fuck their own faces when they turn around and demand support for their nominee

Well he has seven children, and just a few hours after his name became the front-runner...some of them were directly threatened by name.  As a father, he took the only course available to him and withdrew his name. 

In totally unrelated news, when Matt Gaetz texted, "Send me pics of his daughters when it's done"...he apparently wasn't talking about teenage nudes.

This is fucked up even for the GOP

Are they going to keep picking a “moderate” and then a hard liner. Then repeat over and over?

19 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

5 Republicans in Biden districts just need to pull the trigger and vote for Jeffries. Throw gas on the already ranging inferno that is the GOP. 

Yes. Jeffries, or a proxy, should approach 5 to see what they want to become democrats. Give them committee chairs or perhaps a few bills that Schumer and Biden will agree to deliver. Within reason of course. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

So are we now at either expanded powers for McHenry or nothing in terms of the House of Reps functioning moving forward?  Sure looks like Trump won't stay out of this and a significant number of Republicans will switch their vote the second he takes a stance against a candidate.

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Seems like he is saying anyone but Emmer. He's too chicken shit to endorse anyone else because his endorsement doesn't guarantee a win. 

While Trump seems to be waiting until after the fact, because yeah, he endorsed Jordan, who lost bigly in the secret ballot, Trump probably thinks that a shut-down government would stop the feds going after him.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I love that the MAGA idiots are using "they're coming for our SSI" as a rallying cry.

THEIR OWN FUCKING CONFERENCE AND MULTIPLE SPEAKERS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE OPENLY SAID THEY ARE GOING TO GUT YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY.

These people rank among the dumbest to have ever walked the earth.  And yes, I'm counting pre-homo sapiens hominids.  A revived australopithecus would be facepalming at their idiocy.

I read stuff like this and I think to myself about how insanely brainwashed you have to be to believe that. Millions of these rubes littered from coast-to-coast really believe this. I almost wish Biden would just come out and say I’m handing everyone’s SSI checks that believe this to a deserving undocumented migrant instead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Republicans can go on CNN and claim it's the Democrats' fault, but they are not convincing any Dems/libs/etc. to all of the sudden blame the Democrats in Congress, and the Dems are remaining fairly quiet (which is smart). If a Republican is going on CNN or MSNBC and blaming the Dems, it's because they are worried about the upcoming 2024 elections and moderates and others who flipped from Trump to Biden in 2020.  

What we are getting is Republicans who are openly blaming one another on social media and on right-wing news platforms (such as Fox News), and they are doing so because they don't want to be caught without a chair when the music stops.

The only Republicans who actually know what they are doing is the Gym and Matt Show, who are vowing not to support any "moderate" Republican, which means the GOP is fucked unless they reach out to the Dems.  They may have shitty views, but they have decided a shutdown is what they want, and they are working to accomplish it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

And yeah--there are going to be some Fox News watchers who are going to be all "but it's the Democrats who voted to shitcan Kevin McCarthy."  Whatever.  Let me tell you something about those assholes: they're in it for Team Red.

Those people who would blame Democrats for all of this were never going to switch from Team Red anyways, so people shouldn't be worried about the Republicans blaming Democrats.  Besides, that blame is being drowned out by Republicans fighting other Republicans.

I would even argue that the fact that Republicans are openly bashing other Republicans is a sign that they realize the damage that is being done to the GOP.  They could have (painfully) dealt with this shit during the impeachments (which would have helped sideline the Gym and Matt wing of the GQP by removing Trump's influence) but they chose to be quiet and close their eyes and wish it would all go away.

Instead, it only got worse, and it's rearing its ugly head for the entire world to see and now there is a reckoning.  The rest of the GQP is now realizing that a small number of Republicans in the House are more than happy to try and shut down the entire government for various reasons, and will happily, proudly, and publicly claim credit for shutting things down.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

At what point does this GOP disunity signal that the GOP has effectively splintered into two parties that are as unable to work with each other as they are democrats?

I’d say 2024 will be the death knell for the current iteration of the Republican Party. Things are only going to get worse from here.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Those people who would blame Democrats for all of this were never going to switch from Team Red anyways, so people shouldn't be worried about the Republicans blaming Democrats.  

And the goal isn't to try to persuade them to vote for Democrats.  The goal is to discourage them from voting.

And this internecine warfare, which is deeply dispiriting for a partisan and intensely boring to anybody who's not a political dork, is exactly the kind of thing that discourages the casual Republican voter from voting.

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

At what point does this GOP disunity signal that the GOP has effectively splintered into two parties that are as unable to work with each other as they are democrats?

Ummmm, about three weeks ago.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1