the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

Strange. I can look around my office and see plenty of white males happy and succeeding. Probably half the office. I also see the myriad others that make up the other half, also happy and successful. 

I guess the issue on texags is that it isn’t 90-100% white males. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was having lunch with a buddy today, and we were both expressing how we can't understand people get so angry at admitting that they might have had an easier time becuase they are white males. It doesn't diminsh anything hard you've done, it doesn't mean you haven't worked hard, it doesn't mean you haven't earned what you've gotten, it just means you can acknowledge that you've probably been dealt a better hand than many in this world. 

Which is weird, as most people would admit that being born in America in general versus anywhere else in the world means you were born on 3rd base. And that doesn't damage anyone's egos at all, but somehow being a white male to many means your achievements have been marginalized. 

I just don't understand the anger and grievance people most generate. I wonder, how many of thsoe people would trade being a white male for anything else? Because the answer is zero, and not just because they're inherently racist.

I really wonder this too. It's just so bizarre

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

yep.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3413535/1

I'll save you having to click on that shite:

A coalition of blacks, Latinos, feminists, gays, government workers, union members, environmental extremists, the media, Hollywood, uninformed young people, the "forever needy," the chronically unemployed that do not want to work, illegal aliens, and other "fellow travelers" have ended.........Norman Rockwell's America.

You will never again out-vote these people. It will take individual acts of defiance and massive displays of civil disobedience to regain the rights we have allowed them to take away. It will take zealots, not moderates and shy, not reach-across-the-aisle RINOs (Republicans In Name Only) to right this ship and restore our beloved country to its former status.

and

This is why I have come to admire the founding fathers all the more. Subsequent politicians lifting merit based restrictions on who got to vote resulted in irreparable damage and ultimately the destruction of the American Dream.

and

OP is right we pretty much a third world country at this point better learn Spanish amigos.

and

There is no room for white males in todays society.

That's only the first half of the first page of the thread. All I could stomach.

I actually made it through page 2. There was more push back than I expected, honestly. 

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I love my black son. 

Nice to have you here, Mr. Speaker.

I was having lunch with a buddy today, and we were both expressing how we can't understand people get so angry at admitting that they might have had an easier time becuase they are white males. It doesn't diminsh anything hard you've done, it doesn't mean you haven't worked hard, it doesn't mean you haven't earned what you've gotten, it just means you can acknowledge that you've probably been dealt a better hand than many in this world. 

Which is weird, as most people would admit that being born in America in general versus anywhere else in the world means you were born on 3rd base. And that doesn't damage anyone's egos at all, but somehow being a white male to many means your achievements have been marginalized. 

I just don't understand the anger and grievance people most generate. I wonder, how many of thsoe people would trade being a white male for anything else? Because the answer is zero, and not just because they're inherently racist.

It’s in the messaging: white privilege. Two words that do not fully explain the whole concept and most people are too lazy / dumb to look past the label and understand the context. It’s right up there with critical race theory.
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I believe he goes the distance (January 2025) because Trump believes he needs him. 

Also, no one wants this job or the headache of electing another speaker. 

Agreed.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I believe he goes the distance (January 2025) because Trump believes he needs him. 

A certain pedophile from Florida might disagree.

• Hook 'Em 1

Let's see if I have this right.  The only person who could be elected Speaker of the House had to have checked the following boxes:

-Fealty to Trump.

-Not too far out front on overturning the election.

-Odious to all but Christo-fascists.

-Milquetoast.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Zonahorn said:

Originally there were property requirements to vote. Also infamously during segregation the racists loved poll taxes and tests.

Yes, I'm aware of that.   White male landowners.   My point is that "merit" in that case isn't something that can be earned by, oh, 60-80% of the population.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Let's see if I have this right.  The only person who could be elected Speaker of the House had to have checked the following boxes:

-Fealty to Trump.

-Not too far out front on overturning the election.

-Odious to all but Christo-fascists.

-Milquetoast.

Scratch off #2. 

image.png.a4b1ab5b4c920a288b83dcf3db33df7a.png

He's one of the seditious fucks MOST responsible for trying to overturn the election. The other seditious fucks approve of him, or are too stupid to look even slightly into his record. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I love my imaginary black son the same way I love my real Asian kids. They're so alike, except he’s imaginary.

I think I heard your wife is imaginary too, so he probably just takes after her in that sense.

15 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Some of GOP loonies have even floated the idea that only people with college degrees should vote.

Remember, they can't count.

God, can we please make this happen?  Just for the ultimate Gritty memes?

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Gaetz would need Trump’s approval (doubtful) and I have a hard time believing Gaetz plays the same card twice. 

I dunno, he sure seemed to like the chaos and attention he got.  Or Marge might do it because she's not getting the attention she wants.  I'm not saying it will happen, but with only 1 vote required on a MTV, it certainly could happen again.

Are you and your buddy blue collar workers whose wages haven’t kept up with inflation? Do you live in the dying slums know as rural America?

I get it. It’s hard to say you been given an advantage when you see yourself doing worse than the generation prior. When you’re doing worse than your average black man. That can be a tough reality to accept. Doesn’t make it less real. Trump sells them something easier to believe.

19 hours ago, Tuco said:

Are you and your buddy blue collar workers whose wages haven’t kept up with inflation? Do you live in the dying slums know as rural America?

I get it. It’s hard to say you been given an advantage when you see yourself doing worse than the generation prior. When you’re doing worse than your average black man. That can be a tough reality to accept. Doesn’t make it less real. Trump sells them something easier to believe.

Are they on average doing worre than the average black man? Listen, I get what trump is selling. But the people buying are a ton of white, well off, affluent and successful people who rose from the ashes of “lower middle class.” This is the point of my confusion. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don't think he goes the distance because of Trump. I think he goes the distance because I think he has enough runway to not ever be forced out.

I look at it like this - he is going to get a free pass for the November deal. So long as it's just stop gap to whatever the caucus gives him. Rumor is that the deal will be either January (very short) or April. I would guess it would be April, to let the Republicans figure out the deal they want to work for in April. So he gets that long for free.

Unless that deal is absolute crap for the MAGA crowd, and with them who knows? But given that there is only a 1/2 year left until the election, there is no way you can have another shit show like this one, so I think he's safe.

Granted, with the MAGA types, who knows? They might just say fuck it at any time and pull the cord on the guy.

I can't even say that the moderates can do anything at this point. Because even if they MTV him, the next speaker pro tempore would be Johnson's guy, so there is no way they would let the moderates pull a deal with Dems the way that McHenry potentially could have.

It is stunning change in circumstances, just like every republican ran against Nancy Pelosi - every Democrat will be running against the Speaker of the House and his traitorous, homophobic, Handmaid’s Tale view of women - and his “We need to change their hearts, not ban guns ” ideas.  The Talabaptists will love him, but he will be an easy target to point to in debates when the GQP opponent has to admit he voted for him - allowing the Democrat to say, “See-  this is what they’re gonna do if I don’t win!”
That weird little backbencher has been sitting in Congress without anyone taking notice of him.  He is about to get all the attention in the world, and the DNC will be combing through every word he ever wrote or said, and sharing it with the voting electorate.    

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1