the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

Some points about Mike Johnson's "son" Michael.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/whats-up-with-speaker-mike-johnsons-black-son

TL;DR - he's 40, he was taken in by the Johnson's when they took in Michael was 14 years old. A lot of people have focused in on this interview:

And it sounds like he's talking about two 14-year olds. But at the 0:30 second mark he age separates them. The family history is actually shared earlier in the interview which is not included on these clips.

The whole story is outlined in the article.

2 hours ago, Pods said:

Not just gay marriage. Dude is flat out anti any premarital "sexual conduct". 

I don't mean to diminish the very real threat the GQP poses to our LGBTQ+ posters, but I want to focus on the implications of that broader statement. Saying pre-marital sexual conduct is evil and that states can discourage it is extreme Christofascist bullshit.

Also he's a lawyer who is watching his language. He's usually very precise in how he says things. Note he didn't just call out premarital sex, he specifically said ALL "sexual conduct outside marriage" is evil and governments have the right to discourage that "evil". That is really broad. 

He just skipped quite a few places on the "First they came for the _____" list. 

As awful as he is, the GQP forcing Mike Johnson's Puritanical values on the rest of us is doing everyone a massive favor, because it's ripping the cover back quickly to show what's underneath. I actually appreciate his hubris and audacity, because the enablers love to say that these kind of posts are hyperbole, while Johnson's own words show that the threat is very real and represents a threat to all of us. 

We're at the "they are coming for us" part of the list while there are still a lot of us left. We have to hope enough of us are listening to do something about it while we still can. 

He also thinks there were dinosaurs on Noah's ark, so I can see why you have a problem with him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 5

How did this turn out?

“One of the first bills I intend to file would require every member of Congress and their families to receive their healthcare only at VA hospitals,” he said. “The debate would highlight an important point that our veterans are not treated with the respect and dignity they deserve, and are not receiving the proper benefits they’ve earned. Yet, members of Congress live relatively like kings. It’s upside down and needs to change.

https://www.baptistmessage.com/mike-johnson-faith-family-freedom-motivate-run-seat-u-s-congress/

48 minutes ago, texasdago said:

How did this turn out?

“One of the first bills I intend to file would require every member of Congress and their families to receive their healthcare only at VA hospitals,” he said. “The debate would highlight an important point that our veterans are not treated with the respect and dignity they deserve, and are not receiving the proper benefits they’ve earned. Yet, members of Congress live relatively like kings. It’s upside down and needs to change.

https://www.baptistmessage.com/mike-johnson-faith-family-freedom-motivate-run-seat-u-s-congress/

Based on his otherwise very good health, the VA gave my Grandfather a mitral valve replacement when he was 87 that allowed him to live to 100 with a high quality of life. Think private insurance would have approved that? Most Americans lives would improve if they got throw into that briar patch.

• Hook 'Em 3

I get confused with that.  Because they quote that number but that's the Book of Genesis estimate.  And assuming it was a First Edition printing when the New Testament was added, isn't that at least 8,000 years old...or more?  And it all also depends on the understood age of the Torah.  and mainstream Judaism doesn't take nearly the hardline view of the Earth/Universe's age as Evangelical/Baptist faiths in the West.  Even the most rudimentary anthropological and archaeological estimates say 70% of all humans lived and died before any version of the Torah/Bible existed.  So if none of them were married in a Abrahamic tradition...then we're all illigitimate children of god.  Which makes sense because as much as I believe in a higher power...I frequently get the distinct impression he loves us, but went out for cigarettes, and hasn't talked to us since.  

• Haha 2

I get confused with that.  Because they quote that number but that's the Book of Genesis estimate.  And assuming it was a First Edition printing when the New Testament was added, isn't that at least 8,000 years old...or more?  And it all also depends on the understood age of the Torah.  and mainstream Judaism doesn't take nearly the hardline view of the Earth/Universe's age as Evangelical/Baptist faiths in the West.  Even the most rudimentary anthropological and archaeological estimates say 70% of all humans lived and died before any version of the Torah/Bible existed.  So if none of them were married in a Abrahamic tradition...then we're all illigitimate children of god.  Which makes sense because as much as I believe in a higher power...I frequently get the distinct impression he loves us, but went out for cigarettes, and hasn't talked to us since.  

Wkipedia says young earth creationists believe the earth is 6k to 10k years old. My experience must have been with those on the more idiotic end of the timeline. A distinction without a real difference. At any rate, it’s difficult to argue logic with the delusional.

49 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Even the most rudimentary anthropological and archaeological estimates say 70% of all humans lived and died before any version of the Torah/Bible existed.  So if none of them were married in a Abrahamic tradition...then we're all illigitimate children of god.  Which makes sense because as much as I believe in a higher power...I frequently get the distinct impression he loves us, but went out for cigarettes, and hasn't talked to us since.  

They all died in the flood. We are all illegitimate children of Noah.

54 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

11 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Wkipedia says young earth creationists believe the earth is 6k to 10k years old. My experience must have been with those on the more idiotic end of the timeline. A distinction without a real difference. At any rate, it’s difficult to argue logic with the delusional.

Much of it is based on Archbishop James Ussher's calculations in the 17th Century. Based on who begat who in the Bible and some absurd lifespan estimates, Ussher decided not only that the world was ~ 6000 years old, but that the world was created on October 22, 4004 BC. 

19 minutes ago, Pods said:

Truth. It's a special kind of intellectually lazy stupid that I particularly loathe. It's a dangerous, malignant stupidity, which betrays an intentional ignorance that is impossible for me to comprehend.

There are ~ 900 described species of dinosaur (not counting birds). The ark was supposedly ~ 440×72×43 ft. I've excavated a single sauropod sacrum (middle hip bone) that was 10 feet wide by itself. The whole animal would have been around 100 feet long and 50 tons. There are probably at least a dozen known dinosaur species in this size range. There are many, many other stupidly huge species as well. 

It's like someone saying they put the actual Mt. Rushmore in their pocket for show and tell. If someone went around insisting on that, we'd institutionalize them, but we're letting someone that stupid and intellectually dishonest be 2 heart beats from the Presidency.

This really is the dumbest timeline. 

But, counterpoint.....GOD CAN DO ANYTHING!!!!

Once you apply the laws of magic, it trumps everything else.  How is this possible?  DUH.  GOD THE MAGICIAN CAN DO ANYTHING.  HE CAN FIT A MILLION BILLION TRILLION DINOSAURS INTO A THIMBLE.  ARE YOU QUESTIONING THE POWER OF ALMIGHTY GOD????

• Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Extremely funny if true ….

Funny? More like "expected" at this point.

The more intense their opposition to gay rights, the more they yell about how bad it is, the more likely it is that they themselves have rent boys on the side.

Heh. Wife's at home on her knees, indeed. Because she doesn't get any when he's around...

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Once you apply the laws of magic, it trumps everything else.  How is this possible?  DUH.  GOD THE MAGICIAN CAN DO ANYTHING.  HE CAN FIT A MILLION BILLION TRILLION DINOSAURS INTO A THIMBLE.  ARE YOU QUESTIONING THE POWER OF ALMIGHTY GOD????

Didn't you ever see The Sword in Stone?  Merlin fit all that shit in his bag!

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes, but I also question the power of evolution. 

Evolution gives us lots of MTG types, but only rarely Susanna Hoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

This was his wedding portrait from 24 years ago.  Straight out of the 1990s.

344745340_1158112651528747_1051274745841

She gotta little Jenny Garth thing going on there.  He's got a little.  Well, gimme some time.  Or don't.  He may not be in that position very long.  

Also, what the fuck is her right arm doing?  She grabbing the next hitter for the 1998 Topps card?  

• Like 1

The more I read about Mike Johnson, the more I would prefer Jim Jordan as Speaker. Jordan is an asshat but at least we understand who he is.

I’m uncertain if we’ve ever had a religious fundamentalist this close to the Presidency. His wife didn’t go his swearing in as speaker because she was tired from praying? And he feels that God put him in the Speaker role? I assume that any opinion he has is actually God working through him which leaves no room for compromise. You can’t compromise God’s word.

lets hope that Johnson does what we expect so that the House can flip to blue next year. Especially since the senate could easily go red.

• Hook 'Em 2