45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Legal Eagle dives in:

Beat me to it. 

I was very happy to see that he pointed out paragraph 83 (7:30 mark), which to me puts to rest any and all debate about "what did he really know?" He fucking knew that he lost and he admitted it...just not in public. Of course he further demolishes that nonsense beginning around 15:30 with the "state of mind" stuff. I also liked the bit at the end re: Elias. That's a perfect illustration of how absurd the MAGA argument is.

Trump's case here is like an onion that's rotting from the inside: keep peeling them damned layers and it just keeps looking worse.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

“Our Founders lay this case out,” says Eastman. “There’s actually a provision in the Declaration of Independence that a people will suffer abuses while they remain sufferable, tolerable while they remain tolerable. At some point abuses become so intolerable that it becomes not only their right but their duty to alter or abolish the existing government.”

As the article already points out, I love how this degenerate says "provision in the Declaration of Independence" as if it were a legal instrument.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, hpslugga said:

As the article already points out, I love how this degenerate says "provision in the Declaration of Independence" as if it were a legal instrument.

The existing government during the attempted coup was the Trump government. They were trying to overthrow and abolish the will of the people to choose their own government. Which I’d say is looked down pretty unkindly by the founders 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Oh, this is a civil rights case now?

Not only that, but the most significant one in our nation in DECADES!  DECADES, MICHAEL, DECADES OF US! 

This is fucking insane.  I mean, I get we are here.  And I sorta see how we got here.  But how people say this shit with a straight face on national television.  I mean, I have given completely bullshit speeches in my time and been given awards after I was finished.  But how the fuck these people do this to the American people is nothing short of sociopathic.  But again, we're just idiots suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome.  Or we still have a handful of functioning cerebral synapses.  Either way.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pretrial publicity that the defendant creates does not serve as a ground for change of venue.

Do you honestly think Trump's fans or the performative theatrical artists known as the GQP care about that?

All that matters is what Trump says.  And they will run with it.  

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

No problem with Cannon though? Shocking. 

A pettier man would laugh to death if Smith/DOJ filed the same against Cannon the exact same day using Trump’s tweet 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Also, didn't Commander Dipshit just say a few days ago that he won every state, each, by "hundreds of thousands of votes"?  His words, not mine.  So while I guess he didn't mention District of Columbia by name, we can assume the smartest President ever would have also known D.C. and its three EC votes were also included in his batch of landslide victories, no?  

Seriously, how do some of you reconcile his insanity with what appears to be a normal sense of intelligence and ability to navigate modern society.  I mean, I'm fucking crazy but I have a decent concept of functioning mathematics and reasoning capabilities.  

• Haha 1

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/trump-taint-jury-pool-change-venue-dc

In 28 years practicing law as a defense attorney, federal and state prosecutor, I have never seen a criminal defendant intentionally try and taint his own prospective jury pool against him in order to secure a change of venue. But that is exactly what Donald Trump is doing now.

Federal criminal procedure states that a criminal trial shall be held in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred.  That is why the Special Counsel filed the documents case in the federal district in Florida where Mar-a-Lago is located, and the J6 indictment in DC.

However, criminal defendants may make a motion to change the location of the trial if they can show that the jury pool cannot be impartial because pretrial publicity or other issues have tainted their views of the case or the parties.

Trump is terrified of being tried in DC. The city is 44% black, 40% white and 16% from other races. It is also 76% registered Democrat. His judge is an Obama appointee. He has no complaints about his documents case in St. Lucie County, which is 72% white, 23% black, he won the county in 2020, and he has Judge Aileen Cannon.

It appears Trump's strategy is now to attempt to intentionally taint his DC jury pool against himself by trashing the city of DC. Only the twisted mind of this deviant could come up with such a scheme. It started minutes after leaving his arraignment, when he arrived at the airport to fly home and called DC a city of "filth and decay."

Trump followed that up with his first social media post on Sunday morning attacking DC, claiming that he also can't get a fair trial in DC because one of his policy proposals is to have the federal government seize control of the city government from local officials.  He is saying that because he is making a policy proposal that DC residents will be steadfastly against, they now won't be fair to him.

Spoiler

Trump also issued a video saying that if elected he will move 100,000 well-paying federal jobs out of DC "to places filled with patriots who love America," which would crush the local economy and force workers to move or be fired.  He has also said that he would require federal workers to take a patriotism exam to retain their jobs, while calling them part of the "deep state."

Trump posted on Trump Social that his trial should be moved to "unbiased West Virginia," a state he won in 2020 by 39 points. Trump attorney Jesse Binnall appeared on Newsmax and said, "A venue motion here is very important. Donald Trump ... stood up to the DC establishment. This is the Washington, DC establishment - that's the judge, that's the jury pool."

Trump's lead counsel in the J6 case John Lauro said this week that he will "absolutely" be filing a motion for a change of venue to move the case out of DC and would like to see the case moved to West Virginia.

Will any of this work? Absolutely not. It is very difficult to get a change of venue motion granted. The racial makeup of the community is not valid grounds.  Party affiliation of the voters is not valid. Every venue in America will have heard all about the case equally from pretrial publicity. 

Trump's attempts to trash a community in order to create legal grounds for a venue change will backfire on him, because the motion will be denied and he will then have his trial in a community that he just spent months attacking.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

We could literally have a scenario where one night the ex president and ex vice president debate each other for the nomination and the next day the ex vice president testifies against the ex president in a federal criminal trial.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One might think that trump writing “I am calling for a federal takeover” might be frowned upon by the god fearing, small gvt, fiscally responsible, Conservative Party that is the GOP. 

One might think that, but this is the gilded age of MAGA.  Old, traditional norms and rules no longer apply.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One might think that trump writing “I am calling for a federal takeover” might be frowned upon by the god fearing, small gvt, fiscally responsible, Conservative Party that is the GOP. 

They sure fuckin loved it during the summer of love in 2020 when the feds were deploying officers without identifying markings and without the consent of the city or state they were deployed to

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

There should be almost zero chance with both of these cases and the seemingly mountains of "open and shut" evidence against him for him not to be convicted on at least some of these charges. Then it'll be up to whether the DOJ has the balls to throw him in prison, whether the Republicans can manage to politic it up and corrupt him out of it, and whether the American people will actually vote for a known criminal and traitor to be president again. 

It bears repeating: in a well-functioning Republic, every last one of these fuckers would have swung from the gallows before the end of January 2021.
They attempted a revolution to overthrow the government duly elected by the people pursuant to the rule of law. They failed. They should all die.

Scott Adams seems eager for an era when we can shoot our neighbors merely for belonging to the opposition. And…maybe we are. Hey Scott…FAFO. A lot of us “libs” know how to shoot very, very well. I’m an 80s kid. I thought hard about how I’d shoot evil Russian-aligned authoritarians who would attack my country. Scott wants to give me the chance to put that exact plan into action. Go for it, Scott. Back it up, hero.

One might think that, but this is the gilded age of MAGA.  Old, traditional norms and rules no longer apply.

And this is why we need to stop fighting them with one arm tied behind our back. Yes, use the rule of law as intended. But we also need to relentlessly harass, boycott, and shame every MAGAT. Shove them out of decent society and back under the rock where they belong. Don’t socialize with them. Kick them out of your home and family and circle of friends. Shame their businesses. And more. Fuck them. Fuck them all to hell. They chose the side of attacking my country. They are Al Qaeda. Treat them as such.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

40 minutes ago, texasdago said:

On a side note, Pence is going to complete F Trump over and be the one that sends him to jail.  *Chef's kiss* 

Trump is trying to beat up on Pence because he’s scared shitless that more people around him are going to turn on him.  If he can make an example out of Pence, he might be able to keep everybody else in line, but it doesn’t seem to be working for him. Pence is yapping away to anybody that will shove a camera in his face,

27 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

There should be almost zero chance with both of these cases and the seemingly mountains of "open and shut" evidence against him for him not to be convicted on at least some of these charges. Then it'll be up to whether the DOJ has the balls to throw him in prison, whether the Republicans can manage to politic it up and corrupt him out of it, and whether the American people will actually vote for a known criminal and traitor to be president again. 

Republican finance people who deal with fundraising are drooling over the thought of Trump being convicted and/or imprisoned. MAGA would send in their Social Security checks like it was the height of the 1980s and 1990s televangelism.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump is trying to beat up on Pence because he’s scared shitless that more people around him are going to turn on him.  If he can make an example out of Pence, he might be able to keep everybody else in line, but it doesn’t seem to be working for him. Pence is yapping away to anybody that will shove a camera in his face,

Republican finance people who deal with fundraising are drooling over the thought of Trump being convicted and/or imprisoned. MAGA would send in their Social Security checks like it was the height of the 1980s and 1990s televangelism.

Can the statute of not profiting from your crimes be shaped to prevent this?

I would not be surprised if John Cornyn is fundraising for Pence and pushing his anti-Trump stance since the Mitch glitch. Cornyn is one of the top fundraisers in the Senate. He knows the Ken Paxton shit show in Texas proves people will still elect someone who has been indicted. 

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated