45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

So he's trying to say, "I'm not with them" when every single one of them is about to say HE is the reason they did what they did? HE directed them to do it. But he's not associated with them. Do I have that right? What are the implications here? That bc they don't have more time to prepare this means they're all turbofucked? 

I'm not asserting that this "logic" is bulletproof, but indulge me:  what if Joe Biden (or his campaign manager) had tried to arrange a similar meeting in late 2020, had the shoe been on the other foot?  Would that have been "official Federal business"?

Of course not.  Joe Biden was a private citizen.  Now, he might not have had the leverage Trump & Meadows had, but to me it's clear that actions on behalf of a political campaign are not on behalf of the Federal government.

I'm probably wrong.  Ask my wife, it's common.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not asserting that this "logic" is bulletproof, but indulge me:  what if Joe Biden (or his campaign manager) had tried to arrange a similar meeting in late 2020, had the shoe been on the other foot?  Would that have been "official Federal business"?

Of course not.  Joe Biden was a private citizen.  Now, he might not have had the leverage Trump & Meadows had, but to me it's clear that actions on behalf of a political campaign are not on behalf of the Federal government.

I'm probably wrong.  Ask my wife, it's common.

I think that the fact that the actions were political/personal in nature is the dispositive fact. The Hatch Act tidies that up nicely.

I think a second factor is that federal officials, probably most especially executive officials, have no role in state elections.

That the acts are alleged to be a crime and may be proven to be a crime is not dispositive.

These are my hopes, but I'm not the judge and I really hope this isn't wishcasting.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

So he's trying to say, "I'm not with them" when every single one of them is about to say HE is the reason they did what they did? HE directed them to do it. But he's not associated with them. Do I have that right? What are the implications here? That bc they don't have more time to prepare this means they're all turbofucked? 

I haven't been paying too close of attention lately, and I could be wrong, but did he just play right into Harris's hand.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think that the fact that the actions were political/personal in nature is the dispositive fact. The Hatch Act tidies that up nicely.

I think a second factor is that federal officials, probably most especially executive officials, have no role in state elections.

That the acts are alleged to be a crime and may be proven to be a crime is not dispositive.

These are my hopes, but I'm not the judge and I really hope this isn't wishcasting.

On this, I'm pretty sure that the only conceivable role any federal official could have related to state elections would be actual DOJ attorneys investigating whether in conducting an election some state official was violating citizens' constitutional rights. I guess maybe the attorney general, to the extent the attorney general is involved in discussions with lower-level investigators concerning such investigations.

The President and/or the Chief of Staff? Absent a truly terrifying application of the unitary executive theory, I can't see it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

On this, I'm pretty sure that the only conceivable role any federal official could have related to state elections would be actual DOJ attorneys investigating whether in conducting an election some state official was violating citizens' constitutional rights. I guess maybe the attorney general, to the extent the attorney general is involved in discussions with lower-level investigators concerning such investigations.

The President and/or the Chief of Staff? Absent a truly terrifying application of the unitary executive theory, I can't see it. 

This. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

No wonder he's been melting down slightly more than usual on truth.social. He's been playing the greatest hits, but MAGA isn't sending him money.

The PAC had $156 million.  It now has $4 million.

I will guarantee two things about the $152 million that has been spent:

1) very little of it actually went to pay attorneys (Trump attorneys get stiffed: this is the way)

2) a great deal of it found its way into the pockets of the Trump family

The problem with any con that goes on too long is that it all falls apart.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1) very little of it actually went to pay attorneys (Trump attorneys get stiffed: this is the way)

I happen to know that one of his former, now deceased (RIP), attorneys never got paid for any of the (fairly significant) work he did. 

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I happen to know that one of his former, now deceased (RIP), attorneys never got paid for any of the (fairly significant) work he did. 

His entire life has been a quest to be the biggest piece of shit any of us has ever seen. And he was elected President. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

#2 wouldn't surprise me but what I understand is that the lawyers who don't get paid are those who Trump pays for himself.

The PACs aren't run by him and are paying the legal bills for Trump and some defendants like Nauta. In fact, the reason they are running out of cash is because Trump refuses to pay for the lawyers out of his own pocket and insists on using the money from the rubes from Save America PAC.

Keep in mind there are two PACs here - "Save America" which is the one paying the legal bills and for some campaigning and also "Make America Great Again PAC" which doesn't pay the legal bills but has had to loan Save America PAC money in order to make ends meet. 

Regardless, both are running out of cash and I wouldn't be surprised to see Save America go kaput soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, a certain someone is facing a $250 million default loss in the state of New York with either payment or asset forfeiture, so yeah.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's not that shooting someone in the face is or is not a crime.  It might be murder, it might be manslaughter, it might be self defense and not a crime at all.

It's that the White House Chief of Staff is not authorized to carry a weapon, he's not authorized to protect the president using force or deadly force, he's not generally authorized to shoot people, for any reason. He has no law-enforcement authority whatsoever.  It's not part of his job description, crime or not.

But if he's arguing that he didn't shoot him, didn't even have a gun then the analogy is fine. You still need to address it. 

And go. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

But if he's arguing that he didn't shoot him, didn't even have a gun then the analogy is fine. You still need to address it. 

And go. 

What?  I've explained it in great detail.  Arguing that something is or is not a crime, guilt or innocence, is not going to help get a case removed, or conversely, keep it in state court.

If shooting people is part of your official federal duty, that's relevant.  If it's not, that's relevant.  Whether the shooting was murder or manslaughter or completely justified is not relevant.  Trying to argue you didn't do it isn't relevant, either.

Edited by TwiceHorn

It might be related to the absolute fucking mountain of evidence in him, in a variety of different cases. A lot of which we have all seen and heard. 

"I've been arrested for no reason!"

"We have video of you murdering people. You looked at the camera and said your name, and then murdered them. You are being prosecuted for that."

"Yep, no reason at all!"

• Haha 2