45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

It's a neat trick. When you're being impeached for your crimes, say "no no, this is a legal matter, not a political one". Then after you've left office and you're facing the legal implications of your crimes, say "no no, he was President you see. He can't commit crimes. In fact, he could have his opponents murdered and that would be totally cool." 

(judges take weeks to come to a decision)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Glad that they're just looking out for the little guy.

Yep.

Who knows when you, your friends, or your family get caught up in illegal acts and treasonous schemes before, during, and after occupying the office of the President of the United States of America.

You could wake up tomorrow and face some serious time and legal costs.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

DC Circuit still hasn't ruled on Trump's immunity claim.  This is getting ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Serious question that I ask with some snark: Why would it take longer than oh 30 seconds? 

52 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Best guess is a judge that likes to sniff his/her own farts is writing a long and completely unnecessary concurrence. 

giphy.gif

Best guess.  Courts tend to take their sweet time writing judicial opinions which almost are guaranteed to get taken up by the US Supreme Court, which, less face it, might be a little predisposed to poke holes in an opinion knocking down a former President's seemingly ridiculous claim of absolute immunity.   I'm okay with their taking the time to get the thing as iron-clad as possible.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, dcbc said:

giphy.gif

Best guess.  Courts tend to take their sweet time writing judicial opinions which almost are guaranteed to get taken up by the US Supreme Court, which, less face it, might be a little predisposed to poke holes in an opinion knocking down a former President's seemingly ridiculous claim of absolute immunity.   I'm okay with their taking the time to get the thing as iron-clad as possible.

Yep, this is going to be a 50 pager most likely.  Chutkan's opinion was 48 pages. And, because there are no cases directly on point, it is much harder to draft than one where simply choosing between cases/theories is at stake.

The Supreme Court has said, in more credible days, that it does not review opinions, but instead cases or issues more broadly.

That said, a carefully written, well-reasoned opinion is highly valuable in convincing SCOTUS to adopt "your" resolution of the issues.

The DC Circuit could issue what's called a "per curiam" affirmance of Chutkan, if it agreed completely with her reasoning and writing.  That's the only way this could take the proverbial "30 seconds."

At minimum, I am guessing they are elaborating on her opinion if not altering it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

image001.thumb.png.da535093ad4492c0605f2b1603af29e6.png

Here are some federal stats on civil appeals from a few years back. You will note that the DC Circuit in civil appeals has an average of 2.8 months from oral argument to opinion.  

Oral argument was Jan. 9.    So the appellate court is NOT delaying this for Trump. 

Simma down hippos…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

But gee, doesn't that make it more exciting, though?

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Season ending cliffhanger. You will have to wait for next season to find out. That’s how they getcha to keep watching. 

willy-wonka-excited.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Not killing Trump's business, but having someone else over it is in my mind the best option because IMO:

1.) It'll make his blood boil to have someone else looking over his shoulder while he runs his eponymous company.

2.) Likelier we see some of his illegal and shady practices exposed as they can't help themselves / it's the only thing he and the fam knows

3.) Trying to run it on the up-and-up will cause it to fail as it's just one big scheme thereby only prolonging the misery

4.) His martyrdom is diminished somewhat as he can't say the libs shut him down.

Or sell his company to someone he hates (Soros or some tech billionaire) and have them make meeellions while he watches from his jail cell.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

image001.thumb.png.da535093ad4492c0605f2b1603af29e6.png

Here are some federal stats on civil appeals from a few years back. You will note that the DC Circuit in civil appeals has an average of 2.8 months from oral argument to opinion.  

Oral argument was Jan. 9.    So the appellate court is NOT delaying this for Trump. 

Simma down hippos…

Yes, but this circuit has shown it can move quickly when it chooses, and this isn’t the run of the mill case involving the federal government. 

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Yes, but this circuit has shown it can move quickly when it chooses, and this isn’t the run of the mill case involving the federal government. 

I totally agree.  My only point was that the DC circuit court of appeal was not sitting on this to do Trump favors - or to drag this out for reasons unknown. They aren’t doing either.  And if people don’t think appellate judges spend more time on an opinion with a high likelihood of Scotus Writ Grant, they are naïve.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I keep thinking of tonight sort of like "A visit from St. Nicholas"

T'was the night before disgorgement and all thru Mar-A-Lago...

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, 

Don Junior high on cocaine and not in clothes but tatters!

Some of you with better literary skills than I can fill in the remainder. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Or sell his company to someone he hates (Soros or some tech billionaire) and have them make meeellions while he watches from his jail cell.

And then rename everything: Biden Tower, Clinton National Golf Club, Mar-a-Fani, etc

He’d have a heart attack and croak in 24 hours

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Slacks said:

She'll get paid to talk about anything that isn't privileged. 

Given that Carroll’s legal team maybe seeking sanctions against her for making shit up, hope Trump paid her.  Will be hilarious if he actually fired her.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-lawyer-alina-habba-makes-backs-conflict-allegation-e-jean-carrol-rcna136424

Did he actually fire habba? I mean she’s out of her element period in a court room but appellate work is specialized from my loose grasp of attorneying

This. It seems more likely she’s sidelined rather than fired. We will see if any real lawyers turn up for this job.