2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d be curious to know if the lambo dealer is expecting or realizing a ROI on this program. How many units are they putting into the program and at what cost to them, presumably mostly on depreciation?  

I realize this is not my concern, but if it’s public info that I just don’t know then I’d like to be enlightened. Otherwise I’ll mind my business. 

I don't know why something like that would be public. Do other private companies often release their marketing, advertising and R&D ROI calcs to random people who are curious? 

I don't know whether it is true or not, but someone last year said that sales had gone up for the centex group in a measurable way after their first deals on the NIL end. I'm guessing that car dealer isn't an abject buffoon fanboi, but who knows?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I guess this goes here:

Today, the Justice Department joined 10 states and the District of Columbia in a civil antitrust lawsuit challenging the National Collegiate Athletics Association’s (NCAA) Transfer Eligibility Rule. The amended complaint alleges that the NCAA unreasonably restricts college athletes’ freedom to transfer between academic institutions by limiting their eligibility to participate in intercollegiate contests if they transfer more than once during their college careers. By deterring transfers, the rule also denies athletes educational opportunities.

Last month, the states of Ohio, Colorado, Illinois, New York, North Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia filed this lawsuit in the Northern District of West Virginia. Shortly after filing, the court granted the states’ request for a temporary restraining order, finding the NCAA’s Transfer Eligibility Rule likely violates Section 1 of the Sherman Act. Today, plaintiffs filed an amended complaint adding the United States, the states of Minnesota, Mississippi and Virginia and the District of Columbia as co-plaintiffs.

“We are proud to stand with our state law enforcement partners on behalf of college athletes across the nation,” said Assistant Attorney General Jonathan Kanter of the Justice Department’s Antitrust Division. “NCAA Division I institutions compete with each other not just on the playing field or in the arena, but to recruit and retain college athletes. College athletes should be able to freely choose the institutions that best meet their academic, personal and professional development needs without anticompetitive restrictions that limit their mobility by sacrificing a year of athletic competition.”

The amended complaint alleges that the NCAA’s one-time-transfer rule unreasonably restrains competition in the markets for athletic services in men’s and women’s Division I basketball and Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) football, as well as for athletic services in all other men’s and women’s Division I sports. The rule forces college athletes who transfer more than once to sit on the sidelines for an entire season before they are eligible to compete in NCAA athletic competitions at their new school. The amended complaint further alleges that the restriction limits college athletes’ bargaining power and harms both their educational and athletic experiences.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-joins-lawsuit-challenging-national-collegiate-athletics-associations-ncaa

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

For perspective, Alabama's bag game was run for less than $1M per year. They typically got a Saban discount to boot. That enabled them to typically be the most powerful player in the black market of buying players through family members or street agents before NIL. Sure, a team like Auburn or Tennessee would occasionally show up and go batshit crazy and buy above everyone else's head for a cycle, but Bama would still get theirs. Georgia, under Smart, wound up with a bigger budget and started to encroach on Saban's reach, but they were the only true threat for keeping an absolute competitive advantage against the rest of CFB.

The whole game was played between Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, FSU, Auburn, and few others. The game was closed and few new entrants could win their way into the dealings with the agents and such. ATM came in at the end with money ultimately so over the top that it made a mockery of the game, just as NIL was dawning in order to destroy the prior premise in general. 

Now? Bama's NIL isn't dramatically higher than their prior bag budget. They don't have the alumni base or local corporate density to grow it much. They aren't even close to being relevant compared to numerous other schools, but notably Texas and Ohio State. Without Saban and his gravitas and NFL placement history, the gap just grew immediately wider. I'm not going to go into further specifics right now, but we're talking about a Grand Canyon kind of gap between where Bama is and where Texas is. 

Also, if Oatis goes in the portal, much like Niblack and Bond, I expect Texas to be front and center in that recruitment. 

Well gaw-Lee just Call us the Texas Crimson  cause the Tide is turning 

Ol Knee GIF

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I feel that I speak for everyone here when I say no one here is interested in hearing about your fantasies in general, and particularly about the fucking AZ kid that you won't stop jerking off to and then draggging it onto this board daily. Or your fantasies about what you think the kid was worth, which literally no one else apparently thought he was worth.  

Stop It, Get Help.gif

The point was “there might be a WR worth 1M in the portal- it isn’t Bond- and it certainly isn’t 3M for Bond.”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know why something like that would be public. Do other private companies often release their marketing, advertising and R&D ROI calcs to random people who are curious? 

I don't know whether it is true or not, but someone last year said that sales had gone up for the centex group in a measurable way after their first deals on the NIL end. I'm guessing that car dealer isn't an abject buffoon fanboi, but who knows?

Allegedly not at all connected to Texas or even a fan. Had to have it explained to him who Bijan Robinson was. Allegedly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As kind an answer as I could hope for. Thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vermin said:

Is Kalen DeBoer is way over in his head at Alabama? These kind of jailbreaks should only happen at aggy level programs.

I am sure the level of tampering is nuclear. They are the best roster in CFB with a closed portal window to everyone else. They are sitting ducks.

2 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Is Kalen DeBoer is way over in his head at Alabama? These kind of jailbreaks should only happen at aggy level programs.

Maybe, but with no Saban the likelihood of getting developed into an early NFL draft pick has decreased, and Bama’s NIL is lagging way behind so there’s overall less to fall back on. “Take less with the promise of more in the near future” probably rings pretty hollow coming from DeBoer’s lips. 

5 minutes ago, Vermin said:

He’s lost a total of 12 games in 9 years of coaching. I don’t think he’s ‘in over his head’, but I do think he is going to have his most challenging season as a head coach in 2024. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Vermin said:

1 minute ago, MrX said:

Maybe, but with no Saban the likelihood of getting developed into an early NFL draft pick has decreased, and Bama’s NIL is lagging way behind so there’s overall less to fall back on. “Take less with the promise of more in the near future” probably rings pretty hollow coming from DeBoer’s lips. 

It's definitely mostly the above. As others have pointed out, Alabama was getting a significant discount because of Saban's track record, players are not giving them that discount anymore. Deboer may be a good coach but he obviously does not have nearly Saban's track record or reputation. Not to mention he apparently is not the biggest fan of recruiting and keeping players right now is a matter of salesmanship and recruiting dozens of guys that you don't even know. A non-natural recruiter can land good classes with hard work and relationship building if he's not good at selling. But in this situation you have to be a salesman because you don't have the relationships. Apparently he either doesn't care for it or isn't great at it, or both.

• Hook 'Em 1

I dont feel the way Rodney Terry feels about it, but I do hate when pieces of shit throw the Horns down just to spite us, but the last few pages of this thread make me feel infinitely better. If any of them low-rent future insurance salesmen had our number calling them, they'd answer in a heartbeat. I know a few of these incoming guys would have jumped at the opportunity to throw the Horns down during game week (or during the game if they held the brief lead), but when that phone starts ringing.................... we know who we are. And so do they. And they know that we know that they know. \m/

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's definitely mostly the above. As others have pointed out, Alabama was getting a significant discount because of Saban's track record, players are not giving them that discount anymore. Deboer may be a good coach but he obviously does not have nearly Saban's track record or reputation. Not to mention he apparently is not the biggest fan of recruiting and keeping players right now is a matter of salesmanship and recruiting dozens of guys that you don't even know. A non-natural recruiter can land good classes with hard work and relationship building if he's not good at selling. But in this situation you have to be a salesman because you don't have the relationships. Apparently he either doesn't care for it or isn't great at it, or both.

Interesting. I always thought of Alabama as a dirty program that was generous with the cash like with Albert Means.

i guess they’ve been spoiled so long by Saban that they think winning is cheap.

Sucks for that kid, must be hard to look in the mirror while watching Milroe have the success he thought he was heading for. 

I still remember those offseason workout vids where he looked a step or two below the guys he was going through drills with. 

2 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

I have no idea what the payroll for our roster is but the only number I’ve ever heard thrown out is 15-17 million/yr…. By Nahlin so tifwiw. Allotting 33% of our entire payroll to one player seems like bad business, unless it’s Vince Young. 

3 isn’t 33% of 15. 👍 @Texasborn91

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Interesting. I always thought of Alabama as a dirty program that was generous with the cash like with Albert Means.

Oh they definitely paid illegally for decades, but now that there are legal ways to earn money their bags look a lot smaller. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Bond picked a bronco and not a bigass truck like Bijan. Not our standard!

Didn't Bijan drive a Lambo? And I appreciate any player getting a car where you can actually see the road over your hood if he's going to drive it around campus.

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I still think we need another screenshot thread for the non-OU/non-aggie screenshots. Some of the Bama stuff on 247 right now is pure gold. These guys are trending hard towards aggieland. 

A few of the funnier things being thrown out there, that many of them really believe, are the following:

1) The gravitas (my word - they don't know what that word even means, but it's what they're talking about) of Nick Saban is why they were landing so much talent for so long. He wasn't playing any funny business with the bag money or anything else, unlike all of these other rapscallions out there. 

2) They're using the premise of 1 as an indicator as to why players are leaving. If they can't have Saban, now these mercenaries are leaving for the highest bidder.

3) They're still going to wind up landing the highest ranked classes because of the power of the Bama brand transcends the sport and environment overall. They don't need money! They're Ala-ByGawd-Bama!

I mean it is hilarious stuff.

image.gif.726b21e4f53d51ca3a92d086bd59b859.gif

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Didn't Bijan drive a Lambo? And I appreciate any player getting a car where you can actually see the road over your hood if he's going to drive it around campus.

Lamborghini and jacked up F150 if I am not mistaken.

Edited by HOOKEM4
ousux

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think they just get the lambo for weekends here and there. That’s not their everyday driver car. 

58 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

A Lambo costs like $1M. A Lambo lease is around $3K a month. If the Austin Lambo dealership sold 1 Lambo based on leasing 3-4 to the football team they are way fucking ahead.

Lol inflation has been bad but not anywhere close to this bad.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I think they just get the lambo for weekends here and there. That’s not their everyday driver car. 

They are allowed to take it across the street to buy groceries at Central Market, then have to return it and Uber back to campus. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Vermin said:

What they did looked “generous” when only a dozen schools were active in the black market and it was cash under the table. 

now that everyone is playing and it’s level, they’re being outpaced 10x. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.