Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I don't think that's accurate.

Screenshot_20230720_075320_Weather.thumb.jpg.eba34b3f246dbfc10b91ef4cc635c905.jpg

Maybe your app hadnt updated.

Stop using garbage weather apps that are just taking data from other places and fucking with the numbers.

Here is a screenshot from this morning of the observed hourly data from the NWS. Sure looks like the NWS says it was 85 with a heat index of 91.

Screenshot2023-07-20at7_57_33AM.png.896d0ae0917685f382e690272eb9d564.png

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Stop using garbage weather apps that are just taking data from other places and fucking with the numbers.

Here is a screenshot from this morning of the observed hourly data from the NWS. Sure looks like the NWS says it was 85 with a heat index of 91.

Screenshot2023-07-20at7_57_33AM.png.896d0ae0917685f382e690272eb9d564.png

There's nothing wrong with the app I'm using. It kept getting cooler after 6 am which seemed weird to me. Carry on. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There's nothing wrong with the app I'm using. It kept getting cooler after 6 am which seemed weird to me. Carry on. 

residual cooling. Pretty typical. The inverse happens in the evening despite the sun not being high in the sky.

Edited by UnivTex34

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm ready for another week long ice and snow storm with temps in the single digits. I'm going to sit out in it in shorts and a t-shirt. 

Eating canned tuna fish in a dark house with an internal temperature in the low 40s seems lovely to me right now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

residual cooling. Pretty typical. The inverse happens in the evening despite the sun not being high in the sky.

Yeah and I think DFW retains more heat than Austin. Usually here the lowest temp is right before sunrise. 

Yeah, we are.  But as someone noted above, at this point, we're getting to a place where "all summers are shitty."  In terms of how it affects your life, there's not much difference in the summer where we had 40 days over 100, averaging 103, vs. one where we had 35 days over 100, averaging 102.8.  It's like saying that being sodomized by a baseball bat studded with 98 nails isn't so bad, because LAST time, the baseball bat was studded with 100 nails.  Fuck that shit, it all sucks.

Not arguing, completely agree. That said I hope we don’t get this again….. This picture of the bastrop fire still shocks me

9bc6dba24403300977e9d93278a2aa1b.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

12 hours ago, After irth said:

You don’t have to shovel heat, though. 

I heard that line my whole life it seems.  Turns out there are places where a moderate amount of snow and occasionally shoveling your driveway beats not wanting to go outside for 6 months out of the year.  Personal preference of course.  

Perhaps eventually this isn’t true, but as it stands now the choice doesn’t have to be blast furnace versus Arctic blizzard.  There are still some nice four season in betweens out there.  

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

...just as long as I don't have to melt dirty snow to take a shit.

Dumbass.  You didn't have to melt snow to take a shit.

You just had to melt snow if you wanted to flush it down.  Hey, it was cold inside your house.  That shit can fester a coupla days at those temps and not stink things up too bad.  These are pro-tips learned from living in Texapocalypse.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Same.  It wasn't the reason but it was a reason.

In the unlikely event I ever need to move back, it will not be in the summer.

Wasn't just the summer.  The occasional 85 degree Februarys or Octobers got annoying too.

Edited by closetohumping

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dumbass.  You didn't have to melt snow to take a shit.

You just had to melt snow if you wanted to flush it down.  Hey, it was cold inside your house.  That shit can fester a coupla days at those temps and not stink things up too bad.  These are pro-tips learned from living in Texapocalypse.

tenor.gif?itemid=4726988&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=

27 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I heard that line my whole life it seems.  Turns out there are places where a moderate of snow and occasionally shoveling your driveway beats not wanting to go outside for 6 months out of the year.  Personal preference of course. 

I've used the "you don't have to shovel heat" line here several times, but now that I'm looking at the summer ahead of us, I have come to realize it's  pretty ignorant.

Sure, sounded funny, but then it hits you.  Fuck, you can't shovel heat - it's ever-present throughout the summer.  With snow I can shovel it and it's out of the way at that moment in time.  Gets colder, I can put on another layer.  Now - I can't take off much more and walk around and not be picked up by APD for indecent exposure.

I've experienced really shitty winters up north - North Dakota/Montana winters.  They suck ass compared to New England and PNW winters.  I'll gladly take a NE winter over an Austin summer at this point.  I know I will be out and about in a NE winter, skiing, snowmobiling, or sledding with the kids or fishing or whatever, and there's plenty of indoor stuff to do (which is what we do in the summers here in Austin).

I keep thinking "is it just me getting older and I'm feeling it a little more?" but then everybody I know is feeling the same about the summers.  If I bring it up with friends or parents of my kids' friends, it seems like almost all of them are like "yeah, we've considered moving as well, or at least trying to spend our summers in Colorado or New Mexico."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I heard that line my whole life it seems.  Turns out there are places where a moderate of snow and occasionally shoveling your driveway beats not wanting to go outside for 6 months out of the year.  Personal preference of course.  

Perhaps eventually this isn’t true, but as it stands now the choice doesn’t have to be blast furnace versus Arctic blizzard.  There are still some nice four season in betweens out there.  

Having lived in both Austin and various spots in the Midwest, I've really come around on this post recent weather changes. I used to be a "you don't need to shovel heat" guy and lived in apartments with pools and had no kids and all that jazz. Summers in TX weren't as bad and I could always just cool off pretty easily. Now, not so much.

On the flip side, here in the Midwest you used to have 3+ inches of snow, where you *actually* have to shovel for real, about once a week. Now its just 2-4 times a year with one, maybe two, bad snowstorm(s) of like 6+ inches. Most of the time its <2" and you just do a little path on your sidewalk and approach to your house, so you're not a dick to the neighbors or mailman, but you don't bother with your driveway because it'll melt in a day or two and your car can go over it in the meantime, anyway. 

Note, though, that this is only in the Chicago and Detroit metros. No clue for places like Minny or Buffalo or wherever. I imagine Buffalo constantly getting bombed with lake effect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah and I think DFW retains more heat than Austin. Usually here the lowest temp is right before sunrise. 

Today, the 50 ft walk from the back door to the garage was miserable.  Every inch of exposed skin was soaking wet from the humidity.  I got to downtown Houston an hour later and it felt 15 degrees cooler because there was a slight breeze and the humidity was a lot lower.  6:30 to about 8:00 is fairly pleasant in the grand scheme of things this time of year.

7 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Yep.

One of the reasons.  Tulsa is still hot in summer but not blast furnace hot.  We’ve hit three days of 100F temps this year.

all that sucking creates a low pressure system preventing a high pressure dome from forming.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've used the "you don't have to shovel heat" line here several times, but now that I'm looking at the summer ahead of us, I have come to realize it's  pretty ignorant.

Sure, sounded funny, but then it hits you.  Fuck, you can't shovel heat - it's ever-present throughout the summer.  With snow I can shovel it and it's out of the way at that moment in time.  Gets colder, I can put on another layer.  Now - I can't take off much more and walk around and not be picked up by APD for indecent exposure.

I've experienced really shitty winters up north - North Dakota/Montana winters.  They suck ass compared to New England and PNW winters.  I'll gladly take a NE winter over an Austin summer at this point.  I know I will be out and about in a NE winter, skiing, snowmobiling, or sledding with the kids or fishing or whatever, and there's plenty of indoor stuff to do (which is what we do in the summers here in Austin).

I keep thinking "is it just me getting older and I'm feeling it a little more?" but then everybody I know is feeling the same about the summers.  If I bring it up with friends or parents of my kids' friends, it seems like almost all of them are like "yeah, we've considered moving as well, or at least trying to spend our summers in Colorado or New Mexico."

Winters in the NE are overrated.  It's basically for two months with a little spillover in December and March.  Meanwhile, the summers are mostly great and fall is the tits.  Sure, it gets hot at times in the summer but it's brief, maybe a few weeks.  It's not a summer death march.

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is where I'm at.  Starting to think Colorado in lieu of Rockport.  Problem right now is wife can't "work from anywhere" like I mostly can.  Need to figure that part out.  I'm pretty good with heat, in general. But I dont know how the fuck those in Arizona and Nevada are doing it right now.  Just doesn't compute for me. 

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

2011 was drier but this summer is absolutely gonna be hotter when its all said and done

and arent people predicting next summer will be hotter because of El Nino?

I believe they predicted this summer to be mild because of El Nino or lack thereof, whichever one it is. 

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

This is where I'm at.  Starting to think Colorado in lieu of Rockport.  Problem right now is wife can't "work from anywhere" like I mostly can.  Need to figure that part out.  I'm pretty good with heat, in general. But I dont know how the fuck those in Arizona and Nevada are doing it right now.  Just doesn't compute for me. 

High Five Friends GIF by Amazon Freevee

• Hook 'Em 1