Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

Still on track to move just outside mexico city next year for a couple years. June 2024 is our target. Have been here on vacation all this week. High today was 67. Rain from the mountains every afternoon and evening. What I didn't know was mexico city is about 7500 ft above sea level. I knew it was high but not that high.  These higher elevations are where people are going to start heading. We are discussing selling our flower mound home after a couple years here and buying our next home in Denver or somewhere in Colorado. Lower elevations for both record heat and mother natures list of fuck you's (hurricanes tornados floods etc) can eat a bag o dicks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Still on track to move just outside mexico city next year for a couple years. June 2024 is our target. Have been here on vacation all this week. High today was 67. Rain from the mountains every afternoon and evening. What I didn't know was mexico city is about 7500 ft above sea level. I knew it was high but not that high.  These higher elevations are where people are going to start heading. We are discussing selling our flower mound home after a couple years here and buying our next home in Denver or somewhere in Colorado. Lower elevations for both record heat and mother natures list of fuck you's (hurricanes tornados floods etc) can eat a bag o dicks. 

I'm thinking about that one - are you doing temp or permanent resident of Mexico?

20 days in a row, up to 4th place all-time.

https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/july-2023-100-degrees-streak/

Austin is currently experiencing one of the longest stretches of triple-digit heat in recorded history. Camp Mabry, Austin’s official weather reporting site, has reached 100° or hotter every day since July 8.

That means, as of Thursday, temperatures have reached the century mark for 20 days in a row. With records dating back to the 1890s, that ties as the fourth-longest stretch of triple-digit temperatures ever recorded in Austin.

• July 17 - Aug 12, 2011 - 27
  • July 16 - Aug 5, 2022 - 21 days
  • July 12 - Aug 1, 2001 - 21 days
  • July 8 - July 27, 2023 - 20 days

We're going to beat the record.  We already got an early start, and in two days will be in 2nd place.

4 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

Permanent i believe. Wife is from Mexico. She is handling it so I don't have much more in terms of specifics.

She has a younger Mexican boyfriend, so when you try to cross the border and she can’t find your passport and says, “Don’t worry, I’ll go ahead and get things ready for you and you can join me later”, we won’t laugh when you tell your story here. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

I think elevation near water is the only solution if you want moderate temps. Fires (usually caused by drought) is the only current FAFO event in the mountains that bring major distress to humans. Not saying mountain climates won’t have their own problems but extreme heat, sea level rise, hurricanes and flooding aren’t on the list. 

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

20 days in a row, up to 4th place all-time.

https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/july-2023-100-degrees-streak/

• July 17 - Aug 12, 2011 - 27
  • July 16 - Aug 5, 2022 - 21 days
  • July 12 - Aug 1, 2001 - 21 days
  • July 8 - July 27, 2023 - 20 days

We're going to beat the record.  We already got an early start, and in two days will be in 2nd place.

Weird....they all occurred recently. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

Look... I love Mexico City and I would love to live in the area... have loved it since I was a kid but let's not kid ourselves.  CDMX has a big water problem.  That and volcanos because the way things are going in the world, they're probably all going to blow concurrently.  But, hey... a couple of years?  F it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Do you already have a TR? That's what you start with.

I don't. The plan is to nationalize our son first and then she said it's much easier for me to get mine. I would assume if we can't get the permanent one done in time we will get the temporary one and go from there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

She has a younger Mexican boyfriend, so when you try to cross the border and she can’t find your passport and says, “Don’t worry, I’ll go ahead and get things ready for you and you can join me later”, we won’t laugh when you tell your story here. 

That would be "paid to go on a Christmas light tour of my own neighborhood" lulz.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Heidi Klum Wow GIF by Lifetime

https://apnews.com/article/southwest-extreme-heat-wave-922e965ba3d3e42cbffc2ece12d5c114

Forecasters expect that by Monday, people in metro Phoenix will begin to see high temperatures fall under 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43.3 degrees Celsius) for the first time in a month.

But not on Saturday. The high temperature in the desert city with more than 1.6 million residents climbed past 110 F for the 30th straight day, the National Weather Service said. The previous record stretch of 110 F or above was for 18 days in 1974.

There are increased chances on Sunday of cooling monsoon thunderstorms. Though wet weather can also bring damaging winds, blowing dust and the chance of flash flooding, the weather service warned. Sudden rains running off hard-baked surfaces can quickly fill normally dry washes.

Already this week, the overnight low at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport fell under 90 F (32.2 C) for the first time in 16 days, finally giving residents some respite from the stifling heat once the sun goes down.

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If humans dont develop some sort of efficient carbon capture in the next 30-40 years, we may not make it to 2100

Making it to 2100 wasn’t part of my life plan anyhow 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If humans dont develop some sort of efficient carbon capture in the next 30-40 years, we may not make it to 2100

I actually have hope but not hope we will go back to the way it was but that we will avoid extinction. 

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Already this week, the overnight low at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport fell under 90 F (32.2 C) for the first time in 16 days, finally giving residents some respite from the stifling heat once the sun goes down.

Yes, because 89 is a huge respite from 90.

(Quoting the story, not atom)

You know it's fucking miserably hot when even my most batshit crazy friends and family have quit declaring, "Shut up with your commie bullshit, it's not that hot out right now...just part of a natural cycle in Texas."  We're all looking at the same tables.  12 of the 15 worst years have all happened in the last ~20-25 years.  It's almost a cumulative effect in some ways.  Kinda like the shit you ate and drank the last 10 years have had more of an effect on your overall health than the shit you ate and drank the first 10 years of your life.  Weird.  Then again, I was the only kid in my preschool class with a flask.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, troph said:

That’s actually the real danger - not cooling off at night and giving the earth a break. 

See, now you suckers should have let that hole in the ozone stay open so the heat could escape at night.

spacer.png

Maybe chlorofluorocarbons aren't so bad. 

• Rage+1 1