Bob Huggins firing watch

next2naus

On 6/20/2023 at 1:13 PM, Pancho said:

once again, this is how fans think. 

Name me 10-15 coaches over the last 20 years who have taken a job because they liked the outdoor recreation, the locale, etc.? Would you take the job at Florida International or at the university of San Diego because you liked that climate, locale, etc.?

My point is message boards think like a fan thinks. It’s evident when people on this board make fun of recruits going to aggy because “who wants to live in college station?!?!” When college station is nothing more than a Katy, Arlington, Round Rock really. 

Coaches mostly take jobs because it’s a step up from where they are and the believe they can win a NC there, not because of the locale. Now, could there be a coach (or have been a coach) that took a job because it was a “cool place to live”? Sure, I’m not saying it’s not absolutely false, but you’ve never seen or heard this from coaches—only fans.  Fans think like fans, not like college coaches or recruits. 

Exactly correct. It’s tiring of hearing how many badass coaches / recruits we were going to have because Austin was so great of a place to live. That’s not at all how the world works. 

They had to do that.

I don’t think there is any way a coach could leave his school now and take that job. It’s just too late in the summer for that. If a guy did, there is no way I, as a parent would listen to him talk of loyalty to his team if he were recruiting my son.

We’ll see how it works for the Hoopies.

• 2 weeks later...

"Specifically, Coach Huggins was involved in an incident in Pittsburgh that is now close to being fully resolved without charges"

WTF???  Didn't they find him passed out in a University vehicle with door open and a flat tire, and he didn't even know where he was or how he got there. He then proceeds to fail multiple sobriety tests and  blow a .21? How the fuck does he not get charged for all that bullshit? Of course, the entire letter is full of questionable claims so who knows. But come on Pittsburgh, don't let this fat fuck, piece of shit off the hook for this one.

Also, here's the university response. There appears to be multiple lawyers circling Huggins bloated corpse, trying to dry hump it for some legal fees. But what else would you expect from lawyers.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Perfect response. And probably cheaper than going to court over his resignation.

The decision makers there are not the brightest in my experience

6 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So it seems like Huggins' situation has progressed from unfortunate addiction to full-blown mental health issue.

Enabled by his family and others close to him I'm sure

It would seem that if Huggins retained Lewis Brisbois they would have asked him about his other representation and where that stood. It is such a bizarre difference in positions. If Huggy had formal representation who was discussing terms of the resignation only a few days before this letter, seems pretty obvious that he doesn't have a real argument. Also, he fucked up, like big time, what a horrible message to send to players. I'm morbidly curious what happened here. 

On 7/9/2023 at 10:42 AM, Horn80 said:

Heads should roll for this hot mess.

WVU is a shitshow in general at the moment. The university just put 48% of academic programs "under review" for downsizing or termination. A lot of people are going to lose jobs there and the university itself is going to be even more of a joke than it is now.

I'm glad I left Motown years ago

Edited by MotownHorn
Motown reference

9 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

This move has the enabling daughter written all over it. Doesn't she lose a no-show gravy job too?

Not sure if she lost her job. But yes it's clear that he's a severely ill alcoholic and the people around him are making things worse instead of better. It's a sad situation.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

But that statement wasn't signed, either, so how do we know it's from Huggy Bear?

LoL what a fucking bizarre end to a career.

At this point, you just fire him and wipe your hands clean. He’s the one who ruined his legacy and now he’s trying to torch the school by reneging on his resignation. 

So let me get this straight…his regular attorney is progressing through the needed steps to make sure he can receive all of his deferred compensation and retirement package due to him being retired, while his new other labor attorney realizes that since his reputation is already destroyed they are now going to try and leverage a forced negotiated buyout (even though most likely he could be fired for cause) by hiding behind his addiction and a potential interpretation of the process which could have a greater potential value than the retirement package?

So worst case he retired and gets his package, best case he gets a buyout that will be more $$ and probably a negotiated version of his retirement package and only at the cost of attorney fees and any goodwill left from the people of WV and the university? Does Huggy real hate WVU deep down or is he broke and needs $$ more than a legacy?

Why don’t they just instead fire him for cause and take the bad PR at this point? They have already let this out for public consumption so why should WVU deal with this asshole unless he knows where some major skeletons are buried.

According to my friends in Motown the rumor around town is he has early onset dementia

It would explain his recent behavior but seems a little too convenient. I’m going with the simplest explanation…he’s an old rich asshole who is not used to taking accountability for his actions 

37 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

According to my friends in Motown the rumor around town is he has early onset dementia

It would explain his recent behavior but seems a little too convenient. I’m going with the simplest explanation…he’s an old rich asshole who is not used to taking accountability for his actions 

I've heard similar rumblings. It honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point but If I had to go out on a limb i'd guess that it is a combination of reasons. He always struck me as the type of guy who spent so much time soaking up the praise for the legitimately good things he was doing for the university that he thought he was untouchable. I transferred from WVU almost 15 years ago and even back then the Huggy worship was intense. It also doesn't help that he's butted heads with Gee (who is a total shitbag in his own right) pretty much since day 1.

Edited by ITHorn

Heavy alcohol abuse and dementia are two peas in a pickled pod and start out as a pretty tight venn diagram of symptoms before the dementia effectively neutralizes the alcohol impact. I would be shocked if a man that consumes alcohol the way he has for the past 40 years didn't have some brain damage.

• Like 2