221 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you wear a watch?

• almost daily usage
    • Once or twice a week
    • Only for dressier occasions/ nice dinners/ events
    • More than 10 years ago
    • Muledick

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Gruen mechanical watch that keeps haphazard time. Old band wore out so my wife went to a leather repair shop and had them fabricate a 2" wide leather strap with some basic tooling and my initial on it. Looks like something from a Billy Jack movie. Might save my life in a knife fight.

Fuckin a!

Needs to be a separate voting option for smart watches. 

Every day for the last 40 years or so. I don't like being beholden to my fucking phone. Way too much of that going on these days.

Billy Jack in 2023 | John dwayne, Tom laughlin, Actors

Edited by Steel Shank
edited to add cool pic of RDCanecutter in action!
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

When I got out of law school and made more money than I deserved, my only real splurge was a Cartier watch that cost about $1,500. Incredibly nice watch, but a ridiculously stupid purchase. I haven’t worn it with any regularity since 2002, and never got another one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Every day.  Apple Watch.  Vibrates in morning when alarm goes off without disturbing gf.  Pay for shit.  Sets timers while cooking.  Fitness tracker while surfing or biking.  Phone is on silent and watch vibrates when I get notifications.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I catch hell for this, but you know what my timer is for cooking?

"I put that shit in there at 6:50, I need to check it again at 7:10."

Yes, even while we had young children.

The timer bullshit was one of my wife's main ( attempted) selling points for an Alexa in the kitchen.   Yeah, we don't need that shit.

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

I catch hell for this, but you know what my timer is for cooking?

"I put that shit in there at 6:50, I need to check it again at 7:10."

Yes while we had young children.

Timer broken on your range?

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Timer broken on your range?

Nope.  I just don't use it. Look at the clock and make mental note.

Now let's discuss the eleventy billion features and notifications I turn off on virtually every ap and program I use.

Wait.  Maybe that's a different thread.   I just don't like the constant interruption.  One of the things I have disliked about 'in-person' meetings coming back is the barrage of the different dings and beeps for everyone needing gratification...um...instant updates/ notifications on shit.

Here's a fucking hint:  It ain't that fucking important.

Edited by slorch

I have two.   An old Omega that I wear if I am wearing a tie, and a cheap Seiko that I wear if I am leaving the house in something resembling business attire.   I can honestly go back and forth on my appreciation of watches. On one hand, I appreciate the craftsmanship, on the other hand, it feels like a waste of money.

3 Nixons, 3 Siekos. One fit bit. I wear one everyday.
Basic Nixon for every day use, easy to read display not that I have the eyes of a late 40s dude. I can track time on site visits with hard stops without getting distracted. (My clients with Apple watches drive me nuts as they check time, get texts and then get distracted and are not present in short order. I can check time in the middle of the night without a screen waking me up fully. I have daily alarms so I can pivot from meditation in AM to work. Timer for gym workouts without looking at my phone. I also try to strictly limit screen time on weekends so a watch is essential.

Nixon surf watch with tide charts for fishing and surfing trips.

The other watches rotate in depending on mood and level of dress.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

3 Nixons, 3 Siekos. One fit bit. I wear one everyday.
Basic Nixon for every day use, easy to read display not that I have the eyes of a late 40s dude. I can track time on site visits with hard stops without getting distracted. (My clients with Apple watches drive me nuts as they check time, get texts and then get distracted and are not present in short order. I can check time in the middle of the night without a screen waking me up fully. I have daily alarms so I can pivot from meditation in AM to work. Timer for gym workouts without looking at my phone. I also try to strictly limit screen time on weekends so a watch is essential.

Nixon surf watch with tide charts for fishing and surfing trips.

The other watches rotate in depending on mood and level of dress.

Loved the Nixon watches 

image.thumb.jpeg.c80707511fdca8f02de7f7d3f6415e27.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

I have an Omega I wear daily and have for 25 years. I bought an early version of the Apple Watch but found that I couldn’t really see it that well without putting on a pair of readers, so it lost a bunch of its utility. I wear it when I exercise. 

The Onega is a stainless divers watch so kinda casual anyway. 

I have a nice little collection of Omegas from the late 50s and 60s.  They get most of the use.  There are others from the 70s and 80s that make it out occasionally as well.  I just like the way the look better than the newer stuff sizewise.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I have a nice little collection of Omegas from the late 50s and 60s.  They get most of the use.  There are others from the 70s and 80s that make it out occasionally as well.  I just like the way the look better than the newer stuff sizewise.

Have you ever shared those on the watch thread? Would love to see those.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wear a Seiko diver every day, right now on a NATO strap. Works in most situations.

It like how it looks and I like the mechanical nature. And as others have mentioned— it looks far less sloppy and classier in meetings and other situations to keep track of how time is going. Especially if I have back to back engagements that I have to keep on the rails, it’s just so much easier to glance at the watch than look like I need to see Twitter or my latest email.

I don’t have strong feeling for or against smart watches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

wear one pretty much everyday since i was a teenager.  i glance down for the time multiple times during the day, and its much more convenient than hunting for the phone. most useful complication is a date window, or a multi-timezone option for traveling.  never use chronograph or bezel-timers. 

IMG_1728.JPEG

• Hook 'Em 7

I generally wear a watch everyday because I'm not a loser who is constantly on their phone or always pulling it out. It's much easier to glance at a watch to check the time anyhow. I'm pretty rough on watches. They might last a year before the crystal gets completely scratched up, so I usually don't wear anything super nice.

• Hook 'Em 1

Have worn an Apple watch for the past 6 years. Thing is running really slow now and probably needed an upgrade. Things I love about it are it forces me to think about standing up at least once an hour and walking around since it props you at every 50th minute to stand for 1 minute if you already haven't that hour. I also like seeing my messages on it and not having to open up my phone. Great for sports watching so I can not pull the phone out during a game, TV show, or movie. 

Nearly every day for the last 40 years or so.

I have a few mechanicals still (nothing collectible or particularly valuable) but I picked up my first Apple watch in May 2015, and have never looked back.  I have 3 Apple watches now (nerd talk incoming) and use them for different things (yard work, etc).  You can pair up to 5 watches to an iPhone, but only one can be worn at a time.  To switch between watches, just take one off, put it on a charger, and put another on---all the data from the day is still intact, etc.

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

This one pretty much every day. a57b6f24bc0b83374f8dc5b7b6b87de9.jpg
Don’t care much for apple or fitness watches.

Does it tell time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

All day, every day.  Either nicer dive/dress watches like my Seamaster or Portugieser, or daily which is a Garmin smartwatch that I use to track basically everything:  sleep, steps, stress, heart rate, distance/time, etc.  

6 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

39 years ago I got my first  job in the big city of Houston.  $6/hr + overtime + an office + wear dress clothes.  I treated myself to a Cartier Santos to celebrate the milestone.  I still wear it every day.  

Nice - I basically did the same thing with my first Omega.  Still have it.  Will never part with it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i have a bunch of watches i want to sell

chicken to go in to the watch lovers thread

i have a tag heuer from '84 that is likely worth something per ebay

the others are coach, swatch, etc.

any watch collectors that wont flame an amateur seller, pm me

I ventured in there years ago and got flamed for discussing my Seamaster. It's a fucking weird thread full of weird people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, F250 said:

I ventured in there years ago and got flamed for discussing my Seamaster. It's a fucking weird thread full of weird people.

I’ve seen some of that there.  I don’t get it.  Different strokes for different folks.  Love me some watches though.  

• Hook 'Em 4