2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

First 5 years as a P5 coach:

6-5-1 (L - Independence)

6-6 (L - Sun)

7-5 (L - Aloha)

6-6 No Bowl

9-2 Left before bowl win.

That guy went on to have a pretty decent rest of career at the next two P5s that had better resources and recruiting draw than the first stop. It's not how you start, it's how you finish. Just keep building the machine. Personally, I'm more than willing to endure a few seasons of near miss heartbreak if the climb eventually reaches the pinnacle. Time will tell the tale.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Yes, I think so. The roster he inherited was not his fault. The injuries to an already thin roster were not his fault. If you look at the things he was responsible for -- recruiting, developing, and retaining talent, and winning the winnable games -- he has done well. I wouldn't say perfect, but well.

• Hook 'Em 7

26 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Yes, I think so. The roster he inherited was not his fault. The injuries to an already thin roster were not his fault. If you look at the things he was responsible for -- recruiting, developing, and retaining talent, and winning the winnable games -- he has done well. I wouldn't say perfect, but well.

If you watched the Oklahoma St and TCU games last year and thought, this head coach is doing well in all aspects of head coaching, I’m not sure what to say. But he’s done an incredible job of accumulating talent, no doubt about that. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

If you watched the Oklahoma St and TCU games last year and thought, this head coach is doing well in all aspects of head coaching, I’m not sure what to say. But he’s done an incredible job of accumulating talent, no doubt about that. 

I think you're splitting hairs. OP didn't say Sark was perfect. He's made mistakes. But overall, I'm happy with how he did in year 2. He should have beaten Alabama. We pulverized 0u. All losses within one possession. Let's see if he builds on it in year 3.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

No shit. Tommy Tuberville and Gene Chizic and Ed Orgeron have won national championships. You can't convince me that those men are such masterful field generals/tacticians.

Tubberville? I'd almost forgotten that one until Yormark reminded us that he won it while he was at Tech.

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:

dave chappelle sandwich GIF

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

First 5 years as a P5 coach:

6-5-1 (L - Independence)

6-6 (L - Sun)

7-5 (L - Aloha)

6-6 No Bowl

9-2 Left before bowl win.

That guy went on to have a pretty decent rest of career at the next two P5s that had better resources and recruiting draw than the first stop. It's not how you start, it's how you finish. Just keep building the machine. Personally, I'm more than willing to endure a few seasons of near miss heartbreak if the climb eventually reaches the pinnacle. Time will tell the tale.

This is the college football version of Godwin’s Law rearing its head like clockwork. The longer a college football discussion about head coaches continues, the likelihood of a comparison to Nick Saban trends towards 1.000. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is the college football version of Godwin’s Law rearing its head like clockwork. The longer a college football discussion about head coaches continues, the likelihood of a comparison to Nick Saban trends towards 1.000. 

Bingo. 

Charlie Strong just needed more time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Holy shit, the is the Fall Camp thread, not the “Let Me Give Everyone My Hot Take on Steve Sarkisian, Because I’m The Only One Who Knows The Real Truth” thread. Please use the many Sark threads to ruminate, or fire up the DeLorean, type in 1998 and go to Blogger and find a proper home for your brilliance.

Meanwhile, Burton has IT for his hot takes, and here’s the latest he’s sharing:

Reveal hidden contents

Game week is here.

And the Longhorns were getting ready to go yesterday.

The team held a mock game, complete with kickoffs, down and distance scenarios, a halftime, and more.

What do I mean by “and more”?

A little pre-game video was in store.

The Horns watched the Texas Tech pep rally prior to getting out on the field.

I guess we should thank the Big 12 commissioner for providing a little extra motivation and focus heading into next Saturday and the season.

He’s a genius! 😉

A couple of Longhorn players have been battling illness the past few weeks. It seems like a little summer flu went through a couple of folks in the locker room.

Steve Sarkisian said Xavier Worthy was held out of practice a couple of days early last week. Worthy wasn’t the only one who missed practice time being under the weather.

We won’t name names here but better to happen now than during the season.

As Gerry Hamilton has pointed out, the loss of Mo Blackwell for the first few games of the season may be slightly bigger than some realize.

While his absence definitely impacts the versatility of the defense, it’s Blackwell’s standout play on special teams that could be missed even more.

We wish Mo nothing but a speedy recovery, and hope the timeline of being back for the start of conference play stands.

Rice Owls. T-minus six days.

Agree. But given that our administration has turbo fucked us with shit hires for the last decade, you can hardly blame folks for not worrying about the new living room rug we bought this fall, but instead coming back to the giant fucking elephant standing on it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Agree. But given that our administration has turbo fucked us with shit hires for the last decade, you can hardly blame folks for not worrying about the new living room rug we bought this fall, but instead coming back to the giant fucking elephant standing on it.  

200.gif

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

So you agree that this thread isn't for bitching about Sarkisian and decided to solve that problem by instead bitching about Sarkisian, Herman, and Strong. 

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Nebraska got lucky with Matt Rhule falling into their lap. Was hoping he could be the successor to Sark if we are unable to convince Urban to come out of retirement.

He's unkempt and a drinker. I don't see that playing well the CEO aspects of the Texas job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Nebraska got lucky with Matt Rhule falling into their lap. Was hoping he could be the successor to Sark if we are unable to convince Urban to come out of retirement.

This boards cuckish obsession with under dog coaches is obnoxious. Rhule is very much a Leach, Gundy, Patterson style coach they only work if they are the underdog, their whole shtick doesn’t work at a top tier program with elite recruiting. Rhule would be a disaster at Texas and Nebraska hiring him is them waving the flag of being a permanent 9-3 10-2 team that will never challenge the OSU/UM/PSU B1G contenders.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

This boards cuckish obsession with under dog coaches is obnoxious. Rhule is very much a Leach, Gundy, Patterson style coach they only work if they are the underdog, their whole shtick doesn’t work at a top tier program with elite recruiting. Rhule would be a disaster at Texas and Nebraska hiring him is them waving the flag of being a permanent 9-3 10-2 team that will never challenge the OSU/UM/PSU B1G contenders.

Don’t forget the obsession with Traylor 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

9-3/10-2 would be amazing. Sark has never done it 

In the last 3 drafts NFL teams have selected 111 corners and 60 safeties. I could do 1st and 2nd day picks also to further belittle the idea that moving to safety for one season would somehow "improve [Watts] draft stock"

Watts is an NFL corner, and not a safety. Gtfo with the Ian Boyd shit

You seem to feel very strongly about this. I would think that If his speed is a disadvantage at cb then his length and coverage skill would be an advantage at safety. Especially considering how the nfl wr seems to be trending more speedy vs big body.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i'm not sure thats correct.  didnt both herman and charlie have higher ranked recruiting classes than sark has had?

The difference is that Sarks classes have high OL/DL (both) and QB talent.

Stronk’s had DL talent.

Herman’s had skill position talent.

Sark’s classes seem well balanced 

or maybe I’m drinking the KoolAid

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

I think you're splitting hairs. OP didn't say Sark was perfect. He's made mistakes. But overall, I'm happy with how he did in year 2. He should have beaten Alabama. We pulverized 0u. All losses within one possession. Let's see if he builds on it in year 3.

Yep. Both QBs injured and a TD courtesy of no-call on holding. I was pleased how the team played that game.

• Hook 'Em 1

A difference between our team today and our team this time years past is that our “talent” is showing up to a much greater degree. We haven’t played a real down yet, but our roster to me appears to have far fewer of “unlikely to see the field” and “unfortunately will have to play this season.” We have OL that look promising and are developing. We have speed on both sides of the ball. We are cycling recruiting misses out the portal in exchange for apparent difference makers. To question whether this team is more talented than the Herman/strong ones is borderline complete inattention.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So Catalon gets hurt and you move Thompson to $ and the bring in taffe and then replace watts with brooks bringing someone, either Holmes or Muhammad, in to backfill brooks?

I’m not sure why watts needs to be benched because a safety gets hurt.

I was referring to your scenario of moving watts to safety. There's been plenty of reports (and could be seen in game play) that Brooks is physical enough to play boundary. In such a scenario, I'd rather get holmes to the field side, and have Manny backup both as CB3.

5 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Watts is an NFL corner, and not a safety. Gtfo with the Ian Boyd shit

Definitely agree here. I never bought in to watts having to be a safety at the next level after watching him last season. Sure, he may not be the fastest corner playing football but his length and physical play make up for what he lacks in speed. 

Our upside with Sark is greater than Herman, but I can’t help but think NIL/under the table payments heavily skews the recruiting to Sarks advantage. And that might be a sizeable advantage.

Thus far only Banks has come through with actual production from Sarks OL/DL commits.

Murphy/Sorrell committed to Herman, right? Ojomo, Coburn, Sweat, Collins. Thornton and Ovie were Sark guys.

It’s early in those guys careers, but they haven’t done much yet.

4 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I was referring to your scenario of moving watts to safety. There's been plenty of reports (and could be seen in game play) that Brooks is physical enough to play boundary. In such a scenario, I'd rather get holmes to the field side, and have Manny backup both as CB3.

Babers said it appears the guys Texas is reccruiting are versatile guys at corner and guys that can play either side. That is what makes Brooks/Muhammed so good and even Wilson.

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Our upside with Sark is greater than Herman, but I can’t help but think NIL/under the table payments heavily skews the recruiting to Sarks advantage. And that might be a sizeable advantage.

Herman would be fucked even with NIL....he had everyone hating him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Thus far only Banks has come through with actual production from Sarks OL/DL commits.

Murphy/Sorrell committed to Herman, right? Ojomo, Coburn, Sweat, Collins. Thornton and Ovie were Sark guys.

It’s early in those guys careers, but they haven’t done much yet.

DJ Campbell will start this season. Looks pretty good Neto will do the same. Cam Williams is our starting RT if Jones didn’t come back for a 6th year.

But yes, the jury is definitely out for the DL. 

• Hook 'Em 1