The 2023 Republican Debate thread

Bullneck

I think we’d do well to remember that Elon has Asperger Syndrome. He should be expected to 

• Have Inappropriate social interactions
  • Conversations that almost always revolve around themselves or a certain topic, rather than others
  • Have An intense obsession with one or two specific, narrow subjects
  • Becoming upset at any small changes in routines
  • Memorizing preferred information and facts easily
  • Difficulty managing emotions, sometimes leading to verbal or behavioral outbursts, self-injurious behaviors or tantrums
  • Not understanding other peoples’ feelings or emotions
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

What were you expecting?  Honest question.

dating app GIF

kidding, well, kinda sorta. I fully expect to lose and was hoping for some kind of Hail Mary. Vivek is being pushed on me but he expects to abolish the FBI? Give me a break, he ain’t it. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Satchel said:

I think we’d do well to remember that Elon has Asperger Syndrome. He should be expected to 

• Conversations that almost always revolve around themselves or a certain topic, rather than others
  • Difficulty managing emotions, sometimes leading to verbal or behavioral outbursts, self-injurious behaviors or tantrums

Ass-burgers GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 2

I didn't see the clown show last night, but after watching some clips and reading the pundits, it seems like Haley was the "winner," Rhonda's performance will result in a further slide down the polls, and everyone else is there to plug whatever future book they write.  Am I close?

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

I noticed this as well and laughed.

He's an alien in a skin suit.

Prove me wrong!

He's got a gorgeous set of ears, though. Like a mighty African bush elephant, emerging from a stand of stinkwoods along the banks of the majestic Limpopo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Satchel said:

sounds alot like desantis

27 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I didn't see the clown show last night, but after watching some clips and reading the pundits, it seems like Haley was the "winner," Rhonda's performance will result in a further slide down the polls, and everyone else is there to plug whatever future book they write.  Am I close?

i'd agree with this.  haley seemed the most reasonable.  if i were a republican she'd be getting my vote.

14 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I think you saw exactly what the Republican party is today. An intellectually dishonest party without any actual principles.

Yeah I will vote for a convicted felon, because... I can pretend intellectually that for Donald Trump and Trump alone, is a "victim."  It's a pretend fantasy world, that must be lived in from top to bottom of the party.  With the notable exceptions of Hutchinson and Christie.

Intellectually... oops, I know, I know, intellect is a very, very dangerous thing according to today's Republicans, but intellectually most of the arguments I heard made last night would have been shredded in my Freshman year ethics(?) class, in that the basic premises of their foundational arguments are simply falsehoods. The single exception was Haley actually admitting that grotesque spending by the Trump Administration gleefully expanding the national debt by an unheard of percentage was the real culprit.

I could go on and on.  But to me it seem that the single foundational necessity to being able to be a "Good Republican" is a whole hearted embrace of intellectual dishonestly.  Even worse, every one up on that stage, knows they are being intellectually dishonest, but they know it's now a requirement to be a "good Republican."  And honestlym that is why we find ourselves at one of the single most dangerous points in time in our democracy.  Simply as when you can knowing embrace lies, then you can lie about anything, And without truth, a country built on foundation of lies, has a very, very weak foundation indeed.

this is 100% on point, I'd say Christie (with whom I would not agree on over half of his policies) is at least acting like an adult. He's been consistent for years on his points. Haley said some smart things to try and distance herself from the pack but (1) she'll likely say anything, and (2) she distanced herself out of contention on abortion (moderate), and blaming republicans and trump for the debt (how dare you). Hutchinson was the third that sounded like an adult.

The rest are ideologues who spout half backed shit to get a WWE crowd response.

Just now, thrillhammer said:

i'd agree with this.  haley seemed the most reasonable.  if i were a republican she'd be getting my vote.

When I read that she didn't deny climate change and urged that women and doctors should not be thrown in jail for abortions, I thought somebody might have roofied her.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sounds like Hutchinson and Burgum didn’t even show up. Other than not raising his hand to say he’d vote for Trump even if convicted, I never heard anyone mention Hutchinson. And while I haven’t spent quite an hour listening to recaps, I never heard anyone mention Burgum’s name even once.

And sure enough, Mike Pence raised his hand. Trump’s supporters were chanting “Hang Mike Pence!” on Jan 6. Mike had to flee for his safety. He’s admitted that Trump put him and his family in danger. He says there are better candidates than Trump. But of course he’ll vote for Trump again even after he’s convicted for his crimes. A guy who agreed with the mob that wanted to kill him. I don’t know if there’s a suitable word to describe what a spineless, cowardly little lowlife Mike Pence is. Sure, way to do your job like the Constitution demands that one time. Good for you. But Jesus Christ, Mike. Grow a pair. Unreal. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And sure enough, Mike Pence raised his hand. Trump’s supporters were chanting “Hang Mike Pence!” on Jan 6. Mike had to flee for his safety. He’s admitted that Trump put him and his family in danger. He says there are better candidates than Trump. But of course he’ll vote for Trump again even after he’s convicted for his crimes. A guy who agreed with the mob that wanted to kill him. I don’t know if there’s a suitable word to describe what a spineless, cowardly little lowlife Mike Pence is. Sure, way to do your job like the Constitution demands that one time. Good for you. But Jesus Christ, Mike. Grow a pair. Unreal. 

That's awful.  Was Mother in the audience?

• Haha 1

Speaking of bush

I fear that all that effort to get onto the debate stage was in vain. Because while Burgum certainly made an impression on the country, the entirety of that impression was: eyebrows. I doubt a significant portion of the viewership can tell you anything else about him after watching besides eyebrows. In the same way that in the Barbie movie, Ken’s job is beach, no one would blink an eye if you told them that Burgum’s job is eyebrows. His political positions? Also eyebrows. And his record? You guessed it: eyebrows.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, South Austin said:

When I read that she didn't deny climate change and urged that women and doctors should not be thrown in jail for abortions, I thought somebody might have roofied her.

exactly.  and she blamed republicans for spending and the debt.  brought up that there were more gop earmarks than the dems.  wow!

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I am not really sure what any of this means or the related iconography, but if it involves a decapitated neocon it is probably a good start. 

image.thumb.png.40d68dfaa2cedfd8d6dc4c9d4f2aa58b.png

It's wrong. That's not Indra. That's the mother/death goddess Kali, the devourer of time, tormenting humanity. Indra is not blue, has two arms (usually), and is depicted with the Vajra. 

image.thumb.png.783e33e201321f97d5a9f023ed23e01c.png

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

now that vivek has garnered some attention, i suspect we will start hearing all about intepirdine and axovant.

if anyone else on that stage was not a completely shameless clown, they would have strategically played to the maga olds by pressing him on his investment in and defense of martin shkreli and his "victimless crimes" instead of playing the he's inexperienced/not a politician card that is so effective amongst republican cult of trump members.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, sidis said:

now that vivek has garnered some attention, i suspect we will start hearing all about intepirdine and axovant.

if anyone else on that stage was not a completely shameless clown, they would have strategically played to the maga olds by pressing him on his investment in and defense of martin shkreli and his "victimless crimes" instead of playing the he's inexperienced/not a politician card that is so effective amongst republican cult of trump members.

They probably smartly didn't attack his insane beliefs in conspiracy theories as that would endear him to Republican voters. 

10 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Did y’all see Rhonda’s nonhuman attempt at a smile at the end of his first screed?  

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

The Office Thank You GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

I noticed this as well and laughed.

He's an alien in a skin suit.

Prove me wrong!

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

image.jpeg.b4a37cc24d8a39536e8a2b4a5b2a1838.jpeg

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

dating app GIF

kidding, well, kinda sorta. I fully expect to lose and was hoping for some kind of Hail Mary. Vivek is being pushed on me but he expects to abolish the FBI? Give me a break, he ain’t it. 

Maybe....just maybe....you should consider that you're reaching a point of realization that a shitload of people around here figured out a while back.....

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

I think you saw exactly what the Republican party is today. An intellectually dishonest party without any actual principles.

...this is what they realized.  Even the "the cruelty is the point" isn't an actual principle.  It's just a gimmick, used to fire up the worst of our base impulses as a people, who first and foremost, want government to HURT the people they want to hurt.  Remember the complaint "he's hurting the wrong people?"  That's the essence of the party now.  It is nothing but a self-sustaining outrage machine, and the only "accomplishments" it can point to are those that harm someone/some out group.

54 minutes ago, South Austin said:

She is an apostate, and will be thrown out of the cult for that.  Seriously, there is no room in the cult for any apostate beliefs.  And yes, the GQP is a full-on cult now.  There is no room for non-cult members.

People like Poe should pay attention to that.  Keep feeding the Leopards Eating People's Faces party, and sooner or later, the leopards will eat YOUR face.  It's a matter of "when," not "if."  The cruelty machine must be fed.  It will never be fully satiated, so faces will continue to be eaten.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's the essence of the party now.  It is nothing but a self-sustaining outrage machine, and the only "accomplishments" it can point to are those that harm someone/some out group.

This.  Distilled essence of today’s GOP expressed perfectly. 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

You gotta put your dumb hat on.

CNN's poll of Republican debate watchers on who "won" -

7 votes for Vivek
2 votes for Rhonda
4 votes for Nikki
2 said nobody (i.e., we all lose, good day)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

7 votes for Vivek
2 votes for Rhonda
4 votes for Nikki

From what I understand, that tracks with "who sucked Trump's dick the hardest."  Meaning that the only important metric of leadership for Republican voters is "how Trumpy can you be?"  And of course....nobody can beat Trump in the Trumpiness department.

I wonder how much longer it will take the remaining supposedly "sane" GQP voters to realize that by continuing to support the GQP, they are just cult members.  Probably too long.  If they haven't figured out the obvious by now, they don't have the cognitive chops to ever reach that conclusion.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

7 votes for Vivek
2 votes for Rhonda
4 votes for Nikki

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

From what I understand, that tracks with "who sucked Trump's dick the hardest." 

Yeah, this tells us everything we need to know about the party from here to November 2024 (and the foreseeable future). 

Silly me for thinking Nikki Haley might be a signal of some not-so-batshit-crazy movement in the Republican Party.

Edited by South Austin

Vivek is so clearly using the Trump playbook both in his strategy and his debate tactics, he should be paying a royalty.  Like I said above, he's the ultimate one spectaculary exit tech bro that assumes because he built one good company he can do anything and that every single one of his "ideas" is executable and possible because he's him.  But he also knows what to say to get cheers and the stupids excited.  

My only concern with that guy is he gets momentum for 2028.  Although I think he can get ground up by the GOP in a way Trump couldn't.  

I know we've been in a topsy-turvy world for a while now, but think about how strange it is that we had a primary debate and most of the candidates decided to stand around praising the front runner. And then voters polled afterward agreed with that strategy.

It's basically the exact opposite of what normally happens during these things, and what conventional wisdom says that contenders should do.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I wonder how much longer it will take the remaining supposedly "sane" GQP voters to realize that by continuing to support the GQP, they are just cult members.  Probably too long.  If they haven't figured out the obvious by now, they don't have the cognitive chops to ever reach that conclusion.

There aren't any sane GQP voters anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Vivek is so clearly using the Trump playbook both in his strategy and his debate tactics, he should be paying a royalty.  Like I said above, he's the ultimate one spectaculary exit tech bro that assumes because he built one good company he can do anything and that every single one of his "ideas" is executable and possible because he's him.  But he also knows what to say to get cheers and the stupids excited.  

My only concern with that guy is he gets momentum for 2028.  Although I think he can get ground up by the GOP in a way Trump couldn't.  

It's already cliche to say so, but I think there's a sizeable chunk of the Trump coalition that will just never get excited about a Hindu guy named Vivek Ramaswamy. They'd choose him overwhelmingly in polls against a Democrat, but would they actually turn out in droves to vote for the guy?

edit: I just read the guy's Wikipedia article and his business career sounds like a fucking joke. His company doesn't do shit and has never made a profit. It seems like he got rich by fooling other, even richer people into investing a lot of money in smoke and mirrors. Good for him, I guess.

Edited by tokamak