Coffee City, Texas: 250 people and 50 police officers

Pancho

So, it seems that chief A) hires and swears in reserve officers, who now because they have a badge can B) provide security services for things like apartment complexes in Houston for side money, and C) possibly kick back some of that side money as grift to the chief.

Sound about right?

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

That is one of the most insane city limit maps I have ever seen, even on a Texas scale.  We want to tax you, we don't want to provide any services to all this area, we want to tax you...

Man, you ain't kidding.

image.thumb.png.ae8d816c5739ed786da6bfeb78a489f0.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

No surprise to see “package store” at the end of that covered road.  Though I rarely hear that term used in Texas for liquor stores. 

and yeah, those guys didn’t lose their peace officer license for their transgression, so he throws them onto a reserve duty roster and they don’t do any regular policing but get in on the security and traffic direction money- and probably have to compensate that chief. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

13 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Go to fucking Claude Texas if you want to see speed trap flawlessness. 287 out of Amarillo and they’ll have 20 cars on the side of the road. I have been one of them.
Back then they carried a credit card knuckle buster if you wanted to plea out next to a ditch.

Estelline

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Is there a way to pull the stats about CC's police department without going through FOIA?

Their June 2022 dated forward budget only shows 6 officers and 2 managers/administrators.  (And 6 police cars to match)

https://www.cityofcoffeecity.com/uploads/cms/nav-24-632e23bec241f.pdf

image.png.b864b7c7af0dc2f164381b50ba3e3e9c.png

And how does the fine sharing work?  The court does project $1M of income  (assumed all traffic related), but almost all of it has to be shared with the state?

image.png.a39bd92aa04ee7741881bb2a331866e2.png

current budget shows same size police force with the court financials halved

https://www.cityofcoffeecity.com/uploads/cms/nav-24-64e507c79f679.pdf

Edited by 52-80

21 hours ago, bolverk said:

Man, you ain't kidding.

image.thumb.png.ae8d816c5739ed786da6bfeb78a489f0.png

looks like they also go out of their way to annex as much lake shore as they can most likely for property tax purposes. Live one block off the shore, you might save a few bucks in taxes but I bet your govt services are much less.

You would think that while the city officials want the valuable land in their tax rolls, they would begrudgingly take on the lower tax valuations areas as well because of how it would look.

But then again maybe those outside-the-city-limits areas are happy to not be under the control of a city that operates in this manner. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 8/30/2023 at 6:53 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Coffee City existed to sell booze to Tyler residents. Much of the city limits only border a highway for liquor stores. No surprise that they’ve transitioned to patrolling those highways for speeding.

I made many trips to Coffee City and Kilgore back in the day. Haven't lived in Tyler since it went wet, but I bet its safe to assume traffic has decreased significantly along those routes.

I travel up 155 to my dad’s in Tyler 2 or 3 times a month. When you come off the bridge across Ledbetter Bayheaded north, you damn sure better be 55mph or below or you’re gonna catch a ticket when you top the hill by the dollar stores. They are there every time, usually with a car pulled over.

I didn’t catch if the news report talked about when there were several big 8 liner game rooms in CC. Cars would be parked up and down 155 at the one next to Kilo’s and another place down by the dollar stores. I think the sheriff or the TX Rangers finally came in and it down. The place next to Kilo’s still sports a sign on the building.

ETA: RIP Foot’s Liquor Store. Follow your feet to Foot’s!

Any surprise that a town or 250 citizens is not run well and let’s their police chief so whatever he wants as long as traffic fine dollars keep rolling in? This town is smaller than almost any modern subdivision and we all know how crazy HOAs can be.

you probably cannot find many good police officers who would want to work for coffee city. A town should not exist to write traffic tickets. 

On 9/6/2023 at 7:47 AM, South Austin said:

Have you ever been to Rollingwood?

Pipe down, Michael Levy.

I have so many issues with them but our school patrol, though miles away from Rollingwood is covered several days a week by Rollingwood P.D. (we're in the City of Austin).  I suspect it's because they have a budget surplus and our campus has a serious need for protection.  So for now, I celebrate their entire catalogue.  But sometimes I cut through that neighborhood to save time when MoPac/Barton Springs are all jammed up and I drive with my asshole clenched because I'll see as many patrol cars as I do civilian cars in a 1-mile stretch.  They even zig-zag through those two parking garages off the access road just to burn fuel to meet their monthly expenditure baseline.  

Anyway, to Coffee City!  The Bill Brasky of police forces! 

22 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

the warrant division position was advertised as "you get $150 for every FTA you collect"

that's illegal

Tampering With a Government Document is also illegal: 

Man it must be nice to run a legal gang to run a racket on a city. You get a pension AND you can fuck over poor people! Truly the American dream