2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN

Pancho

3 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Because we broke them. Permanently. Bama fans will look back on this game as the one that signaled the end of an era. 

We had to wait until the end of our first season in our current conference to do this to Nebraska. Nice to see the go getter attitude of doing it almost 2 years earlier this time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Looked dope at the time, but it seems like QE could have made Worthy’s life much easier by throwing more towards the left with less air. Lot’s of field over there. But I could be off

Yeah but could he see the separation when he threw it?

i also notice on the Mitchell td that he throws it from the +45 to the goal line without a ton of effort. Shows you his arm strength, and hopefully means he can dial in his accuracy because those aren’t max effort heaves, even if he’s late letting it go. 

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

I disagree!!! Our secondary for the first time in a long time is sticky in coverage!!! Other than the Thompson TD every other catch was defended well. No WR was just running open wen we maned up. 

the secondary was the reason imo the d-line balled like they did and vice-versa. 
S/0 to the DBs unsung hero’s 

The secondary played well overall, but i still think deep middle is too soft. But when their receivers caught it they made us pay with separation speed. Bond is scary fast.

I actually felt like Milroe was the only bright spot on offense for Bama. They basically did not have a functional offense, Texas completely shut them down and they couldn't do anything. Whatever offense they managed came almost exclusively from Milroe making chicken salad. As a pure gamer scrambling QB, he's actually pretty good.

Their run game worked pretty well in the first half. Texas had to play some heavy fronts and rotate liberally in order to keep it contained. Most teams aren’t as well equipped to handle that as Texas is.

I think their offense will ultimately be fine with the power run game as the bread and butter and having Milroe’s ability to stretch the field vertically and hurt teams with his legs as X factors. Bama’s WRs were better than advertised here too, they’ll be able to get open against most teams. Certainly got the better of the Texas secondary on plenty of occasions.

I’d be more worried about their defense if I were a Bama fan. That secondary got abused, Texas dropping passes was their best back end defender.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I'm at church this morning, and I'm looking for that fine line between "positive" and "insufferable." And crossing it.

"It is such a beautiful day. It's so good to see you. You're looking PARTICULARLY wonderful today. Isn't today just the most wonderful day it could be?"

I'm getting strange looks.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm at church this morning, and I'm looking for that fine line between "positive" and "insufferable." And crossing it.

"It is such a beautiful day. It's so good to see you. You're looking PARTICULARLY wonderful today. Isn't today just the most wonderful day it could be?"

They're thinking, "Either he's a big Texas fan, or he's under the influence of strong narcotics."

Either way, they're on to you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

In hindsigh, Milroe is getting the blame for the lost but the whole O gets the blame. Some of it is on him, but we shut down their run and were getting pressure and sacks rushing only 4 and sometimes 3. No QB is going to have a great night with the D knowing you are going to have to throw, getting pressure without blitzing and dropping 7-8 into coverage.

Their receivers made some great catches.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

The sun is shining and it’s 66 degrees, and Texas just won a football game in Tuscaloosa. Could there be a better day?

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The sun is shining and it’s 66 degrees, and Texas just won a football game in Tuscaloosa. Could there be a better day?

I'm in San Diego, so most of these folks aren't even aware of what happened, nor the implications. I get a lot of, "and is that football?" when I explain. 🤣

OMG THE THEME FOR THE SERVICE TODAY IS TOO PERFECT

IMG_20230910_101610.thumb.jpg.c332e453d8ad30d59d4ac6eb46e39999.jpg

I'm all, "Losing? What's that?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Because we broke them. Permanently. Bama fans will look back on this game as the one that signaled the end of an era. 

It’s the end of an era for all of College football and likely the moment that will be looked at as the official start of the NIL era.  This was the best team of the past era in Alabama against an upstart that the NIL game favors in Texas — and the best team of the past era got its teeth kicked in.

There are going to be quite a few teams like Alabama that were able to be good in the past era but who become Nebraska in the new era.  Traditional power houses with a passionate fan base but who can’t compete with the NIL opportunities for players at places like Texas, USC, Notre Dame, etc…

• Like 1

Low key, Milroe would have been much better off in an offense like Herman’s where we can run some QB Power to get easy yardage. I was amazed they only ran a design for him once (the QB draw which got 10+) iirc. 

however, that might have been a function that the defense can load the box and dare him to throw it deep, like what we’ve seen for the past two years. 

It’s been said on here before last nights game, but Bama needs to implement the VY-‘05 season game plan of RPO and they’ll do fine the rest of the season. He does have the arm for the long ball, but his legs and running ability is his best asset. I’m glad they basically left him in the pocket last night.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Goredho said:

It’s the end of an era for all of College football and likely the moment that will be looked at as the official start of the NIL era.  This was the best team of the past era in Alabama against an upstart that the NIL game favors in Texas — and the best team of the past era got its teeth kicked in.

There are going to be quite a few teams like Alabama that were able to be good in the past era but who become Nebraska in the new era.  Traditional power houses with a passionate fan base but who can’t compete with the NIL opportunities for players at places like Texas, USC, Notre Dame, etc…

Serious question, which traditional powerhouses aren’t going to have the NIL to compete? Seems to me the traditional big boys are only going to get bigger and better. 

In hindsigh, Milroe is getting the blame for the lost but the whole O gets the blame. Some of it is on him, but we shut down their run and were getting pressure and sacks rushing only 4 and sometimes 3. No QB is going to have a great night with the D knowing you are going to have to throw, getting pressure without blitzing and dropping 7-8 into coverage.

They weathered the first pick. The second was a two receiver route. Not sure how many of those they ran, but that was a poor play call. Poor choice to throw obviously.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Serious question, which traditional powerhouses aren’t going to have the NIL to compete? Seems to me the traditional big boys are only going to get bigger and better. 

Just spitballing:  Nebraska, Florida State, Miami... smaller alumni bases, and (seemingly) fewer tech bros and oilmen.

In a pure suddenly-legal bidding war, even Bama might have a hard time vs Phil Knight's Ducks or big alumni bases like OSU, UT or Michigan.

Admittedly, this guess is based on nothing. 

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The more rational sooner fans up here are pretty worried that NIL + SEC + Crypt Keeper will send them on a Nebraska-esque slide.

Edited by Stilicho
  • Hook 'Em 1

He dropped a TD pass against Rice and maybe one against Bama. He made up for it later with some great running between the tackles but he needs to quit hurting the team on pass plays.

Two against Bama. The second one was dropped before the DB got close enough to bat it away.

3 possible TD passes. Just keep him out of the passing game in the endzone . He can run and catch screens all he wants fir us.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Just spitballing:  Nebraska, Florida State, Miami... smaller alumni bases, and (seemingly) fewer tech bros and oilmen.

In a pure suddenly-legal bidding war, even Bama might have a hard time vs Phil Knight's Ducks or big alumni bases like OSU, UT or Michigan.

Admittedly, this guess is based on nothing. 

None of those teams are really traditional powers imo.  Nebraska and 
Miami haven’t been relevant in the last 20 years.

Bama and the other traditional powers I don’t think are hurting for donors and NIL really. I just don’t see this massive shift in the landscape where upstarts come takeover for power schools.  

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Looked dope at the time, but it seems like QE could have made Worthy’s life much easier by throwing more towards the left with less air. Lot’s of field over there. But I could be off

Baby steps. He definitely improved his pocket poise and presence. I'll take that over missed shots downfield all night long.

• Hook 'Em 1

The dominance of the 4th quarter given the circumstances was just incredible. The players showed mental toughness at everyposition and the coaching staff actually adjusted and out-coached Saban in the second half. This is just such a different team then we have seen before. They are really realizing their potential.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Mrs. Brat’s Catholic priest - a former aggy - at the end of Mass this morning said, “I want to congratulate the Longhorns, they must have wanted to roll the Tide”. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mvlonghorns said:

We're #4 in the AP poll!

Even #2, ahead of FSU and Michigan, wouldn't have been a stretch.  UGA is the defending champ, so they get #1 until they lose it, but FSU and Texas are the only teams up top who have beaten anybody.  And we won against Alabama on the road.  FSU's win was basically a home game.

Edited by Hondo

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Rewatching this morning I saw a Brockermeyer (James on their FG unit). How many Texans get whooped by Texas last night? At least they'll have an Alabama degree to fall back on in the booming Alabama economy. With a couple of years of growth, Alabama has moved up to 47th out of 50 in GDP per capita. 

Alabama’s state motto is “Thank God for Mississsippi.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That was fun.

Mildly embarrassed this morning. We watched the game at some friends that are Alabama fans. I got pretty drunk and by the second half every time we scored I acted like I had two six shooters at the hip and fired at them like that Miami dude in the Cotton Bowl tunnel.

Oh well at least I didn’t pass out and shart myself. Next time.

What the fuck as it with all the balls bouncing off or through the hands? Had to be almost ten times.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

• immamac changed the title to 2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN