2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN

Pancho

The more rational sooner fans up here are pretty worried that NIL + SEC + Crypt Keeper will send them on a Nebraska-esque slide.

Proximity to DFW and all of North Texas means bloU will never fall too far off the cliff in recruiting. Of course the winning has to continue, and we'll have something to say about that in October.

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

I'm at church this morning, and I'm looking for that fine line between "positive" and "insufferable." And crossing it.

"It is such a beautiful day. It's so good to see you. You're looking PARTICULARLY wonderful today. Isn't today just the most wonderful day it could be?"

I'm getting strange looks.

Because you're speaking in tongues and handling the snake incorrectly?

image.png.2c25225b248bbcf9ce5b91b3a105133f.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

That was fun.

Mildly embarrassed this morning. We watched the game at some friends that are Alabama fans. I got pretty drunk and by the second half every time we scored I acted like I had two six shooters at the hip and fired at them like that Miami dude in the Cotton Bowl tunnel.

Oh well at least I didn’t pass out and shart myself. Next time.

What the fuck as it with all the balls bouncing off or through the hands? Had to be almost ten times.

My advice is to find better friends.

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

Sorry. I worded that poorly.  Is there anywhere you can listen to Craig Way replay.  I missed the game at work and have it on DVR but would love to listen to the Texas broadcast. 

Yes, I would love to listen to the Craig way call of this game. I'm surprised they don't archive them on the Texassports app. Would be a badass way to pass the time mowing the grass, long drives, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

This should be another thread, but I would turn the question around.  What schools are going to be able to compete with the potential NIL opportunities that will be negotiated for players from USC (Los Angeles market, no pro football team), Texas (Austin/Central Texas market, no pro football team) and Notre Dame (US Catholics)?

I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that a star player at USC, Texas or ND could make fuck you money from their NIL deals without ever going to the NFL.  I'm talking $10 million plus over their career at the collegiate level as a paid endorser.  That's possible for a player at USC pitching to the Los Angeles market.  I don't think that is going to be possible for a player at Alabama pitching to the Tuscaloosa market.  And there will be a lot more additional NIL money available in the Los Angeles market for other players at USC than in the Tuscaloosa market for the other players at Alabama.

Lots of teams have tradition, a rabid fanbase, a wealthy alumni base, a good TV contract and gobs of money to spend on a coach and his staff.  Not every such team also has a consumer market that will allow for massive NIL deals for players.  Those NIL opportunities are more and more going to decide where the top talent goes.  Its a whole new ball game, and one Texas is particularly well set up to compete in and one in which Alabama isn't.

LA has two pro teams

• Hook 'Em 4

That was fun.
Mildly embarrassed this morning. We watched the game at some friends that are Alabama fans. I got pretty drunk and by the second half every time we scored I acted like I had two six shooters at the hip and fired at them like that Miami dude in the Cotton Bowl tunnel.
Oh well at least I didn’t pass out and shart myself. Next time.
What the fuck as it with all the balls bouncing off or through the hands? Had to be almost ten times.

Fuck yeah!/ ron white dr phil boat story
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Fug said:

LA has two pro teams

The Los Angeles metro area has a population of 12,870,000 people.  The Tuscaloosa metro area has a population of 235,628 people.  That's a 54:1 ratio.  An effective pitchman in the LA market is going to command much more money than an effective pitchman in the Tuscaloosa market.

People shouldn't think of NIL as the legal way players to get paid for their play from the disposable income of wealthy alumni ala SMU.  They should think of NIL as a way for players to get paid as pitchmen by businesses out of their normal marketing budgets.  There are bigger businesses with bigger advertising budgets in LA that would be capable of paying Matt Lienart a lot more money to endorse their products and services than Tuscaloosa's relatively smaller businesses with smaller advertising budgets would be capable of paying Jalen Hurts to endorse their products and services.

Texas+Austin, USC+LA are going to be tough-to-beat combinations of NIL opportunity for players.  Its going to be hard for teams like Alabama to remain competitive for the talent they have traditionally garnered against these economic behemoths.  There's a reason Saban has railed against NIL, and its not because its effects favor him equally.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

The Los Angeles metro area has a population of 12,870,000 people.  The Tuscaloosa metro area has a population of 235,628 people.  That's a 54:1 ratio.  An effective pitchman in the LA market is going to command much more money than an effective pitchman in the Tuscaloosa market.

People shouldn't think of NIL as the legal way players to get paid for their play from the disposable income of wealthy alumni ala SMU.  They should think of NIL as a way for players to get paid as pitchmen by businesses out of their normal marketing budgets.  There are bigger businesses with bigger advertising budgets in LA that would be capable of paying Matt Lienart a lot more money to endorse their products and services than Tuscaloosa's relatively smaller businesses with smaller advertising budgets would be capable of paying Jalen Hurts to endorse their products and services.

Texas+Austin, USC+LA are going to be tough-to-beat combinations of NIL opportunity for players.  Its going to be hard for teams like Alabama to remain competitive for the talent they have traditionally garnered against these economic behemoths.  There's a reason Saban has railed against NIL, and its not because its effects favor him equally.

Ok, but your initial statement was very wrong

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that a star player at USC, Texas or ND could make fuck you money from their NIL deals without ever going to the NFL.

Think about what it'll do for basketball, baseball, etc. as well. Suddenly, one of the main reasons for going pro early is gone.

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Good for them! About time the students got to enjoy some big Ws.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I saw that image live - pretty fitting for the night, as they knew they had an uphill battle on their hands!

Hook’em!!!

There is another one where Quinn goes over to the Longhorn section after the victory and there is a lone Bama fan doing the Horns down in his face.

Perhaps all the learned minds can explain this puzzle to me:

The Texas/Bama game felt like such a big media event, with Alabama very visibly proud to show off their prestige to a program like Texas that they clearly respect.

With that in mind, how has Texas A&M been so terrible and non-impactful and STILL managed to generate so much derision and lack-of-respect from the other teams in the SEC?  

IMG-0925.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yep.  We are in 43-44 states.  But OK isn’t competitive.  We get whatever business we want.  Austin and LA are very competitive.  If we did NIL, that’s where the money goes.  Over time this will lead to big problems for smaller market schools imo.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep.  We are in 43-44 states.  But OK isn’t competitive.  We get whatever business we want.  Austin and LA are very competitive.  If we did NIL, that’s where the money goes.  Over time this will lead to big problems for smaller market schools imo.  

Yep, rules/regulations could change things.  But college football right now is a league without revenue sharing and no salary cap and a small # of schools in big markets that will be able to parley that into a significant talent advantage.

• immamac changed the title to 2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN