2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN

Pancho

17 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Man, how I've missed the days when we complained about being disrespected because someone didn't vote us higher than no. 7.  Surly is back. 

I don't have a problem with anybody thinking Texas is #7 as opposed to being in the top four. What I have a real issue with is voting Bama at 7 and Texas at 10 less than 72 hours after the Horns whipped Bama's ass in Tuscaloosa. Bama shouldn't be ranked ahead of Texas on any serious ballot.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I kinda like that idea.

But at the same time, that mistakenly assumes that the No. 5 ranked team should never beat the No. 4 ranked team.  And we both know that's false.  No matter how perfect the ranking system is, there are always going to be instances in which the lower-ranked team wins.

That's not to say that the poll was wrong.  It is to say that the lower-ranked team maybe only had a 30% chance of winning.  But that means 30% of the time, it wins every time.  And really, 30% isn't that low of a likelihood, even though we'd all rather have a 70% chance of winning.

But even with the writers obviously herding, it is a lot better poll than the coaches, who never watch any of the games.  The coaches poll made sense 50 years ago, when only a handful of games were on television, and hence the coaches were likely the most informed people about the state of college football nationally.  But today, the coaches are probably the least informed people about college football outside their own teams and their upcoming opponents.

Not to mention they're going to vote for their buddies or other ways that could perhaps serve their best interest.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 9/10/2023 at 6:38 PM, Tex Long said:

I might have said this before... I know we talked about it while watching, but I wasn't posting, so...

Milroe was on his way to Texas. Whether he just wanted to play for MensaTom and was pissed over the firing, or what, I dunno. One of the talking heads said he switched to Bama because he wanted to play for Sark.

Whatever, but here's what I was thinking... we might oughta see if we can talk him into the portal, on accounta be another RoJo, moving from QB to RB. It could be worth a try.

Not to be argumentative, but I don't think there will ever be another RoJo.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

Nah man if Sanders didn't whiff on that block he's dancing in the endzone. You have to rely on guys making blocks you can't hesitate and wait around to see if a guy is going to miss a block then change your running lane accordingly. The running lane is built into the play assuming people make their blocks - which they all did - except poor Sanders. Not a great blocker yet but he can tighten that up and be a 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe next year.

Wut 

• Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to 2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN
the game thread of one of the best texas games in 14 years has devolved into people contemplating each others' assholes and dick sizes sprinkled in with people posting pathetic and homophobic facebook screen captures of morons outing themselves on the internet...

So, is your ass hole wider than your dick or what?

On 9/11/2023 at 5:07 AM, Longboard Horn said:

I'll say this, and I'm not a former quarterback or anything, but Ewers puts the ball in front of his guys on the short passes and screens, where they are already moving forward to catch the ball, and momentum has them going downfield.  Seems like in the past, this has not necessarily always been the case, like the receivers had to stop to catch the ball, then accelerate, and consequently, got caught for no gain.  Hello, I'm talking to you Greg Davis.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, sidis said:

the game thread of one of the best texas games in 14 years has devolved into people contemplating each others' assholes and dick sizes sprinkled in with people posting pathetic and homophobic facebook screen captures of morons outing themselves on the internet...

So in other words, a perfect surlyhorns thread.

22 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

This list is just for secsec QBs....Jethro.

Yes, That's The Joke (@YesThatsTheJoke) / X

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Lmao, its like someone commanded "write me a surlyhorns post" into chatGPT. Close, chatGPT, but not quite.

Title: "Unleash the Horns: Let's Talk Texas Football"

User: HookEmAllDay

Hey there, Surlyhorns! 🤘

I hope y'all are doing better than our Longhorns were last weekend. It's been a rollercoaster of a season so far, and I'm not sure whether to be excited or worried about what's next. But you know what? This is Texas Football, and we're used to the highs and lows.

First off, let's talk about the QB situation. I mean, seriously, can someone tell me what's going on there? We've got talent, but consistency seems to be MIA. It's like we're playing QB roulette every game. Sark, let's pick a starter and stick with him for a bit, huh?

And the defense... don't even get me started. I'm all for the "bend but don't break" philosophy, but it feels like we're just breaking these days. We need some big plays, and we need 'em now. It's time to step up, D!

Now, the good news. Bijan Robinson, y'all! That man is a beast. If we could clone him and put him in every position, I'd be all for it. He's a game-changer, and I can't wait to see what he does next. And don't even get me started on our receiving corps – there's potential there, but we need to see some consistency too.

Lastly, let's talk about the fans. We've got one of the most passionate fan bases in the country, but we've also got a reputation for being a little hard on our team. We need to remember that these are college kids out there doing their best. Sure, we can be critical, but let's not forget to support our Horns through thick and thin.

So, what's your take, Surlyhorns? Are you optimistic about the rest of the season, or are you ready to toss in the towel? Either way, one thing's for sure – we bleed burnt orange, and we'll be there every Saturday cheering our Longhorns on. Hook 'em! 🤘🐂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sidis said:

No better time to come on home than right now @NowThis 

Wut 

JT Sanders’ problem is blocking in space. You can tell that he was never asked to do that in HS.
When he’s lined up tight, by a tackle, he blocks just fine, with his strength and big frame. While he’s in the open field, say trying to block a CB/DB, I truly think it’s a feet/balance issue. Just my opinion of watching him.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

JT Sanders’ problem is blocking in space. You can tell that he was never asked to do that in HS.
When he’s lined up tight, by a tackle, he blocks just fine, with his strength and big frame. While he’s in the open field, say trying to block a CB/DB, I truly think it’s a feet/balance issue. Just my opinion of watching him.

Hook’em!!!

Blocking a much smaller human in space when your teammate makes the wrong move is really difficult, with that said, I was making fun of the idea that he “may go in the 3rd round”. He’s a super athletic TE which the nfl loves, and he’s going to have good numbers when he finishes his college career. I think he’s got a chance to go 1st round and will definitely be a 2nd rounder if not. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Blocking a much smaller human in space when your teammate makes the wrong move is really difficult, with that said, I was making fun of the idea that he “may go in the 3rd round”. He’s a super athletic TE which the nfl loves, and he’s going to have good numbers when he finishes his college career. I think he’s got a chance to go 1st round and will definitely be a 2nd rounder if not. 

You are so correct! With his ability to block in space, his draft stage will only increase!

Hook’em!!!

12 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Ratings matter for broadcasters. As a fan I don’t care how many people saw our game 

As a fan you should want good recruits. To get good recruits you need to be on ESPN highlights and twitter and shit. To get on those you need a lot of people watching = ratings. 

• Hook 'Em 2