Week 6, 2023: Red River shootout.

Wulaw Horn

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

I think the 2013 and 2015 wins qualify as the "Texas was supposed to get our asses kicked."  I can't remember any others in the past 20 years or so.  For some of our other wins, e.g., 2008, 2018, I think OU was favored, but I really don't remember anyone thinking an ass-kicking was a likely result.

But in recent memory, like going back to the Mack Brown era, I can't remember a time when the prevailing opinion was that Texas would be handing out an ass kicking and ended up losing.  In other words, I can't think of an "OU had no business winning that game" like our victories in 2013 and 2015.  You could go back to the prior millennia and look at the OU tie in 1995 and OU win in 1996 for something comparable.  

I don't know what any of that all means.

We were supposed to be DESTROYED in ALL 4 of PETER THE GREAT's (Peter Gardere's, for you youngins) 4 consecutive wins over Mobilehoma. 

1989, 1990, 1991, and 1992 -- all Peter's wins. 

The few Mobilehoma fucksticks that hadn't vacated the stands chanted "graduate! graduate!" after consecutive win #4.

I'm privileged to have witnessed all 4 of those wins in person in the Cotton Bowl stands.

Hook'Em!

BEAT THE FUCKING HELL OUTTA MOBILEHOMA!!!!

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Yeah . I got all that, but I had already typed my post when I read the fine print, so I sent it anyway.

You don't need to drill down very far in the OU opponent's schedule to see all kinds of holes.  I understand OU Homer's not doing it, but I think the sports guys are just being lazy.

Some of y’all treat apostrophes like Joe Mixon treats women.

(And like Sark is about to treat Venables)

Edited by Chili dog
Keeping it on topic
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Some other notes about OU right now from their writers and posters:

-They had a thread about who the "x factor" for OU would be in a win on both sides of the ball. Gavin Sawchuk, who hasn't done shit since stepping onto campus, was the leading pick on offense. There were also multiple picks for Drake Stoops and Gavin Freeman. This OU offense is loaded! Defensively, Stutsman was the main. Not sure how the leading tackler and a returning All Big 12 guy is somehow mysterious and surprises in this game, but ok.

-Harrington is out for the year. That's the 3rd or 4th guy to have season ending surgery and easily the biggest name. He hasn't played in a while and this wasn't a surprise. 

-Outside of the season enders, OU appears to be pretty healthy. If one of the OU posters knows differently, I'm all eyes.

-Against ISU, Major had 68 yards after contact. He rushed for 66 total yards. This dude was getting hit early and often. The OU run game is legitimately bad. 

-Gabriel is very accurate in the short and long passing games, and very mediocre in the intermediate. This played itself out against ISU as well. Dude is barely above 50% on the season between 10-19 yards. 

-OU's front 4 struggled to get pressure on ISU, so they blitzed on 19 of 35 passing downs. The freshman 5 star DE is playing more and more and got his 2nd sack against ISU. 

-Venables has clamped down on player interviews this week. He allowed 16 last week and they'll have 4 this week, which all occurred yesterday. 

-Generally speaking, there is a try-hard energy on their board right now in terms of mustering confidence about the game this weekend. A lot "I know OU is going to play its best game of the Brent Venables era and beat Texas!" and a lot "This Texas team is really talented, but Sarkisian and Ewers might not be ready for this defense." and some of "We have to find ways to mask Key Lawrence/for the OL to figure out the run game/to cover Xavier Worthy."

-Similarly to the okies posting here, they really do think that they have an amazing WR corps. Snapcount-wise, the leading WR on the OU roster is Drake Stoops and it isn't even close. 

the universe appreciates you when you do your thing without invoking fat girlfriends or rat poison

thank you

11 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I did in 2011 with my family since they were cheap and it was terrible as far as outcome. There was another Longhorn next to us and he was silent but not me I was cheering for the horns. Some guy said he was going to kick my ass and his girlfriend plus other people around us told him to shut the fuck up since I was cheering for my team and saying nothing about the sooners. After the beating on the field started they were all super friendly, then again I had three kids with me and one was my daughter's friend and she was a sooner. That is when I learned that they all think they get the raw end of the stick when it comes to the refs as far as the rivalry goes.

maxresdefault.jpg

my last time at the fixture (thanks @MaxHorn)

0 wins

2 ties ('76 & '84)

6 losses

i'm not going saturday

so i'm saying there's a chance

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Ian Boyd was discussing this a couple days ago. The only game Texas hasn't operated from a really base offense is Bama. If you can beat teams comfortably without having to do more than the bare minimum why would you? 

Is it turtling or just saving your best shit for top opponents? 

Sark got defensive when asked about the poor red zone success rate in a recent press conference, and I suspect it's because he didn't want to come right out and say something similar.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2023 at 1:12 PM, TexasFan21 said:

Going to my first game in Dallas this weekend. For those that have been, what are some must do's while I am there? 

I am assuming it will be better to Uber rather than fight the crowd and trying to park, but was curious about that as well? 

Take the train(Dart Rail). It drops off right in front of the gates to the fair

6 hours ago, TotallyLegit said:

Sark got defensive when asked about the poor red zone success rate in a recent press conference, and I suspect it's because he didn't want to come right out and say something similar.

Iirc it was Wescott asking a mouth breather question about dissecting statistics. I don't blame Sark for rolling his eyes at it. 

5 hours ago, NOOBSDUDE said:

I’m so pumped for this game. From 2000-2009 the team that won this game went on to play for the national championship. Looks like we might have another. Fuck the the big 12 in 2008. Texas will win 34-17.

I'm sure I agree 100% with your police work, there, Lou...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Get on the earliest DART your liquor-bruised liver can manage. I get at the Pearl stop no later than 745. Usually more like 715. Trains run every 10-15 mins or so on Game Day.

It's like 2-3 stops and just over 10 mins to the Fair Park stop. Even the 745 will be packed full.

Pro tip, the Marriott right by there opens the lobby bar at 6am, if not earlier, and starts slinging coffee and bloody marys if you're so inclined.

I am so inclined, so see you there.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just in case it hasn't been posted, per Wunderground it's going to be 65 beautiful degrees with partly cloudy skies and a 10mph wind on Saturday morning at 11:00 a.m. in Dallas. Almost perfect football weather.

Too good to be true

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

I'm calling my shot now. Sark will set up for the Worthy behind the line backward pass. It will be a pump fake and jontay will be streaking downfield  for a beautiful ewers bomb.

Pretty fucking good idea, since Sark has created a lot of film on the Worthy pass.

9 hours ago, Skipper said:

Put on the '08 game with my almost 7 year old son tonight to start giving him a history lesson of what this week is about.  Taught him the real words to the fight song and all. Hope he doesn't get sent home from school tomorrow.  

I assume by "real words" you mean the ones that end with "rip 'em up! tear 'em up! make 'em eat shit!"

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I feel like I should be more nervous about this game, which I am of course. It’s ou weekend. But I feel confident we are going to win. I hate that feeling in this game. Fuck ou

Same. I think watching how this team handled Bama taking the lead on them made me a true believer. It’s something we haven’t seen in so long but this team is just different 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I feel like I should be more nervous about this game, which I am of course. It’s ou weekend. But I feel confident we are going to win. I hate that feeling in this game. Fuck ou

Same for me!  I feel confident about this game but I'm feeling antsy about not feeling antsy about Saturday:)  I think I need a margarita.

• Hook 'Em 3

For me the 2 concerns defensively are 1. OU's tempo offense and 1. The deep ball.  I don't think the Sooners can put together long drives, and they probably know that. 

I would hope our D is used to dealing with tempo everyday in practice. I've seen Gerry Hamilton talk about his concerns with Kitan Crawford at safety. Hope we see even more Derek Williams this week. 

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

For me the 2 concerns defensively are 1. OU's tempo offense and 1. The deep ball.  I don't think the Sooners can put together long drives, and they probably know that. 

I would hope our D is used to dealing with tempo everyday in practice. I've seen Gerry Hamilton talk about his concerns with Kitan Crawford at safety. Hope we see even more Derek Williams this week. 

Tempo is going to fuck them when our defense is ready for it and we get a pick 6.

Then they have to try and figure out how to get yards without going fast... and they are fucked...

So maybe they try and keep the tempo, and we score 77 points on their stupid asses.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Have you seen Gabriel throw the deep ball? Even OU fans are like... please don't throw the deep ball. He is the underthrow equivalent to QE's overthrowing from last year.

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Have you seen Gabriel throw the deep ball? Even OU fans are like... please don't throw the deep ball. He is the underthrow equivalent to QE's overthrowing from last year.

His range can't be more than about 40-45 yards in the air, but he is pretty accurate with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Have you seen our guys cover the deep ball lol we also say please don’t throw the deep ball.  Undertheown deep balls mean PIs all day even bullshit ones. The way you beat deep ball is the d line fucking the faces of their o line so he has 1-2 seconds to throw and not 4 seconds 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Brennan Thompson may or may not be a factor on Saturday but I guarantee OU coaches sat down with him this week to extract trade secrets and insider information on our offense. We already know from reports last year Thompson was the fastest player on our squad. 

Edited by perfectchaos007

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Brennan Thompson may or may not be a factor on Saturday but I guarantee OU coaches sat down with him this week to extract trade secrets and insider information on our offense 

“They’re going to attack all the green and there’s really nothing we can do about it. I suggest milking clock.”

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Brennan Thompson may or may not be a factor on Saturday but I guarantee OU coaches sat down with him this week to extract trade secrets and insider information on our offense. We already know from reports last year Thompson was the fastest player on our squad. 

I am almost certain he got hurt last week. I can’t find a single report on it, but there was a long run brought back by penalty and he went down on that play.