Week 6, 2023: Red River shootout.

Wulaw Horn

The deep ball against the Texas safeties might be a weakness but it's also extremely boom or bust. 

1) Deep passes, in general, are very low percentage compared to other routes. 

2) Long developing passes take time in pass pro which allows the DL to get home. Baylor hit 1 or 2 deep passes against Texas but they were also behind the sticks almost the entire night. Baylor is a very vertical team that tries to beat defenses over the top and for the most part it was an unsuccessful strategy. 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The deep ball against the Texas safeties might be a weakness but it's also extremely boom or bust. 

1) Deep passes, in general, are very low percentage compared to other routes. 

2) Long developing passes take time in pass pro which allows the DL to get home. Baylor hit 1 or 2 deep passes against Texas but they were also behind the sticks almost the entire night. Baylor is a very vertical team that tries to beat defenses over the top and for the most part it was an unsuccessful strategy. 

I'm still not that confident in our secondary's ball-hawking skills, but I hope we're at least past the days of guys like Jamison and Boyd desperately flailing away at deep receivers, if not basically tackling them, with the ball in flight far downfield. Part of the blame then clearly went to a lack of pressure, but all too often our guys on an island ended up dying there. Our ability to avoid this might well define our season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, for real....it's been a long time since I've attended the game.  I usually hop over to I-45, so I'm approaching the fair from the Southeast, through that neighborhood.  Used to park on the field behind James Madison High school, I understand that's not in play any longer.  So...where to park over there that's reasonably safe/won't get my car windows busted in?

I recommend parking at Faith Cumberland Presbyterian on Al Lipscomb Way

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nahlin is reporting that Kevin Mar and crew will not be working the Texas-OU game this weekend.

Thank God Praise Jesus GIF by Chicks on the Right

My hope is CDC let the Big 12 office have it about this crew.

God that crew is so bad. Even against Wyoming of all games, it was terrible to watch. 

Some intern in Bellmont is probably assigned (punished?) to watch every Kevin Mar game and note every egregiously bad call, every obviously wrong spot and overtly long delay. Then CDC sent it in 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

For all you DART riding bitch boys.

DART Rail

DART will offer additional Green Line and Red Line service on Saturday, Oct. 7 to make your trip to the game a snap.

Two rail stations serve the fairgrounds -- Fair Park Station, located on Parry Avenue at the entrance to the fairgrounds, and MLK, Jr. Station, located south of R.B. Cullum Boulevard and convenient to the MLK fairground entrance (Gate 6) and Cotton Bowl Stadium.

If you’re riding DART Rail or the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) to downtown Dallas, you can easily transfer to the Green Line. From downtown Dallas, board Green Line trains marked “BUCKNER,” “LAWNVIEW” or “FAIR PARK”:

• Southbound Red, Blue, and Orange Line passengers transfer to the Green Line at Pearl/Arts District Station  -- unless you’re already on one of the four special Red Line trains from Parker Road Station to Fair Park Station.
  • Northbound Red and Blue Line passengers transfer to the Green Line at Akard Station.
  • Eastbound Orange Line passengers transfer to the Green Line at Bachman Station.
  • TRE passengers transfer to the Green Line or a shuttle bus at Victory Station.
  • Extra Green Line trains will run between Victory Station and Lawnview Station beginning approximately three hours prior to the game and continuing until approximately three hours after the game. During that timeframe, Green Line trains will run approximately every five to 10 minutes.
  • All Orange Line trains will offer extended service to Parker Road Station that day.
  • Between the Red Line, Orange Line and special trains, DART will offer service approximately every 10 minutes along the North Central Expressway Corridor before and after the game.
  • DART will offer four special Red Line trains southbound from Parker Road Station directly into Fair Park. These trains will be marked “SPECIAL EVENT” on their destination sign. After the game, there will also be four special northbound Red Line trains from Fair Park Station to Parker Road Station. These trains will be marked “PARKER ROAD” on their destination sign.
  • Blue Line and Orange Line trains will operate their normal weekend schedule on that Saturday.
  • All rail lines will return to regular service three hours after the game.
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

One of my favorite OU-Texas stories, way back in the day my dad was going to the game and pulled into this long series of yards, pays the guy at entrance, then there's a string of guys who keep waving him forward, waving him forward, until finally the last guy just waves him back out into the street again. 

You sure your dad's not an Aggie?

12 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'm still not that confident in our secondary's ball-hawking skills, but I hope we're at least past the days of guys like Jamison and Boyd desperately flailing away at deep receivers, if not basically tackling them, with the ball in flight far downfield. Part of the blame then clearly went to a lack of pressure, but all too often our guys on an island ended up dying there. Our ability to avoid this might well define our season. 

Yeah, I still have worries with the safeties but the idea of "we are just going to throw the ball deep on Texas all night" is more theory than practice. 

If you watch the first drive against Baylor their intention was to attack our safeties down the field on those first few plays. They quickly found out that it's lot more difficult to actually execute that with our front 7 getting pressure on the QB. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, for real....it's been a long time since I've attended the game.  I usually hop over to I-45, so I'm approaching the fair from the Southeast, through that neighborhood.  Used to park on the field behind James Madison High school, I understand that's not in play any longer.  So...where to park over there that's reasonably safe/won't get my car windows busted in?

FYI, I called Madison HS & their JROTC is still parking, first come first served.  

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Baxter starting the season seemed like a recruiting promise being cashed in.  

I don't think Baxter starting was all that crazy. 

1) He's the biggest back so made sense with the idea of Texas running a lot of inside zone.

2) One of his biggest strengths is pass-catching which is a nice tool to have in an offense that passes a lot. 

Sark also said that Baxter hasn't been 100% since the Rice injury. Turns out that Brooks is also a stud. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Perhaps, but I could also believe he’s still not 100% after the injury from the Alabama game. Against Rice, Baxter had the highest  YPC of all the backs, but of course we’re working with a small sample size so who knows 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is eventually going to become a major weapon with Baxter when teams have to key in on Worthy, AD Mitchell, and Sanders. 

Watching that play live, I made an audible gasp when the ball was in the air thinking it was about to be picked off the the QB spy. Then Baxter snagged it and ran for a big 1st down and I exhaled 😮‍💨 

• Hook 'Em 2

Like Ian Boyd tweeted a few days ago, Texas has been running a very base offense against everybody except Bama. 

Go watch what Texas did with Baxter in the Bama game compared to others. They have some tricks where they use Baxter in the passing/motion game that they simply aren't showing people. Watch how they move Baxter around in the Bama game.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

You're welcome. Small lot that is attended by the same dude and his family. Parked there for 20 years probably. Always in nice cars. Nobody touches anything. 8:00 will be plenty early. 

IMG-0039.jpg

Also if you get there at 8, bring some booze because it’s a good lot to hang out and have a couple of drinks before you go in at 9-930 and fight the crowds. Leaving the lot is easy as well. 

3 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

He also dances too much at the line. He needs to make a cut and get up field. I believe that’s just part of the learning process for a true freshman at this level.

Case in point, at the end of the 3Q, the OL had cleared out the entire middle of the field from hash to hash of KU defenders, and Baxter ran outside the far hash and was tackled for a 3 or 4 yard gain.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, mdmost said:

For all you DART riding bitch boys.

DART Rail

DART will offer additional Green Line and Red Line service on Saturday, Oct. 7 to make your trip to the game a snap.

Two rail stations serve the fairgrounds -- Fair Park Station, located on Parry Avenue at the entrance to the fairgrounds, and MLK, Jr. Station, located south of R.B. Cullum Boulevard and convenient to the MLK fairground entrance (Gate 6) and Cotton Bowl Stadium.

If you’re riding DART Rail or the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) to downtown Dallas, you can easily transfer to the Green Line. From downtown Dallas, board Green Line trains marked “BUCKNER,” “LAWNVIEW” or “FAIR PARK”:

• Southbound Red, Blue, and Orange Line passengers transfer to the Green Line at Pearl/Arts District Station  -- unless you’re already on one of the four special Red Line trains from Parker Road Station to Fair Park Station.
  • Northbound Red and Blue Line passengers transfer to the Green Line at Akard Station.
  • Eastbound Orange Line passengers transfer to the Green Line at Bachman Station.
  • TRE passengers transfer to the Green Line or a shuttle bus at Victory Station.
  • Extra Green Line trains will run between Victory Station and Lawnview Station beginning approximately three hours prior to the game and continuing until approximately three hours after the game. During that timeframe, Green Line trains will run approximately every five to 10 minutes.
  • All Orange Line trains will offer extended service to Parker Road Station that day.
  • Between the Red Line, Orange Line and special trains, DART will offer service approximately every 10 minutes along the North Central Expressway Corridor before and after the game.
  • DART will offer four special Red Line trains southbound from Parker Road Station directly into Fair Park. These trains will be marked “SPECIAL EVENT” on their destination sign. After the game, there will also be four special northbound Red Line trains from Fair Park Station to Parker Road Station. These trains will be marked “PARKER ROAD” on their destination sign.
  • Blue Line and Orange Line trains will operate their normal weekend schedule on that Saturday.
  • All rail lines will return to regular service three hours after the game.

I got stuck in Dart for almost an hour back in 2017 on the way to the fair and wound up missing kickoff.  Fuck those clowns I will never do that shit again.

Edited by Pimphand

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You've gotten some good advice already, but I park at James Madison HS every year for over 15 yrs and they even recognize us when we park.  I usually walk by a few other empty lots that are closer on the way to the fairgrounds, but these are good people and it's always easy and no issue.  We all have a routine on this day, and this is part of mine.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Perhaps, but I could also believe he’s still not 100% after the injury from the Alabama game. Against Rice, Baxter had the highest  YPC of all the backs, but of course we’re working with a small sample size so who knows 

He had one good run against Rice, the rest of his attempts averaged 2 yards per. He just hasn't played great this year, and is light years away from Brooks as of now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Fuck em. Blitz Quinn every play.  You’re not covering AD, worthy. Whitt sanders or cook one on one and let Quinn run for 100 on your asses and see what happens

Yes, this is what Ian Boyd was discussing in terms of marginal returns against quality opponents.

OU overwhelms bad teams at the point of the attack because they know these bad teams don't have the weapons to punish them at the 2nd and 3rd levels. It covers up major weaknesses at the 2nd and 3rd levels. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, immamac said:

How early are you arriving? You are likely going to have to pre-buy a parking pass if you get there too late and just park in the gates. I wouldn't park anywhere outside fenced areas/gates anymore unless you are in a beater you don't give a shit about with nothing inside. Stuff's gotten much worse around the cotton bowl.

No it’s not too bad. A friend of mine lives two blocks away from the state fair and his neighborhood has been gentrified with a bunch of new townhomes that are mostly retired old people and families with little kids. 

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

My overthinking theory is that Sark named Baxter to push Brooks knowing Brooks wouldn't turtle and bitch and in turn Baxter would feel empowered at the opportunity and give him the juice he needed. 

Like I said, overthinking theory of the whole thing. It is probably far simpler.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Had to run into my office to grab some reports, and was wearing my burnt or age with white horns logo. 

Some asshole representative’s chief of staff that participated in the Jan 6 riots (no CR) saw me, did the horns down, said Texas is a fraud and Oklahoma wins by 3 TDs. 

He is up for re-election next year. I am going to unload my savings account in favor of his opponent. 

Big opportunity to unload it at Texas +21 unless the guy was gutless. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Big opportunity to unload it at Texas +21 unless the guy was gutless. 

You would think. Years ago - I think on whalecunt dot com - some loud mouth gooner was predicting them by 35, and I offered to put up my hat, ass, and suitcase on that, with some ridiculous odds on top. Fortunately the blowhard chickened out. We lost that game by 38, I believe it was. Still have my hat and ass, but the suitcase got stolen in Turkey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You would think. Years ago - I think on whalecunt dot com - some loud mouth gooner was predicting them by 35, and I offered to put up my hat, ass, and suitcase on that, with some ridiculous odds on top. Fortunately the blowhard chickened out. We lost that game by 38, I believe it was. Still have my hat and ass, but the suitcase got stolen in Turkey.

Yeah, if people were as good at it as they thought, they’d be a lot richer. I figured Texas would beat Alabama by 10+ and cover against Baylor and Kansas. So far, so good. Then I remember Rice and Wyoming. At least I got the winners right. 

I think Texas treats OU much more rudely than Cincinnati and SMU did, despite knowing OU is going to pull out all the stops against Texas. I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if Texas wins by something like the Kansas score, but I’ve been wrong before and I’ll probably be quite stressed until Ewers is wearing the hat. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

So that was your fault? Dammit man…

• Hook 'Em 1