Politics at Work

wackawacka

What are people's view about executives taking positions politically at work. I tend to think say nothing. Given recent events in Israel and somewhat in Ukraine, I wonder if it is reasonable.

As background, senior person and we have an international team that are impacted by events in Israel. Do we talk to them or the company about it?

Added complication - Employees if they are savvy (e.g. Ivy educated) which many are can look up where executives have donated money politically. I am the only one that has significant political donations.

• Hook 'Em 1

Outside the office political donations, tweets, etc. are fine, so long as the tweets aren't hateful.  They gotta understand that if their expressed political views run counter to a significant number of employees/customers, there could be boycots and such.

Politics at work?  100% no.  Maybe take a Ukrainian or Jewish employee aside 1:1 and offer your support.  Our company will match donations to the legit Ukrainian charities which is cool too.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Every company I’ve ever worked for has had people (typically exec mgt) make comments. But O&G going to O&G. 

Yeah, I ran M&A/investments at an O&G adjacent company for short time. It was aggressively O&G that even our partners (e.g. Goldman/ McKinsey) pulled me aside to talk about mgmt not saying those things.

No politics at work. Even when you think you’re doing the right thing it backfires.

For example, a company I know of made a statement about George Floyd expressing sympathy and solidarity with his family and the protest. While I would doubt it made a huge difference for most, for some employees it was seen as a great expression from their employer that they were not heartless capitalist and realized there is more to life than work.

The problem occurred later when the gay nightclub was attacked (apologies if I’m recalling events slightly out of order) and they LGBT groups at the company wanted a similar statement which eventually was released. So on and so on with each following event.

Now you have the Israel/Hamas war and while it’s easy to condemn terrorism, how do they respond to Palestinians asking for a similar statement about the innocent civilians being killed by the IDF? They painted themselves into a corner. As always, the only winning move was not to play. You might have taken a small PR/morale hit at the time but in the long term silence is golden.

No politics at work.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

The only time I listen to politics at work is when the person is from another country and they are explaining how things work where they are from. I find that okay and interesting, especially when a friend at work originally from Niger gave me some fun in-depth stories about how things are back home.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, wackawacka said:

What are people's view about executives taking positions politically at work. I tend to think say nothing. Given recent events in Israel and somewhat in Ukraine, I wonder if it is reasonable.

As background, senior person and we have an international team that are impacted by events in Israel. Do we talk to them or the company about it?

Added complication - Employees if they are savvy (e.g. Ivy educated) which many are can look up where executives have donated money politically. I am the only one that has significant political donations.

Corporate statements should be limited to the company's responsibility for affected employees, not a stance about surrounding circumstances.  "We're taking full measures to relocate / assist our employees and their families in [Ukraine/Israel/Norman Oklahoma]".

Execs shouldn't refrain from making donations in a personal capacity according to their prerogative.  But making public statements with explicit condemnation/support is akin to Thoughts & Prayers.  It achieves nothing except start a precedence for demands of proclamation around other peoples never ending personal interests. 

It's kinda looney that people expect such things.  Like...what does Ja Rule think about the occupational hazards of albino pygmys in the guatemalan coffee industry ?????

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, wackawacka said:

No politics at work is the smart route.  Your politics is stupid.  My politics is stupid.  We are here to conduct business and not win political converts.  Knowing and understanding people of different stripes is a good thing.  Enjoy people and become indispensable to them.  Leave your politics (and ego) at home.

Further, what does all this in the quote box mean?  

Ivy educated does not equal savvy.

“Donated money politically”?

”I am the only one that has significant political donations”

• Hook 'Em 2

My company is very progressive.  They keep us non-progressives around because they also really, really, really like great business results.

Every once in a while the CEO or somebody tries to make a political statement and they get shouted down to STFU and stop alienating the other half of the employees. Two big examples were the 2016 election result and Covid policies.

Individually, we don't talk that shit at work.  I don't want to hear theirs, and they probably already know mine by other life choices.  Arguing over Dodgers. Yankees/ Astros or Top 10 guitar players is a lot more productive.

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, wackawacka said:

I don't care where they personally donate.  that's called liberty and freedom of expression.

I don't need to hear about it at work, where you can still say whatever you want, but you're not exempt from the reactions of others.

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

My CEO came into my office yesterday and said that Israel should kill everyone that considers themselves Palestinian. I asked if he meant Hamas and he said "no, all Palestinians", so...

So how are things going at AggyCo?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Our company is an international company with major offices in China, Egypt, the 'stans, Russia, Brazil, etc. It was "bought" out by a US only company which started as a small mom and pop. The leadership of the buying company was very small town minded.

In our first company wide call led by our new CEO, he went on to praise and thank Jesus Christ, profusely. A month later, he was replaced by our CEO. Not sure if that was the only reason, but I'm sure it didn't help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I work at a labor and employment firm that now gives us Juneteenth off, has a robust DEI department but also cheers every time the firm helps bust another union attempt lol

It’s weird. But I also don’t talk to my coworkers unless it’s about work for the 2 hours a week I see them face to face 

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2023 at 6:32 AM, deadshank said:

No politics at work is the smart route.  Your politics is stupid.  My politics is stupid.  We are here to conduct business and not win political converts.  Knowing and understanding people of different stripes is a good thing.  Enjoy people and become indispensable to them.  Leave your politics (and ego) at home.

Further, what does all this in the quote box mean?  

Ivy educated does not equal savvy.

“Donated money politically”?

”I am the only one that has significant political donations”

I would have agreed with this post before early 2020. 

Just yesterday I received a text asking why I brought politics into the sphere related to work, sent by a person to whom  I had given a negative recommendation. I answered the text honestly: that I would not choose to do business with someone who, in their quest for a better country, chose domestic terrorism over being a better citizen.

• Haha 1

I’m conservative. Work in O&G. 95% of my company is conservative, but you gotta read the room. I work with militantly liberal attorney. I usually keep it to: how are your kids doing and the weather. 

My company publishes a voting guide in November every other year. Pretty straightforward. Vote for these guys because their stated positions support domestic O&G development. I’ve never heard any complaints about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My company publishes a voting guide in November every other year. Pretty straightforward. Vote for these guys because their stated positions support domestic O&G development. I’ve never heard any complaints about it. 

dumb , I’d like to see their voting guides for 2008 and 2012. Eight of the greatest o/g years ever 

• Like 2

I am also in O&G where the vast majority of my colleagues are conservative and a good many are MAGAts. They will bring up politics, but I rarely see anything official from executives. This is likely because I don’t work for an American company. So at least there is that.

However, the folks on projects can be a beating. During Obama’s presidency I heard him called a monkey on a couple of occasions. And this in a very white collar environment at an engineering firm. Take a walk around the parking garage and you will see several Let’s Go Brandon or FJB stickers on cars.

I usually don’t say shit unless someone straight up asks my opinion on something. Then I will give my honest take, which usually doesn’t fall in with the O&G bro MAGAts. I have been labeled “too liberal” but several coworkers. But I also labeled them bitch made bitches.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/20/2023 at 7:28 AM, slorch said:

My company is very progressive.  They keep us non-progressives around because they also really, really, really like great business results.

Every once in a while the CEO or somebody tries to make a political statement and they get shouted down to STFU and stop alienating the other half of the employees. Two big examples were the 2016 election result and Covid policies

Ha! I like the subtle or implicit bias that the non-progressives are what keeps the company running. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Scorecards don't pay the bills...

In the same vein as JS1's labor reactions upthread, I get a kick out of folks toeing the company line on Unions when you know virtually every other one of their personal choices in life says they absolutely vote pro-union.

Edited by slorch

32 minutes ago, YChang said:

Ha! I like the subtle or implicit bias that the non-progressives are what keeps the company running. 

Also if it was the other way around, it would be "the liberal employees are censoring conservative views and not letting them speak about things!" 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also if it was the other way around, it would be "the liberal employees are censoring conservative views and not letting them speak about things!" 

Everybody  is being censored politically in our work place.   No apologies here.

I've told people to get the stupid ass Confederate Battle Flag off their car or not to park it on company property.  I've shut down political/ social issue conversations that were in one way or another offensive to most.

IDGAF about their political compass.  Just leave it at home.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am also in O&G where the vast majority of my colleagues are conservative and a good many are MAGAts. They will bring up politics, but I rarely see anything official from executives. This is likely because I don’t work for an American company. So at least there is that.

However, the folks on projects can be a beating. During Obama’s presidency I heard him called a monkey on a couple of occasions. And this in a very white collar environment at an engineering firm. Take a walk around the parking garage and you will see several Let’s Go Brandon or FJB stickers on cars.

I usually don’t say shit unless someone straight up asks my opinion on something. Then I will give my honest take, which usually doesn’t fall in with the O&G bro MAGAts. I have been labeled “too liberal” but several coworkers. But I also labeled them bitch made bitches.

I've been doing a lot of work the last couple of years in energy and spent a ton of time in Houston (and around a ton of Aggies), and yea...99% are very conservative and not shy about it. It's jarring coming from outside of this industry where most people are self-aware to realize there are things you don't talk about (sex, politics, religion) and career limiting moves and HR trouble is a real thing.

I'm 100% apolitical at work because I've always been raised on the Michael Jordan corollary: "Republicans (or Democrats) buy shoes, too".

Edited by BeardIP

2 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I've been doing a lot of work the last couple of years in energy and spent a ton of time in Houston (and around a ton of Aggies), and yea...99% are very conservative and not shy about it.

Yeah my O&G customers all have fox news playing in their corporate HQ lobby if there's TV screens - without fail. But it's a totally apolitical fox news, or something

I work at a non-profit that tends to attract a left-leaning demographic in terms of talent. That said, despite it not being uncommon for government and policy being a relevant discussion topic in my line of work, the work environment is surprisingly politically neutral and I know senior management goes out of their way to be neutral for fundraising/regulatory purposes.

As a liberal myself I still prefer it that way. We have a mission and it is not political advocacy. There are other avenues for that.

• Hook 'Em 2

In the office, with colleagues, around the water cooler or a function etc...stick to sports, weather and work.   Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt has always been my motto. Lets the doofuses on the team duke it out...sit back and profit.

Edited by jdhorn92

No politics at work or under your real name on social media that could be sent back to work. 

No one at work cares. Especially if you are in a leadership position. You are asking for trouble if you start espousing your beliefs. 
Not worth the hassle/trouble. 

Wait til you are retired until you start telling people what you think. 

38 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I will, my favorite headline from 2020 election

Biden Counties Account for 70% of U.S. GDP

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/latest-updates-biden-trump-election-2020/card/32vHNFTTc2xxNr7NITHY

There is no doubt how urban counties vote and where the money is.  landed on the moon gif.

Within an organization, I know whose phone rings when the shit hits the fan.  The little cutesy social experiments get dropped in a fucking heartbeat.

All that being said, yeah, it still takes all of us.  I just enjoy the results driven focus more.  

Edited by slorch

On 10/19/2023 at 9:45 PM, wackawacka said:

In general, the Rotary's 4-way test is a pretty good rule of thumb for the workplace. 

1. Is it the truth?
  2. Is it fair to all concerned?
  3. Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
  4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

That said - I don't think that it's possible sometimes - meaning, sometimes silence just isn't an option for a whole range of reasons (Israel Hamas, George Floyd, January 6th, masks at work, climate change, et al) and taking positions, however necessary,  will not build good will and better friendships . So it really depends on the company and how the company defines its mission and relationship to customers, employees, ownership, and other stakeholders, and it needs to considered in terms of risk management and the impact on productivity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

1. Is it the truth?
  2. Is it fair to all concerned?
  3. Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
  4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

Let's test this.
"OU sucks."

1 -- true.

2 -- definitely fair.

3 -- builds goodwill and better friendships among all who hate OU.

4 -- the world realizing that OU sucks will indeed benefit everyone.

Yep, checks out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1