9-1

Huckleberry

We won't play Bama again this season (possibly a non playoff bowl) so it's totally irrelevant if they're a better team now than the one we beat in September. You think anyone at Bama is comforted by the thought they could likely beat us if we played again when that isn't likely to happen? That sort of thinking is reserved for aggy and other aggy-minded programs.

I was responding to a poster that said we’re essentially fine that we beat a different Bama team back in September. It is relevant that they will surpass us in the rankings Tuesday and will have a better shot at the CFP. It’s reality not aggy

7 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

If this team had VY, Casey Studdard and Micheal Griffin I wouldn't be so concerned. And what does 9-1 really mean when the B12 sucks donkey shit this year? I don't think anyone projected the B12 to suck so bad either. This year just may be the worst B12 ever, especially when adding the newcomers.

Means we comfortably handled Alabama in Tuscaloosa and largely took care of business against every other team with one slip up. Sure we'd like more style points but damn how can folks be this miserable about a team with a live chance of making the CFP.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

Some fans are so critical of their team that they can't enjoy simple pleasures - like being 9-1. 10-0 with all wins being to the tune of 70-3 would be better of course but that might take some time and may happen in a difference universe among the infinite possibilities in the cosmic multiverse.

This is only our 3rd 9 win season since the 2009 season champ game. I’m thrilled! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

Means we comfortably handled Alabama in Tuscaloosa and largely took care of business against every other team with one slip up. Sure we'd like more style points but damn how can folks be this miserable about a team with a live chance of making the CFP.

It’s a couple of things.  Performance relative to expectations.  Realistic predictions about our playoff chances, knowing an important metric is how you finish the season.  

We should all be ecstatic with the result this year, but expectations were high.  Talent level is high.  We are back to justifiably holding this program to national championship levels.

Sark’s management Oklahoma and on leaves a lot to be desired. 

Edited by Pound Town

Sark has done a phenomenal job changing the culture. We've used the portal super effectively. The players seem to love/respect him and play hard for each other. That Whittington/Worthy hustle play on Quinn's pick was beautiful to see. 

But Sark has an issue on Saturdays. His plan of attack and in-game instincts on the offensive side of the ball just don't make any sense. 

This is not a leaky roof. It's a structural issue that needs to be audited and properly addressed this offseason. I'd guess that letting Milwee or someone else call plays during the game would be a great start. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Talent level is higher than it has been, but the talent level is not overwhelming. Quinn is good, but this is only his second year in the system. The IOL has big issues getting push in a scheme that relies on inside zone. The defense is still figuring out how to play as a unit. Sark is still learning how to manage his team and game day.

We're fortunate to have some standout play from a few stars to help this team overcome its deficiencies. Keep winning and most of these issues work themselves out over time through recruiting, development, and experience.

It's a blessing to be 9-1

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

I’ll take 9-1 but we’re playing with fire and eventually, our luck will run out. Our head coach is a problem but our O line isn’t executing in the 2nd half and our D seems to decide no longer to give effort when we’re up big. I think we have a problem of player leadership and our HC that wants to continue to be an OC only in crucial moments. Gideon/Joseph doesn’t mesh with PK and that needs to be fixed which means someone has to go.

I do think we have a problem with player leadership, yes.

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So much this.  Our oline is the biggest weakness on this team. 

I vehemently disagree since it is Sark's game management and in game adjustments that are the biggest weakness. This year Sark got a tad better at in game adjustments so if he decides he is the game day problem he will try to fix it. The problem is that he continues to say that he got hired because of his worst trait.

Sark has been a great surprise as a program builder. Good culture, attempts to hire the best, good talent evaluations and works hard recruiting but a damn meathead on game day.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Bama would beat us now. They keep improving week to week while we regress. Oh, both teams have injuries too. The difference is at the top.

That’s conjecture and not fact, and is therefore irrelevant. If we somehow meet up in the CFP then that result will be whatever it is.

The only fact that exists regarding Texas vs. Alabama is that we played a game against each other on 9/9/23 and Texas won.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I was responding to a poster that said we’re essentially fine that we beat a different Bama team back in September. It is relevant that they will surpass us in the rankings Tuesday and will have a better shot at the CFP. It’s reality not aggy
It's not a given they pass us in the rankings and if they do I think bloU shitting the bed against Okie Lite (out of our control) contributes to that more than us barely escaping against inferior competition. If our Bama win was at home I think it would not carry as much weight...but we beat the goat in his own house and snapped a long home winning streak. That can't be discounted no matter what Bama has done since...and them not dropping a game after should actually be in our favor. (Takes away the Bama being down this year narrative)
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

Some fans are so critical of their team that they can't enjoy simple pleasures - like being 9-1. 10-0 with all wins being to the tune of 70-3 would be better of course but that might take some time and may happen in a difference universe among the infinite possibilities in the cosmic multiverse.

the only thing that’s keeping this team from reaching its full potential is injuries.

But the good thing about that everyone has injuries and we are still 9-1 as bad as we’ve played.  It’s alot of joy in that 

at full health Texas is a top 3 team in the country easy!!! 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Why? 

Skipping 3 pages so maybe answered but because of the teams likely to be in the tiebreaker, it is likely that the record against a common opponent highest in the final order would be the first differentiator and that is likely to be isu and ou and ksu beat them, which would knock Texas out. 

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Skipping 3 pages so maybe answered but because of the teams likely to be in the tiebreaker, it is likely that the record against a common opponent highest in the final order would be the first differentiator and that is likely to be isu and ou and ksu beat them, which would knock Texas out. 

Since Texas is atop alone in conf standings at present, they can't be knocked out. The tie-breakers would apply to all the team vying for the #2 spot. 

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Talent level is higher than it has been, but the talent level is not overwhelming.

This.  We have really good high end talent but still lacking depth and still a ton of subpar players playing serious minutes.   If you take a step back and look at our flaws it's not fair to expect this team to look like a top 3 team week in and week out.  That's just not what we are now.  We have national championship caliber talent at the top end but certainly not the overall roster 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We don't deserve a shot at the playoffs IMO unless we absolutely crush our next three wins -- but even then the odds look pretty slim. Even if FSU loses to Miami and drops out, Georgia will stay above us (or Alabama will beat them and jump us), the winner of UW vs Oregon will stay above us, and both the winner and loser of OSU vs Michigan will probably stay above us. That's four. 

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

2023 B12 Football Standings

Screenshot_20231112-090235_kindlephoto-11928948.thumb.png.017a61d322e7093d885d43cf38e074da.png

BO DAVIS rant was 2yrs ago after the loss in Ames...  Time to exorcise the demons and win !!! 🤘

The math is complicated, but I believe there is a scenario where Texas clinches a title game berth next weekend.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, the goal remains on winning the Big 12 and building on that for future recruiting. We do have structural issues that need to be addressed in the offseason like the disconnect from the front 7 and back end of the D to Sark needing to self reflect and seriously consider slowly giving playcalling duties away.

• Hook 'Em 1

We don't deserve a shot at the playoffs IMO unless we absolutely crush our next three wins -- but even then the odds look pretty slim. Even if FSU loses to Miami and drops out, Georgia will stay above us (or Alabama will beat them and jump us), the winner of UW vs Oregon will stay above us, and both the winner and loser of OSU vs Michigan will probably stay above us. That's four. 
*spoiler alert*

FSU will not lose to Miami and drop out
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The math is complicated, but I believe there is a scenario where Texas clinches a title game berth next weekend.

Pretty sure yes. We can lose to Tech but still make it if we beat ISU I believe. The math becomes extremely difficult if we do not beat ISU

4 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

lol. Yep. I want those WRs. And D linemen, and a safety. Get that NIL credit card ready.

Even though they were dumb enough to go to aggy?

And if you gripers can't find a way to be happy with being 9-1, you should go find a new interest. I don't think college football is for you.

3 hours ago, Fico said:

Or maybe… hear me out… a lot of the most talented players on our team are young. They are really talented but they tend to do dumb shit and, like young players do, they fuck up more than they “should.” We like, most young teams, play up and down to levels of competition.

Except that isn’t true. On offense, 9 out of 11 starters are at least third year players. Depends on the formation but defense is also 8 or 9 of 11 starters being at least third year players. We have some talented younger guys getting meaningful snaps, but the young team excuse doesn’t fly this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Stunns38 said:

Calling me a griper while I made valid points. Most posters are not causal football fans and would take the 9-1 record any day but expressing valid concerns isn’t simply “griping”.

I was aiming my ire at the folks who are acting like we are 4-6 and not 9-1.

Don't be so defensive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I do think we have a problem with player leadership, yes.

I'm not in the locker room, but JWhitt seems to be regarded as the same kind of leader RoJo was. Total team player despite not getting too many moments in the spotlight this season. I'd love to see more passes go his way as these last few games of his Texas career play out, partly because it could lift the whole team. I especially hope he snags a TD against Tech in Austin.

Anyone like JWhitt on D? I'd hope Ford, Barron or Sweat would be, but no clue there. 

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bama would beat us now. They keep improving week to week while we regress. Oh, both teams have injuries too. The difference is at the top.

How far do we get to go back? It was 4 games ago they demolished that powerful Arkansas game by 3. The game before was the 26-20 winner at the Ags and their 23 yards rushing. Bamas 23 rushing yards that is.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Offense:

LT - Soph

LG - Soph

RG - Soph

QB - Rs. Soph…. Unique too with limited amount of experience (graduated early, wasted/lost year at OSU)

RB - Soph/Fr.

We have more upper class men on defense but we are thin. Safety has upper class men but is weak spot with depth.

LB is Ford…. And freshman Hill… everyone else is a jag/scrub

CB/NB is solid, DT/DL is solid.

• Hook 'Em 2