Build-A-Bear promo causes OVERWHELMING response, stores close early

AUS-97HORN

the promo was pay your age for your bear.

I guess this was a huge discount because lines started forming the moment the stores and/or mall opened.  crowds became unmanageable, There are pictures of malls being PACKED. And local PD's told the store they needed to close the store right away due to a crowd safety issue.  so its a case of a fantastic promotion that was just too good.

Dh6vsuWVAAAeE9b.jpgbuild-a-bear-woodfield-mall.jpg

and of course, in todays world, the story isnt "fantastic promotion by B-A-B forced to end early" 

Its "Parents fuming because B-A-B cant handle the promotion" and you get idiots tweeting:

buildabear not being able to supply the demand on pay-your-age day is bad. making kids have to attend and being turned away at the door is disgusting. #promofail #PayYourAge #buildabear #angryparent

LOL.  My wife heard about this promotion last night and was bummed she couldn't take the kids because they had other plans.  Dodged a bullet I suppose.  I know I am not the target audience but I absolutely have no understanding of BAB or stuffed animals in general.  Do kids play with that stuff still?  Mine don't despite probably having 50+ stuffed animals in our house, and they certainly don't need 3 more to sit in their closets.

20 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

It’s been my experience that they don’t actually play with them. They buy them and they just sit in a big pile, yet they desperately want more of them. 

there's a reason 40% of the world's toys are in the US. 

• Like 1

Just now, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The wife took our daughter. Said the mall was packed and the line was crazy long, so she left. Luckily our daughter is just shy of two and probably didnt understand enough to get excited.

Get her a happy meal. Save 50 bucks and your kid is happier anyway.

33 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

How poor do you have to be to stand in a line that long? How much is a normal bear? 20 or 30 bucks. Stand in a line all morning to save 10 to 15. Fuck that.

Some people LOVE standing in long lines. It's a bizarre phenomenon. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eternal Noob said:

If the restaurant wait isn't at least 45 minutes, my wife isn't interested. Mother's Days are always fun.

That’s craziness. Only reason I’d wait is if the expected wait is shorter than the time it would take to drive to the next option. 

I have mixed feeling on people who are willing to wait in a 2 hour line to save 11 dollars. On the one hand I have the sense that they must be losers to have so much time to spend on something so senseless. On the other hand I envy them for having so much free time. 

Tweeting venom that the store was so swamped by losers that you didn’t get to take advantage of the deal because of all the losers, there were 150 more ambitious than you were makes you a double loser 

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Who goes to a mall?

I won't deny that i'll grab a soda or an ice cream and park my ass on a bench and watch the artificial enhancements walk by.

No Shame At All.

20 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'm always amazed at the number of people who don't do shit.

I love seeing what sort of people patronize Walmart at all times of the day.

Of course, some of them are probably thinking the same think about me.

3 hours ago, Lhorn said:

It’s been my experience that they don’t actually play with them. They buy them and they just sit in a big pile, yet they desperately want more of them. 

Another Beanie Baby/Cabbage Patch doll craze?

Geezuz.

Edited by Armybrat

If you think this through, it's summer and a lot of these were prolly stay at home moms who had 5 hours in the middle of a weekday to take their kids to the mall.  Without missing a beat, they'll breathlessly tell you how hard they work and how important their job is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaysOff said:

How poor do you have to be to stand in a line that long? How much is a normal bear? 20 or 30 bucks. Stand in a line all morning to save 10 to 15. Fuck that.

This. Though I think they're closer to $40-$50. Still makes no goddamn sense at all. It's like the morons that go to a jam-packed El Fenix for the Wednesday Enchilada Dinner Special. It's like $2 cheaper than it normally is. (And it's pretty fucking gross.)

those people that were waiting outside the fucking mall in a line stretching back that far should have their children taken from them...before they are shot.  don't want the kids to see that.  

Seriously, most had to know it was not worth it and i would bet my life that 98% just wanted to post on social media about the big 'score' they got that day and how happy it made their kid. If they were selling kidneys for $35 and I just woke up in a tub of ice with a note saying call 911,  I would not wait that long in line.  That's what favor is for.

4 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Some of those fucking things get outrageous.  The 7 year old and I have a tradition where I take her there every year for father's day.  She's done $70-$80 worth of damage there before on more than one occasion.

We kind of lucked out because my niece was willing to wait in line for 1 hour so my wife didn't have to wait in line with 3 kids.  16 bucks for 3 stuffed animals and in return my wife is doing her taxes.  Win/win

We kind of lucked out because my niece was willing to wait in line for 1 hour so my wife didn't have to wait in line with 3 kids.  16 bucks for 3 stuffed animals and in return my wife is doing her taxes.  Win/win
Why is she just now doing taxes? It took a cheap bear to do taxes?
Not really expecting a good answer

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The wife took our daughter. Said the mall was packed and the line was crazy long, so she left. Luckily our daughter is just shy of two and probably didnt understand enough to get excited.

Our 5 year old wanted to do it, so I took he and his sister to Barton Creek Mall this morning.  Got there around 10:15, and the main line was cut off with mall cops at the end, because they sold through their complete stock, and there was a voucher line (I think $15 off or something).  Somebody said there were people lining up at 8am.

Pointed out to my kids that the LEGO store was just down the way, and they were more than happy to skip the BAB shenanigans.

LEGO store was racking up the sales for parents with disappointed kids.