How did/are you dealing with it?

MissingInAction

I watched the game with a friend and her family, so I only had 6 beers or so. Once a few things continued to happen I began to prepare myself for the worst. 

The last 47 seconds gave me hope.

Morgan Freeman Quote GIF

The Dog was with me. She can sense stress so she was at my side which helped alot. 

At the end I laid down and stared at the ceiling for about an hour then slept.

Had whiskey been involved things would have been much different.

So I'm curious how the rest of you coped during and after.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I'm blaming myself because I wore my favorite Texas cap to watch the game. I haven't worn it all year and in previous years, it was bad luck and cost us games. But I thought the curse was broken and I wanted to wear it more so I gambled and put it on. Now, I plan on burning it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 3

Posted (edited)

I had a couple drinks (Forty Creek) before bed, but I still laid awake for a couple hours going over the game in my head. Especially UT's last two red zone possessions and play calls.

We had a legendary comeback opportunity within our grasp and let it slip away.

Edited by Paper_jam
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What’s to deal with?  It was a football game. 

Shit I was getting  texts and calls from people losing their minds. 

We had a great season and frankly I was surprised when I heard the team made into the CFP.

Great things to come.

• Hook 'Em 8

5 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

I am glad I am not driving 10 hours home from NO and have an extra $3k or so in my bank account today.

I had everything set up other than game tickets for my son and I to go.  Friday he calls me and says my stomach really hurts kind of on the lower right.  24 hours later he's getting appendectomy.  So I guess he saved me a few grand.

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

Went back and read all the various threads on Surl, like many was really bummed... then I woke up, worked out, and went to work. Life happens. Still extremely dissapointed but excited already for next season. 

• Hook 'Em 3

People aren't so distraught yet because it's fresh. It was the same way initially after the 2010 title game ("gilbert is the future!!1!"). Give it time. In a few years people will look back on last night's game with a lot more angst and frustration over how close we came.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Not too bummed until I think about one throw to the end zone and a DB with his arm around AD’s neck and what coulda been a TD with just this or that. In the end I had already assumed the game was over. So the last drive was gravy and I never thought we were going to win. Today I’m more holiday hung over. Bad food and lots of drinking and no exercise for 2-3 weeks. So I’m in full detox mode working some mostly hitting refresh on surly in a manner that would make anyone with OCD blush with embarrassment. Back at life 100% tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Proud of the team. Wish we would have won but definitely would have taken 12-2 w/ a B12 championship + CFP appearance in August (I think I had us with 2 regular season losses in the pre-season poll). Not drinking a drop & watching from my sofa helped my condition immeasurably this morning although I still only got a few hours of sleep (probably didn't need that cup of coffee at 7:30pm).

and here's to bigger & better success in 2024 and beyond.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Given the loss I’m actually glad I started Dry January, though it took forever to fall asleep last night without the aid of booze. I woke up sad and somewhat disappointed, which is better than sad and somewhat disappointed and hungover. Got to enjoy my last vacation day today with my kids without feeling like dogshit. 

After most losses I want no part of reading sports sites or Reddit. We did well enough in the game (and season) that I don’t mind this time. Better team won. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I was frustrated with how we approached the first half and the fumbles in the second. I was proud of the way the team found away to come within 13 yards of winning it, despite the setbacks. I quickly remember that we won the conference and met most of my expectations for the season. The program is in a good place and there’s more talent on the way. Now I hope we keep Baxter/Blue and some DL around.

Could have summed up my own feelings better.

After the last play, my wife (who cares nothing for sports and is not an alum) had a worse reaction that I did. She said, "how terrible to get this far and lose. I feel sick."

I looked at her and said, "not our best game of the year, but I never expected to get here in the first place."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Still numb this afternoon. I mean it WAS RIGHT THERE, and we didn't bring our "A" game. I kind of blacked out and hope all my neighbors hospital stays are short and that they will forgive me. Also sorry about slaughtering and burning all their livestock.

Other than that I guess I'm doing OK. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Uh, I said goodbye to friends and cleaned up the remnants of our little watch party. This morning I was slow to log on for work because my head hurt and I was tired from a few too many beers and shitty sleep, but I got there eventually. I’ve wasted time posting on Surly.

There’s not much to deal with. Ran into a really good team in their own right that happened to be an atrocious matchup. If Penix and Co abusing the Texas defense in route to victory wasn’t on your radar of possible outcomes then either remove the burnt orange shades or pay more attention. Texas won the Big 12 and competed for a national championship, they exceeded my preseason expectations by a significant margin and it was a really fun year. Last night was house money honestly. The OU loss lingered in my mind much longer and more intensely (and still does to an extent).

You can actually feel excitement for the future without ODing on a ridiculous degree of Kool Aid. That takes the edge off.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

I'm blaming myself because I wore my favorite Texas cap to watch the game. I haven't worn it all year and in previous years, it was bad luck and cost us games. But I thought the curse was broken and I wanted to wear it more so I gambled and put it on. Now, I plan on burning it.

Hate to admit it, but for the last 2 years I wore my '05 championship T-shirt. After ousux this year I realized every time I wore it, we lost. It has been permanently retired.

• Like 1

I was pissed off for a lot of the game, not because Texas was losing, but because Texas was getting abused by their passing game and was playing way worse than they should have played.

Then when the miracle opportunity presented itself at the end of the game, it was a gut punch because it would have been an absolutely legendary comeback and it didn’t materialize.

After the game, it was easier to handle because I realized Washington played great, and their QB and receivers were fantastic. The Curry fumbled punt and Colt injury stung more. I’d put this loss similar to the Gideon interception drop in terms of how I feel.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I’m at Deep Eddy. Drinking beer and watching it rain. I think I need to work eventually. 

If I were you, I'd keep drinking.  I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for another couple hours.  

It was a tough game to watch because we made so many silly mistakes and playcalls but yet were somehow still in it until the very end, despite a great Huskies team playing lights-out good.  But it'll hopefully serve as a great stepping stone to greater things in 2024 and beyond.  In a weird way, no moral victory claims or anything, it feels almost as good as our last Sugar Bowl game.  Because I just knew Tom Herman was an out-and-out shitheap from day one.  I'm still not 100% sold on Sark, but this season was a very pleasant surprise at 12-2.  Did not see that coming.  If he keeps the momentum up, we're in great shape for the rest of the decade.  

9 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Still numb this afternoon. I mean it WAS RIGHT THERE, and we didn't bring our "A" game. I kind of blacked out and hope all my neighbors hospital stays are short and that they will forgive me. Also sorry about slaughtering and burning all their livestock.

Other than that I guess I'm doing OK. 

Obligatory user name checks out… 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

This is my religion, sir. Jesus doesn't get me.

26 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Bruce Willis Wtf GIF

24 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Nobody needs your judgment.

18 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Shut up. 

17 minutes ago, mchookem said:

tenor (27).gif

dr-seuss-quote.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)

Fuck last night. Shitty way to end an incredible season but fuck it, I'm excited as fuck for the future. I haven't felt this positive about the Texas program in a long fucking time. I'm not talking about the annual fake rollercoaster bullshit that aggy believes.

Sark is building a program that is made to last. He's building it with amazing, talented guys who believe in what he and the coaches are selling. The culture is real. We had it during the Vince years and Mack pissed it away dying with Colt's class graduating. Even then in that 2009 team, only a few guys had it.

Here's to kicking to shit out of every fucking asshole team on our roster in 2024 and 2025 when we make the CFP again. 

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I’m sad. I just feel bad for the players. You could tell they wanted it after the game. Damn proud of them. Been in my feelings all day. So hard to get here. Low key surprised we were here after years in the abyss. Wasn’t a bad showing. I hope we can get back next year. The extended playoffs are gonna be brutal.

Can’t wait for Ann Arbor.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I was rooting for the win. I don't post in the football section all that often; I love to watch football, especially good/improving teams but honestly I hate the talking heads on tv. Just blather on about this or that and it gets annoying. Just call the game as it happens, show the replay if there's a flag and then please just stop right there. Message boards may get into the weeds, but message boards aren't interrupting my enjoyment of the game with their hot takes either.

So after the conclusion, I was disappointed for the team and all but they had a lot of which to be proud this year and I wish them great success next year.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Losing sucks. Offense will be better next year. Defense needs bodies in the secondary and interior line. I've got no idea what our LB crew looks like outside of Ant.

I don't think this will be our last appearance in the semis. I expect us to be pretty regular visitors to the playoffs from here on out. This should not be a one-off deal.

Donate to Texas One. It matters.

• Hook 'Em 6