Alabama to perform 1st nitrogen gas execution

20 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Why can't we do the needle thing? Shortage of needles, covid?

There have been many botched executions in the last 15 years -- guys taking 45 minutes to an hour just laying there struggling. The makers of the drugs, many in Europe, have refused to provide correctional facilities with their drugs in a moral objection to capital punishment. Some prisons have been accused of purchasing black market generics from shady places supposedly manufactured on a street level. I don't know whether those claims are true or what came from the accusations. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3

There have been many botched executions in the last 15 years -- guys taking 45 minutes to an hour just laying there struggling. The makers of the drugs, many in Europe, have refused to provide correctional facilities with their drugs in a moral objection to capital punishment. Some prisons have been accused of purchasing black market generics from shady places supposedly manufactured on a street level. I don't know whether those claims are true or what came from the accusations. 
Thanks, tracking now.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is so hideous.  The companies that make lethal injection drugs have qualms about it so are not making them anymore, so the bloodthirsty states are having to scrape and scratch around for other ways to do it.

It's like a sign from the universe that maybe we shouldn't be doing this.

Ha, are y'all telling me that Purdue Pharma doesn't want to sell lethal doses of pain medications?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Ha, are y'all telling me that Purdue Pharma doesn't want to sell lethal doses of pain medications?

It’s the tiny volumes that are probably the issue. 

bullets and rope are both still cheap.  Heroin is available.  

or just stop killing people.  Don’t know how that part of the Bible gets lost on the Bible Belt states that still like to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

From a deterrent standpoint, the death penalty isn't stopping anyone from committing a heinous crime. From an economic standpoint, executing someone is much more expensive than just locking someone up and throwing away the key. 

This is correct. It used to be cheap and quick now it’s absurd, the longest process ever and the most expensive thing possible from a penal system perspective. 

when you could sentence a fucker to death and hang them the next day/week or take them out back and shoot them it made “more sense” as a deterrent, because you get caught and you fucking die. 

Why can’t we have a small room with just the prisoner and a TV with every Texas game from the Vince Young national championship year?  

That would not cost so much.  Even when you figure in the cost of buying Brisket a huge Mexican dinner - and whatever he charges to sit in the small room and watch the game - that has to be far more deadly and far less expensive than that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, immamac said:

This is correct. It used to be cheap and quick now it’s absurd, the longest process ever and the most expensive thing possible from a penal system perspective. 

when you could sentence a fucker to death and hang them the next day/week or take them out back and shoot them it made “more sense” as a deterrent, because you get caught and you fucking die. 

There's little or no evidence that the swiftness or sureness of the death penalty would increase its deterrent effect, which is about zero.

And it makes sense, because like many or most crimes, capital offenses are just not rational.  One could not reasonably expect a death penalty defendant to cost-benefit analyze their crimes and nope out of them because the penalty is just too much. "Man, I'd totally do this mass/serial murder if I only got 50 years  . . . . ."

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Is the death penalty flawed in its current execution? Yes.

Are there times when maybe an innocent person was executed? Probably.

Is the death penalty way too expensive when we can just lock them up and throw away the key until they die off of old age? Sure.

Should the death penalty be abolished? No.

Despite all the problems, costs, etc, there are times when we just need to kill the fucker.

Like this guy:

(Don't read it if you can't handle it. Deals with the death of a special needs child.)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/15/louisiana.child.killing/index.html

That guy does not need to breathe air anymore. He confessed. He did it. Take him out back and put a bullet in his brain. Cheap. Easy. I'd be hard pressed not to just throw him in a pen with a bunch of hungry crocs or gators and let them eat him alive. That kind of piece of shit doesn't need to be sitting in a jail cell for 60 years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Why can’t we have a small room with just the prisoner and a TV with every Texas game from the Vince Young national championship year?  

That would not cost so much.  Even when you figure in the cost of buying Brisket a huge Mexican dinner - and whatever he charges to sit in the small room and watch the game - that has to be far more deadly and far less expensive than that. 

First Half GIF

3 hours ago, Modessit said:

Is the death penalty way too expensive when we can just lock them up and throw away the key until they die off of old age? Sure.

Despite all the problems, costs, etc, there are times when we just need to kill the fucker.

Like this guy:

(Don't read it if you can't handle it. Deals with the death of a special needs child.)

That guy does not need to breathe air anymore. He confessed. He did it. Take him out back and put a bullet in his brain. Cheap. Easy. I'd be hard pressed not to just throw him in a pen with a bunch of hungry crocs or gators and let them eat him alive. That kind of piece of shit doesn't need to be sitting in a jail cell for 60 years.

Counterpoint:  23 hours/day in a cell alone for 60 years is infinitely more hellish than a gurney ride.  The DP is just an easy way out, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Modessit said:

Like this guy:

Blaine Milam here in Texas. The only time i couldn’t finish the facts of a case. What he and his girlfriend did to their two year old is the worst I’ve seen or heard. They can both die imo. 

Death penalty might not be a good deterrent, but its recidivism rate can't be beaten.

I used to be very pro- death penalty, and now I am much more against it.  Except for child molesters and if you get caught stealing catalytic converters. Fuck those people.

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I'm sure we can think of something that doesn't include the state participating in vengeance and killing its own citizens. 

Is the law based on any moral clarity these days? I am pro abortion and pro-death penalty so at least I am consistent. I can see the point of being against both abortion and the death penalty, though.

On Tuesday, a California woman who fatally stabbed her boyfriend more than 100 times during what prosecutors called a "cannabis-induced" psychosis was spared prison time. That same judge probably feels that Cannabis is safe and it shouldn't be a crime to smoke it. It seems to me that judge lacks moral clarity whatever his positions may be.

So, getting back to the death penalty, making a moral case seems less important. What is more important is what the majority of people think.

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

"I hate people who kill innocent people"

"Lets use a system of punishment that guarantees we kill innocent people"

No idea how people square these two beliefs.

“Well I’m sure he did something”

especially when it’s a minority that dies. 

• Rage+1 1