Alabama to perform 1st nitrogen gas execution

The DP should be extremely rare.  And it is.  The US, with 350,000,000 people, is averaging just over 22 executions per year for the last 10 years and the trend is down.  But do people really think that Timothy McVeigh should not have been executed?  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

“Well I’m sure he did something”

especially when it’s a minority that dies. 

We all do something and a majority of us will die. Some people just get an earlier start than others.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Buncha bloodthirsty badasses up in here. That's all it is, blood lust. I do, however, agree with the catalytic converter opinion. Had mine taken twice, fuck those people, I'll strangle them myself.

How to be a Badass: 25 Ways to Be Intimidating & Desirable All at Once

When you learn how to be a badass, you kiss goodbye to caring what others think. You don’t care about following the norm. You’re who you are and you own it! 

how to be a badass

14 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

The only way to make DP a deterrent is to make it public. I'm talking center of the town/televised hangings, firing squads, guiletine, whatever.

You do realize that most of the people who would show up to what a public execution are the target demographic for getting executed in public, right?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

You do realize that most of the people who would show up to what a public execution are the target demographic for getting executed in public, right?

I would be for that to, but I don't think that it is a proposal.

28 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

The only way to make DP a deterrent is to make it public. I'm talking center of the town/televised hangings, firing squads, guiletine, whatever.

13 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I'm pretty sure if you put up flyers advertising a public DP, the crowd that arrives may be in for a hell of a surprise. Although, now that I think about it, getting DP'ed to death in a public setting might actually work as a deterrent. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

we've tried that.  throughout human history it's been tried.  we've even tried displaying the bodies past the point of decay as warnings and it still doesn't work.  it becomes a spectacle.  the death penalty as a deterrent does not work. the only arguments for it are as a just consequence for the crime committed and for the inhibition of a continued pattern.  there is a less severe and cheaper option for the latter.  for the former... i waver.

23 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Just use liquid nitrogen instead. Freeze 'em up real good and in a few years stick in Elon's brain-puter after the pesky kinks are worked out. Fire up the joystick and you've got a whole new cyborg workforce.

image.png.11b4721f52a31ea3d220416e15a55033.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Unfortunately the majority of wrongful convictions that include the death penalty are from police/leo misconduct. And I haven’t seen the barometer move on cleaning that up. And there used to be cases where a jury recommended life and judge sends to death row. 

And we need to save all that nitrogen so dealers can screw customers on tire inflation charges.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Unfortunately the majority of wrongful convictions that include the death penalty are from police/leo misconduct. And I haven’t seen the barometer move on cleaning that up. And there used to be cases where a jury recommended life and judge sends to death row. 

And we need to save all that nitrogen so dealers can screw customers on tire inflation charges.

I’d guess that DA misconduct far out weighs police misconduct 

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

But do people really think that Timothy McVeigh should not have been executed?

Life without parole is a much harsher sentence.  I’d much rather be executed than spend the rest of my life in jail, I bet most people would.  Seeing as how I want the most miserable sentence for people like McVeigh, the short answer to your question is yes.  He got off easy.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Your Mom said:

Life without parole is a much harsher sentence.  I’d much rather be executed than spend the rest of my life in jail, I bet most people would.  Seeing as how I want the most miserable sentence for people like McVeigh, the short answer to your question is yes.  He got off easy.  

I probably would too, but it seems that most death row inmates argue for life without parole as their sentence approaches.  So, back my first post, because it’s such a rare occurrence, I’d be in favor of giving the convicted murderer the choice.  They can either accept life without parole or a quick DP.  I’d be interested in seeing how many choose the DP.  

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we've tried that.  throughout human history it's been tried.  we've even tried displaying the bodies past the point of decay as warnings and it still doesn't work.  it becomes a spectacle. 

In Jolly Old England crimes against cut purses often included the death penalty. I’ve read where big crowds would assemble to watch the executions.  The hangings resulted in cut purses using that opportunity to steal from people in the crowd looking up and focusing on the hangings. In other words, it was not a deterrent.

• Hook 'Em 2

In Jolly Old England crimes against cut purses often included the death penalty. I’ve read where big crowds would assemble to watch the executions.  The hangings resulted in cut purses using that opportunity to steal from people in the crowd looking up and focusing on the hangings. In other words, it was not a deterrent.

Maybe not. But, “cutpurse” will always be one of my favorite names for a type of criminal.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and I agree with the principle that some bastards need killing.  I just haven't figured out how we create a system that kills those guys, and ONLY those guys.  Millenia of trying tells us that it can't be done.

My only solution is that you give them life with no parole, put them in with genpop, and hope that takes care of it.  

Short of that, I don't know how you can reform a shitty state-sponsored system of trial and execution so that it can off those guys, and only those guys, so it isn't worth it, in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My only solution is that you give them life with no parole, put them in with genpop, and hope that takes care of it.  

Short of that, I don't know how you can reform a shitty state-sponsored system of trial and execution so that it can off those guys, and only those guys, so it isn't worth it, in my opinion.

If the crime is bad enough to actually warrant the death penalty, wouldn’t the wrongly convicted be at the same risk of inmate justice as the truly guilty?

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If the crime is bad enough to actually warrant the death penalty, wouldn’t the wrongly convicted be at the same risk of inmate justice as the truly guilty?

Yes, but in that case the state isn't killing them in an expensive execution process.  Taking your rhetorical point to the logical extreme, we shouldn't jail anybody for fear that the wrongfully imprisoned (for capital murder or auto theft) will get killed by other inmates.  

After working in law enforcement for a short time, I realized that many of the people involved just cannot be trusted to do the right thing (or the smart thing) and that the death penalty needs to just go away.

That being said, I don't buy the whole argument of "OH! It's so much more expensive than a life sentence!". And the reasoning is always the cost of appeals, lawyers, judges, investigators, etc. Those fuckers aren't gonna suddenly be out of a job when the DP goes away. They'll still be working on all the other crimes that don't involve the DP. Shit, they'll probably be happy to have a couple of cases taken off their backs.

10 hours ago, Modessit said:

Is the death penalty flawed in its current execution? Yes.

Are there times when maybe an innocent person was executed? Probably.

Is the death penalty way too expensive when we can just lock them up and throw away the key until they die off of old age? Sure.

Should the death penalty be abolished? No.

Despite all the problems, costs, etc, there are times when we just need to kill the fucker.

Like this guy:

(Don't read it if you can't handle it. Deals with the death of a special needs child.)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/15/louisiana.child.killing/index.html

That guy does not need to breathe air anymore. He confessed. He did it. Take him out back and put a bullet in his brain. Cheap. Easy. I'd be hard pressed not to just throw him in a pen with a bunch of hungry crocs or gators and let them eat him alive. That kind of piece of shit doesn't need to be sitting in a jail cell for 60 years.

I'm guessing you're more of an Old Testament Christian vs. a New Testament Christian.  Eye for an eye and all that, right?  Who cares if we murder a few innocent people along the way to satiate bloodlust?  Take the fuckers like you posted and lock them up forever.  No parole.

• Hook 'Em 2

One of many things that grinds my gears about the death penalty is courts refusing to allow DNA evidence into a case.  That seems like a big deal and something that should be checked before the state kills someone.  I have no idea what the reasoning against the use of DNA evidence would be other than the prosecutors thinking "Yeah, we know this person is innocent but we got a conviction anyway and don't won't to risk it getting overturned."

One last thought along these lines, if you are a prosecutor or cop that is found to have fucked with evidence or other bad shit (forcing a confession, etc); then you should be subject to the same penalty that the person you're trying is subject to.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Just use liquid nitrogen instead. Freeze 'em up real good and in a few years stick in Elon's brain-puter after the pesky kinks are worked out. Fire up the joystick and you've got a whole new cyborg workforce.

Fuck YES!!

hasta-la-vista-baby.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

How often do multi-millionaires get the death penalty? Is such a thing even possible?

very, very, rare. I was thinking Murdaugh recently.  Appears he got life.

Labor racketeer Louis “Lepke” Buchalter made millions in the 1920s and ’30s. Under investigation for extortion and murder, Lepke — head of the notorious organized-crime hit squad nicknamed Murder, Inc. — waged a “war of extermination” against potential informants. Dozens died, but the scorched-earth policy backfired, encouraging targets to take their chances with the law; one witness at Buchalter’s eventual murder trial in 1941 agreed to testify only after being shot in the head on Buchalter’s instructions. Buchalter was convicted despite spending an estimated quarter million on his defense. He appealed as far as the U.S. Supreme Court but was finally electrocuted in 1944. That’s one.

Perhaps other executed crime bosses were millionaires. One candidate is drug kingpin Juan Garza, exact worth unknown, executed by the feds in 2001 for murder. Call that two.

https://www.straightdope.com/21343781/have-any-millionaires-ever-been-executed-in-the-united-states

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

The ole blood and circus. We really are at the fall of the Roman empire.

My hot and unpopular take is this:

I do not think the death penalty is humane or just and it doesn’t have a place in a modern society. 

I also believe that it is highly inappropriate to use pseudo-medical and “humane” procedures like asphyxiation or injection to take a life. They are not particularly humane to the executed, they are really psychological aids to soothe our collective consciousness about the awful reality that we are taking a human life.

I believe that as long as we insist on doing this, we should use the guillotine. It is idiot proof, fast, and painless to the executed, horrifying and bloody to the people watching or doing the killing. Governors, DAs, sentencing judges and sentencing juries should be required to attend and watch. Don’t duck around or hide from the reality of what we are doing. I think we’d see the support for this dry up pretty quick.

• Hook 'Em 5